Boulevard (Hayden Glass, #1)

Boulevard (Hayden Glass #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Hayden Glass never had it easy. After losing his father at a young age,he fought hard for everything he got, haunted bya shame that hecould never defineor conquer. Now a Los Angeles Police Robbery and Homicide detective,Glassis still haunted bythe scarsthat formed in his childhoodand left a permanent void inhis soul. He deals with it in a very defeating way . . . . he stro...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2009)

Rachel Brady
This one blew me away. I was hooked from the start, and then became irritated and grouchy when real-life interruptions got in the way of my read. That's a very good sign. :)

In Boulevard, Schwartz's debut thriller, we're introduced to a troubled protagonist, Hayden Glass, a dedicated and gifted robbery and homicide investigator plagued by a private demon, sex addiction. Slowly, we learn the many facets of Hayden's true self that have been lost to his addiction, but what really brought this charac...more
Giovanni Gelati
I have read so many novels that involve Los Angeles’s Parker Center that I feel as if I have been there many times. Boulevard is another one of those detective stories that revolves around it and all the infighting and politics that go along with it. Before you click away though, understand that Stephen Jay Schwartz has penned a very good debut novel that has a very warped twist to it. For some reason the novels that I have posted on for this week seem to have a certain trend to them: twisted ,...more
Eric_W
Really an excellent police procedural reminiscent of Michael Connelly. Hayden Glass is a Robbery Homicide detective​​​​​ assigned to the murder of a politically powerful Councilman's daughter. Hayden is also a recovering sex addict who attends meetings of a group similar to AA so the audience gets a sense of deja vu thinking one might be reading a Lawrence Block Matt Scudder novel albeit with a different emphasis. Unfortunately, Hayden's presence in the group has made some of the members uncomfo...more
Page
Tattered Cover Book Store
Mark L says:

"Boulevard" is a tightly focused, whiplash story that will keep you up all night. It is a steam engine plot with throttle wide open and train wreck lives of characters that seem as far from fiction as they could possibly be.

With all of the relationships in his life reeling from the self-destructive hurricane of his personal life, and a serial-killer who targets his victims based on the compulsions and addictions that ravage Detective Hayden Glass (and which he has disclosed in his fa...more
John Sheridan
An engrossing serial killer book with an ending not dissimilar to Se7en. Detective Hayden Glass is seriously flawed and on a downward spiral, he's lost his wife because of his sexual addiction problem and he's having serious problems getting past step 3 in his 12 step programme and that's before he gets kicked out of his addiction group as the other members aren't comfortable with having a cop there so when a murderer starts killing people he knows only he knows the deaths are related as he can'...more
Leslie Kohler
Fast paced read about the under belly of the boulevards of LA. A great sketch of a protagonist, Hayden
Glass, who is flawed and conflicted. His world of addiction and his professional one as a vice/homicide detective collide, causing his world to collapse. And when he is stalked by a psychopath, all of those around him are targeted for disaster.
Kristen
This book is not for the sensitive or queasy person. It is a fast paced, action packed book with vivid imagery and some scenes that are definitely not for the faint of heart.
Jay
Best book that I've read in a long time. Shocking, gripping, well written, intense and full of twists.
Andrew
2.5 stars. Almost a good story, almost good writing.
Lawrence FitzGerald
Two stars? Kinda harsh. After all, it's a first novel. More like 2.5 stars.

What went wrong? Characterization. You know the characterization in a novel has been at least adequate when you understand the motivations for the actions of the characters. This is a bit different than being told after the fact why a character did something. Boulevard fails that test.

There is a lot of back story on the lead character, homicide detective Hayden Glass, and some decent insight into a few of the minor charac...more
Robert Wells
Overall a really nice (in that it kept me turning the pages) yet dark novel. Hayden Glass is definitely a flawed person - he's an addict whose drug of choice is sex, and since he once worked vice and now works Robbery/Homicide for LAPD, one could see how this may be an issue. And it is. But Detective Glass, while socially defined as an addict, does still have some morals, and it is these morals that ultimately prove who Glass is as a person.

What I found most interesting about this story was the...more
Boulevard is a book that will haunt you long after you read it. It's dark, grisly, and disturbing. A book hasn't affected me like this in a long time and I love it! I wasn't drawn into it instantaneously. It's one of those books that creeps up on you but once it takes a hold, you have to know how it ends. Hayden Glass is complex, deeply flawed, and utterly unforgettable. I love books that expose different facets of the Los Angeles beach communities I know and love. I will never be able to cruise...more
Bill M.
The first thing that needs to be said about BOULEVARD is that it is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart. This is bitter black noir in which the protagonist is almost as deeply screwed up as the people he's both trying to lock up and save. Personally, I loved the oppressive Los Angeles atmosphere and the tight plotting, but some readers might be turned off by the intensity of the subject matter. For those with a taste for the darker side of genre fiction, BOULEVARD is a sure thing. It wil...more
Pat
May 14, 2012 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who loves police procedurals and tight crime ficiton.
This was a really good first novel. Hayden Glass is like no other homicide detective I've ever read about. A sex addict who takes hookers off the street to have sex. His biggest problem is his job takes him down the streets where vice of all kinds is ubiquitous. Though he attends a sex addicts anonymous he finds it hard to quit. When Glass spots a trend in a series of homicides that bring back his past and makes his future very doubtful.
Jessica B
Great new writer I discovered thanks to Twitter and following independent booksellers' tweets! It's a whole new world out there, I tell you!
Anyway, this is the first of two books featuring an LAPD detective who is flawed beyond belief. Engaging writing, great albeit dark, dark story, multi-faceted characters. In short, I'm hooked!
REad it and it was engrossing. Now, what to read? Know what I mean?
Sandy Kell
A well-written 1st novel that I read mainly because of glowing reviews from some of my favorite writers in the LA cop genre. BUT....as hard as I tried, I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in the sex-addicted LA cop, Hayden Glass; not as a person, a friend, a lover, and not even as a policeman. Still, morbid curiosity did keep me reading to the end, but I'm not going to rush out for the sequel.
Kerry
A truely gritty book about a cop investingating murders while trying to control his sex addiction. I still can't decide if I hate this guy or like him or just feel sorry for him. And if a character is that complex I guess he's written pretty well. This book really shows the underside of the streets. I will try the next one in the series Beat and hopefully that will clear up my ambiguity on the lead guy.
Laquita Logan
I have just finished this book and I really have no idea what to think....to be glad I am finished because J have finally gotten to the end or to be glad I am finished so that I can go wash my hands. I have never read a book with so conflicted a character as Hayden. I am unsure whether I would recommend to someone to read. I will read book 2 and see if it changes my thoughts about book 1.
Zach
Not for Everyone!!

Schwartz creates a highly flawed and unique character in Hayden Glass.

His descriptions of Hayden's internal battles (for the most part) are raw and unflinching and create an intersting tension overlayed over what could have been a run of the mill procedural.

The novel also has an ending that is actually a surprise!

Debbie
I didn't care for this book, it was quite graphic, but I hung on hoping the story would end with some redeeming quality, which it did not. The author did know his material very well, which impressed me.
Jim
The interesting aspects of this cop's character were sacrificed by the expendiency of the thriller plot, the exploitative aspects of his addiction, and the rote over-the-top evil genius.
Sara Kuberski
Story line just didn't really hold my attention but the ending could have saved it. Instead it totally killed it. Doubtful that I would go back to this author or character.
Hrn1947
Need to take a shower inside and out after this. This guy is no Harry Bosch. This guy is off the scale. No happy ending here. Can't see a series.
Mark
Mesmerizing freight train of a book. Gripping analysis of addiction and twelve steps in the context of a police procedural. Outstanding.
Robin
Oct 17, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read
New suspense/thriller with an interesting character: He's a vice cop with a sex addiction.
Robert Bravo
Great book but definitely not for someone who does not want to read graphic violence.
Cynthia
unprobable story, gruesome murders, but i finished it.
Tina
Fast-paced, gripping and, oddly enough, haunting.
Ronald Broun
Very dark, very graphic, and very good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
STEPHEN JAY SCHWARTZ grew up in New Mexico and traveled the United States extensively before settling down in Los Angeles. There he became the Director of Development for Wolfgang Petersen, helping develop films such as Outbreak and Air Force One.
More about Stephen Jay Schwartz...
Beat (Hayden Glass, #2) Crossing the Line Boulevard (Detective Hayden Glass Series) Making Story: Twenty-One Writers On How They Plot