Start by marking “The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez” as Want to Read:
The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez

The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez

The Tooth Fairy has some competition.

Meet El Ratón Pérez, the charming and adventurous mouse who collects children’s teeth in Spain and Latin America.

When both the Tooth Fairy and El Ratón Pérez arrive to claim Miguelito’s tooth, sparks fly under the Mexican-American boy’s pillow. Who will rightfully claim his tooth?

This magical tale introduces a legendary Latino charact
Published March 23rd 2010 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tooth Fairy Meets El Ratón Pérez

Dodie
Nov 07, 2009 Dodie rated it really liked it
If you are a Mexican-American kid with a tooth under your pillow, who comes to get it - El Raton, the mouse who collects dientes in Spain and Latin America, or the Tooth Fairy, from the old English tradition? After an initial tussle, El Raton and the Tooth Fairy discover they need to cooperate to get Miquelito's tooth. An author's note, backgrounder and list of Spanish terms used in the book are included. Lintern's pencil and Photoshop illustrations are brimming with fun details.
Christina
May 10, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Perfect introduction to one aspect of America's melting pot culture. I loved reading it to my kids and explaining about how different people around the world have different customs and traditions. I also liked how the two characters, although opposed to each others motives initially, learned to work together and accomplish both goals.
Mary Ann
This has been my kindergartner and 3rd grader's favorite picture book of the year. They love the way Rene Colato Lainez mixes the two cultural traditions. They love the humor. They love the artwork and will go into detail about why they think the art is so good (shadows, night time drawings, humor). Two big thumbs up from my children!
Terra
I love discovering books that tie our son's two cultural backgrounds together and make his experience relevant. Fun pictures and a cute story that combines the tooth fairy of my childhood with El Raton Perez of his father's.
Danie P.
Apr 24, 2010 Danie P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love the mix of spanish and english words in a fairy tale about the different traditions of the tooth fairy in the United States/Spanish/European countries.
Camille
Apr 26, 2010 Camille rated it it was amazing
Just nominated this title to the Texas Library Association 2x2 list. Great story. I had no idea this other tradition existed. Charming.
Apr 06, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Always good to get a decent tooth fairy book. And a wonderful book for cross-cultural units.
Allison Parker
Denisse
Apr 21, 2014 Denisse rated it liked it
I think there was so much potential with this concept and I personally felt a little let down by this book. Having grown up in a Hispanic household, I was under the impression "el raton" came and took your teeth and in exchange left you a gift for your loss; as a matter of fact, my nephews are under the same impression now as well. However, I was always confused by the idea of a tooth fairy doing the same thing for American children. I always felt kind of sad (and grossed out) that a mouse would ...more
Jenny
Apr 02, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was darling...although maybe I should have waited a couple of years to read it to my kids. Here in the US the tooth fairy collects our teeth. But in Mexico and many other countries, it is El Raton Perez. But what to do if a boy from Mexico now lives in the US? Who does his tooth belong to then? Maybe the two will fight over it or maybe, just maybe, they can reach an agreement...
A sprinkling of Spanish throughout made it fun for my kiddos.

But they were a little confused why th
Samantha
Jan 09, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
When Miguelito loses a tooth and leaves it under his pillow, he has no idea it will cause an international incident, but it does. As he sleeps the Tooth Fairy comes to claim his tooth but so does El Raton. You see, while Miguelito may well be American, his parents and grandparents lived in Mexico when they were young enough to lose their teeth, so El Raton has every intention of collecting his too, even if he does have to enter the Tooth Fairy's territory. The two tooth collectors argue and ...more
Cheryl
Beautiful illustrations and a lovely tale of when two cultures collide, in this case the American/English Tooth Fairy arrives for the same tooth as El Ratón Pérez, the Spanish/Mexican Tooth Mouse. Cooperation is the key in this delightful book that seamlessly mixes in Spanish words in the predominately English text. I like the author's notes and glossary in back.

Found this out on the web:
Story behind the Story for this book. Made me laugh, I could so easily see that happening to me!! Definite
Sep 05, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
What a fun book to compare and contrast traditions in Mexico and the United States. When Miguelito loses his tooth, he puts it under his pillow. The Tooth Fairy (United States) and El Raton Perez (Mexico) both follow the signal to collect Miguelito's tooth. After arguing about who should get the tooth, the two of them work together and leave Miguelito a note and two shiny coins.

A nice addition to school libraries, especially for schools with students of Mexican heritage. Even if your school doe
Lisa
Feb 23, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is another bilingual book that is just plain fun to read aloud! I enjoy these types of books, but it really reminds me of the importance of reading before you present to the group. I have to read and prepare myself to do this type of book justice. There is a pronunciation guide provided as well as end-notes about the different culture aspects of these tooth-related folk characters. I am so pleased to have this book in our library collection!
Sherry
Apr 02, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder what happened to that tooth you hid under your pillow? Did the tooth fairy take it or did El Raton Perez lasso it? A unique twist to the story of the tooth fairy using a multicultural perspective. Lainez uses the concept of teamwork and sharing in this story of new found friendship.

The artwork is equally impressive. The softness of the toothfairy mixed in with the vibrant colors of El Raton Perez makes this a story that is fun and will keep the kids entertained.
Lindsey
The tooth fairy and El Raton get into a little a tussle over a tooth. A look at both American and Latin traditions.

This was a little too silly for me. I'd rather just read a book about El Raton rather than a book with both of them.
Leyla
Oct 30, 2013 Leyla rated it it was amazing
I loved it because it finally sets the record straight on these teeth issue. It also shows lessons on sharing and cleanliness. Now I have yet another reason why Jennifer has to brush her teeth with passion. And I have to prepare two coins for her first tooth. ;)
Sasha
Jun 01, 2016 Sasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, picture-books
Super cute story about the Tooth Fairy vs. El Raton Perez, both of whom are after the fallen tooth of a Mexican-American boy. Will there be a winner in this epic smackdown? Read this most excellent picture book with your wiggly-toothed buddies to find out!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This was more fun that I expected. Two legends meet and need to figure out who is going to get Miguel's tooth. The book uses some Spanish when El Raton is speaking. The back of the book explains the history of the Tooth Fairy and El Raton.

Alena
Jan 03, 2016 Alena rated it really liked it
Good read aloud. Tooth Fairy, Raton Perez, Ratoncito Perez, cultures, traditions, foklore, Spanish, Spanglish, bilingual, bicultural families. K-3rd.
Jen
May 16, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture-books
Thanks to Christina for recommending I read this aloud to first graders! Not only is the book an interesting story, but the reader gets to go back and forth between English and Spanish words. Fun!
Vicki
Nov 23, 2011 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A cobbling together of two tooth fairy tales -- one American the other Spanish in origin. Could've been better - the fairy and the rat really didn't have to fight over Miguelito's tooth.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Ryan Swiderski
Ryan Swiderski rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Katie Logonauts
Katie Logonauts rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
René Colato Laínez is the Salvadoran award winning author of I Am René, the Boy/ Soy René, el niño, Waiting for Papá/ Esperando a Papá, and Playing Lotería/ El juego de la lotería. His picture books have been honored by the Latino Book Award, the Paterson Prize for Books for Young People, the California Collection for Elementary Readers, the Tejas Star Book Award Selection and the New Mexico Book ...more
More about Rene Colato Lainez...