Start by marking “The Factory Voice” as Want to Read:
The Factory Voice
Preview

The Factory Voice

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The lives and dreams of four vital, engaging, women revolve around mysterious events at a Fort William military aircraft factory in 1941.
Loyalty and betrayal, love and worthiness, friendship and ambition are the themes which connect the characters in this lively, quirky, fast-paced novel.
Wrapped around the stories of these four women, is a mystery. Something's gone wrong
Published May 1st 2009 by Coteau Books

To ask other readers questions about The Factory Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Factory Voice

Dianne
Oct 21, 2011 Dianne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is the story of four women, Audrey, Muriel, Ruby and Florence, all of whom work at Fort William Aviation, a military aircraft factory in Ontario. The year is 1941 and women are filling the jobs left vacant by the men who have gone off to war.

These women couldn't be more different in situation and personality. The authour has created fresh, believable characters as unique as any you would find in real life. These are the kind of people who work their way into your head and stay there long af
Heidi Strybos
Read this for book club but enjoyed it more than others. I was a little disappointed with character development in the middle but it came around at the end.
Steven Buechler
While Lynes has documented the war cause on the home front, she has gone beyond just telling the story of four women in a factory. Each of the protagonists has some deep secret or obstacle they need to overcome. And the drama they create or endure makes for a great read.

Cristina Hutchinson
I couldn't understand the point of this book. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did.

There were also too many points of views. It got confusing, and I kept finding myself flipping back in the book to remember where else that point had been referenced, or who else knew about it.

And as another reviewer mentioned, having one main character experience two improbable coincidences with other characters was just too much. That's not following the rules of books.
Pooker
I've given this book four stars mostly because of the pure delight it was for me to read a book set in Fort William (now part of Thunder Bay). I don't think I've before had the pleasure of reading a book set in the city in which I spent my teenaged years in the late 60s. I loved the place and the time I spent there. So it was indeed delightful to read of the characters going to Chippewa Park, Hillcrest Park and Chapples Department Store and travelling down streets familiar to me.

There is nothing
Rhiannon Ryder
I like a good Canadian read when I can get it, and so my mother in law took on the impressive task of gifting me with two Canadian reads this Christmas. Impressive because my house literally groans under the weight of a vast and varied collection of books scaring most people off giving me books (other than the hubby who can peruse said collection at will), and also because a good Canadian read usually means you have to dig a little deeper than the best seller shelf at the local bookstore.

Fun fa
Mrsgaskell
Nov 06, 2011 Mrsgaskell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mrsgaskell by: Pooker3
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read! Set during World War II at an aviation plant in Fort William (now Thunder Bay), Ontario, it portrays an interesting period of Canadian history, and particularly women's roles on the home front. The story is told from the points of view of four very different women. There's Audrey, a spunky, engaging, underage runaway from Alberta who is hired as snack-cart girl, as well as unofficial spy for the head stenographer. Ruby, the head stenographer, is a local girl ...more
rabbitprincess
Jan 14, 2011 rabbitprincess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of books with multiple female protagonists, or those who read WW2 homefront novels
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: CBC Between the Covers
Dolores
An absolute joy to read. I have recommended it to many. Real life Ontario during the war. Four great women characters in a wonderful story with humour thrown in.
Sandra
Set in Fort William-Port Artur-Thunder Bay area of northern Ontario and at the Fort William Aviation head office and plant. Characters include strong women like Muriel with a Master's in Aeronautical Engineering, Audrey who ran away from her home in Alberta to becaome the snack wagon girl, Ruby Kozak who writes the "Voice" and wants to be an investigative journalist and Florence Voutilainen who learns to blow the trumpet from Thaddeus Brink, an escapee from Angler detainee camp. Authentic detail ...more
Scugog Memorial Public Library
2010 Durham Region Public Libraries "Pass the Book" selection.
Vionna
This is definitely a character driven book, from Audrey who is such a zany young girl with an attitude for life; Ruby who is so ambitious and somewhat snobbish, Florence who has such a hard cross to bear and finally Muriel whose engineering accomplishments are quite unbelievable for a young woman during that period of time - WW2. The plot was on the slim side, but overall a good read. I hope she hones her skills as a novelist as well as a poet.
charming, light reading...loved the intertwined stories of the 4 women's lives...brings home the fact that all actions have consequences. ...sometimes ones we don't see or intend.
Alexis
Oct 31, 2009 Alexis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did as the concept was so interesting. It followed a bunch of characters working at an aviation factory in Ontario during the Second World War. However, the plot lines just didn't keep me hooked in. Some good characters, but I wasn't as interested as I wanted to be.
Tracy
Not bad. It was very simple story with simple characters. The book moved along at a decent pace and never really seem to have a great climax. Things just happened and ended. Parts that could have been truly sad or exciting, didn't really read that way for me.
Jack Coleman
Mar 21, 2011 Jack Coleman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jack by: Book Club Selection
Funny look at Women's participation in the war effort.(WW2)
I liked the some of the characters and the History but the story
doesn't have the umph to make it memorable.
Gwnhwyfer
I've picked up this book to read twice now, but just as I get into it, something distracts me. I will read this book...one day. ;)
Samantha Adkins
A lively tale involving four fascinating female characters. Brilliantly researched, beautiful phrasing, and overall extremely entertaining.
Corinne Wasilewski
A fun read with "plucky" (Muriel's word, not mine) female characters. Lynes did a great job at giving the book a 1940's feel. Dialogue was key.
Jocelyne
It was alright. A little boring; was interesting the historical things about Thunder Bay Aviation in it.
Carrie Marcotte
What an enjoyable book written in a unique way. Love the story of women factory workers during war-time.
Kate
Fun at times, and interesting for the history, but I didn't really understand the... point of it?
Carla
I found it somewhat slow in the beginning but it picked up later on.
Rhea Tregebov
Fascinating history of this period.
Peter
A delight.....
Raykel
Raykel added it
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
231949
Jeanette Lynes is an award-winning author and has published half a dozen collections of her poetry, as well as both appearing in and editing several anthologies. The Factory Voice is her first published work of fiction.

She has served in writer-in-residence positions in Saskatoon and Dawson Creek, BC. She holds a Ph.D in English from York University and an MFA in Creative Writing from the Universit
More about Jeanette Lynes...
Archive of the Undressed: Poems It's Hard Being Queen: The Dusty Springfield Poems A Woman Alone on the Atikokan Highway The New Blue Distance: Poems The Aging Cheerleader's Alphabet

“The wolves howl bluer than Billie Holliday, but they don't spoil my song.” 0 likes