Start by marking “Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)” as Want to Read:
Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)

Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,786 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
I'm Jaz Parks. CIA assassin. Black belt. Belly dancer at the Corpus Christi Winter Festival. The last is cover for my latest mission: retrieve a vital piece of biotechnology by killing the maniac who stole it. He's Chien-Lung, an obsessive vamp who's invulnerable while wearing his armor - which is constantly.

Then there are the reavers, ancient fiends who murder innocents a
Published August 3rd 2009 by Orbit (first published December 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Another One Bites the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another One Bites the Dust

AH
Imagine a government team of assassins made up of a vampire, a sensitive, a psychic, a gadget guru and an ex private investigator. Put these characters (and they are characters) together and you have Jaz Park’s team in Another One Bites the Dust. Jaz’s crew must find Chien Lung a vampire that has stolen a prototype Dragon Armor. They also have to dodge a few reavers – paranormal creatures that steal souls, and a few rednecks – humans that hate others.

Set in Corpus Christi during the Winter Festi
Seth
Dec 23, 2007 Seth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't really any worse than you'd expect, but it doesn't fulfill the promise of the first book, Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Once Bitten took what seemed to be a formula repackaging of the "modern vampire action tale (female protagonist variant)" and move it into some interesting places. In particular, the heroine (a non-vampire sidekick to a vampire assassin, both working for the CIA) discovering she is a revenant, a spirit brought back from the dead to fight evil. In this case, evil vampir
The Flooze
I didn't like the first book of this series, but nowadays so many authors seem to flub their first books that I decided to give Another One Bites the Dust a try.

The overuse of simile is irritating. The plot consists of a lot of childish antics and Jaz getting injured. But once the action and fighting begins, Rardin's writing becomes more focused. Her skills lie in the panic of those final moments, making you forgive (somewhat) her lackluster set-up.

My main issue with this series remains true:
Archer
Dec 10, 2010 Archer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Summary (from back cover):

I’m Jaz Parks. CIA assassin. Black Belt. Belly dancer at the Corpus Christi Winter Festival. The last is cover for my latest mission: retrieve a vital piece of biotechnology by killing the maniac who stole it. The thief is not your run-of-the-mill nut job, either. He’s Chien-Lung, an obsessive vamp who’s invulnerable while wearing his armour – which is constantly.

Then there are the reavers, ancient fiends who murder innocents and eat their souls. Only I can sense them.
Steph
Another One Bites the Dust is the 2nd book in the Jaz Parks series, so some series spoilers may exist.

Reading Order:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2) by Jennifer Rardin

In Another One Bites the Dust Jaz and Vayl's mission is to find Bergman's super snazzy protective armour that's been stolen by the Chinese Vamps. They go undercover at the Winter Festival as performers, Jaz is a belly dancer and Vayl is the muscle man. Jaz continues to have blackouts, but this time around they are a bit more worrisome.

While I enjoyed the first book in late
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I'm working my way through this series, and having enjoyed the first book, Once Bitten, Twice Shy, I thought Another One Bites the Dust was equally as fun and easy to read. Jaz and Vayl, along with Cole, Cassandra and Bergen, are on a mission to prevent Chien-Lung, and insane Chinese Vampire, from creating an international incident at the Corpus Christi Winter Festival. Chien-Lung is near invincible, having stolen Bergen's invention, an armour that binds with it's wearer on a cellular level, and ...more
Julia
Nov 11, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Another One Bites the Dust" is the second book in Jennifer Rardin's series on Jaz Parks- an assassin. This book was even better than the first, it really made me laugh. I love how the 'crew' interacts with each other... just like a dysfunctional family. I'm not sure if I have a strange sense of humor or this book really was as humorous as I think it was.. Ah, who cares, I REALLY enjoyed myself. =) If you haven't started reading this series yet, read my review of the first book here.

I loved the
Tez
May 13, 2008 Tez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Jan 08, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
While this book didn't have the immediacy and drama of the first book, it was still fun to read. The characters were fleshed out a bit more (so to speak), and the tension between Jaz and Vayl took a step forward (finally!)

In this book, Jaz and Vayl are sent against a Chinese killer wearing dragon scale armor that Bergman built. They have to get the armor back, and foil the latest plot to take over the world. In the meantime, Bergman and Cassandra aren't getting along, and Cassandra's getting vis
Colliding Worlds
Gelesen: 2010 / Reread: 2016
Einer der besten Bände der Reihe, wenn nicht DER Beste. Ich liebe das Setting und die viele Interaktion im Team, die durch das enge Beieinandersein im Wohnwagen und auf dem Festgelände entsteht. Jaz bringt mit ihren Problemen einen ordentlichen Schuss Dramatik und ihr Humor ist in diesem Band besonders bissig, makaber und zum Lachen. Mir fällt erst jetzt beim rereaden auf, wie langsam, kontinuierlich und dabei authentisch die Beziehung zwischen ihr und Vayl wächst. In
Sandra
Apr 18, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 2 in the Jaz Parks series.

CIA Pete has called the gang together to recover Bergman's dragon armour, that was being tested at a US military installation. It is an old vampire, Chien Lung who has taken it as he is obsessed with becoming a dragon. He's as nutty as a fruitcake but that just makes him more dangerous.

Lung has a couple of Vampires and Reavers to assist him in his quest to start a Chinese/American war, which is Edward Samos's (the Raptor) plan. Jaz is the only one who can see the
Kati
As much as I like Jaz, Vayl, Cassandra, Cole and Bergman (hello, Rodney McKay!) this story really didn't hold my interest. Yes, the writing was funny and Jaz's quips hilarious, the story nevertheless dragged in places. Also, the whole body-armor thingy that Lung stole, well, it seemed a bit over the top. I don't know, I just didn't find it all that interesting. The saving grace of this book are the lovable characters, that's for sure. They behave like one big family, though the jealousy between ...more
Rachel C.
And I loved it as much as the first one. (view spoiler) Can't wait to start the next one!
Quietgirl255
Sep 05, 2015 Quietgirl255 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as much as I loved the first in the series. Jaz and her team are back and this time need to take out a Chinese group who managed to steal one of Bergman's inventions and want to use it to help take over the whole world ( both this one and the supernatural of course).

It is fast paced writing and this book really examined more of the interactions between the team, the romantic tension between Jaz and Vayl, The tension between man of science Bergman and seer Cassandra, and how Co
Yodamom
Jun 18, 2010 Yodamom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Urban Fantasy at it's best. Vayl and Jaz team up with Cassandra psychic and Cole a sensitive. The hunt for Santos leads them to Corpus Christi Texas at a Winter festival where Jaz serves Vayl a sexy belly dance. Jaz struggles with nightmares trying to recover from her love loss. Feeling are sparking on the sidelines between Jaz and Vayl, as is power developed from their union. Excellent action and character development.I could not set this book down.
Anne
Jan 25, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series. I honestly think Jaz is the funniest heroine I've run across in an urban fantasy setting. The plot can seem a bit overwhelming at times, almost like there are too many different things going on to figure out what is important. It's still a very good story, though. I would recommend this series to anyone who likes lots of action and very little romance.
Jim
It was OK, but a little too much 'action chick' with an obvious plot & a heroine who made too many of her own problems. It wasn't quite as good as the first book, which was only 'ok', IMO, so this is it for the series for me. My daughter really likes it, so maybe it is my older, male perspective that harms the book in my eyes.
Mandi Kahles
Jan 25, 2009 Mandi Kahles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This author's style is not really my thing. Too many fantastical characters in addition to the vampires for me to truly believe in the world of the book.
Sammi
Jun 13, 2015 Sammi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book of the series, the pair has taken everyone who helped them previously with them on a mission to take out an insane Japanese vampire who stole a top secret armor in order to help him become a dragon. Jaz learns that she is the only person who can discern the demons, reavers, under their disguise as well as how to kill them. Vayl's interest ion Jaz becomes even more pronounced in this book as he assigns her the undercover task of a belly dancer and expresses acute jealousy over ...more
Allison
May 26, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first. Lots of sarcasm and wit, and plain old ass kicking. Nice!
Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog)
Read more reviews like this at http://lovelybooksblog.blogspot.com!

I had liked the first book in the Jaz Parks series; it was fun, it was entertaining, and it had a good plot. Solidly a four star novel I was excited to read the next one but I wasn’t necessarily jumping out of my seat in excitement. When I got my hands on Another One Bites the Dust I was expecting another great read, but still a four star one. However, about half way through when I found myself desperate to keep reading even thou
Natalie
Apr 13, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the second in the Jaz Parks series, after Once Bitten, Twice Shy, has the same punchy humor and action as the first book. While Jaz's abilities have to develop and expand in this book, all it seems to do is make her more clumsy and likely to hurt herself.

While this story isn't something a die-hard vampire fan should probably pick up, it definitely has its moments as an action-packed book with a gutsy heroine and a motley crew of sidekicks - who aren't always left on the sidelines.
Larissa
May 18, 2010 Larissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series Rating: 4 out of 5 starts!
This is a Series Review:

A kick-ass heroine, a hot vampire boss, quirky and fun sidekicks and a lot of action and adventure… What else can you ask of an Urban Fantasy series? The Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin definitely has all that and so much more.

Jaz is an assassin’s assistant for the CIA. She works for Vayl, a Vampire who was killed by his Vampire wife almost 300 years ago. From the start we get to see that they have a great working relationship that has
Nada
I have finished second book in Jaz Parks series and I loved it, not as much as the first one but it was still very good.

Second book, like first, was action packed and there was never a boring moment. There are all kinds of supernatural creatures, intriguing plot and some super advanced technology, quite a few funny moments.

Plot line is somewhat similar to the first book. There is a bad guy(s) that need to be taken out and Jaz and her team are called in to do the job and along they encounter fe
Amy A
Sep 04, 2011 Amy A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaz-parks-series
I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one. I think because I am used to the characters now. Jaz is a very quirky character and oftentimes she goes on tangents. It took through the first book to get used to it, but now that I am I appreciate the type of character Jaz is.

I like the whole "team" setup in this book. In the first one it started out with just Jaz and Vayl and along the way they picked up Cole, Cassandra, and Bergman. They all are on board this time around as well. They all ha
Khalia Hades
Aug 08, 2011 Khalia Hades rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Jaz and Vayl's latest mission finds them pursuing stolen biotechnology, and saving the world...again. :) Also along for the ride are Cole, Bergman and Cassandra. The group goes undercover at the Corpus Christi Winter festival - fighting reavers, human extremists and dragons. Jaz is still dealing with her unresolved issues and once more the ultimate villain (Samos) proves to be elusive.

The thing I adore about this series is the relationship between Jaz and Vayl. They have great chemistry together
jD
I don't know why I keep reading this series. I am not feeling it at all but something makes me come back. It is never a good sign for me to spend two weeks reading a book. Jaz is the main character and she works with a vamp named Vald or something like that. She also has an assortment of three other team members that round out the cast. they are all CIA in a post paranormal out-of-the-closet world. The story is told in first person so we spend way too much time with her skipping out of conversat ...more
Kt
Mar 07, 2011 Kt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcopy
Jaz is used to playing undercover roles for her assassination missions, and typically doesn't mind. However, when she finds out her latest cover is a belly dancer, she is less than thrilled. Like it or not, she has no choice as their target is a crazy vamp that has stolen a very important piece of technology, a suit that makes the wearer all but invincible. Add into the mix some soul stealing reavers and dreams that can kill. Literally. The good thing is that Jaz can sense and destroy them. The ...more
chucklesthescot
Jaz and the team are working undercover at a festival, keeping an eye on a Chinese circus act with very dangerous vampires. Chien-Lung has stolen a biotech armour prototype designed by Bergman which leaves the wearer invincible, and they must get it back. But Jaz is having her own problems with jealous men, disorientating dangerous hallucinations when she tries to sleep, and has to fight a deadly new enemy in the soul eating Reavers.

I like Jaz because she is feisty but still has flaws that you
Vannessa
Jun 27, 2012 Vannessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this series was as good as the first!

Jaz, Vayl, Cassandra, Bergman and a new member of the crew, Cole, are on a new mission to rescue one of Bergman's inventions that has been stolen by a crazy Chinese vampire, who believes he can take over the world. Bergman's invention was highly top secret, not yet fully explored as to what it can do, but what is already known about it is pretty scary. It's a body armour of sorts, but one with powers beyond even Bergman's highest dreams.

Th
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Pray for Dawn (Dark Days, #4)
  • Blood Secrets (Alexandra Sabian, #2)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • Wicked Game (WVMP Radio, #1)
  • Green-Eyed Demon (Sabina Kane, #3)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • Blood Bargain (Blood Lines, #2)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2)
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
I’ve spent all my life in the Midwest, which has certainly shaped my perspective on all kinds of issues, from the question of whether or not we really have an accent, to the many and varied uses of corn.

I was born in Evansville, Indiana on April 28, 1965. Mom tells me almost every year what crappy weather it was that day. However I like to think of my birthday as the first frost-free date for my p
More about Jennifer Rardin...

Jaz Parks (8 books)
  • Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6)
  • Bitten in Two (Jaz Parks, #7)
  • The Deadliest Bite (Jaz Parks, #8)

“Excellent."
As soon as Bergman left earshot Vayl said, "I am going to buy you some pom-poms and a short pleated skirt-"
Hey, if Bergman needs a cheerleard, that's what he's getting."
Vayl tipped his head to one side and smiled wickedly. "I was just thinking perhaps I need a cheerleader as well."
Cassandra got up. "If that's where this conversation is headed, I'm leaving."
She wants some pom-poms too," I told Vayl.
I do not!”
48 likes
“I can't belly dance.'

Yes, you can. It's in your fi--'

Will you stop reading my goddamn file!”
47 likes