Start by marking “How to Be Bad” as Want to Read:
How to Be Bad

How to Be Bad

Mark is a mild-mannered twenty-three-year-old bookseller who makes endless lists about stupid things. His life changes when he reestablishes contact with his old girlfriend, Caro. At seventeen, Caro was an implausibly sexy, promiscuous, druggy big-mouth. Six years later, she's exactly the same and Mark falls in love with her all over again. Caro, who has nothing but contem ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Bad

Apr 21, 2007 Paul rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bored on a rainy Tuesday
Bowker takes all the elements of High Fidelity, misplaced modern male obsessed with collecting and out of touch with traditional masculitiny, and adds a touch of crime. The book is amusing and would probably be a good cure for nothing on television for an evening. It's a quick read.
andeeeeee rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2007
Jan 05, 2008 RandomAnthony rated it liked it
I read most of this book in an Erie, PA train depot in the middle of the night, waiting for a late train. This book helped me pass the time very well...kind of like Tarantino met someone who really loved used books and they wrote a screenplay. Quick, light, but cool.
Tony Chaney
Tony Chaney rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2008
Russel rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2008
Apr 25, 2010 David rated it really liked it
This book definitely has an engaging storyline. Some of it starts to strain credulity a little bit, but Bowker handles that pretty well so it isn't much of a problem. Interesting characters as well. I don't think this book is going to exactly change the world or anything, but it's worth a read.
Morgue Anne
Morgue Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Sean rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Kylee rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Apr 26, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2005-reads, tops
RATING: 4.75

You know how when it's your birthday, sometimes a loved one will prepare your favorite meal? And even before you sit down at the table, your saliva glands are running amok and then when you start to eat, it's all you can do not to "ooh" and "ah" between every bite? That's what David Bowker's books are like to me, and HOW TO BE BAD is an entrée that surpasses its predecessors. It's a mélange of originality, humor, darkness and pathos that left me well sated and sad to push back my cha
Aug 28, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
Strong start, good tension, some very funny scenes. It was not built for distance.
Bret rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Bruce Mann
Bruce Mann rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Aug 15, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nick Hornby fans
I think I can be bad now. First you fall for a girl that's turned on by bad things. Second you have to accidentally kill some people and say you did it on purpose. Three kill some people for real. Now you know how to be bad too.

David Bowker weaves a tail of accidental crime to full blown crime in his novel. He takes a page from what seems to be his favorite author Nick Hornby and writes a timid self aware man who just trying to get the girl of his dream. Unfortunately for Mark, his love is a bit
William rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Mark McD
Mark McD rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Doodinskiy rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Luboš rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Tomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Lukasz Pruski
Jan 25, 2013 Lukasz Pruski rated it liked it
“How To Be Bad” by David Bowker is an extremely funny book. The writing is so wonderfully hilarious that I was laughing out loud (LOL’ing) every other page. Some samples: “I slammed my fist into his midriff. It was like hitting a Henry Moore sculpture, but not as enjoyable”, “The gun was sexy. My God, I thought fine first editions were attractive enough, but knowing I was holding something that the L.A. cops used to shoot holes in innocent bystanders thrilled me beyond reason.” I will refrain fr ...more
Vika Ryabova
Feb 21, 2013 Vika Ryabova rated it it was amazing
Книга небольшая - я проглотила ее за день, кажется. В нескольких местах смеялась до слез, в остальных - просто смеялась :) Временами сюр зашкаливает просто. Придется теперь еще почитать этого автора.
Culturecide rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Ian Dingman
Ian Dingman rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Jason Garfield
Jason Garfield rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Gareth Williams
Gareth Williams rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Natalya Chekanova
Natalya Chekanova rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Bleslie rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Manchester but now living in Cambridge, David Bowker is author of six novels, including The Secret Sexist, From Stockport with Love and, most recently, Rawhead and Rawhead in Love. He was voted 'Manchester Writer of the Year' by City Life magazine.
More about David Bowker...