Start by marking “Oh, Were They Ever Happy!” as Want to Read:
Oh, Were They Ever Happy!

Oh, Were They Ever Happy!

One Saturday morning while their parents are away, the three Noonan children decide to paint the house.
Published 1978 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Were They Ever Happy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Were They Ever Happy!

Kathryn
Jan 19, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This book has been around for awhile and I can see why! It's the sort of story that parents and children will read and enjoy together--yet both will get something different out of it. When the parents in this story leave to run errands all day, the baby sitter fails to show up and the kids decide to "help" Mom and Dad by painting the house for them (a task Mom and Dad both planned to do). And, oh my, are they creative and exuberant in their color schemes and quite thorough in their paint job! Th ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children, as long as the paint cans are locked away
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Pure fun! Three very good, obedient, resourceful, and helpful children decide to do a needed chore when their parents leave for the day and the babysitter doesn’t show up. The children, their dog, their cat, their tools, the bathroom (the children are so good they do clean up after themselves) and oh yes, the house they’re painting all get very colorful, the house and the property in particular. The illustrations are very, very, very colorful. I know children who will feel gleeful as the story p ...more
Tracy Poff
This review also appears on my blog.

The three Noonan children, mistakenly left at home without a babysitter, decide to spend their day helping out by painting the house. Oh, won't their parents be happy!

OhWereTheyEverHappy-cover

Peter Spier's Oh, Were They Ever Happy! follows the children from beginning ("I do not know who thought of it first, but there was plenty of paint in the garage.") to end ("Sure looks swell! Won't they be happy when they come home and see what we've done!"). As the children go along, they gradua
Bambini Travel
Apr 22, 2014 Bambini Travel rated it really liked it
New books are wonderful...I love discovering new talented authors and watching children's literature evolve. On the other hand, every now and then I discover an older book that is timeless and delightful and I just have to share. This is a book that one of my children randomly pulled off the shelf at the library one afternoon. It is the colorful story of three siblings who are left at home and decide to help their parents out by painting the house. Their messy and outrageous painting style remin ...more
Sally
Jun 25, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
As opposed to Spier's other books I love that are a visual feast, this one made me squirm. The babysitter never shows up!? The kids paint the house like a Pollack?!
Eric
Jan 04, 2016 Eric rated it did not like it
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 14, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
This story brings us another episode in the Noonan family, who also appear in Spier's later books Christmas and Rain. Before their parents leave the children at home to run errands for the day, Mrs. Noonan remarks to her husband that the house needs painting. When the babysitter never arrives, the three children decide to surprise their parents by painting the house themselves. Opportunistically gathering up a large collection of half-filled paint cans from the garage, they set to work painting ...more
Vicki
Feb 28, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
I always get a wonderful reaction from the group when this book is read aloud, especially by the adults in attendance. I would have given the book 5 stars, but it does bother me that the parents in this book, leave their children before the babysitter arrives. I guess there wouldn't be a premise for the action in this book otherwise. The children listening to this book love to watch for the cat and dog in this story as it unfolds. Many giggles during this read, that I have used for years.
Karen
Mar 13, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and their parents
This is a really cute book about some kid that were left alone (the babysitter was supposed to show up in minutes, but didn't come) and decided to paint the house. Children can follow them through the whole process, right down to cleaning the brushes and leaving the paint cans out on the curb for the garbage man. This story is creative and colorful, imaginative and fun.
Kati Polodna
Nov 23, 2015 Kati Polodna rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! I was going though some of my old things and found this book. My mom must have bought it from my school library because it's stamped withdrawn. I loved loved this book as a child. Rereading it was a delight!
Christa Balero
I love this book! The story is so cute and I love the humorous sarcasm of the text. This is a great book to read to kids to show how pictures help you understand the text. In the story, the pictures tell you what is actually happening in contrast to the perspective of the children.
The Brothers
Feb 13, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Some children overhear their mother asking their father when he will paint the outside of the house. When their parents go off to run errands and the babysitter fails to show up, the children decide to tackle the chore themselves. Using a variety of paint and styles, create a masterpiece color out of their house.

Excellent illustrations.
Vivian
Mar 31, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of my family's favorite books.
Danette
Jul 29, 2016 Danette rated it really liked it
Fantastic!
Kimberly
Feb 20, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a picture book that is really for adults since the humor can't be appreciated by most children. It's a delightful story of children wanting to help their parents by painting the house. As can easily be imagined, the results are quite interesting!
Joseph
Dec 05, 2008 Joseph rated it it was amazing
I found this on my parents book shelf as I was reading books to the kids. This is a book that fascinated me when I was a kid. The pictures are great and the story is mischievous...the only problem is that I am afraid I will give Cy too many ideas.
Kara
Jul 04, 2008 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I re-read this the other day and it's still good. A highly quotable story, and very relevant to anyone who as a child decided to "help" and/or those who are now parents and suffer through the same thing on the other end now.
Teresa B
Sep 13, 2009 Teresa B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another of this amazing author-illustrator's DELIGHTFUL stories that you simply MUST read with your young children!!!!! (If you don't have any young ones, borrow a niece, nephew, or a neighbor.)
Cana
Aug 31, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Great illustrations, which is what you would expect from Peter Spier. And a great tale about some very, very helpful children whose babysitter does not show up! (Note to self: LOCK UP THE PAINT!)
Betty Kim
Mar 15, 2011 Betty Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: colors, creativity
The children paint the house to help their parents when they are out to run their errands. The children paint the house with different colors. It shows creativity for the use of the color.
P
Dec 14, 2012 P rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites from childhood.

"I don't know who thought of it first, but there was plenty of paint in the garage..."
Jen Lindberg
Oct 01, 2010 Jen Lindberg rated it it was amazing
Exactly what every child dreams of doing, but would never even dare! And every parent's nightmare. Funny, funny, funny.
Keidra Polite
Feb 04, 2010 Keidra Polite rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
I learned that children can be more creative than adults. This book teaches you to be proud of your work.
Evelyn Saenz
The children were just trying to help out and please their parents the day they painted the house.
Fran
Sep 01, 2014 Fran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children
A great book. Another one not to show your kids! 8-)
Lisa
Apr 30, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a child!
Nathan
Apr 04, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love this book!
Bari
Jan 13, 2011 Bari rated it it was amazing
Best book ever
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016