Start by marking “The True Gift” as Want to Read:
The True Gift

The True Gift

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  80 reviews
All year long Lily and Liam look forward to Christmas on their grandparents' farm. It's always the perfect trip -- walking to the lilac library, trimming the tree, giving gifts. But this year, thanks to a white cow alone in the meadow, things will be different. This Christmas, Lily and Liam will find out the meaning of a true gift.

From one of our most beloved authors com
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published September 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The True Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Gift

Dec 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail A.
A brother and sister go to stay with their grandparents for Christmas, just like always. But, this year, their grandparents' cow, White Cow, is all alone in the field because the donkey who used to graze with her has gone back to her family. Young Liam feels a connection with White Cow and senses that she is lonely and he wants to do something to help her. Even if it means spending less time at the beautiful "Lilac Library" (where the children usually love to go during the Christmas holiday), ev ...more
Well, I kept meaning to read this book since it came out as it is in my library, after all. So at long last, I just sat down during a quiet evening shift and read it cover to cover, enjoying Floca's illustrations nearly as much as MacLachlan's writing.
Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised by the ending but my mushy old heart was truly touched. I had to leave the desk and hide for a while as I have been cursed with one of those complexions that turns deep red and stays red for a long time after
MacLachlan here writes a Christmas story about a brother and sister who find the meaning of Christmas through helping a cow - yup, a cow - lead a less lonely life. MacLachlan is always a dependable writer, and this book is a good selection for kids in grades 3-5 looking for a Christmas story, but there isn't a whole lot of "there" there in this slim little Christmas book.
Linda Lipko
As the sun streamed through the window this morning, I took this book off the shelf and spent delightful time reading another of MacLachlan's lovely books.

This author has a special way of softly unfolding the story. I've read most of the books of this Newbery award winning author and she never fails to disappoint.

Lily and Liam look forward each year to the Pre-Christmas visit to their grandparent's farm. Avid readers, the two love the slow pace of farm life in the winter, of time to read, time t
I did not care for this brief book, which I read aloud to my daughter. The characters, and the brother/sister relationship at the center of the book, did not ring true, and the climactic Christmas Eve surprise seemed very improbable. (I have no particular fondness for cows, which probably removes me from the intended audience for this book.)
C.C. Thomas
Patricia MacLachlan is far and above one of my favorite writers. Her writing style is the true gift of this story. Every book of hers that I've read has broken my heart a little, in the sweetest way, and this was no exception. Her works are so lyrical, more like poetry than prose and getting swept away by her words is so easy, like swinging in a hammock with the gentlest of breezes.

In the story, brother and sister Liam and Lily are going to their grandparent's farm to spend the holiday season. I
Patricia MacLachlan's soft, endlessly gentle writing style has always seemed to be the perfect potential vehicle by which to tell a Christmas tale. After decades of producing some of the most enduring classics of our time in the realms of both picture books and chapter books, Patricia MacLachlan has given us just such a holiday story.

Liam is a wonder. He views the word around him with the eyes of a true artist, gauging the depths of the feelings of those he comes in contact with and allowing h
When Lily and Liam go to stay with their grandparents during the week leading up to Christmas, Liam becomes troubled by the presence of White Cow. She is alone in the paddock. Does she get lonely? Is she sad? He feels that she must be, and therefore, he wants to find her a friend. They don't have a lot of money, but when a family advertises that they want to sell their calf, Liam knows that is the friend for White Cow. So, he sells all his books to the used book store to gain the extra money the ...more
David prieto
"TheTrue Gift", by patrica Maclachlan is an inspirational book of giving and christmas spirit.It tells the story of a brother and sister named Laim and Lily are trying to by a calf to accompany the lonely white cow.But in the process of buying a calf liam and lily's gran meet a not so nice man who was about to hit the calf.But the people who are selling the calf change there mind and sell it to Liam. But in the end of the story Lily and Liam get a Huge present. what is it?
I can't remember the last time a children's book made me cry. I know it has happened, but not for a while. Until I read this book. Had I not been at work when I was reading it, I would have had tears streaming down my face. In a good way, of course.

Lily and Liam are staying with their grandparents for Christmas, as they do every year. This year, when they arrive they discover that the donkey that used to live in the barn with White Cow has moved to another farm, leaving White Cow all alone. Liam
The only time I can stomach heartwarming Christmas stories is at Christmastime, despite being the Scrooge that I am these days. This book was lovely! Animal stories are always a favorite, and this one was right up my reading alley. I would have done exactly what Liam did. I don't like to think of any animal being lonely! I might have even shed a tear at the end...
Blake Petit
Everybody who crafts a Christmas story wants it to be the next classic. I'm not sure if this book quite reaches that status, but it is good. "The True Gift" is the story of a brother and sister who are sent for a Christmas vacation on their grandparents' farm. The younger of the two, Liam, is heartbroken when he realizes the farm's single cow, White Cow, is lonely. So he sets out to change that. The story is very quick, it can probably be read to a child in a single bedtime reading session. The ...more
A lovely short chapter book for young readers. Patricia MacLachlan's prose is so quietly beautiful. A warm and fulfilling holiday book! This book would be emotionally satisfying for very young independent readers to adults.
I adore this author. I feel like there are holes in the plot and more time is spent developing the animal characters than is spent developing the human characters. For these reasons it falls flat for me.
Suzie Schmidt
I read this to my second grade class. They loved it. Same author as Sarah, Plain and Tall. Short easy chapter book. We read it in two days. The kids connected with the kids and the cow. Lots of laughter and cheering. Nicely done!
Jan 11, 2010 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 1-3
I admire MacLachlan's ability to really use language carefully to craft a story. This is a sweet and simple tale of a boy who wants to help a lonely cow. While visiting his grandparents farm for their annual pre-Chirstmas visit, Lily and Liam notice that the white cow is without his companion the donkey. Liam sets out to find a friend for him, by placing notices all around town which results in a wonderful conclusion.
The one disconnect I had was that the story is so sweet and old-fashioned I th
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Ok, so it's sentimental and a little contrived, but I admit I got that warm fuzzy feeling from this simple story. Two remarkably literate kids spend the weeks leading up to Christmas with their grandparents - Liam, the younger brother, decides that the White Cow on their grandparents' farm is lonely and sets out to find her a friend. Of course, everything works out wonderfully and there's even a little surprise at the end. The kids have their moments of normality and authenticity that save them ...more
Erin Fowler
Wow, what an adorable Christmas story! No one should be alone for Christmas even if that someone is a white cow.
What a sweet and perfect little story about friendship and community.
Ashley Blais
This is a great book for a short, fun, quick read!
Kelly Reader
Read to Lincoln right before Christmas when he was 7.
I expected more from Patricia MacLachlan. Like many of her stories, this one is set on a farm. Liam and his sister are spending time at their grandparents for Christmas and when Liam decides that the lone white cow is lonely, he sets out to fit it a friend. The story is extremely short, and the writing seems short and choppy. Finding a friend for a cow just was a tad bit too boring for me. But students wanting a quick, tender story to read might enjoy it.
I've enjoyed this author in a couple other children's novels. This one struck me as contrived. What boy carries dozens of books to grandma's farm at Christmas, then sells them to make sure a cow has company for the holiday? Maybe if there had been some fantastic bits here and there: talking cow, fairy milkmaid, angels in the barn? Maybe then I'd have read it to my boys. Didn't ring true nor having much to do with Christmas.
I think this is one of those books that will become more loved the more times it's read. I liked it this first time around, but I'm excited to read it to my children in a couple of years because I think I will grow to love it. It just had a timeless, classic feel to it.

And really, isn't there something so endearing about a lonely cow on a farm at Christmastime? You have to admit there is.
I thought I wouldn't like this, the cow on the cover didn't interest me much, but I did. It is a short, plain story just like Sarah, Plain and Tall, but it is amazing because MacLachlan uses each and every word on the page purposefully to create a lilting rythm that is a pleasure to read and to listen too. It is like a lullabye or poetry. And of course, my kids loved the sweet story!
I just read this with my daughter for our mom and daughter book club and it is a quick read but well worth the time. It is a simple book and easy to understand but teaches a big story of what truly is important...true gifts...things that mean a lot to someone and that will touch someones lives for the better. I loved that this lesson was taught by children.
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • The Christmas Day Kitten
  • Crow Call
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see
More about Patricia MacLachlan...
Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2) Waiting for the Magic Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3) All the Places to Love