Start by marking “HatHeads: 1 Man + 2 Knitting Needles = 50 Fun Hat Designs” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  18 reviews
After teaching himself to knit, author Trond Anfinnsen found that pull-on hats—aka beanies or skullies—were the perfect-size project. As his pile of hats grew, so did his knitting skills, and soon he began personalizing the hats for family, friends, and friends of friends. Each person received a unique hat designed to suit his or her coloring, personality, and style—all fo ...more
Published July 28th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about HatHeads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HatHeads

Amy!
Apr 26, 2014 Amy! added it
Recommended to Amy! by: 55
Shelves: knitting
This is pretty wonderful. Anfinnsen has a simple, easy to read style of writing, and his blurbs about the hat recipients before each pattern are so sweet.

I'm not likely to knit any of these patterns, as they don't fit my knitting aesthetic, but it's worth checking out at the library just to read about his experiences knitting so many hats.
Karen
Hat pattern book written by a knitting guy in Norway. He knitted hats for everyone he knew, and took pictures of them wearing the hats. I have started one with a butterfly pattern that I thought was cute, but his needle suggestion is way off from what I would normally use. I don't usually knit a swatch, because hats usually fit someone, but this one is coming out very small. I was suspicious because I normally use a size 7 needle with the same number of cast on stitches and he was using a size 4 ...more
R
I take this book out every year Christmas gift knitting comes around!
Janet
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and love the concept of knitting hats and documenting with photos and bios of the recipients. The author took up knitting after watching one of his high-energy friends sitting calmly and knitting:

" . . . when he was knitting, he was at rest, gathering energy and losing himself in thought. Knitting seemed like a kind of meditation, directing his energy inward.

For Trond Anfinnsen, knitting turned out to be what he imagined it would be -- relaxing and meditative. I c
angrykitty
well, i received a gift certificate to a bookstore for christmas, and so i went and got this book. it's ok, but the hats are really pretty much the same style throughout, with different patterns...here's the interesting part, when i went to pay for the book i gave the cashier my gift certificate plus a $20 (the certificate wasn't going to cover the cost)...and what does the cashier try to give me back for change??? the remainder on the gift certificate!!! needless to say, i rectified this situat ...more
Melissa
Trond taught himself to knit in 2006 then went on to make 200 hats for members if his town in Norway. While the hat patterns are mostly beanie-styled with variations on color, the real reason to read this book is for the little story Trond gives about each person wearing their hat (50 hats/people are include but nearly all the hats are pictures somewhere). A very sweet and warm book.
Anne Hawn Smith
Another great hat book! I've made several of the hats multiple times. One of the thing I like about this book is that the author took a picture of himself in the same setting wearing each hat. It makes it wonderful to get an idea of how each hat fits. For each of the hats, the author tells about the person it was made for and has a picture of the wearer.
Miss Mouse
This is the most fun knitting book I've read with patterns that I'd never make. The author is a Norwegian (I think) gent who designed a number of hats for his family and friends who also model them. Each picture has the person's name and a little blurb about them and why the hat matches them. It was a very fun read. This guy should have a podcast.
Nancy
Trond Anfinnsen's short bios for each hat wearer, combined with the simply perfect photos, fall somewhere between tweets and haiku and are a huge reason to love this book, if you didn't already love the idea of somebody knitting hats for his family, friends, and the mayor. Like a family album-party, and you're invited.
Tina
I bought this book because my husband said he wanted a beanie and I wanted some design choices for him to look at. I got that and so much more...I loved reading about the Knitting Project and about each of the 50 hat receipients. Great Book!
Marlan
It's that time of year again. The designs look cute and the explanations seem fairly simple. Hope people like knitted hats for Xmas. :)

update: The yarn for this book is suprisingly tiny! No worsted weight here. :(
Katie
i've decided to keep track of the knitting books i like from the library, so i can find them again. i learned a lot about making your own hat patterns from this guy (the genesis of the super mario & galaga hats)
Meghan
A guy in Norway knits 50 hats for different friends, family, and people in his town (like the mayor.) They're all basically the same beanie style, which makes it fun to flip through and note the variations.
Cat
In one sense, the book is a one-trick pony. There's only one basic hat shape here. On the other hand, the color patterns are inspiring.
Mary
This was a really good book that explained why knit hats and how to design your own hat.
Jessica Siegel Weaver
Very amusing! Got this as a Chrismahanukwanzukah gift.
Leslie Jem
This would be an excellent resource for colorwork hats.
Gregory
50 hats, 50 heads, 1 basic pattern...endless possibilities.
Michelle Fobbs
Michelle Fobbs marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Sai Eithet
Sai Eithet marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014