Start by marking “365 Days” as Want to Read:
365 Days

365 Days

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A year in the life of a world-renowned artist

Despite Julie Doucet's renunciation of her comics-centric lifestyle more than five years ago, 365 Days is imbued with the iconic talent and studied aesthetic of her seminal comic book series Dirty Plotte, which catapulted her into being one of the world's greatest cartoonists. This visual journal, starting in late 2002, is an id
Published January 8th 2008 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published January 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 365 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365 Days

Ciara
Dec 27, 2008 Ciara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: diarists, comic artists, accolades of le langue de fracais
it's not the most original idea in the world: everyday for a year, julie doucet decides that she would draw an autobiographical comic of whatever was going on with the day. but because i like julie's comics, & also because the comics series really started to feel a lot like a diary, full of insecurities, to-do lists, doodles, accounts of dreams, bad news, etc, i liked this a lot. she didn't reach for the funny of the profound--she just drew what she wanted to draw because it was weighing on ...more
Donovan
Picked this up at the store after spotting it while dusting the shelves. I'm a big fan of collage work and comics and I'm trying to read more independent works. I'd never read anything by Julie Doucet; honestly, I'd no idea who she was, so I was absent of any preconceived opinions on the artist or her work.

I have two main thoughts about the book: 1. I wish I could see it in it's original text {and that I could read French}. 2. I kept on thinking back to the world before the ubiquity of constant
Jamie
I'd almost go to three stars since I did like what I read of this and I admire Doucet's honesty in her art and her overall perseverance, but after almost half of it, I was ready to move onto a full-fledged story again. (Hello, "The Great Night!")

As it would be if just about anyone documented every day for a year of their life, it got redundant quickly, but it did offer a glimpse of what it could be like to make a living as a non-MFA artist and of the creative process (complete with bouts of sel
Regan Sharp
I found my copy of this book hidden in the back shelves of a discount bookstore in Amish country in PA. There may be a lesson there in not making your entry into someone's work based on happenstance.

I can't say that I was particularly impressed by any aspect of the book. The cartoons were okay, but not much more than doodles (the artwork in her comics seems to be superior) and on some days less than that--nothing more than squiggles around a few words. (Also, is there a reason that she consiste
Lola Wallace
Julie Doucet is known for her crazy, sexually explicit comics about her crazy dreams and health problems and young adulthood. this book has very little of that. instead, it covers a year of Doucet's life as a thirtysomething professional artist. while she travels and socializes a lot, most of the days described in this book are spent screenprinting, carving linocuts and cutting up old magazines while watching old movies on TV. which is kind of more interesting, at least to me. I'm interested in ...more
Jeffrey
Julie Doucet has always been one of my favorite cartoonists, but unfortunately for comics readers, she quit comics to pursue other art forms. So this book isn't comics exactly, but maybe it is, depending on how you want to argue about what 'comics' means. Best read at a rate of maybe 20 pages a day, her densely packed diary doesn't have the humor her 'My New York Diary' had, but is nonetheless fascinating as a document of a year in the life of an artist. As with all 'diary comics' there are time ...more
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2008 Rebecca added it
Recommends it for: people with a lot of time and very good vision
Comparisons to "The Principles of Uncertainty"? I want to read it! But I can't. I like visual storytelling, I like Drawn and Quarterly, I like diaries, I like women comics artists, I like Montreal, but mama mia -- I also like white space, and this doesn't have any!! The rave reviews on Goodreads are causing me a lot of guilt for sending this back to CML without finding out what this "daily life of an artist" is like, but I'm going to anyway. Maybe I can access Julie Doucet in smaller doses some ...more
Margot
You can indeed judge this book by its cover. It's crammed with drawings and words, both handwritten and cut/pasted typewritten text. And intense read!

Julie Doucet gives us an inside glimpse into her life for an entire year, drawing a memoir with daily entries. She is more honest about her daily interactions, inner thoughts and experiences than I could have been, that's for sure.

We favorite voyeur experiences while reading her memoir included learning about the actualities of living as an artist,
Phyllis
I love diary comics. Give me a zine with some lady drawing about what she wore and what she took to the vegan potluck and I will be happy as a clam. But I found this collection of a year's worth of diary comics from the legendary Julie Doucet to be especially memorable, because it's so interesting to see what day to day life is like for a woman artist. I appreciated the perspective from a woman in her late 30s after reading multiple diary comics by women in their early 20s, too. I'm afraid that ...more
Sara
This is very good. An interesting and seemingly accurate account of the author/artist's day to day life; including the grind that is the life of a struggling albeit successful cartoonist. Doucet is indeed an artist - don't let the cartoons fool you, this is still a demanding and difficult pursuit. I'm also impressed that much of her work is lino cutting and printing.

It is sometimes difficult to make out what has been written and the pages can be visually tiring to look at for very long. I think
Pippypippy Madden
I've long been a fan of Julie D. Her comic, Dirty Plotte, was her best work, in my opinion. But this book provides a glimpse into everyday life and work as an artist, from a very interesting perspective of being part of the art scene in Canada. The drawing style is slightly different, as she has taken to drawing herself looking more mature but she maintains her earthiness and honesty. The dream sequences are funny and sweet as always. Her layouts and the sense of perspective are wonderfully imag ...more
Pascale
So far, the best book of the year. Julie Doucet is a French Canadian comic artist whose work I didn’t know until I came upon this gem at Powell’s. She kept a journal in comic book format for a year, drawing herself in an unflattering way, most often making scowling grimaces when she’s annoyed. I loved reading about places she visited, books she read, and work she accomplished. This was a great little book I loved dragging around everywhere until I was done; the best comparison I could make to it ...more
Anne
I enjoyed this book because I already love Julie Doucet, and it was interesting to me to get a glimpse of her day-to-day life. However, I agree with some of the reviewers that she is complains quite a lot(!) and the format can be headache inducing. I would never recommend this to someone who has never read her work. My New York Diary is definitely a better choice for first time readers, and a great read overall. 365 is really only one for serious Julie Doucet lovers or people simply interested i ...more
Shawntain
I love Julie Doucet's comics and it was fun to read her page-a-day comic diary all about her life in Montreal, trials and tribulations of the art/comics world, friends and family, and domestic life with her cat. Sometimes I wished it dig a little deeper, like her graphic novels and memoirs, but I still found it a fun and satisfying read. The drawing style is not as dense and black as her other work, so at first I found it weird but later I liked how loose it was.
Joe
This was intriguing but very unsatisfying. An artist has to do some really spectacular work for me to be interesting in reading a whole year of one day/page comics for 365 days. I like how she draws herself grubby and malformed but reading about print shops and trying to make deadlines and self-referential stuff about the book I am reading is not fun. I admit I only made it about 1/4 into the year and then skipped around but then dropped it completely.
Samra
i liked the drawing mixed with collage. otherwise it was rather boring and struggle to get through due to her switch between print and cursive both of which weren't quite legible. she just tells you what she does day in and out with little-to-no explanation of WHY or how she feels. She goes off about using English or that she doesn't "get" Americans but never shows the reader any back story as to how her feelings came about. Sadly this is not a keeper for me.
Ginfur
From this book, I learned that too much input makes me grumbly. Although I enjoyed 2 comic journals recently, this one was just too much - I could not find anything to connect to in it. I think I was too lost in the unorganized frenetic feel of the book.

My life is already a hot mess, I apparently need a little more organization in some aspect of my life - and was not finding anything worth holding on to in this journal. So, that's what I learned.
Steve
I love Julie Doucet's work so I'm kinda biased here. Routinely great. Pretty interesting insight in the day-to-day life of a "struggling Canadian artist" Page layout can be problematic for the uninitiated and the smaller format got to be hard to read at times (but that could just be me being old). I would have liked a larger format (8x10) but whatcha gonna do. I don't know if this will win over any new fans but it was really fun to read.
Haley
comic artists need to get over themselves. This is mostly a diary of complaints- don't know bout you but if I was only making art as my full time gig- I would be happy as, as...Pie? (what's the phrase?) I have never read a comic's diary that didn't make me like them less by the end of it.
On the upside, it made me want to put it down (almost everytime I picked it up) and go do some art instead.
jessica
Feb 15, 2008 jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of comics and/or other people's journals
dang! this is dense. i am new to julie doucet, and i like this very much. it is a book i think i can pick up and read and feel inspired, put it down, repeat...for years!
she basically draws and writes about her daily life as an artist, going to the studio, meeting deadlines, etc.
it is so different from my daily routine that it is refreshing to read.
Lana
This wasn't bad, but it reminded me of when I try to read books in my dreams. It was like the words kept moving around, I had to read a sentence several times to retain it, and then even after staring at a page for a few minutes to fully understand it I forgot everything about it as soon as I looked away.
Sara
The compulsive desire to document daily life is contagious. I send a postcard a day to people instead of keeping a journal. This comic version of a year in one artist's life is like time travel. looking back through a year in someone else's life, the details that they add or those that they leave out...
Drawn  And Quarterly
"Julie Doucet is a conceptual artist trapped in a cartoonist's body... finding fresh ways to channel her creative eruptions onto paper." --The Village Voice

"Like many of her alt-comics contemporaries, Doucet eradicates any uppity delineation between art and comics." --Bust Magazine
Karen
The books is amazing in the graphics and dedication of the artist, but I found the story itself a bit dull. Characters and relationships are explored only on the surface. It left me wanting more depth.
Tamara
Jan 15, 2008 Tamara marked it as to-read
Mentioned in Entertainment Weekly, this could be the next Principles of Uncertainty. "...365 artworks by the Montreal-based creator. Each page contains prose and images summarizing her 24 hours."
Janelle
I love Dirty Plotte and I love Doucet, but this one was kind-of a letdown. I know the art is not supposed to be finessed since it's just diary entries, but, yeesh. 30 bucks down the ol' crapper.
Amy
i love julie doucet! this graphic journal shows what it's like to be a visual artist - sometimes mundane but always interesting. it also gives you a peek into what it's like to live in montreal.
Lisa
Had to get this one back to the library so I plowed through the end. What to say -- it's dense, full of good journaling, and if you're a fan of Julie Doucet (I am) it's a very good thing.
melissa
Julie Doucet is one of my favorite ever artists/comic artists. This is a really cool journal (in comic book form) of one year of her crazy, creative, hectic life.
Sheila
I love the way Julie has integrated artwork, text, and collage to document her daily activities. the artwork is wonderful
  • Make Me a Woman
  • A Child's Life and Other Stories
  • The Ticking
  • Need More Love
  • 32 Stories: The Complete Optic Nerve Mini-Comics
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • The Summer of Love
  • Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person: A Memoir in Comics
Underground cartoonist and artist, best known for her autobiographical works such as Dirty Plotte and My New York Diary.

She began cartooning in 1987. Her efforts quickly began to attract critical attention, and she won the 1991 Harvey Award for "Best New Talent".

Shortly thereafter, she moved to New York. Although she moved to Seattle the following year, her experiences in New York formed the basis
More about Julie Doucet...
My New York Diary My Most Secret Desire Lève ta jambe, mon poisson est mort! (Lift Your Leg, My Fish is Dead!) The Madame Paul Affair Long Time Relationship