Start by marking “The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry” as Want to Read:
The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry

The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry (Cartoon Guides)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  28 reviews
If you have ever suspected that "heavy water" is the title of a bootleg Pink Floyd album, believed that surface tension is an anxiety disorder, or imagined that a noble gas is the result of a heavy meal at Buckingham Palace, then you need The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry to set you on the road to chemical literacy.

You don't need to be a scientist to grasp these and many othe
Published May 3rd 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry

Scratch 2.0 Programming by Denis GolikovThe Big Field by Anne MorddelOn The Ocean Floor by Bruce DegenIs a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is? by Robert E. WellsThe Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip by Joanna Cole
Science for Kids
18th out of 172 books — 53 voters
Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language by David R. KleinQuantitative Chemical Analysis by Daniel C. HarrisIgnition! by John D. ClarkGeneral Chemistry by Linus PaulingThe Cartoon Guide to Chemistry by Larry Gonick
Chemistry
5th out of 114 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

John
I relearned all I had forgotten from high school chemistry. Basically everything. Very amusing illustrations as well.
Amy
One thing I have noticed in my life is that I really have a hard time learning by just reading something and while I liked the characters and the visualization of it, I found some parts of it still hard to grasp until I could actually do experiments myself. While I am only learning high school chemistry, it cleared up a few things as well as giving a look of history to see how chemistry came up.

For those of you that want a humorous and visual approach to learning this subject, I recommend this.
Derek Bridge
I was bought this as a Christmas present from a friend who was appalled at how little I knew of chemistry. Having read it very carefully, I'm pleased I'm no longer a chemistry ignoramus.

The cartoon format makes things engaging - not so much because it's funny (it generally isn't) but more because it encourages the authors to divide the material into manageable chunks and to think of visual metaphors.

That doesn't mean that it's a simple book. Chemistry is often difficult, and use of cartoons does
meme
These type of books provides a unique approach to a subject usually considered accessible only to eggheads. It is crammed with clear, concise, amusing illustrations. Definitions are reduced to clear, simple sentences, but the book has plenty of equations, which do require some thought. As palatable as the author makes the subject, it is still chemistry. I like that the book has brief descriptions of theories, provides perspective and an idea of how major theories developed and built over the cen ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
540 - 2013

#Program BUBU

Dari judulnya saja sudah kartun, tapi tetap kuberi nomor baca yang menandakan buku ini bukan komik selayaknya manga dan sejenisnya. Mengapa? Karena dibanding kartunnya lebih banyak tulisannya :)

Ruwet, tapi menarik banget. Coba waktu kuliah kimia dulu buku pegangannya semenarik penyampaian Larry Gonnick. Mungkin aku nggak bakal pindah ke akuntansi... dan kayaknya Larry Gonnick tidak membuat Kartun Akuntansi deh :D

-----------------

Dulu aku membeli dan membaca buku ini tahun
Isaac
Damn you Mr. Edgington!!! I hated chemistry in high school (and nearly didn't graduate) because of him. This was my first attempt to catch up since then with my main man Larry Gonick, who does a neat take on it - picture you're stranded on a desert island with a slew of natural resources and need to make fire, gunpowder, etc...- but feels obliged to include enough information to make for very slow reading compared with his 'CG to Physics'. Still, there are worse teachers than this.
Kate
Entertaining and informative. Gonick tries to cover a lot of ground in his cartoon guide to chemistry, but some of the content is a bit murky and oversimplified. I don't know if I'd recommend this book to a layperson, but someone who knows chemistry could certainly make recommendations on specific passages that explain tricky concepts well.
Tim
As advertised this is a serious though low-level conceptual introduction to the discipline of chemistry carried through in an engaging graphical format. Surprisingly, the authors even include some problem solving examples and some math (particularly the use of logarithms), all without detracting from the engaging qualities of the book.
Michael
I've tried twice to learn something about chemistry from this book, with very little takeaway. Unlike in Gonick's superb history books, the illustrations here are neither helpful nor particularly funny. I suspect it is best used as a refresher text for someone who already knows the stuff, but just needs a refresher.
Aleisha Z Coleman
it was way math and formula heavy for me. i would have appreciated a bit more conversation. but i read it in one day and it had some fun pictures and witty comments. not for the faint of heart however. read it in preparation for my biology test, i hope enough of it sunk in to the next level for me!
Doug
Good summary, entertainingly illustrated, of high school level chemistry...in fact, some of it my reside in the AP or basic college level, as parts of the book are mathematics and formula-intensive. I'd recommend this to a visual learner who is struggling with the intangible aspects of learning chemistry.
Bonnie Daley
I'm about halfway through this fun book about chemistry. I do have to admit that it is helpful to have some background knowledge. But this book is great at filling in the gaps in a humorous and entertaining way.
~Lyn~
Formalin, boraks, arsenik, antioksidan, metanol, sampai nuklir, merupakan istilah-istilah teknis ilmu kimia. Di buku ini, bentuk, asal-usul, dan dampak benda-benda itu dapat dipelajari.
Verdi
It wasn't very detailed. It only had illustrations of molecules. It didn't have any reactions, especially not any explosive stuff.
Pepquímic
Very funny book where you can discover the history of Chemistry, the composition of the matter and the reactions between chemiscals.
Elijah
A lot of this guy's books are fucked up but his science stuff is decent. Anything helps.. especially all his pictures of electron orbitals
Tiffany
This book is a must for all science geeks. I have always liked this artist's comics, so this just iced my cake.
Junio
Mar 18, 2007 Junio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
I only took a semester of Chem in High School. This book brings me up to date on all I need to know.
Stephen
Spouse uses it to teach basic and intermediate concepts to students. Our family loves Gonick.
Katra
Not as fun for me as the Cartoon Guide to Genetics, probably just due to my prior interest level.
Erie
bagus dan lucu dan nggak membosankan untuk yang mau belajar kimia secara mudah....
David
Suprisingly more informative and a less easy read than you might expect.
Hanrong Tham
An enjoyable read. Suitable for all Chemistry students and teachers.
John
Couldn't have gotten through General Chemistry without this one....
Irfin
it's quite boring... =p
Bagus Briliana
baru mau baca juga. hehe
Angela Barakat
I read this with my son.
gkbowood
gkbowood marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
  • Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe
  • A Chemical History of a Candle
  • Molecules at an Exhibition: Portraits of Intriguing Materials in Everyday Life
  • The Joy of Chemistry: The Amazing Science of Familiar Things
  • Two-Fisted Science
  • Chemistry
  • CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
  • General Chemistry
  • Clan Apis
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • Chemistry: The Central Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • The Manga Guide to Physics
  • Alan Moore's America's Best Comics
  • Great Mambo Chicken And The Transhuman Condition: Science Slightly Over The Edge
  • Detektif Conan Vol. 61
  • Chemistry for Dummies
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The ...more
More about Larry Gonick...

Cartoon Guides (10 books)
  • The Cartoon Guide to Calculus
  • The Cartoon Guide to Sex
  • The Cartoon Guide to the Computer
  • Kartun (Non) Komunikasi
  • The Cartoon Guide To U. S. History
Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great Cartoon History of the Universe II, Vol. 8-13: From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution The Cartoon Guide to Statistics