Start by marking “It's a Snap!: George Eastman's First Photo” as Want to Read:
It's a Snap!: George Eastman's First Photo

It's a Snap!: George Eastman's First Photo

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 1877 in Rochester, New York, George Eastman couldn’t understand why picture-taking was so difficult. Having left school at fourteen to support his mother and two sisters, George decided to find out by making photography his hobby. He packed up glass plates, a plate holder, a tent, a heavy tripod, a thick piece of black cloth, a water jug, and chemicals and set off to ta ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about It's a Snap!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Snap!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
After I read this, I wanted to learn more about George Eastman. I grew up not far from Rochester, NY, where he grew up, and yet I knew nothing about him. I wonder what he would think of today's digital cameras? Recommended for shutterbugs and New Yorkers.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I love the author's children's biographies, and this was the last book I still had to read in this series, wanting to catch up before a new one came out.

This is a fun picture book told in a storyteller voice. There are no dates or dry facts; instead we have here an entertaining story of a man who was frustrated with how difficult (and expensive!) it was to take just one picture. If he was going to do this as a hobby he really needed to figure out a better way to take pictures
JustOneMoreBook.com
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the compact camera. This sprightly tale of curiosity and determination puts the spotlight on the inventive young man who brought photography to the masses, one improvement at a time.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Other books mentioned:
One Beetle Too Many — The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
Neo Leo (the Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci)
The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
George Eastman had to leave school early and get a job to help support his family. He decided he needed a hobby and he chose photography. Cameras were enormously heavy and pictures took a long time to develop and George decided to improve this. He did and history was made.

With pictures as clever as those in a child’s story book and with text as readable as a child’s story book, this book should easily appeal to children of all ages.

‘At the stone bridge, George had a brain wave. “Bunch together,
Ellz Readz
Our thoughts...This was a very interesting book. It discusses the history of the photograph and the Kodak Company. We leaned how the original pictures were taken, developed, and how the camera progressed to the type we are familiar with today. It leads us through the life of George Eastman and how he turned a hobby into a very successful business. There are some important messages in the story such as perserveriance, family support, and reaching for your dreams.

The illustrations were nice. They
babyhippoface
George Eastman was an overworked banker who needed a hobby. He chose photography. But all the equipment and supplies he needed--plates, a tent, a tripod, a jug of water, chemicals, and more, besides the camera--made him feel like a pack mule. Eastman dedicated years of his life to creating dry plates for photographs, then lighter, more portable cameras. His inventions revolutionized photography, making Eastman one of the most successful inventors in American history. Kulling tells his story in a ...more
Rebecca McNutt
This book is a great one for kids wanting to learn about the man who made photography into what it is today, but what makes it just as worthwhile for older readers is its wonderful illustrations.
Chak
Reads young (maybe ages 5 - if you're reading to them - through 8?), but still interesting. Part of our "biographies" family reading.
Susan
A great book that every parent and child will enjoy reading together. I loved it -- but my 7-year-old nephew loved it even more! Now that's a good review!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I thought this was a great juvenile biography--especially if you like photography. In fact, this is one my brothers and mother should read for sure. :)
Valerie
I just want to go out and take photographs after reading this great biography of George Eastman.
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
CCPL Youth Services
CCPL Youth Services marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Annare
Annare marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Monica Kulling was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. She received a BA in creative writing from the University of Victoria. Monica Kulling has published twenty-six fiction and nonfiction books for children, including picture books, poetry, and biographies. She is best known for introducing biography to children just learning to read and has written about Harriet Tubman, Houdini, Eleanor Rooseve ...more
More about Monica Kulling...
Les Miserables (Stepping Stones) The Tweedles Go Electric Lumpito and the Painter from Spain Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen In the Bag!: Margaret Knight Wraps It Up