Start by marking “Double the Ducks” as Want to Read:
Double the Ducks

Double the Ducks (MathStart Level 1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
It's hard work, taking care of 5 little ducks. But when each little duck comes home with a friend -- oh, no! Now it's double the ducks and double the work. How can 1 little boy get everything done?

Published December 24th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Double the Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double the Ducks

Stacey Hoffman
Double the Ducks by Stuart Murphy is a number book that is geared towards first graders.

Doubling Ducks focuses on doubling numbers. A boy has five ducks that he cares for. The boy uses his two hands to feed them three sackes of food each day and give them shelter with four bundles of hay. The five ducks went for a walk but each brought back a friend with them. That means the boy has double the work and needs double the food (six sacks), double the hay (8 bundles), and an extra set of hands (4 ha
Lbrown107
Apr 17, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
This book focuses on doubling numbers/ adding a number to itself in a fun way. There are games available in the back of the book that would give you an idea of how to play double games.
Once the number of ducks are doubled, the boy must double the number of hay and food needed. This story could be a nice introduction to fraction concepts as well. Students could understand that for every 5 ducks, one boy is needed to take care of them. So what if there were 10 ducks/the ducks were doubled? 5 duck
Scott Roark
Use this book to reinforce the introduction of doubling a number for a math lesson. A great activity would be to have students recreate the story using objects from the classroom, this would allow students practice in doubling a number. Students could also use dominoes to practice picking out the doubles. Concentration is another activity that would allow students to pick out doubles. A twist to concentration would be to have a child make a pair, such as 5 and 5, then make them also find the sum ...more
Daleine
Aug 13, 2015 Daleine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great numbers book that introduces doubles
Chelsea Ulrich
Jun 06, 2011 Chelsea Ulrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book would be helpful in showing how to double numbers under 10. It would be fun to do this with students who are just learning about addition and subtraction as they could try some invented strategies of their own as the farmer needs double the items for double the ducks that he has. Also, the word doubling can be hard for kids to understand but using this book could help them visually understand how the number of ducks changed. I could see using this book with manipulatives and allowing s ...more
Linh Tong
Nov 21, 2012 Linh Tong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will let students play a game to help them understand the concept of doubling a number. I will say a doubled number, and the students will guess what the original number was. For example, I will say the number is 10, so students should say 5. For students that need extra help, I will provide them with manipulatives such as blocks, snapping cubes, pennies, or buttons. They will take out ten objects and will divide objects into two groups. They will understand the concepts of doubling a number. ...more
Shani Cooper
Double the Ducks is a good introduction to the concept of doubles for children. Two is the equivalent of one doubled and the doubles pattern can be identified as a child counts up. A teacher could instruct their students to play Double Me following the story. Double Me is a game I was introduced to by my professor, Dr. Smith. Each student takes turns rolling a number dice. The students double the number they rolled and cover that number on their board. The winner is the first student to cover th ...more
Seth Lebaron
Dec 03, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I would read this boook to students and then have use dominos to see what doubles kind of looks likes. I like the game my teacher plays with the students when waiting in the hallway during a bathroom break. She calls out a number and then the students have to quickly give what number is doubled. In under one week the students are already movign past teh number 30.
Michelle
Mar 15, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, math
One little girl is taking care of four ducks on the farm, but now each of them brings a friend with them. There is double the ducks and double the work.
This books can be used to introduce doubling numbers to students. The illustrations help the students understand it better. Students can follow along with their own items to double while the book is being read.
Julia B
Jun 24, 2011 Julia B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
This book would be good for 1st or 2nd grade to practice making doubles. While the teacher reads the story aloud, the students can have manipulatives and practice making doubles based on the story. The story could be extended into a center where students pull a number card and then practice making that double.
Maxwoodliff
Jul 19, 2012 Maxwoodliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Double the ducks starts out with initial counting and then moves onto doubling those numbers. I would use this book to explain basic multiplication to my students. It would provide good examples for my students to do the math problems as a group and discuss the results that they find.
Deana Pittman
Feb 03, 2013 Deana Pittman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the actual story in this book is a little lacking...very little in the way of plot. It was a cute concept and a wonderful way to introduce and practice the concept of doubles! Abbi made number sentences from each scenario in the book.
Nicole
Apr 10, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Double the ducks means double the work. In this book the little girl on the farm encounters doubles. This is a great book for X2, with great illustrations to help solidify the multilpicaion concepts for young minds.

Ages 4-7.
Allison Burke
This is a great book when teaching about doubling numbers. It provides pictures that show how many ducks there are each time they are doubled. This could also be a great book for introducing x2 and multiplication. Grades 1-3
Gina Starling
Feb 08, 2012 Gina Starling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece3601, math
PK-2

Understanding how to double numbers helps children master both addition and multiplication. Fun, friendship, and lots of ducks make learning this essential skill both easy and entertaining.
Joe
Feb 11, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to introduce the concept of doubling to kids. There are wonderful extension activities listed at the end of the book to pursue with children to further explore the idea of doubles.
Brittany N
Apr 14, 2012 Brittany N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book is great for a lesson on doubling. It could be incorporated into both addition and multiplication. The characters are ducks so they could help keep childrens' interests.
Thao
Apr 11, 2013 Thao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, math

- In this book, the math concept is doubling numbers.
- The illustrations help the student to understand and grasp the concept better.
- Grades 1-3
Kelly Morgan
Dec 02, 2012 Kelly Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book would be great introduce doubling. I would have students create their own math problems using objects in the class.
bernadette
Nice counting book with cute illustrations and which also introduces the idea of doubling numbers. Toddler loves it.
Lisa
May 28, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic introduction to simple multiplication for kids. Very cute!
Haley Sterritt
This little book can be used to introduce doubling numbers and multiplication.
Natalie
Jan 10, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series of math concept books. They're cute and fun and well done.
Teri
Apr 11, 2012 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Good enough for a math based picture book--but not great. . .
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Denise Owens
Denise Owens marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 1 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Pair of Socks
  • Henry the Fourth
  • Missing Mittens (Mathstart: Level 1)
  • Just Enough Carrots
  • Seaweed Soup
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
  • Monster Musical Chairs