Start by marking “The Alchemist's Pursuit (Venice, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist's Pursuit (Venice, #3)

The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Someone is murdering the courtesans of Venice, and legendary clairvoyant Nostradamus and his apprentice Alfeo must pursue a labyrinth of clues to find the killer.

Published (first published February 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist's Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist's Pursuit

Wm
This is the final volume of the alchemist's trilogy and I like it the best. And mainly because I think the mystery is the most interesting of the three and you get a healthy does of Violetta and Nostradamus (and little less politics and less truck with the supernatural). In addition I found the tarot readings and crystal ball gazing to be more natural and plot-driven (or driving?) this time too. And oddly enough (since usually things get ramped up in the final volume) there are no actual sex sce ...more
Hillary Douin
Good blend of humor, historical detail, and cleverly plotted mystery. Enjoyable characters that make you care about what happens to them.
John
The third book in the Alchemist series, continues this excellent historical mystery series. Ther book is set in a Venice of the late 15 hundreds. The protagonist, Alfeo, is an improverished noble man that is apprenticed to Nostradamus. Alfeo and his master are challenged to solve a murder that was committed eight years ago but some how ties into a recent series of murders of aging cortesans. A fun summer read.
Chanda
There isn't much to report here. This wasn't a bad story but it wasn't a great one either. It would probably be more engaging if you read the first two in the series but I'm not intrigued enough to seek them out. I paid $5 for it. It was worth $5, but no more.
D.w.
The conclusion of the trilogy, and perhaps the best yet. There are twists and turns, and a resolution to the mystery that you probably not see coming. With the elements there, it is hard to figure out yet Nostradamus and Alfeo do.

Along with their many acquaintances, and working with the structure of Venice, this historical mystery teaches us about renaissance Venice and is a lot of fun as well. One could not ask for better as a guide to the time and era.

All told, this little trilogy was very muc
Rik Scarborough
Excellent series

Probably my favorite series by one of my of favorite authors.This is the 3rd, and I think the best in the series. I recommend the books a great deal, and suggest starting at the beginning, but this one can be read alone.
Jessica
I could hardly put this down, I tore through it in only a few days. One morning I indulged in 3-4 hours of just reading, coffee, and quite solitude. It was bliss. I really enjoy the characters and setting. In this third installment of Duncan's series, courtesans are being murdered in Venice and Nostradamus and his apprentice Alfeo work quickly to find the killer before the next victim. The Alchemist books are delightful, well-written stories that are rich in flavor and historical setting. I prac ...more
Sean Randall
As well put-together as the rest of the series. Despite my repeated claims that this isn't Duncan's best, I was still compelled toward the end.
Deborah Ross
Effortless to read, full of color and texture (alternate Renaissance Venice), basically a mystery with way enjoyable scenery. For me, Duncan's work is a wonderful blend of experienced-pro skills and freshness of invention. Read his ILL MET IN THE ARENA awhile ago, also the two novels set in the hexagonal world. Antidote to boredom!
Katie
I've really enjoyed this trilogy, and I think that this perhaps has been my favorite. It's written in an parallel historical Venice where slight magic & witch craft can be done (although are more 'flavor' than integral parts of the story). I'm definitely going to be picking up more books by this author.
Xenophon Hendrix
This is yet another well written Dave Duncan novel. The third book in a series of historical mystery fantasies set in Venice, it has good characterization, wit, and some swashbuckling. The author should be far more popular than he is among readers of fantastic literature.
Patricia Eddy
I wanted to get through this book but I just couldn't. I think that the story was good, but there was just so much extra shoved into the book that seemed like history, random offshoots, and fluff. I made it about 30% through the book before just giving up.
Mf
Another good mystery set in classic Venice. This series doesn't really build on itself, though. That is the characters are good, but they don't evolve across the novels. The amount of mysticism is low, the history of venice is high, overall worth a read.
Dave Justus
This is the third of the Alchemist series, which stars Alfeo Zeno, the apprentice of Nostradamus in an alterate Venice where magic works. Really good so far and the other two were very good. Finished it now...the best of the series.
Veronica Sanche
The introduction was very weak with the protagonist behaving like a cocky inexperienced young man obsessed with his present occupation. Once the mystery portion began, things began to look up.
Still a somewhat confusing novel.
Joy
This seems to be open for future stories. Each can easily be read as a stand alone. More mystery than magic but the character is very likable with lots of funny 'gum-shoe' quips.
Cindy
I'm really sad to see this trilogy end. I like the characters and they are changing - I want to see what else happens to them!
Nancy K
Not as much magic as in the first and a definite tribute to Nero Wolf and Archie. Good well plotted mystery.
Emily
Ooh, I really liked this one. Third in a series which I recommend!
jane
This series kind of grows on you. I enjoy Dave Duncan's writing.
Valerie
The Venetian setting of these novels is captivating.
Cindy
I didn't like this one at all.
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
John Simpson
John Simpson is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2015
Suela
Suela is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2015
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • The Mark of the Cat
  • Police Your Planet
  • The Ganymede Club (Cold As Ice, #2)
  • Quincey Morris, Vampire
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • The Morgaine Saga (Morgaine & Vanye, #1-3)
  • A Midsummer Night's Steampunk
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • Transgressions
  • One Winter's Night: A Regency Yuletide Collection
  • The Broken Gun
  • The Accidental Apprentice (Accidental Magik, #1)
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • Limits of Power (Paladin's Legacy, #4)
  • Arms-Commander

The Alchemist (3 books)
  • The Alchemist's Apprentice (The Alchemist, #1)
  • The Alchemist's Code (The Alchemist, #2)
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3) The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)