Start by marking “Lies I Told My Children” as Want to Read:
Lies I Told My Children

Lies I Told My Children

Karen McQuestion not only admits to having lied to her children, she lists it as one of her top secret parenting strategies. Some of her finest parenting moments, she recounts, have involved deception. On planes she’s translated the garbled pilot’s announcement to her advantage saying, “This plane won’t ever land if you keep kicking the back of that seat!” and once introdu
Published July 25th 2009

To ask other readers questions about Lies I Told My Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies I Told My Children

Michelle
Each and every one of these little essays/stories left me thinking "and... so what?". This book came across as more of a series of half-thought-out blog entries than something that should be published and sold. Not "bad", as such, but left me wanting more. Just not necessarily from this author.
Preston Lee
Jul 06, 2010 Preston Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: family, children
I picked up a copy of Lies I Told My Children based on reviews praising the lovable autobigraghical narritives of the authors family life. All the stories are told as anecdotes only several pages long, making this a quick and easy read. Indeed, the stories revolving around the theme of white lies for the better family good make one appreciate the naivety of the saying "never tell a lie". These are truly adoring, and come from a place of true honesty: a loving yet imperfect humans best attempts t ...more
Nenette
Oct 30, 2010 Nenette rated it liked it
A nice collection of mommy stories, more like a mommy blog of ordinary events that could easily be forgotten if not committed to memory, or in the case of the author, to print. My own mommy stories are all committed to memory, and just like this book, it's always good to go back and see how far our children have gone from their younger years.
Therese
Aug 03, 2009 Therese rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! What strikes me is how real Karen is. Her life is like most moms, but the humor she puts into everyday life events makes me realize that there is a lot more humor in life than we often think! Superbly written! Looking forward to reading more from her.
Hayden
Mar 08, 2012 Hayden rated it really liked it
This collection of essays/short stories was pretty hilarious. Karen McQuestion is a great mother, I'm sure. At least she has a sense of humor about the chaos that is raising children. And at least she compiled her tales into a book so other people could relate to and laugh at them as well.

*UPDATE* Most of these stories were pretty funny, although towards the end they got pretty mundane... But as far as 61 page collections of essays/short stories go, this one was a winner, I'd say. I kind of wish
Kara
Aug 08, 2011 Kara rated it really liked it
On Monday I was starting to feel the pressure of the Goodreads.com book goal I set myself. I had to finish the book I was reading and read two more to meet my goal and more importantly get my little profile badge.

On my quest to find my second to last book of the year, I dug into my extensive to read list and found a compilation of essays by an author I had read three times over the summer. It was short, looked funny, promised to be a quick read, and I already knew I liked Karen McQuestion.

Was I
Judy
Jan 26, 2011 Judy rated it it was ok
Karen McQuestion admits to having lied to her children as they were growing up and, upon reflection, I realize that I also lied to my children. Little things like making up the fortunes in their fortune cookies in those wonderful years before they could read. Of course, I was totally busted as their reading skills improved, but those were golden years. In 30 essays of just a few pages each, McQuestion details her life. Amusing, but I was a little disappointed. I thought that there would be some ...more
Charity
Aug 27, 2013 Charity rated it did not like it
With all of the great reviews and the amusing title, maybe I was expecting too much. It's not that it wasn't good, I just thought I'd be rolling with laughter and I wasn't. I thought I would totally relate as a parent, and I didn't very often. I thought I'd be anxious to read another book by the author and I'm not.

It was a quick read and enjoyable. I am just let down because I thought I'd be raving about this book once I finished reading it and I can't.
Lisa
Dec 13, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
"What is this, an extended mommy blog?" I asked myself. Yes it was. Or, to be more accurate, a collection of essays written by a mother. I gave it two stars compared to other books, but for a book of this genre (extended mommy blogs, look it up) it was pretty good. AND good for the 99 cents I paid...from a gift card. Thanks, Amazon!
Amanda
Jan 15, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok
It left me desiring more, however, it had its cute moments.

The intro and title suggested that it would be full of humorous advice from a mother who didn't take life too seriously. That was not the case. It seemed that when the opportunity to get interesting presented itself the chapter just ended.

Sandy
Jun 23, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
It was a funny, easy read, but I quite literally took the title that it was going to be funny experiences that she experienced with her children. There were maybe two examples of this, but the rest of the book was just moments in her life and at times just random thoughts that left me questioning where did this come from?
ABC
Apr 04, 2011 ABC rated it it was ok
Extremely fluffy and fast. She tries to be Erma Bombeck, but that's already been done.

I didn't like how she says that two of her three kids are adopted but then later says mean things about them. (Calls one adopted kid "the sullen one" and the other one "the moody one") She never says anything mean about her biological kid, I noticed.
Hawkgrrrl
Dec 18, 2012 Hawkgrrrl rated it it was ok
I must not be the target audience for this, but I did force myself to finish, like a person eating Lucky Charms eating the oat bits. The oat bits are fine, serviceable cereal, but obviously it's all about the marshmallow bits. There just weren't enough marshmallow bits here for me.
Ann (Noumena12)
Definitely a book for people of a certain age...remember when TV went off the air, test patterns, etc. Have you tried talking to your kids about these concepts. Read this woman's account of those and more interactions with her children.
Barb Van
Mar 23, 2012 Barb Van rated it did not like it
Just a bunch of random happenings in the authors life that are boring and mundane and no different than everyday life. I didn't even smile reading through these stories. It was a quick short read but still not worth the time.
Chatfield
Jun 21, 2011 Chatfield rated it did not like it
I'm still reading this. It is short stories so maybe I will get through it some day. I was hoping for funny stories but so far, the ones that I have read have been very flat. So far, I'm disappointed.
Ashley Treadway
Jun 16, 2011 Ashley Treadway rated it liked it
This was a super cheap book on the kindle, so I decided to try another short/funny story compilation. I was definitely entertained, and this was super short, so it was a fast read. Another fun summer book.
Chelly
Jun 14, 2012 Chelly rated it liked it
Ok for 99 cents on the Nook. Was wanting more depth as I reached the end of each essay. Kinda reminded me vaguely of Dave Barry columns. Read A Scattered Life by her last yr and it was much better. Cute and kinda funny but not as funny as other books I have read.
Barb Hogan
Jun 01, 2010 Barb Hogan rated it did not like it
I read this entire book on a layover at Chicago O'Hare. I found the book about as entertaining as spending the day at the airport. I kept waiting for the good, funny stuff to kick in and it just didn't. A big disappointment to me.
Doh
Feb 14, 2010 Doh rated it it was ok
not particularly clever, funny or scandalous. I suppose I smiled form time to time while reading it.
♫Angielee♫
Jul 05, 2010 ♫Angielee♫ rated it it was ok
I couldn't read the whole book and I skimmed the parts that I did actually read. The best part was the relatives chapter. We all have realitives that fit into the catagories she offered.
Aja
Jan 03, 2011 Aja rated it liked it
Very short collection of (also short) essays largely about life as a mother.
Ellen
Mar 10, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
Very funny essays about life with kids. Any mother who's been there will enjoy this light read.
Lghamilton
May 03, 2011 Lghamilton rated it liked it
Good airplane reading.
Aubrie
Oct 03, 2014 Aubrie rated it did not like it
Just terrible...
Mindi
Mar 03, 2011 Mindi rated it really liked it
very funny! I thought I was the only parent like that!
Shannon Myers
Oct 11, 2012 Shannon Myers rated it really liked it
I recommend reading this book entirely in Paula Poundstone's voice. Also, it might be more poignant to those of you with children, but I found it enjoyable too.
Cecile
Jun 09, 2011 Cecile rated it liked it
This is a fun book of stories told from a mother's perspective. My 11 year old daughter actually enjoyed it when I read some of them to her. Good light reading.
Aimee Robinson
Jan 12, 2011 Aimee Robinson rated it liked it
I downloaded this book onto my Kindle for only $1.99..cannot resist a bargain! It was a quick read, saw a little of myself in each anecdote told! Would not spend much more to buy this book!
Taysha
Aug 16, 2011 Taysha rated it it was ok
It was okay... nothing spectacular, but not a complete waste of time, either.
  • Altitude Adjustment: A Quest for Love, Home, and Meaning in the Tetons
  • Two Coots in a Canoe: An Unusual Story Of Friendship
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • The Complete Works of Mark Twain: The Novels, short stories, essays and satires, travel writing, non-fiction, the complete letters, the complete speeches, and the autobiography of Mark Twain
  • Mountain Laurel
  • The Tale of a Boy, an Elf, and a Very Stinky Fish (Jackson Jones #1)
  • His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)
  • Stripping Down: A Memoir
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • Fat, Forty, and Fired: One man's frank, funny, and inspiring account of losing his job and finding his life
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Four: 1931-1935
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)
  • My Name Is Iran
  • Jerusalem Gap
  • Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek, #2)
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut: Essays and Observations
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and the national NPR show, The Story with Dick Gordon. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives with ...more
More about Karen McQuestion...