Start by marking “Two-Fisted Science” as Want to Read:
Two-Fisted Science

Two-Fisted Science

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Xeric Award-winning graphic novel is back in print, in a new edition! From Galileo to Isaac Newton to Richard Feynman, you'll be amazed how the personalities of the scientists who shaped our world shaped their lives and discoveries. Some are serious, some are humorous, yet each is a compelling tale of science history.
Published October 20th 2009 by G T Labs (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Two-Fisted Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two-Fisted Science

Theresa
Dec 03, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
Yes indeed this is heavy on Richard Feynman; but since I personally really dig Feynman, that's not an issue. Ottaviani's book all about him has several of the Feynman scenes re-illustrated in a more cohesive way in his graphic novel... (let me just type this name one more time:) Feynman.

The comics are very short, but anyone with a basic knowledge of science history (mostly around WW II) will probably not need boatloads of extra context. I'm your standard clown and I got through it. Lots of refer
Keith Davis
A collection of short pieces with anecdotes about famous scientists by various artists. The format is kind of reminiscent of the Big Book series from Paradox Press that did graphic collections on topics like conspiracies and urban legends.

More than half the book is taken up by stories about physicist Richard Feynman. Feynman is certainly an interesting character, a sort of minor cult of personality has grown up about him over the years, but these stories are well known. The book could have been
Nathan
Oct 13, 2014 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited when I'd heard about this book, but it was really sort of a let down. Most of the stories were too short to really gain anything from, and most of the time you really couldn't even tell what was happening. It's a great idea, but it was poorly implemented.
Goldstein
When it was good it was good, when it was bad, it was illegible.

I didn't have enough background for the pro-and epilogue to make sense.

Feynman's stories had enough detail to be both interesting and new, BUT the switching from one author to another was confusing, and some of the fonts were hard to read there also.

The safe-cracker series was the best STORY all in all (4 stars), but it had very little science, which given the title was a let-down.
Bonnie Stufflebeam
The bits regarding Feynman, which really makes up most of the book, were great. I didn't know anything about this particular scientist until reading, and now I'm definitely intrigued. A couple of the strips were a little dumb, such as "Shoulders of Giants." And none of the rest interested me as much as the Feynman stories.
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Ottaviani can pretty much do no wrong in my mind. As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although I was a bit disappointed in reading a lot of repeat material, having already read Feynman.
Priya
Oct 22, 2011 Priya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved to get to know the conditions and circumstances under which these great minds worked for all of us to have a future today.

Amazing collection of stories! Becoming a fan of Ottaviani.
Must read!
roland zoe
Buku ini berisi tentang cerita-cerita para ahli ahli dunia dalam menemukan teori-teori dan penemuan yang kemudian kita kenal saat ini. Perjalanan mereka dipenuhi cerita-cerita unik, konyol bahkan yang cukup menyedihkan.
Rich
Oct 24, 2011 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding in every way. The stories are interesting and they even have a page talking about my favorite Bertrand Russell story (it's turtles all the way down). Scientists are the real rock stars, man...
Aarti
Feb 06, 2012 Aarti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea, but poor execution. No idea what the context on any of these stories really was, or how many of these scientists contributed to our collective knowledge.
Bunga Mawar
Sep 22, 2010 Bunga Mawar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-s-mine
Di buku ini, cerita tentang ilmuwan fisika sableng tukang bobol brankas, Richard Feynman,-nya lumayan banyak! :)
Walau memang sebagian sumbernya udah pernah saya baca.
Indah Threez Lestari
Saksikan bagaimana Richard Feyman menggunakan waktu luangnya untuk membobol brankas ;)
Hindraswari enggar
Di balik penemuan besar, sebuah kisah pergulatan para ilmuwan terkemuka. penerbit KPG
M
Jul 14, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mythology, science
The Feynman bits were the best, although I'd already heard most of them.
Mike
Nov 21, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Science.
Two-Fisted Science.

Need I say more?
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Annie Sem
Annie Sem marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Jan 23, 2016
John McCord
John McCord rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Danny Nelson
Danny Nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Bimo
Bimo rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Ralph Saint-Laurent
Ralph Saint-Laurent marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Shelley Wolland
Shelley Wolland marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Dov
Dov rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
K.Lee Mill
K.Lee Mill marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Andre Simonsen
Andre Simonsen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Lis
Lis marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • King, The Complete Edition: A Comics Biography of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Finder, Vol. 03: King of the Cats
  • Homeland Insecurity: The Onion Complete News Archives, Volume 17
  • Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition
  • The Escapists
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #2)
  • Alec: The King Canute Crowd
  • The People's Doonesbury: Notes from Underfoot, 1978-1980
  • Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned
  • James Sturm's America: God, Gold, and Golems
  • Cartoon Guide to the Environment
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
  • Light Brigade
  • Wolfsong (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #2)
  • Under New Management (Schlock Mercenary, #3)