Start by marking “Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)

Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,151 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Lady Grace, youngest Maid to Queen Elizabeth I and secret “Lady Pursuivant” narrates in her daybook life as a stowaway. Lady Sarah, lady-in-waiting known for fancy clothes and hoity-toity attitude, is feared kidnapped by dashing Captain Drake. Despite her hard feelings, Grace and pal Masou dare the high seas.
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

An Odd1
Feb 20, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
I'm hooked. Grace has fun. Her diary "Dayebooks" go the extra mile in smaller size with scratchy quill font phrases. Titles are single word plot summaries.

Since I was mistaken for a boy even as a long-haired blonde teen, I enjoy stories where such mis-identification is sought on purpose, and leads to adventure. One, rather long and complicated, is Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... . Scott Westerfeld's steampunk Leviathan series may be preferable https
Audra
Jun 25, 2013 Audra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was Awesome!!!!!! I love the time era and how it fits into the mysteries
Lucy Harding
Sep 25, 2014 Lucy Harding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. I decided to read it because it was a mystery book and it was related to England history, and I don’t know much about history so I thought it might tell me a bit.

2. I found the character Queen Elizabeth interesting. Queen Elizabeth is the queen of England and she is quite close with Grace (the main character). I found her interesting because even though she was the queen and everyone assumed that she acted like a normal royal person, she knew that Grace was sneaking out and she didn’t tell an
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Lady Grace Mysteries series, about Lady Grace Cavendish, a thirteen-year-old Maid of Honour at the court of Queen Elizabeth I.

When Lady Sarah, a fellow Maid of Honor to Queen Elizabeth I, disappears, apparently having eloped with the dashing young Captain Drake, thirteen-year-old Lady Grace Cavendish takes it upon herself to discover the truth of Lady Sarah's whereabouts. Her discoveries lead her to believe that rather than leaving of her own free will, Lady Sarah
B
Oct 14, 2008 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd in the Grace Cavendish mysteries for kids. This time, Grace, a lady in waiting to Queen Elizabeth attempts to rescue the kidnapped Sarah, another lady in waiting. She ends up on Francis Drake's vessel as a boy. Exciting, full of historical detail. Resourceful 13 year old.
Small Review
Read pretty young, took a while to get going, and the big problem was pretty simple. Great for MG target age group.
Toughlove
Oct 09, 2007 Toughlove rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
The book Betrayal by Grace Cavendish is one book in the Lady Grace Mysteries. The main characters in the book are Grace, Sarah, and Mary. They are all Maid of Honors to the Queen Elizabeth, and stay in the palace with the queen. The story is written as Graces day booke, in 1569, in Greenwich, England. It starts off a little boring, but then when Lady Sarah meets Captain Drake, they start to flirt and like each other. When Captain Drake is going to take off, everyone realizes that Sarah isn’t ar ...more
Sandra Strange
If you need a historical novel that teaches about the court and times of Queen Elizabeth I, this series will provide you with delightful reading, purportedly from the “daybook” of Lady Grace Cavendish, 13-year-old (at the beginning of the series) maid of honor to the queen. This plucky modern-seeming heiress, orphaned and raised in the court, along with her friends, a young court acrobat/juggler and one of the laundry girls, investigate mysteries to aid their monarch, reveal the villains, and ai ...more
Lady Entropy
The mystery this time around wasn't as interesting as the previous, but seeing I read the third book already, I know the author gets better and better at it, so I look forward to the next volumes.

This time around, they're on a ship, trying to find what happened to Lady Sarah. It ends up being less a mystery and more an adventure, but I still liked the care and work that went into crafting both the adventures and giving information about Francis Drake and life aboard a ship.

Still, I think I can r
Nian Henderson
Nov 03, 2014 Nian Henderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-12
Recommended to Nian by: me
Shelves: ive-read
I love this book if you think old books are boring you have another thing coming. When you read this book you will be taken on a adventure so exciting that you'll take back every bad word you've said about this book. Its kind of like a different form of Mulan the best book in the series and in my world the best book in the world.
Boo A-c
Jul 17, 2014 Boo A-c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. Fun and entertaining. Grace is an amazing character who is ingenious, clever and entertaining.
For Fans of: female detectives, Period pieces, adventure
What Next: Kitty Peck and The Music Hall Murders, The Sally Lockhart Mysteries, The Sisters 8 books.
Jennie
Aug 07, 2007 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Sarah has run off and eloped with a sea captain! But when Lady Grace looks at the letter Sarah left behind, she knows it isn’t in Sarah’s handwriting. Maybe she really didn’t run away. Maybe she was kidnaped. Maybe she was kidnaped by pirates! In order to rescue her, Grace cuts off all her hair and dresses like a boy to explore Francis Drake’s ship with Massou. But then, the boat launches and Grace and Massou are trapped at sea and their ship is going into battle! Will Grace ever get back t ...more
Alison Dellit
Feb 21, 2015 Alison Dellit rated it it was amazing
The least believable of the Lady Grace Cavendish mysteries, this one is absolutely the most fun. The more ludicrous it gets, the more delightful the writing and the more suited to its audience. Seriously, just good stuff.
Alice Foster
Jun 25, 2014 Alice Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book and the rest of the series! they entranced my young mind and the story of these mysteries in Elizabethan England is exiting and adds a bit of interesting history to the book.
Sarah Richards
This series of books is very cleverly constructed. The titles progress by the letters of the alphabet as well as by theme. Another feature i found fantastic and have noted in a few other books is the glossary at the end of each book. I think this is a great way for a book to be educational and entertaining. I cannot recall how many times I question what a word means and then never get around to looking it up. Whereas, these books are classified as children's literature, I found them to be very e ...more
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The front cover enticed me
Shelves: childrens
Again, I felt fairly neutral over this book. I felt the story-line was better in the previous book, yet found this one better written and included more.

The mystery was a fun follow, especially as it turns from elopment to abduction! It just lacked the energy and was a bit of a tedious read. I loved the characters and their relationships, and that was what kept me going in this series.

I felt it was a bit of a lame story and that Grace was quite crazy to cut of all her hair just to search for a f
Nigel
Apr 22, 2016 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A thrilling adventure set in the Elizabethan Court, with Lady Grace Cavendish, one of the Queen's Maids of Honour, caught up in a turbulent episode when one of her fellow Ladies becomes inappropriately involved with a certain Captain Drake, and then vanishes. Can Grace rescue the missing girl with her honour intact without getting blown up at sea or, worse, rising the wrath of the Queen? Fast-paced and inventive, this packs a lot into its short length. Finney is utterly at home in the world of E ...more
Dian Martin
Sep 05, 2014 Dian Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the adventure in these books. A great heroine.
Jeff
Apr 15, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical mystery set in Queen Elizabeth I's court.
Lady Knight
I love the Grace Cavendish mysteries! They may be children's books, but they are well written, have likeable characters, and decent plots. I would highly recommend them to any child fan of mysteries or even those older who aren't too proud to be caught reading a children's book!

Grace is quite happy being a maid of honour to Elizabeth I, but she longs to fulfill her role as Lady Pursuivant! So when it appears that Lady Sarah has gotten herself kidnapped by the dastardly Captain Drake, she and Mas
Ava
Feb 14, 2015 Ava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really awsome.
Heidi
Jun 10, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is the second book in the excellent young adult, historical fiction, mystery series that is really written by Patricia Finney. Finney puts together the excellent historical research she uses for her adult books and makes a wonderful entry-level series for young readers interested in historical fiction. The heroine is great, the plot entertains, and there is some lovely humor sprinkled throughout. I enjoyed these as an adult reader as a quick read, and I think others would too. Highly recom ...more
Julie Lauer anderson
Mar 12, 2016 Julie Lauer anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I think these Lady Grace books are so fun.
Ellen
The second book in the Lady Grace mysteries. In this book Lady Sarah is kidnapped by a dashing sea captin and Grace has to save her and her reputation.
I remembered this book better than I remembered Assasin. Probably because the twists and story were very creative. It sets the tone for the rest of the Lady Grace mysteries in that not all of them would be the same. I loved the setting and the clues to how Grace figures out the culpret.
Still an awsome series and I will continue to reread them.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Told in diary style by a 13 year old Maid of Honor for the first Queen Elizabeth, the Lady Grace Mysteries provide a spunky hero and period context, especially terms for which there is a glossary provided at the back. Betrayal takes Grace out to sea as she pursues the kidnapping of one of her fellow maids of honor by a dishonorable sea captain who wants to marry her. The historical figure, Sir Francis Drake makes an entry into the story as the gallant sea captain that Grace firs suspects.
Amy
May 29, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The writing style threw me to begin with. Plus it's been a while since I read the first book. I find it such fun to read though once I get into it. It's definitely for younger readers. I'm enjoying watching the characters progress. The mystery is good fun too. It's also based on an actual historical time, which makes it even more fun. I don't know of another historical novel series for young readers.

I definitely recommend it.
Rosey
Mar 27, 2012 Rosey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-want
The second book in the Lady Grace Mysteries series is an excellent continuation of the series after the Queen has dubbed Grace her Lady Pursuivant. This book follows the adventures of when Lady Sarah is abducted by a dastardly sea captain who wants to force her to marry him.
In order to save Lady Sarah's reputation, Lady Grace and Masou join Sir Francis Drake's crew.
All aboard for a tale of a tale of adventure on the high seas!
Russell Hall
Lady Grace Cavendish stumbles into her second mystery in this delightful tale. Her sour and self absorbed chamber mate is missing. Her good friend Ellie is ill and Grace is ready to solve both problems with a little help from her other Chamber mate, Mary. Aided by her tumbling friend, Masou, Grace sails full wind in this swashbuckling tale of kidnap to rescue Sarah and return to the palace before anyone knows what is afoot!
Dani
Jun 25, 2013 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Grace is back, when one of the Maids of Honour is suspected to have "run away" Grace suspects foul play. With the help of her friend Masou she disguises herself as a boy and sneaks aboard a ship to find the missing lady.

WARNING! NOT FOR THOSE YOU HATE/DISLIKE: Elizabethan Era, mysteries, ships, girls disguising themselves as boys, Queen Elizabeth
Orchid
May 11, 2014 Orchid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayal was an excellent follow-up in the Lady Grace Mysteries. So far, this has been one of the most entertaining historical fiction series I’ve read in some time.

For my full thoughts on Betrayal stop by my blog.
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #4)
  • The Secret Fiend (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France)
  • Doomed Queen Anne (Young Royals, #3)
  • Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743
  • Around the World in 100 Days
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands, England)

Lady Grace Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Assassin (Lady Grace Mysteries, #1)
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • Exile (Lady Grace Mysteries, #5)
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • Gold! (Lady Grace Mysteries, #7)
  • Haunted (Lady Grace Mysteries, #8)
  • Intrigue (Lady Grace Mysteries, #9)
  • Jinx (Lady Grace Mysteries, #10)
  • Keys (Lady Grace Mysteries, #11)