Start by marking “Yoshi's Feast” as Want to Read:
Yoshi's Feast

Yoshi's Feast

When Yoshi's neighbor, Sabu, the eel broiler, attempts to charge him for the delicious-smelling aromas he has been enjoying. Yoshi hatches a plan to enrich them both.
Published July 18th 2003 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Yoshi's Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoshi's Feast

Cheryl
Sep 22, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Wonderful retelling of a Japanese folktale with beautiful intricate illustrations. Made me laugh. Definitely a keeper.
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
"Yoshi's Feast" is a folklore book and was published in 2000. This book is a winner of the Teachers Choice: International Reading Association award. The book explains how the neighbors fued over how Yoshi would smell the eel catchers boiling eels everyday and would get distracted from doing his job of making paper fans. The two characters fight over a bill that Yoshi writes the neighbor about smelling eel instead of making money. The story ends surprisingly, but youll have to read to find out wh ...more
Jaylyn
Feb 25, 2015 Jaylyn rated it liked it
Personal Reaction- Great book on Japanese culture and food that comes from Japan. Easy read with interesting vocabulary and the main character goes through many difficult things but still dances and stays positive.

Purposes:

Yoshi's Feast would be good for 2nd-3rd graders. The vocabulary used is unique to Japanese culture and would be good for students to get familiar with. Words like "hibachi," "eels," and "sizzling" give this book an edge and would be good at broadening students vocabulary. A gr
Nicole Perez
I loved this story so much because of the humorous writing and the wonderful message: You get what you pay for! It's a folklore about two feuding neighbors. Yoshi, a fan maker, smelled delicious eels caught and cooked by his neighbor Sabu, and refuses to buy them. Yoshi doesn't want to spend his money on Sabu's eels, and would rather smell them as he eats his rice. Sabu is angered by this and writes up a bill for Yoshi as well as cooks stinky samma. Eventually they come to an agreement that bene ...more
Zahava Davis
Yoshi's Feast is a story picture book about 30 pages long with about a paragraph on each page. It follows a characters named Yoshi who stays positive and dances though there is negativity around him. The vocabulary has educational words on Japanese culture and also great onomatopoeias when he is dancing. The illustrations are very geometric and expand the readers knowledge on Japanese culture even further.

This book would be a nice addition to a cultural unit. When introducing students to the Jap
Jessica
Dec 01, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
A story that takes place in Japan. Every day Yoshi's neighbor Sabu catches and cooks delicious eels. But nobody comes to Sabu hibachi because it is out of the way. Yoshi does not want to spend his money on the eels; instead he enjoys the smell with his rice. Sabu is upset by this so he makes stinky samma. Yoshi and Sabu come up with a agreement that benefits them both. A great story about Japanese culture.
Luann
Aug 21, 2011 Luann rated it liked it
I read this for a library storytime this summer with a theme of folk tales from around the world. This is a folk tale from Japan. It was a touch too long for a perfect storytime book, but I read it first and it seemed to mostly keep the kids' interest. I particularly enjoyed the detailed illustrations and the resolution to the problem between the two neighbors.
Cailean
Jan 25, 2008 Cailean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
I just loved this book. When my kids weren't in the mood to read it (we got it from the library), I would read it myself. I loved the artistic drawings - seemed to be paper art. It tells a well-known story about two warring neighbors who fight over customers and then grow to work together and have fun. The way this book is typeset and the way the graphics are, it just is so fun to read!
Julie Esanu
Mar 29, 2012 Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
An adaption of a traditional Japanese folk tale. Yoshi's neighbor makes the most delicious smelling broiled eels in Yedo, but he is too cheap to buy them so he enjoys them vicariously. His neighbor Sabu believes that Yoshi is the reason that he is poor and demands payments for the delicious smells. So begins the feud until they find a way out their differences to their mutual benefit.
Salsabrarian
Yoshi loves broiled eels. His neighbor Sabu makes and sells broiled eels. Yoshi believes his neighbor should share the leftovers. Sabu believes Yoshi should pay for them. But Yoshi is too stingy to pay. After a hilarious dispute involving Yoshi paying for the smell of the eels with the sound of his clinking money, they both work together to bring Sabu more customers.
Amy
Dec 22, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This book is about Yoshi, who loves the smell of his neighbor Sabu's roasted eels. Being cheap, he will never buy them, until one day Sabu begins cooking the stinkiest fish instead of the eels. Yoshi attracts a crowd to come to Sabu's hibachi for his eel. Then, as friends, they share the eel each night. This book is funny!

Sun Hee  Yoon
Jul 31, 2012 Sun Hee Yoon rated it really liked it
While reading this book to my daughter, I smelled of delicious smoky, broiled eels which made me drool. I also danced with my daughter on the sound of coin jingles. Chin Jara Jara.. Chin Jara Jara, this book will entertain you with its cultural wit and sense of humor.
Purple
Feb 06, 2010 Purple rated it it was amazing
This book is really funny. A great read aloud as it has sounds which make students want to dance along. Yoshi and his neighbor Sabu have a feud. They finally solve it in a peaceful way. Not a bad message for young and old alike.
Anna
Feb 13, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
So fun! I very cleaver book about a Japanese fan maker and his neighbor a chief. Great lessons, fun sounds, and lively illustrations. Some of the words were a little hard to pronounce though so you might want to double check before using for story time.
TW Mystery Reader
When Yoshi's neighbor, Sabu, the eel broiler, attempts to charge him for the delicious-smelling aromas he has been enjoying, Yoshi hatches a plan to enrich them both.
Francesca Vassalli
Jul 07, 2016 Francesca Vassalli rated it really liked it
Nice story of traditional japan, but what strikes the reader are the outstanding pictures, light and elegant as japanese culture is.
M.L. Desir
Great use of sound words (onomatopoeia) and charming characters are a highlight of this beautifully illustrated children's book.
Rose
Jul 05, 2008 Rose rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art work and a great story.
Darth
Jul 05, 2015 Darth rated it really liked it
So cute! I loved this little tale, and the illustrations looked like origami!
Cheryl
Apr 01, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Cooperation and being a good neighbor are part of this story.
Heather Gunnell
Heather Gunnell rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2017
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2017
Holly Thompson
Holly Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Laura Z
Laura Z rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Colleen
Dec 20, 2010 Colleen added it
Shelves: 4th-grade
What's It Worth? unit 7
Theme Library
Robin Berman
Robin Berman rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2017
Kala
Kala rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Kimiko's true love of reading and writing began one day at her local library. Kimiko says, "My local librarian asked me if I had ever read Harriet the Spy. She said that it was a great book, and I immediately took it home. I read the entire book that day! I was so disappointed when it ended that I reread it immediately. I had to find a way to keep the spirit of Harriet the Spy alive with me, so I ...more
More about Kimiko Kajikawa...