Start by marking “Lies I Told My Children” as Want to Read:
Lies I Told My Children

Lies I Told My Children

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  62 reviews

Karen McQuestion not only admits to having lied to her children, she lists it as one of her top secret parenting strategies. Some of her finest parenting moments, she recounts, have involved deception. On planes she’s translated the garbled pilot’s announcement to her advantage saying, “This plane won’t ever land if you keep kicking the back of that seat!” and once introdu
Published July 25th 2009

To ask other readers questions about Lies I Told My Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies I Told My Children

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroI, Claudius by Robert GravesI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeI, Robot by Isaac Asimov
The First Person -- It's All About "I"
183rd out of 261 books — 47 voters
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayBetrayed by P.C. CastThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTorment by Lauren KateUntamed by P.C. Cast
With Their Backs to the Reader
412th out of 628 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

Preston Lee
I picked up a copy of Lies I Told My Children based on reviews praising the lovable autobigraghical narritives of the authors family life. All the stories are told as anecdotes only several pages long, making this a quick and easy read. Indeed, the stories revolving around the theme of white lies for the better family good make one appreciate the naivety of the saying "never tell a lie". These are truly adoring, and come from a place of true honesty: a loving yet imperfect humans best attempts t ...more
Nenette
A nice collection of mommy stories, more like a mommy blog of ordinary events that could easily be forgotten if not committed to memory, or in the case of the author, to print. My own mommy stories are all committed to memory, and just like this book, it's always good to go back and see how far our children have gone from their younger years.
Michelle
Each and every one of these little essays/stories left me thinking "and... so what?". This book came across as more of a series of half-thought-out blog entries than something that should be published and sold. Not "bad", as such, but left me wanting more. Just not necessarily from this author.
Therese
I loved this book! What strikes me is how real Karen is. Her life is like most moms, but the humor she puts into everyday life events makes me realize that there is a lot more humor in life than we often think! Superbly written! Looking forward to reading more from her.
Hayden
This collection of essays/short stories was pretty hilarious. Karen McQuestion is a great mother, I'm sure. At least she has a sense of humor about the chaos that is raising children. And at least she compiled her tales into a book so other people could relate to and laugh at them as well.

*UPDATE* Most of these stories were pretty funny, although towards the end they got pretty mundane... But as far as 61 page collections of essays/short stories go, this one was a winner, I'd say. I kind of wish
Kara
On Monday I was starting to feel the pressure of the Goodreads.com book goal I set myself. I had to finish the book I was reading and read two more to meet my goal and more importantly get my little profile badge.

On my quest to find my second to last book of the year, I dug into my extensive to read list and found a compilation of essays by an author I had read three times over the summer. It was short, looked funny, promised to be a quick read, and I already knew I liked Karen McQuestion.

Was I
Judy
Karen McQuestion admits to having lied to her children as they were growing up and, upon reflection, I realize that I also lied to my children. Little things like making up the fortunes in their fortune cookies in those wonderful years before they could read. Of course, I was totally busted as their reading skills improved, but those were golden years. In 30 essays of just a few pages each, McQuestion details her life. Amusing, but I was a little disappointed. I thought that there would be some ...more
Aubrie
Just terrible...
Charity
With all of the great reviews and the amusing title, maybe I was expecting too much. It's not that it wasn't good, I just thought I'd be rolling with laughter and I wasn't. I thought I would totally relate as a parent, and I didn't very often. I thought I'd be anxious to read another book by the author and I'm not.

It was a quick read and enjoyable. I am just let down because I thought I'd be raving about this book once I finished reading it and I can't.
Kirei
Extremely fluffy and fast. She tries to be Erma Bombeck, but that's already been done.

I didn't like how she says that two of her three kids are adopted but then later says mean things about them. (Calls one adopted kid "the sullen one" and the other one "the moody one") She never says anything mean about her biological kid, I noticed.
Lisa
Dec 15, 2011 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
"What is this, an extended mommy blog?" I asked myself. Yes it was. Or, to be more accurate, a collection of essays written by a mother. I gave it two stars compared to other books, but for a book of this genre (extended mommy blogs, look it up) it was pretty good. AND good for the 99 cents I paid...from a gift card. Thanks, Amazon!
Sandy
It was a funny, easy read, but I quite literally took the title that it was going to be funny experiences that she experienced with her children. There were maybe two examples of this, but the rest of the book was just moments in her life and at times just random thoughts that left me questioning where did this come from?
Amanda
It left me desiring more, however, it had its cute moments.

The intro and title suggested that it would be full of humorous advice from a mother who didn't take life too seriously. That was not the case. It seemed that when the opportunity to get interesting presented itself the chapter just ended.

Hawkgrrrl
I must not be the target audience for this, but I did force myself to finish, like a person eating Lucky Charms eating the oat bits. The oat bits are fine, serviceable cereal, but obviously it's all about the marshmallow bits. There just weren't enough marshmallow bits here for me.
Chelly
Ok for 99 cents on the Nook. Was wanting more depth as I reached the end of each essay. Kinda reminded me vaguely of Dave Barry columns. Read A Scattered Life by her last yr and it was much better. Cute and kinda funny but not as funny as other books I have read.
Barb Hogan
I read this entire book on a layover at Chicago O'Hare. I found the book about as entertaining as spending the day at the airport. I kept waiting for the good, funny stuff to kick in and it just didn't. A big disappointment to me.
Ann (Noumena12)
Definitely a book for people of a certain age...remember when TV went off the air, test patterns, etc. Have you tried talking to your kids about these concepts. Read this woman's account of those and more interactions with her children.
Barb Van
Just a bunch of random happenings in the authors life that are boring and mundane and no different than everyday life. I didn't even smile reading through these stories. It was a quick short read but still not worth the time.
Chatfield
I'm still reading this. It is short stories so maybe I will get through it some day. I was hoping for funny stories but so far, the ones that I have read have been very flat. So far, I'm disappointed.
Ashley Treadway
This was a super cheap book on the kindle, so I decided to try another short/funny story compilation. I was definitely entertained, and this was super short, so it was a fast read. Another fun summer book.
Aimee Robinson
I downloaded this book onto my Kindle for only $1.99..cannot resist a bargain! It was a quick read, saw a little of myself in each anecdote told! Would not spend much more to buy this book!
Maggie
delightful. recommended. esp if you are a mother or have been a mother. what do we want to read about? our children and our roll as a mother naturally. this small collection of essays fills the bill.
Holly
I read this book when I was solely searching for a funny book to read. The book was decent, but overall, not laugh out loud funny. I found that it fell short and was not memorable.
Kipp Poe
Yet another great read from Karen McQuestion a fun breakdown of stories of being a parent and a glimps into a writers life a must read and yes i feel the same way about Mashed Potatoes
♫Angielee♫
I couldn't read the whole book and I skimmed the parts that I did actually read. The best part was the relatives chapter. We all have realitives that fit into the catagories she offered.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
A very short book of short essays about being a parent, none of which really develop or "payout."

Felt more like stories told across the table at a dinner party than a book.

Cecile
This is a fun book of stories told from a mother's perspective. My 11 year old daughter actually enjoyed it when I read some of them to her. Good light reading.
Shannon Myers
I recommend reading this book entirely in Paula Poundstone's voice. Also, it might be more poignant to those of you with children, but I found it enjoyable too.
Cassie
What a fun collection of essays and so relatable for any mom. It's not Shakespeare, but it's fun. If you like reading mom-blogs this is the book for you.
Bridgett Birmingham
This book was just so-so. It was at least a quick read. She has a good storytelling voice but the stories just didn't go anywhere.
  • Goodbye Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #4)
  • Fat, Forty, and Fired: One man's frank, funny, and inspiring account of losing his job and finding his life
  • His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • My Name Is Iran
  • Jackson Jones, Book 1: The Tale of a Boy, an Elf, and a Very Stinky Fish
  • Jerusalem Gap
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • A Chinese Life
  • Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)
  • Taking Love In Stride
  • Stupid Christmas
  • The Diary, Vol. 5: 1936-1941
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek, #2)
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena
National best-selling author Karen McQuestion writes books for adults as well as for kids and teens. Her novels regularly place in the top 100 Kindle books, and each successive novel has added to her ever growing fan base, making her one of the preeminent Amazon Publishing authors. McQuestion lives in Wisconsin with her family and is always working on her next novel.

Her website:www.karenmcquestion
More about Karen McQuestion...
A Scattered Life Easily Amused The Long Way Home Hello Love Favorite