Start by marking “Mouse Guard: Winter 1152” as Want to Read:
Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  6,048 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
In the Winter of 1152, the Mouse Guard face a food and supply shortage threatening the lives of many a mouse through a cold and icy season. Some of the Guard's finest traverse the snow-blanketed territories acting as diplomats to improve relations between the mouse cities and the Guard, and find themselves on a race against time.
Published September 1st 2009 by Titan Books (UK) (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Guard

Patrick
Sep 26, 2016 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I liked about the first book is continued here, with two added elements besides.

1. Of all the elements in these books, the characterization is probably the weakest. It's just not the focus of the story. However, in this second book, we get to know the characters *much* better, and it added a lot for me.

2. Even better, we get to see more of the world of the mice. We meet the hares and see the relationship with the mice. We see a city that used to be occupied by the ferrets, (we haven'
Daniel
Dec 13, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Opasnost raste, niko nije siguran. Cak je i vreme protiv svih. Prica se fino nastavlja i ovog puta imamo dogadjaje koji nisu bili ociti. Crtez je i dalje predivan i jako mi se svidja lokacije misijih gradova i kako je fino ukomponovano ponasanje pravih zivuljki.

5+ :)
Christopher
As a special reward for May, we bought her the second Mouse Guard. I was a little frustrated to learn a) it hasn't come out in soft-cover yet and b) Volume 3 iss only barely beginning to come out in issues!

My daughter is obsessed. She is going to dress as Gwendolyn for Halloween this year. Her drawing quality took a giant leap when she started drawing guardsmice. She writes her own comics (2-3 panels of mice facing off aginst bullfrogs and the like).

This volume doesn't have quite the epic-span f
Seth T.
Oct 28, 2009 Seth T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
In Winter 1152, David Petersen continues his tale of mouse intrigue, glory, and honour apace. Rather than having the squashed rebellion of Fall 1152 simply fade into memory as a one-off plot to give the first volume some heft, we see that these things have lasting consequences and that the flames that leapt up in open rebellion still smoulder in traitorous saboutage.

This volumes lays more foundation for upcoming books as Petersen explores not just the relationships between the guardsmice, but i
Andrew
May 14, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-comics-alt
Reread this one today. I have mixed feelings. The story was fun and I think the art works perfectly to illustrate this world. But I found the book fitted bogged down with exposition. I really didn't care about the complex relationships and when one character was talking about another character I had very little idea who they were actually talking about (this may be due to Peterson, but I'm willing to accept that I just wasn't paying attention - but out of a lack of interest).
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
A dark story with exquisite artwork (and the occasional piece of terrible poetry).
Jeff Lanter
Aaron
Oct 29, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more grounded story than the first Mouse Guard volume. Instead of an epic, sweeping tale with no time to develop most of its components, we get a much smaller story of the Guard just trying to make it back to their home with supplies. This makes for a far more enjoyable read, as it doesn't take huge leaps forward in story, instead staying very close to our main heroes as they battle their way back to Lockhaven.

That said, I still find the series a little silly at times. It takes itself so
Thurston Hunger
As mentioned in my Spring 1152 review, we accidentally read this one first, and it was tougher to comprehend lacking the back story. But this journey story, visiting the Weasely underworld and a nice macabre interaction with bats that for my young darklings was much enjoyed.

Speaking of bats, there is sort of a legendary mouse named the Black Axe who your kids will likely love as mine did, but his arc has perhaps a tragic tinge to it, so be forewarned with more sensitive young ones. As this is mi
Rick Silva
Jan 18, 2014 Rick Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With supplies depleted as winter approaches, the guardmice send messengers to the nearby towns to request needed supplies and to invite the leaders to a summit to find common solutions to the threats facing the mice. David Petersen envisions a medieval-style society made up of mice and the warrior-mice who serve as their protectors.

While one group is split up as they struggle to make it home, treachery lurks in the halls of Lockhaven.

This was my first introduction to Mouse Guard, aside from a co
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up
Three and a half stars. The illustrations in this sequel are still gorgeous, and after mentioning Dinotopia in my review of the first book, I was tickled to see this Foreword by James Gurney. He writes, "With impeccable taste Petersen chooses dramatic camera angles and striking compositions, not merely to tell the story, but to expand the world. The colors transition from golden firelight to pale blue moonlight." I guarantee the constant snowfall in this book will make you feel cold.

However, the
Hyathin
Jan 07, 2014 Hyathin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Better than MG: Fall, so if you liked that one at all, pick this up. The art is great, as before, though I completely disagree with the choice of using all caps for all of the mouse dialogue (different kinds of animals actually use different lettering styles). But that is really my only complaint. The story kept me engaged the entire time, and I found the winter season to be most enjoyable for Mouse Guard. Winter is just the most mysterious and magical of seasons, IMO. It was great, too, to lear ...more
Jim
Jul 01, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is really easy to fall in love with the merry band of mouseketeers. . . no, not the Disney ones. . .as they go off on a quest in the dead of winter to gather supplies and alliances in response to recent internal tumults and betrayals. Although the plot is not too taxing, or even that original it seems, the artwork is wonderful, almost enchanting I would say. You do get some character development and they square off against natural pitfalls and mortal natural enemies, but they are adorable eve ...more
Ghostcat
Just after reading the first volume (Autumn 1152) I started this one, and I think I liked the story a little bit more. Some scenes are quite fascinating and intense, but a little bit frustrating too, as they references to an era that we will not see and that looked so interesting. I managed to attach myself to some characters in this one and the plot was deeper. I'd love to read a third one if it goes better again.
Trae Stratton
The cinematic paneling and storytelling that started in "Fall" continues here in "Winter" making this a joy to read. I enjoy recharging my batteries between longer novels with graphic novels and this one was perfectly suited to the task. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jonathan Lupa
Apr 29, 2014 Jonathan Lupa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These turned out to be very beautiful graphic novels, and scale well to different readers ages.
Matt Piechocinski
I have trouble distinguishing between the mice. However, I do like Lieam, and thought it was pretty cool when he took up the mantle of the Black Axe. I also think it's a good comic for kids.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
I really hope I can get my hands on the rest of these. The art is amazing and the story is really good, too.
Felipe
Mar 11, 2013 Felipe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It matters not what you fight but what you fight for"
Dan
May 15, 2016 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I talk about this book here - https://youtu.be/mJqgwgDPCuE
Melissa
These poor mice! Their lives are so tough, but they are so, so cute.
Ruth
Aug 31, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent second book in the series. I loved the expansion of the Black Axe storyline and am looking forward to the rest of the series.
Naomi
Oct 12, 2009 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 is possibly more beautiful than V.1. There is continuing intrigue amongst the mice, further mysteries and additional character development. And, a battle with a horned owl!
D.K. Brantley
Jul 14, 2016 D.K. Brantley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one from Petersen.
Camilo Guerra
Feb 15, 2017 Camilo Guerra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Yo lei Mice Templar y creí que esta era muy parecida, por no decir igual, peor le di una oportunida dy no me arrepnti para nada, disfrute cada pagina, cada dialogo y quede con ganas de muchisimo mas.La historia tiene poca magia, aunque hay un ambiente épico que toma tu, Juego de Tronos, sus heroes son duros, valientes, apasionados y misteriosos, sus batallas dan miedo y sientes que estos pobres ratones pueden irse al otro barrio en cualquier momento y si,así pasa. E arte es una delicia, aunque e ...more
Jason
May 14, 2017 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I have become obsessed over these little mice.

I re-read Fall 1152 so I would remember all that happened, which I believe helped me enjoy this volume all that much more.

Even though I still feel that parts of the story are left out in order to show off the amazing artwork, I believe it worked better in the second volume.
Fantasy  Svet
Dec 09, 2016 Fantasy Svet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Myší hlídka: Zima 1152

Len malé množstvo komiksových autorov vám ponúka súzvuk estetiky, symboliky, zmyselnosti hravých tónov či živého predstavenia. A iba istý počet grafických románov vás dokáže očariť prirodzene svižnou charakteristikou, citlivým zafarbením výrazových prostriedkov i jazykovým zbližovaním sa. David Petersen, autor fantastickej komiksovej ságy nielen pre deti, to dokázal hneď dva razy za sebou.

Osud Myšej hliadky sa začal písať v dávnych dobách. A hoci sa veľké skutky malých hrdi
Lauri
Jun 15, 2017 Lauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiirtefantasy. Ehk siis hiired pseudokeskaegses maailmas, võitlemas nirkide ja öökullide vastu, mõõkade ja kirvestega, oma puu sisse ehitatud kindlustest. Iseenesest päris lahe.
Adam Šilhan
Jun 19, 2017 Adam Šilhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myši dozrávají a stávají se hodné pozornosti i dospělejšího publika. Postavy jsou živější, Peterson postupně obohacuje historii hlídky a nesnaží se tolik o vyprávění epického příběhu.
Jasmine
May 14, 2017 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meglio del primo! 😍
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 4: The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy (Usagi Yojimbo, #4)
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales (Owly, #5)
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 1: The Dark (The Stuff of Legend, #1)
  • Rose (Bone, #0)
Note: There are more than one David Petersen on GR's database. For catch-all profile, see here (dissambiguated via 10 spaces).

David Petersen was born in 1977. His artistic career soon followed. A steady diet of cartoons, comics, and tree climbing fed his imagination and is what still inspires his work today. David won the 2007 Russ Manning Award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2008, David won the
More about David Petersen...

Mouse Guard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mouse Guard: The Black Axe (Mouse Guard, #0.5)
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 3
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • Mouse Guard: Spring 1153
  • Mouse Guard: The Tale of the Wise Weaver
  • Mouse Guard, Labyrinth and Other Stories (Free Comic Book Day 2012)
  • Mouse Guard and Rust

“You should always aim to be your own mouse, Lieam. In fact...you already are. You are not so quick to jump into danger as Saxon and not as pensive of mind as Kenzie. They rely on each other too much. Saxon knows he can afford to be reckless since Kenzie acts as his conscience. And Kenzie can linger in his thoughts and plans, because he knows Saxon can defend him. I tested Kenzie earlier. I wanted to see if he would be swayed by my advice. It took Saxon's coaxing to make up the greyfur's mind. Be compleete with in yourself young redfur...you will never disappoint. Even in solitude.” 9 likes