Nocover-blank-133x176
Mission to the Stars

A.E. van Vogt

Mission to the Stars

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The colonies of Fifty Suns, hidden for eons in an ocean of stars, are finally traced by the warship, Star Cluster, of Imperial Earth. Torn By rebellion, Fifty Suns must crush the titanic Earth forces or submit to the domination of the Great Galactic Union. It falls to one man, Peter Maltby, brilliant leader of the feared Mixed Men, to unite the warring factions of his gala...more
Paperback, 81451, 174 pages
Published October 1st 1977 by Pocket (first published January 1st 1952)

Denis
This was the first A.E. van Vogt novel I had ever "tried to" read. Being unfamiliar with any of his work except a for a hand full of unusual short stories, this book threw me for a loop. "This ain't no Heinlein," I thought, and tossed it aside after a couple of chapters, for it appeared to be a prime "text-book" example -the very justification, of what I was "told" was "bad pulp SF."

Some time later, after having read many other novels of this era (1939-55) I took another crack at that really coo...more
Paul
Set 15,000 years from now, an Earth ship has spent the last ten years in the Greater Magellanic Cloud looking for a space empire that calls itself the Fifty Suns. They are a group of mutated humans who left Earth many years previously to get away from prejudice and discrimination.

Earth promises a benevolent leadership; the Fifty Suns will generally be able to rule themselves. But Earth makes it very clear: Join Us or Be Destroyed. Long ago, Earth decided to not allow any other star empires to ex...more
Matteo Pellegrini
Un gigantesco incrociatore spaziale della Terra Imperiale, in esplorazione astrografica nella Grande Nube Magellanica, scopre prove evidenti di una civiltà sconosciuta che si estende su settanta pianeti, ritenuti disabitati. Ma questi pianeti non possono essere identificati perché sparsi in mezzo a un numero sterminato di altri pianeti, e i loro abitanti, discendenti di una razza mista di esseri umani e robots, cioè Umanoidi, si oppongono a prendere contatto con la civiltà della Terra. Si ha cos...more
shayla,
Picked this book up at a random book sale because of the cool cover and title. Isn't a bad book, once you get into it. I've never heard of read of anything by this author before, and I might again, but I'm definitely not jumping at the chance.

This book is about the discovery of a very well hidden race of intelligent life that almost comes to an end because of Imperial Earth. They are called the Mixed Men and are the offspring of Dellian Superhumans and human beings.

History:
These Superhumans ca...more
Roddy Williams
STAR VOYAGE

‘In the far distant future the spaceship Star Cluster is searching for certain inhabited planets lost somewhere in the teeming wilderness of outer space. The inhabitants of these planets know the ship is searching for them but they refuse to reveal their location.
Why don’t these people want to be found?
What is their secret?
Discover the astounding answers as you read this gripping classic tale of interstellar adventure by AE Van Vogt, one of the all time great names in adventurous scie...more
Jon
Finished it while my computer was getting fixed.
Van Vogt's books have decent plots but leave something to be desired in the dialogue department. In my experience this is typical for 40s & 50s pulp sci-fi.
On a side note: For some reason I love when sci-fi of this era has anachronistic things like slide rules & whatnot.
Raj
In the Greater Magallenic Cloud, the people of the Fifty Suns have hidden themselves since their flight from Earth 15,000 years ago. Now a mighty battleship, the Star Cluster has come to find them and make them, by whatever means necessary, rejoin the Terran Empire.

This book follows themes that readers of van Vogt will be familiar with: that of the hidden group of supermen within a civilisation. While being no 'Null-A', the story is nonetheless interesting and kicks along at a decent pace. One t...more
Matthew
AAAAAAA!!!! I was half way through and lost it on the subway! Good read, too!!! But what really pisses me off is this was an awesome 70's trade paperback- silver foil, and a whole gang of Mixed Men on the cover, with rainbows coming out of their eyes!!! Everyone was so jelly I was reading such a cool-looking book, that was most of the fun. ARRRRRGGGGGH.

UPDATE! Found the book at my new favorite NYC bookstore : Singularity & Co. Finished it up and wow. I'm loving AE Van Vogt, in spite of his b...more
DavidO
This book is pretty tyipical for A. E. van Vogt. Tehre is a race of supermen, who everyone hates or fears. There's lots of crazy scientific gadgets. It was reasonably well written, especially at the beginning but the ast half felt sloppy to me.
Vae
Classico della space opera vanvogtiana: grandi astronavi, super-uomini, viaggi intergalattici...tutto sommato ben scritto, con colpi di scena ogni 2-3 pagine, che tengono incollati al libro fino alla fine.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Not one of his best (those would be the Null-A books, Isher, Space Beagle and Slan), it's the same old Van Vogt theme of mental supermen in hiding.
Devero
Fantascienza decisamente troppo datata.
amanda
amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Novel Frostii
Novel Frostii marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Paul M.
Paul M. marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rudj added it
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Wave Without a Shore (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • Project Pope
  • Fire Time
  • Past Master
  • The Crucible of Time
  • The Ganymede Takeover
Alfred Elton van Vogt was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century—the "Golden Age" of the genre.

van Vogt was born to Russian Mennonite family. Until he was four years old, van Vogt and his family spoke only a dialect of Low German in the home.

He began his writing career with 'true story' ro...more
More about A.E. van Vogt...
The World of Null-A The Weapon Shops of Isher Slan (Slan, #1) The Voyage of the Space Beagle The Weapon Makers