Start by marking “Vintage Sacks” as Want to Read:
Vintage Sacks

Vintage Sacks

Vintage Readers are a perfect introduction to some of the great modern writers presented in attractive, accessible paperback editions.
"It is Dr. Sacks's gift that he has found a way to enlarge our experience and understanding of what the human is." --"The Wall Street Journal
"Dubbed "the poet laureate of medicine" by "The New York Times, " Oliver Sacks is a practicing neu
Published January 6th 2004 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Sacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Sacks

Ammar
Sep 07, 2015 Ammar rated it really liked it
An introduction into the fascinating world of Oliver Sacks. Segments from Uncle Tungsten. Awakenings and other books written by Sacks over a 35 years span.

It makes one more interested to venture into the world of Sacks and his patients.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Neurology is poetry. Memoir is science. Case study is narrative. Sacks is amazing. The story of the island of the colorblind was like reading Dr. Doolittle, but unlike Doolittle, Dr. Sacks is simply an observer whose own interactions have some impact, but it's the impact on Sacks himself that he writes about. He manages to turn a dozen or more other neurological conditions into marvelous short stories that just happen to be nonfiction, and then the slightly more academic essay on sign language a ...more
Chant
Jul 21, 2016 Chant rated it liked it
I'll preface my little comment about this book now. I bought this book for $2 just on name recognition, yesterday while at a used book store. I knew he was a neurologist, so that peaked my interest, because I have been on a binge on books on the philosophy of mind/consciousness and current research in neuroscience.

On the onset, I thought I would be getting more detailed explanations of neurological disorders and what not, but what I got was just stories of patients of his or people with neurolog
Mary Ann Saurino
Jul 10, 2008 Mary Ann Saurino rated it really liked it
I enjoy Sacks' work, and this is a fine overview that gives a sense of the tremendous range of his interests and expertise. It also gives a lovely sense of Sacks' humanity and compassion for individuals who somehow don't fit our "norms," and presents them to readers in ways that help us better understand ourselves.
Jen
Dec 19, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Brilliant! I loved Oliver Sacks during college and grad school, but other than articles and excerpts that appeared over the years, I hadn't read a complete book by him since — until I recently picked up Hallucinations, which made me hungry for more. I am so happy for my personal rediscovery and cannot wait to read the books I've missed since the 1990s!
Rebecca Blackson
Jun 14, 2010 Rebecca Blackson rated it really liked it
Absolutely fascinating! I really enjoyed this book — a smattering of chapters from this neurologists other books about fascinating subjects like the sleeping sickness, colorblindness, deafness, tourette's...really well-written too.
Shelley
Sep 14, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
A great collection of samples of his works that I found in the wake of his death. I particularly enjoyed the tales of his childhood, creating smoke and explosions in his home. What an incredible mind his parents allowed to develop.
Lee
Feb 07, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Found on the street in Brooklyn. Remembered enjoying his articles for The New Yorker, had always meant to read The Man Who Mistook his Wife for A Hat-- no excerpt from that in this, but I will have to pick up Awakenings at some point I think.
Hung-ya
Sep 08, 2015 Hung-ya rated it really liked it
This book is not a usual book a Oliver Sacks reader would pick up for first reading but it is not a bad one at all. Gives you enough of incentives to find out more about his works.
Anne Blocker
Anne Blocker rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2007
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Wolf
Wolf rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Arati
Arati rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Gabriella
Gabriella rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Kimberly Lucas
Kimberly Lucas rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Erman
Jul 08, 2016 Erman rated it really liked it
A great introduction to Sacks writing. I'm keen to read more. He has a great voice as an author.
Cathy I
Cathy I rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2015
Shmapty
Shmapty rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Helen Z
Helen Z rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2008
Barzan Abdulsalam
Barzan Abdulsalam rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Sarah Lorraine
Sarah Lorraine rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Aja Johnson
Aja Johnson rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2010
Michelle Shafran
Michelle Shafran rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Wing
Wing rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2015
James &
James & rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Faraebie
Faraebie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Best American Science Writing 2003
  • Fragile Beginnings: Discoveries And Triumphs In The Newborn ICU
  • Ordinary Medicine: Extraordinary Treatments, Longer Lives, and Where to Draw the Line
  • Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII
  • The Lonely Patient: How We Experience Illness
  • Opium: A History
  • Marketplace of the Marvelous: The Strange Origins of Modern Medicine
  • Our Kind of People: A Continent's Challenge, A Country's Hope
  • Extreme Medicine: How Exploration Transformed Medicine in the Twentieth Century
  • Less Medicine, More Health: 7 Assumptions That Drive Too Much Medical Care
  • The Conversation: A Revolutionary Plan for End-of-Life Care
  • Shocked: Adventures in Bringing Back the Recently Dead
  • Catastrophic Care: How American Health Care Killed My Father—and How We Can Fix It
  • Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • The Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl: How Two Brave Scientists Battled Typhus and Sabotaged the Nazis
  • Bad Faith: When Religious Belief Undermines Modern Medicine
  • Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery
Oliver Wolf Sacks, CBE, was a British neurologist residing in the United States, who has written popular books about his patients, the most famous of which is Awakenings, which was adapted into a film of the same name starring Robin Williams and Robert De Niro.

Sacks was the youngest of four children born to a prosperous North London Jewish couple: Sam, a physician, and Elsie, a surgeon. When he wa
More about Oliver Sacks...