Start by marking “How to Be Bad” as Want to Read:
How to Be Bad

How to Be Bad

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Mark is a mild-mannered twenty-three-year-old bookseller who makes endless lists about stupid things. His life changes when he reestablishes contact with his old girlfriend, Caro. At seventeen, Caro was an implausibly sexy, promiscuous, druggy big-mouth. Six years later, she's exactly the same and Mark falls in love with her all over again. Caro, who has nothing but contem ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Bad

Lukasz Pruski
“How To Be Bad” by David Bowker is an extremely funny book. The writing is so wonderfully hilarious that I was laughing out loud (LOL’ing) every other page. Some samples: “I slammed my fist into his midriff. It was like hitting a Henry Moore sculpture, but not as enjoyable”, “The gun was sexy. My God, I thought fine first editions were attractive enough, but knowing I was holding something that the L.A. cops used to shoot holes in innocent bystanders thrilled me beyond reason.” I will refrain fr ...more
Michael
Aug 15, 2011 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nick Hornby fans
I think I can be bad now. First you fall for a girl that's turned on by bad things. Second you have to accidentally kill some people and say you did it on purpose. Three kill some people for real. Now you know how to be bad too.

David Bowker weaves a tail of accidental crime to full blown crime in his novel. He takes a page from what seems to be his favorite author Nick Hornby and writes a timid self aware man who just trying to get the girl of his dream. Unfortunately for Mark, his love is a bit
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

You know how when it's your birthday, sometimes a loved one will prepare your favorite meal? And even before you sit down at the table, your saliva glands are running amok and then when you start to eat, it's all you can do not to "ooh" and "ah" between every bite? That's what David Bowker's books are like to me, and HOW TO BE BAD is an entrée that surpasses its predecessors. It's a mélange of originality, humor, darkness and pathos that left me well sated and sad to push back my cha
David
This book definitely has an engaging storyline. Some of it starts to strain credulity a little bit, but Bowker handles that pretty well so it isn't much of a problem. Interesting characters as well. I don't think this book is going to exactly change the world or anything, but it's worth a read.
Paul
Apr 21, 2007 Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bored on a rainy Tuesday
Bowker takes all the elements of High Fidelity, misplaced modern male obsessed with collecting and out of touch with traditional masculitiny, and adds a touch of crime. The book is amusing and would probably be a good cure for nothing on television for an evening. It's a quick read.
RandomAnthony
I read most of this book in an Erie, PA train depot in the middle of the night, waiting for a late train. This book helped me pass the time very well...kind of like Tarantino met someone who really loved used books and they wrote a screenplay. Quick, light, but cool.
Vika Ryabova
Книга небольшая - я проглотила ее за день, кажется. В нескольких местах смеялась до слез, в остальных - просто смеялась :) Временами сюр зашкаливает просто. Придется теперь еще почитать этого автора.
Jim
Strong start, good tension, some very funny scenes. It was not built for distance.
Anna Ber
на мой взгляд лучшая книга Боукера
☯Bettie☯
Kuhreestin Warner
Kuhreestin Warner is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Dinesh
Dinesh marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Alanna
Alanna added it
Jul 21, 2014
Bernard Blayer
Bernard Blayer marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Klaine Göre
Klaine Göre marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Julian Paolo Fabros
Julian Paolo Fabros marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Manchester but now living in Cambridge, David Bowker is author of six novels, including The Secret Sexist, From Stockport with Love and, most recently, Rawhead and Rawhead in Love. He was voted 'Manchester Writer of the Year' by City Life magazine.
More about David Bowker...
I Love My Smith and Wesson: A Novel The Death You Deserve: A Novel The Death Prayer The Secret Sexist The Butcher Of Glastonbury