Start by marking “The Book of Jonah” as Want to Read:
The Book of Jonah

The Book of Jonah

This is the story of Jonah and the whale, delightfully told and beautifully illustrated.
Published August 12th 2000 by Baker Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Jonah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Jonah

Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 22, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Peter Spier has again brought us an enthralling rendition of a beloved Bible story. Unlike his wordless Noah's Ark, this book includes text that closely parallels the biblical story, but the intricate detail and visual drama are interesting enough to keep pre-readers engaged long after the story has been read aloud. For older readers, there is a postscript containing a fair bit of historical background, maps and archaelogical information about the historical Nineveh.

The book has been reprinted w
Courtney Hendrix
Feb 27, 2017 Courtney Hendrix rated it it was amazing
The Book of Jonah storybook is a summary for children about the story of Jonah in the Holy Bible. This story highlights all the main points and does a good job of not changing the main points or meaning of the story.

I love this story book because it gives children the opportunity to learn about God's word but in a way they can better understand. I really appreciate how the author didn't change any events in the story and still kept it eventful. The illustrations are also a great addition for chi
Whole And
Excellent retelling of Jonah and the whale. Some older language used as well as a few conceptual gaps that would need to be discussed and filled in but overall rich, expressive and engaging illustrations tell a large part of the story visually.

There is so much to touch on from this retelling such as our fears that can come up just as Jonah's did when God instructed him to go to Nineveh as we may be guided. The invisible yet palpable power and force of God to continue to direct us and the mercy
Margaret Chind
Sep 08, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelweiss
I want this book! We have a handful of Peter Spier books around here, and love them all. Noah's Ark is one that we read again and again, and the kids just sit and stare at the illustrations and limited words for hours. They just soak in the story. I believe that The Book of Jonah will be along the same lines for their benefit. In my opinion it's beautiful and I'm loving these Spier reprints!

I read a digital arc and definitely plan to get a physical copy for our shelves.
Amy
Jun 10, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spier’s signature detailed pen& ink and watercolor illustrations bring the biblical tale to life, but it is his more restrained illustrations – Jonah in the desert, or a ship on a calm moonlit sea- that make the viewer pause and notice Spier’s mastery of the picture book. This welcome reprint of the 1985 classic features and updated appendix relating the history of and damage to the ancient site of Ninevah and Jonah’s tomb as a result of the conflict in Iraq. Highly Recommended for all libra ...more
Andrea
Mar 24, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing
With some of the obscure details of the story included, this picture book is a great one for bringing the biblical story to life. It also includes archaeological information on Ninevah and Tarshish, cities in the story. I really liked Peter Spier's illustrations because they are both comical and believable. He has a great black-line style that is unpretentious. Families who base their values on the Bible ought to encourage their children to read and remember the stories found there and to rely o ...more
Alex
Aug 21, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
If you're gonna read Moby-Dick, read this and Coleridge's Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner first. It's not like it takes super long or anything.

(I did not actually read this children's illustrated version...this is just the only book that's only the story of Jonah that I could find. I read the King James version.)
Beth
Jan 13, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated story book that gives way more information about Jonah's story than most children's books. There even historical information in the back of the book that includes a map of Assyria, a map of Nineveh, and information on the type of ship Jonah was on.
Rachel Watkins
Sep 07, 2014 Rachel Watkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, biblical
Every book Peter Spier illustrates is made with meticulous and beautiful details. This particular book about the story of Jonah has been out of print since 1985. The six pages of background on the story at the back of the book are particularly fascinating.
Tasha
Apr 26, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
This is a well done book, lots of small pictures but probably too much for preschoolers. I would use this maybe starting 1st/2nd grade. Would be really good for kids up to 6th grade. Not sure the illustrations are the best, it's very busy but there are plenty of them.
Christine
I'm not really a fan of this Bible story, but Peter Spier's illustrations are, as usual, absolutely amazing. He is one of my very favorite illustrators.
Danette
Jul 25, 2016 Danette rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read with Naomi & Julia.
Edward Sullivan
A reissue of Spier's richly illustrated version of the Old Testament story. Originally published in 1985.
Colette
Apr 09, 2015 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colorful, historical, and well researched Book of Jonah suited for elementary aged children.
Claire
Nov 05, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-kids
We love Peter Spier. He has to be one of the best author/illustrators for young kids.
Brendan Howard
Jun 09, 2015 Brendan Howard rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-zahara
The 6-year-old was underwhelmed. Honestly, a lot of the Bible's stories are interesting to me as an adult fan of folklore and thought games, but ehhhh. They'd be boring to me if I was a kid too.
Michelle's Book
Nov 25, 2013 Michelle's Book rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book cover is on my Pinterest board and my blog, Michelle Dragalin’s Journey.
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Ann Drew
Ann Drew rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Rose Dernoncourt
Rose Dernoncourt rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2010
J.E.
J.E. rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Scot Marvin
Scot Marvin rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Angelica
Angelica rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016