Start by marking “Old Kyoto: A Guide to Traditional Shops, Restaurants and Inns” as Want to Read:
Old Kyoto: A Guide to Traditional Shops, Restaurants and Inns

Old Kyoto: A Guide to Traditional Shops, Restaurants and Inns

A completely revised version of the classic guidebook to Kyoto, with a foreword by Donald Richie.
Down the cobbled paths and behind the tranquil noren curtains of Kyoto, the old way of life goes on, nurtured in the restrained furnishings of the traditional inns and in the old shops where fine handmade items still add a touch of quality to life.
Since the first edition appe
Published April 1st 2005 by Kodansha (first published December 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Old Kyoto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Kyoto

Jul 20, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wanderlust
Two days with this book in Kyoto was clearly, CLEARLY not enough. Especially after you are "temple-ed" out after one day, as those of you who have been to Kyoto very well know. It is a treasure-trove of traditional shops that make everything from artisan paper and paints, noodles, soy sauce, baskets, buckets, combs, tea, and beautiful Japanese textiles. It also includes guides to a few of the ryokans (traditional Japanese inns) and eateries (noodle shops, ramen shops, soba shops - most have a sp ...more
Barry Lancet
Jan 03, 2014 Barry Lancet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
Many consider Kyoto the cradle of Japanese culture and crafts. While much of Japanese culture was created outside Kyoto, there can be no doubt that the “ancient capital” of Japan has much to offer even today. Diane Durston fell in love with Kyoto and lived there for sixteen years. She learned to navigate the demanding rituals and win the trust of the locals.

Even in her day, vast swatches of the traditional neighborhoods were falling to modernization. Durston struck upon the idea of introducing
Kay
Aug 03, 2007 Kay rated it really liked it
I have one serious complaint about this book: it frustrated me! I wished I'd had months, no years to follow Durston's recommendations of places to go. I did manage just a few of them, and her observations were spot on. I couldn't help but be saddened, though, at how fast these traditional establishments are disappearing. Lots of history and cultural background to help the visitor appreciate the city more fully. One thing's for sure: by following Durston's recommendations, you won't be on the bea ...more
Billy
Apr 18, 2007 Billy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone going to Kyoto and the surrounding areas!
When you go to a place as special as Kyoto following the standard guidebooks just feels empty. Yeah the palaces, gardens, and temples are gorgeous and worth seeing, but the soul of the place lies in wandering around, getting lost, and seeing where the people live and work. With this book I came away from Kyoto feeling like I had a much more special experience than if I had just gone to the sights (which are amazing as well by the way, don't miss the Philosopher's Path). In short buy this book!
Joyce
Mar 21, 2009 Joyce added it
Shelves: librarybook
Given the average age of the craftspeople in the photos of this book, the traditional "special things" are almost dead. Which is probably just as well, since the Japanese aesthetic from Day One has been about the eroticism of loss, death, and decay... But if you visit Kyoto soon, you might be able to grab up an indigo-dyed banner, a set of combs, or some traditional pickles using this guidebook.
Jeff Clay
Nov 18, 2013 Jeff Clay rated it it was amazing
Whether you are traveling to Kyoto or just want to read about the old capital, Diane Durston's book evokes a palatable sense of what and where the old places are. Kyoto is very special but sometimes you have to dig beneath the busy modern surface to see what makes it so. Wander off the boulevards and glimpses of centuries past are still possible. This book will help put you on that path.
A.S.
Feb 10, 2015 A.S. rated it really liked it
Old Kyoto: A Guide to Traditional Shops, Restaurants and Inns served as a handy companion on my two-week exploration of the city. I visited many of the shops listed in the book, including fun finds such and the fu (wheat gluten) factory and a traditional tofu stall.
Will Clodfelter
Jun 08, 2013 Will Clodfelter rated it it was amazing
Great guide to Kyoto. Leverage this along with current maps and restaurants and you'll have a great trip. I've used this guide on 4 different trips to Kyoto and it still helps me find new places.
Emily
Jun 21, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan-nonfiction
A fascinating peak at a quickly disappearing traditional Kyoto. More of an add-on to an itinerary rather than an all-inclusive guide book. Great for armchair travelers as well.
Anne Ritchings
Anne Ritchings rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Joao
Joao rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Catherina
Catherina rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011
Magdalene
Magdalene rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Crownedjitter
Crownedjitter rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Joe M
Joe M rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Harriet Lawrence
Harriet Lawrence rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Elizabeth Blake
Elizabeth Blake rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Sukhman Bains
Sukhman Bains rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Karen Marie
Karen Marie rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
David R
David R rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2008
ian kennedy
May 15, 2010 ian kennedy rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite guides to Kyoto pointing you to shops off the beaten path.
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Catherine Bell
Catherine Bell rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013