Start by marking “The Factory Voice” as Want to Read:
The Factory Voice

The Factory Voice

The lives and dreams of four vital, engaging, women revolve around mysterious events at a Fort William military aircraft factory in 1941.
Loyalty and betrayal, love and worthiness, friendship and ambition are the themes which connect the characters in this lively, quirky, fast-paced novel.
Wrapped around the stories of these four women, is a mystery. Something's gone wrong
Published May 1st 2009 by Coteau Books

To ask other readers questions about The Factory Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Factory Voice

Dianne
Oct 21, 2011 Dianne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is the story of four women, Audrey, Muriel, Ruby and Florence, all of whom work at Fort William Aviation, a military aircraft factory in Ontario. The year is 1941 and women are filling the jobs left vacant by the men who have gone off to war.

These women couldn't be more different in situation and personality. The authour has created fresh, believable characters as unique as any you would find in real life. These are the kind of people who work their way into your head and stay there long af
rabbitprincess
Sep 25, 2010 rabbitprincess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of books with multiple female protagonists, or those who read WW2 homefront novels
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: CBC Between the Covers
Steven Buechler
Nov 13, 2014 Steven Buechler rated it it was amazing
While Lynes has documented the war cause on the home front, she has gone beyond just telling the story of four women in a factory. Each of the protagonists has some deep secret or obstacle they need to overcome. And the drama they create or endure makes for a great read.

Heidi Strybos
Mar 16, 2015 Heidi Strybos rated it liked it
Read this for book club but enjoyed it more than others. I was a little disappointed with character development in the middle but it came around at the end.
Shannon
Mar 02, 2017 Shannon rated it really liked it
The book starts out with such gusto. The first of the four women is a real "firecracker" of a girl racing from her old life in small town Alberta to where the moon sets in east in shiny and happening Ontario, where we meet Ruby who is trying to escape small town Ontario. I enjoyed this juxtaposition - one girl's small town is another girl's big town. The language of this book is so much fun to read. The four women are each very different and engaging in their own ways. There are a few other char ...more
Laura Beeby
Dec 17, 2016 Laura Beeby rated it really liked it
As a former resident of the Lakehead, it was awesome to read about my old hometown and experience real winters and the scenery again, if only through effective and accurate descriptions.

I also liked the strong female characters but I confess I wish the author had followed through with some possible narrative threads that could have added to the drama.

I also yearn for a sequel. What happens to these women after the relative excitement and freedom of their wartime career...All of them seem so am
Pooker
Sep 06, 2011 Pooker rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada, fiction
I've given this book four stars mostly because of the pure delight it was for me to read a book set in Fort William (now part of Thunder Bay). I don't think I've before had the pleasure of reading a book set in the city in which I spent my teenaged years in the late 60s. I loved the place and the time I spent there. So it was indeed delightful to read of the characters going to Chippewa Park, Hillcrest Park and Chapples Department Store and travelling down streets familiar to me.

There is nothing
Rhiannon Ryder
Mar 01, 2011 Rhiannon Ryder rated it really liked it
I like a good Canadian read when I can get it, and so my mother in law took on the impressive task of gifting me with two Canadian reads this Christmas. Impressive because my house literally groans under the weight of a vast and varied collection of books scaring most people off giving me books (other than the hubby who can peruse said collection at will), and also because a good Canadian read usually means you have to dig a little deeper than the best seller shelf at the local bookstore.

Fun fa
Mrsgaskell
Oct 11, 2011 Mrsgaskell rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mrsgaskell by: Pooker3
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read! Set during World War II at an aviation plant in Fort William (now Thunder Bay), Ontario, it portrays an interesting period of Canadian history, and particularly women's roles on the home front. The story is told from the points of view of four very different women. There's Audrey, a spunky, engaging, underage runaway from Alberta who is hired as snack-cart girl, as well as unofficial spy for the head stenographer. Ruby, the head stenographer, is a local girl ...more
Jim
Aug 30, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Factory Voice was on the longlist for the 2009 Giller's prize and it is easy to see why it was so popular. Set in Fort William (now part of Thunder Bay) during WWII in a factory that manufactures Mosquito bombers. It is almost entirely staffed by women right from Audrey the diminutive snack cart girl to Muriel MacGregor, the Chief Engineer. It is written in an easy to read, keep-the-pages-turning style with a certain "Corner Gas" style humour; the type that makes you smile or chuckle at diff ...more
Dolores Bretecher
Nov 28, 2015 Dolores Bretecher rated it really liked it
The Factory Voice is well-written, fast-paced, and a very enjoyable read. This historical novel takes place in Fort William, Ontario during the 2nd world war. The factory makes military planes.

Audrey Foley, not yet 18, leaves home in Spruce Grove, Alberta, to work in this facility. Muriel McGregor leaves British Columbia to do the same; she the new chief engineer, Audrey the new snack - wagon girl. Ruby Kozak hired Audrey and others, but although she is a stenographer, she also writes the Factor
Sandra
Jan 21, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: canlit, read-2009
Set in Fort William-Port Artur-Thunder Bay area of northern Ontario and at the Fort William Aviation head office and plant. Characters include strong women like Muriel with a Master's in Aeronautical Engineering, Audrey who ran away from her home in Alberta to becaome the snack wagon girl, Ruby Kozak who writes the "Voice" and wants to be an investigative journalist and Florence Voutilainen who learns to blow the trumpet from Thaddeus Brink, an escapee from Angler detainee camp. Authentic detail ...more
Cristina Hutchinson
Apr 10, 2015 Cristina Hutchinson rated it it was ok
I couldn't understand the point of this book. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did.

[image error]

There were also too many points of views. It got confusing, and I kept finding myself flipping back in the book to remember where else that point had been referenced, or who else knew about it.

And as another reviewer mentioned, having one main character experience two improbable coincidences with other characters was just too much. That's not following the rules of books.
Vionna
Sep 07, 2009 Vionna rated it liked it
This is definitely a character driven book, from Audrey who is such a zany young girl with an attitude for life; Ruby who is so ambitious and somewhat snobbish, Florence who has such a hard cross to bear and finally Muriel whose engineering accomplishments are quite unbelievable for a young woman during that period of time - WW2. The plot was on the slim side, but overall a good read. I hope she hones her skills as a novelist as well as a poet.
Alexis
Oct 26, 2009 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did as the concept was so interesting. It followed a bunch of characters working at an aviation factory in Ontario during the Second World War. However, the plot lines just didn't keep me hooked in. Some good characters, but I wasn't as interested as I wanted to be.
Kristal
Mar 16, 2016 Kristal rated it it was ok
This was good for the first three-quarters of the book, but it feels as though the writer wasn't sure how to finish all of the stories she'd set into motion. Years were suddenly glossed over, neat and tidy resolutions were doled out for everyone and the book just sort of fizzled out. I'm not sure that any pf the characters (especially Ruby) earned the resolutions they got.
Tracy
Aug 02, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok
Not bad. It was very simple story with simple characters. The book moved along at a decent pace and never really seem to have a great climax. Things just happened and ended. Parts that could have been truly sad or exciting, didn't really read that way for me.
Scugog Memorial Public Library
2010 Durham Region Public Libraries "Pass the Book" selection.
Samantha Adkins
Jun 09, 2011 Samantha Adkins rated it it was amazing
A lively tale involving four fascinating female characters. Brilliantly researched, beautiful phrasing, and overall extremely entertaining.
Carrie Marcotte
What an enjoyable book written in a unique way. Love the story of women factory workers during war-time.
Corinne Wasilewski
Jun 01, 2013 Corinne Wasilewski rated it liked it
A fun read with "plucky" (Muriel's word, not mine) female characters. Lynes did a great job at giving the book a 1940's feel. Dialogue was key.
Gwnhwyfer
I've picked up this book to read twice now, but just as I get into it, something distracts me. I will read this book...one day. ;)
Jack Coleman
Mar 21, 2011 Jack Coleman rated it liked it
Recommended to Jack by: Book Club Selection
Funny look at Women's participation in the war effort.(WW2)
I liked the some of the characters and the History but the story
doesn't have the umph to make it memorable.
Jocelyne
It was alright. A little boring; was interesting the historical things about Thunder Bay Aviation in it.
Jan 10, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub, pcbc-reads
charming, light reading...loved the intertwined stories of the 4 women's lives...brings home the fact that all actions have consequences. ...sometimes ones we don't see or intend.
Dolores
Feb 26, 2014 Dolores rated it it was amazing
An absolute joy to read. I have recommended it to many. Real life Ontario during the war. Four great women characters in a wonderful story with humour thrown in.
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Incident Report
  • The Heart Specialist
  • The Better Mother
  • Bedtime Story
  • Extensions
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • Away from Everywhere
  • Settlers of the Marsh
  • Crackpot: A Novel
  • Suddenly
231949
Jeanette Lynes is an award-winning author and has published half a dozen collections of her poetry, as well as both appearing in and editing several anthologies. The Factory Voice is her first published work of fiction.

She has served in writer-in-residence positions in Saskatoon and Dawson Creek, BC. She holds a Ph.D in English from York University and an MFA in Creative Writing from the Universit
More about Jeanette Lynes...

“The wolves howl bluer than Billie Holliday, but they don't spoil my song.” 3 likes