Start by marking “A Dark Love” as Want to Read:
A Dark Love

A Dark Love

A Dark Love is the unforgettable debut of Margaret Carroll, an extraordinary new master who spins a tale of passion tinged with terror.Though Caroline has finally escapedher marriage to a cruel and controlling psychopath, she still lives in fear. Her husband will not rest until he finds her . . . and makes her pay. ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Avon (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Love

Holly
Sep 18, 2009 Holly rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Miss Kim
Sep 30, 2009 Miss Kim rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
The theme is one that I usually enjoy—the abused heroine escapes from her psycho husband and finds love with a great guy. This starts out good. Caroline is literally walking away from her life, carrying only four grand cash, and her tiny dog. It opens with her husband, Porter, watching her walk down the street and we know she has only his allotted 20 minutes (the time she must return from walking her dog) before he starts to suspect something. It takes a while for her to get to where she is ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
First I want to say I really did like this story a lot but I couldn't justify a 3 stars due to certain issues. The story was easy to read and not bogged down with a lot of details and that is one of the issues I had. Not enough details. There were also certain unresolved issues that should have been addressed but weren't. Some scenes lacked so much detail that I assume the author was relying on the reader's imagination and that can be good but didn't really work for the most part. The romance ...more
Daisy
Sep 13, 2012 Daisy rated it it was amazing
Very good book, keeps you in suspense the entire time. Definitely recommend it.
Emma Hillman
Oct 26, 2009 Emma Hillman rated it it was ok
Keith
Dec 19, 2012 Keith rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. A Dark Love is a fast moving thriller with great characters, great pacing, and one of the most demented villains you'll come across. I know everyone loves to cheer for the protagonist, but here, watching the bad--really bad--guy devolve into madness is riveting. Do you know where the book is going? Well yes, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride. Don't let the cover fool you. If you're looking for a romance, go elsewhere. A Dark Love does have romance, but that's not ...more
Chelsea
Jul 17, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I started reading and couldn't stop.
Cara Ellison
May 09, 2011 Cara Ellison rated it it was ok
Caroline Hughes is a young Georgetown wife, married to Dr. Porter Moross, a world-renowned psychoanalyst. One afternoon, Caroline takes her small white Yorkshire terrier, and leaves. She boards a Greyhound bus and leaves for parts unknown, ending up in a small Colorado town. In two short weeks, she begins to fit right in with the sweet small town, even falling a little bit in love with a former Kansas City Chiefs NFL player. Yet all is not well. Her psychotically controlling, abusive husband ...more
Trish Mayfield
Aug 10, 2011 Trish Mayfield rated it liked it
Caroline sets out an elaborate plan to escape her abusive husband, but she runs into a snag before she even gets out of town. She finally manages to leave town and journey across country with her little dog, looking over her shoulder the entire time. Once she reaches her destination, a small town nestled in the Colorado mountains, she sets about trying to find her niche and settle down.

But Caroline knows better than to stay in one place for too long; she knows that her husband will never stop l
Ginnie Grant
Jan 13, 2016 Ginnie Grant rated it liked it
I wouldn't call this a spectacular read but it was certainly a solid one. Parts were confusing, like the FBI guys and the Ex boyfriend's emails. they could have been left out. I wish porter's past and darkness would have been put into further depth. But I liked the characters (well except for Porter naturally) and the suspense was pretty well timed, the love story of Ken and Caroline a sweet one. Storm Pass is the type of place I would really love to visit and I enjoyed the descriptions of it. I ...more
Anne OK
Oct 14, 2009 Anne OK rated it it was ok
Good suspense - a bit different from the usual "young wife leaves abusive older husband and runs away to begin a new life only to be found by said abusive husband" scenario. Storyline kept me interested and I loved the setting in the mountains of Colorado. Thought the characters were interesting but needed more development. The romance was lacking on all fronts. "Tepid" to say the least! I enjoy a bit more chemistry between characters than presented in this book. And the ending was less than ...more
Shawntay F
Jun 28, 2015 Shawntay F rated it it was ok
This book was freaky crazy. The story line was all over the map. I felt like it was rushed and it left a lot of plot information just out there in the air. So many thing just seemed unfinished. I'm pretty disappointed. The summary and book cover was so misleading. I was expecting a real suspense novel. I did give it 2 stars as I think it had great potential. But overall, big frowny face to this book.
Josephine
Feb 16, 2016 Josephine added it
Shelves: dnf
Quite liked the premise but I would have preferred not having the husband's POV (or the random POV of secondary characters) as I felt this slowed down the pacing quite a bit. And given the slow pacing, I knew it was going to be impossible for me to buy into HEA that occurred for the heroine. I also found the painstaking detail of every action every character took also kept me from engaging with this book.
Oct 10, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
While the writing wasn't perfect, I found myself quickly captivated by this novel. Similar to Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, this novel follows a path that is not hard to predict but still held my attention. I found it to be a nice mix of suspense with romance and would recommend.
LorettaLynn
May 03, 2011 LorettaLynn rated it really liked it
I wanted to give 3 1/2 lol but there anit one!

This was a dark and lovely book..Kept you on your toes
not knowning what would happen next..The book sums up to be
Well blanced and waiting for more..But the thing i did'nt like was the ending..
It left me hanging and guess what the end was
I did how every enjoy it very much

Happy Reading everyone
Yvonne
May 29, 2015 Yvonne rated it liked it
I really liked the heroine, the plot, even the villain. The only thing I didn't like was how quickly the main characters fell in love. It feels a little rushed, maybe I needed to see a little more depth between them? It was nice to see the tenderness between them and how they drew strength from each other.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Stumbled over this while browsing and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did! It was complex and intense at times. Definitely different than my usual reads. Hated the ending though, in a way I wanted more.
Mary Beth
Feb 28, 2013 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Ms. Carroll - a fellow metro Detroiter - has thrillers: A Dark Love and Riptide and two earlier written lighter love stories: The Write Match and The True Match. Depending on your mood, all four are excellent choices.
Paula
Jul 17, 2011 Paula rated it it was ok
Not one of those books that I would recommend to most people. It goes both a little too far and not far enough into the twisted psyche of the abusive husband. The characters didn't get a ton of development. Just an "meh" sort of read.
Jessica
This book was AWFUL! The cover and the title are totally misleading! This was not a love story. It was a story about this woman who left her freakish abusing husband! There were way to many point of views going on and the story kinda abruptly ended! I do not recommend this story!
Rebecca
Storyline great

Story was captivating but the writing style became tiring. Author seemed to use a phrase, think it was worth repeating a few times to the point of annoyance. Probably won't seek out other books by this author.
Destiny
Nov 21, 2009 Destiny rated it really liked it
Caroline is running from a psychopath. He’s her husband...

Read the full review at Romance Junkies here:

Cheryl Karkoff
Oct 17, 2009 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
Pretty good book. Somewhat perdictable. Woman takes off from her controlling husband, hides out, he finds her.
Krista D
Sep 02, 2012 Krista D rated it it was ok
This book started out with some good momentum, but didn't keep it up. Also, a couple of minor things were not resolved at the end.

Vykki
Nov 23, 2013 Vykki rated it really liked it
Shelves: twisted
This was a really dark twisted thriller. It kept me turning page while seating on the edge of my seat. This book was down right scare.
Tamara Mudd
Tamara Mudd rated it it was ok
May 11, 2010
Miranda
Miranda rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Reader
Reader rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2011
Katie B
Katie B rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Bridge (Brody Law, #1)
  • Dark Hunger (Demonborn #2)
  • Dark, Deadly Love
  • A Rocky Mountain Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • The Sister Pact
  • Mississippi Noir
  • Christmas with a Vampire
  • Under a Turquoise Sky
  • Devil's Harbor: A Novel
  • All About Evie (Chameleon Chronicles, #1)
  • Borders of the Heart
  • Starman
  • Sins of Our Fathers
  • Every Move She Makes (Who's Watching Now, #1)
  • The Widow of Saunders Creek
  • The Canary List
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Drawing Fire (Cold Case Justice #1)
Margaret Carroll writes fiction part-time in addition to being a full-time mother and homemaker. Her fiction builds on 20 years' global public relations and journalism experience. She has served on award-winning marketing teams, as President of an industry organization dedicated to raising standards for public relations professionals, and has traveled the globe.

She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree
More about Margaret Carroll...