Start by marking “Upgraded to Serious” as Want to Read:
Upgraded to Serious

Upgraded to Serious

Heather McHugh presents a fast-paced, verbally dexterous, and brilliantly humorous book. Utilizing medical terminology and iconography to work through loss and detachment, McHugh’s startling rhymes and rhythms—along with her sarcastic self-reflection and infectious laughter—serve as antidotes to the sufferings of the world. Being “upgraded to serious” from critical conditi ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Copper Canyon Press (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Upgraded to Serious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upgraded to Serious

Zara Raab
Mar 18, 2010 Zara Raab rated it really liked it
High Marks

McHugh’s first book, Dangers, published a decade after she entered Harvard at 17 to study with Robert Lowell, uses the virtuoso word play, double meanings, punning, the skillful use of syncopated rhythms and rhyming, the aphorisms, the satire, wit and brevity that epitomize her verse throughout her career, no matter the subject, though her subjects are usually prescient, pertinent to our lives, or both, and rarely conceited. In Dangers, she tackled the social-sexual-political issues o
James Murphy
Dec 16, 2009 James Murphy rated it it was ok
It took me a long time to begin to connect with these poems. I was over halfway through the book before they began to make sense. But eventually they took some shape. They never fail to be interesting, unusual reading, however. One or two are lovely. My favorite is a poem about family dogs. It's funny, and I liked very much that its rhymes were mid-line rather than at the end. Gets your attention, that does.
Patricia
Dec 09, 2009 Patricia rated it really liked it
Poetry this clever can be a pain. But then McHugh has a heart too. The poems questioning God are my favorites. They remind me of a modern version of Cowper or is it Herbert? I would say if McHugh wanted to she could start a neo-metaphysical school of writing.
Deborah Bancroft
Jun 21, 2017 Deborah Bancroft rated it liked it
Wordplay + deep thought.
Kitty
Feb 09, 2011 Kitty rated it really liked it
Heather McHugh knows how to twist the twine until each word is wrung turning agape (as in tongue hanging out) with an underpining of Greek "agape" -- for the love of God, used, intermittently in different ways, as outcry whether in the Thou ( dime a dozen)( Thous and... ) by the thousand, or doubted as sceptic in skip to my lou, and No attached to a placebo.

She took on "sight" with Eyeshot... and has not stopped eyeing what is serious about our critical condition. As in perhaps critical thinking
Tyler Jones
Jul 17, 2016 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'm still learning how to read poetry - and I'm going about it simply by reading the stuff itself rather than reading about the stuff - so my opinion is not very well informed; but I'm not going to let that stop me from telling you what I think.

I like McHugh's style. Smart and often self-depricating. I like the humour and the word play. I like how she gets right into the DNA of words (I was often put in mind of Richard Wilbur) and often found myself reading a poem several times and noticing dif
Matthew
Apr 06, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I'll hear a foodie talk about their love of flavors on the palate -- that's how I felt reading this book. McHugh plays around with language. Her selection of words has incredible texture, the cleverness makes every line like a playful game, and the dizziness you're left with from the linguistic acrobats is only validated by their subject matter (in this book it happens to be the topic of loss, in various forms).

I can't wait to read her other books. These poems certainly won't be to eve
Nancy
Mar 06, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Tight and intensely clever. Sometimes too much of each. But dazzling: so many times in one poem, meanings will spin out wildly, then the whole thing will pull itself back in and land on a dime.

In the middle of a storm ("Recurrent Dream") there'll be the perfectly sane and brilliant aside: "...she learned / new nouns. Much didn't match: / the stern, for example, so inviting, / and the bow so angry."

Enjoyed:
Harrowing portrait of regret: "Not to be Dwelled On"
Teasing modernity: "Webcam the World"
Curtis Bauer
Jan 15, 2010 Curtis Bauer rated it liked it
I'll have to reread this book, just as I had to reread each poem a few times before going on to the next. I always feel like I'm missing something with McHugh's later work; the poems are tight with knowledge: even the sounds are important, the pauses, the space. Toward the end of the book there's a little gem that speaks to this:

Microscope

Through petri dishes'rings
life is transmogrified. When we
look into things, we see

there's space inside.

Space, but also looking is important to McHugh; her ga
Caitlin
Feb 18, 2015 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: school-reading
The more poetry I read, the more confused I am.
McHugh's macabre or irreverent subject matter combined with her humor and extensive use of technical jargon is fascinating and bewildering.

Some of her poems I look at and blink and just flat out don't get.
Some of them I can nod and say "ok, I follow this. cool."

She's skilled, but crazy.
Most artists are, I guess.
R.G. Evans
Jun 27, 2016 R.G. Evans rated it it was ok
Some interesting (brilliant?), sustained wordplay throughout, but in most poems I was too preoccupied by the cleverness to take anything else away from them. None offered any frisson of emotional recognition or tempted me to read any poem a second time.
Angela
Dec 14, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 800s-poetry
Heather McHugh's command of the English language is staggering, but her poems sometimes become tangled in meaning for the pure joy of sounds and word construction. Read them for the play they create as much as for the concept they envision, and you will be enriched.
Kate Cronin
Dec 23, 2015 Kate Cronin rated it really liked it
In this volume of poetry, the author writes a lot about her take on the current political climate, family, and growing older. Her poems are challenging to read and I often had to reread them several times. Her humor is biting and her love of words shines through every poem.
Kristen Hoggatt
Jan 13, 2010 Kristen Hoggatt rated it it was amazing
Her lyricism is sometimes overwhelming but this book is a gem!
Kate
Aug 03, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
I bought this without realizing it was by the author of The Father of the Predicaments, which is a good thing, because I remember not liking that book much... but I like this one, quite a bit!
Diane
Sep 14, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
What a unique voice. Love the title and her sense of punnage.
Leonard
Feb 27, 2010 Leonard rated it really liked it
Heather McHugh uses language like no other poet. Her writing is so original that when I read these it was like reading another language, but a language that was still English.
Siel Ju
Jan 25, 2012 Siel Ju rated it liked it
Wry banter on death and loss with very smart wordplay.
Kevin Fanning
Felt like the focus was on clever word play. Kept getting distracted from whatever the poems were actually about.
Franny
Feb 15, 2016 Franny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
really smart, beautiful poetry it just didn't make me feel anything? idk, it's poetry, I want to feel something
Devin Becker
Nov 13, 2009 Devin Becker rated it really liked it
I'm liking it.
Zabeth
Dec 18, 2010 Zabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I'm drawn to the wittiness of the puns in the poems, but hooked by the intricate act of punning with sound.
M
M rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Lindy
Lindy rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Carrielou72
Carrielou72 rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Poppy
Poppy rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2010
Haleigh Kopinski
Haleigh Kopinski rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Shawn Adams
Shawn Adams rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2010