Start by marking “Books of Blood, Volume One” as Want to Read:
Books of Blood, Volume One

Books of Blood, Volume One (Books of Blood #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  11,825 ratings  ·  267 reviews
The original English Editions published in individual volumes.
the art work for the covers were banned in the US and so the american editions were published in 3-vol.s
Hardcover
Published 1985 by Wiedenfeld & Nicolson, London, UK (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Books of Blood, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Books of Blood, Volume One

Stephen
Horror...gore...twisted, nightmare imagery...let's get under the covers and read something scary...
Photobucket

There are some truly blood-chilling moments in this excellent collection. Barker has a very unique voice and I thought all of these stories were at least good, with several being remarkable 5+ star worthy gems. Deeply evocative with shocking depictions that will glue themselves to your memory. This is a worthy collection for fans of the genre or anyone who enjoys quality, creative writing and isn
Paul Nelson
I listened to the audio version of Books of Blood volume 1 and while not being blown away by the majority of the narration, I thought four of the stories exceptional and the remaining two just didn’t do it for me but I guess you will always get that in most collections.

Book of Blood 4*
The first story follows a psychic researcher and a medium as they investigate a haunted house. This story was adapted to become part of the film the Book of Blood and visions of the highway of the dead. The medium
⊱ Irena ⊰
3.5
Books of Blood, Volume 1 is an entertaining six-story anthology. As usual, I didn't love every story. The last two didn't do much for me.

The Book of Blood
The dead have highways and a team of three people is at Tollington Place 65 to witness one of those turnpikes and intersections.

The Midnight Train
Kaufman's love for New York is not as strong as when he came to live there. Someone is butchering people in the subway and he is going to get in the middle of it and learn some of the city's hist
Bark's Book Nonsense
I originally read this book when it was a brand new release and I was fourteen. I remember buying it with my allowance at the local drugstore. I'm betting most of it went over my head at the time but I have fond memories of scaring people away from speaking to me when reading this. I'm curious how I'll feel about it now that I'm no longer a tormented teen looking to hide from reality.

The Book of Blood
After recently seeing the movie adaptation of this short story, which was dreary, sexualized and
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*

It’s been so long since I’ve read these that reading them now is almost like experiencing them for the first time all over again. Having a shoddy memory mainly sucks, but in the case of book re-reads, it holds its gifts.

I do remember some things though – like when this came out, Barker was making his way on the horror scene big time, heavily endorsed by King himself, who said: “I have seen the future of horror, and his name is Clive Barker.” This quote was even used, with an actor voiceover, for
To my total surprise I am giving this collection of stories four stars. :) One of the things that I struggle with with horror is that it can be incredibly predictable. Not so with this book. Barker does a phenomenal job of making his stories unique and original. There was only one story that I felt was same ol' same ol'. The Yattering and Jack was my favorite, but I also really enjoyed In the Hills, the Cities.
Amy

The Midnight Meat Train

The Yattering and Jack

Pig Blood Blues

Sex, Death and Star Shine

In the Hills, the Cities
This is my favorite story from this volume. I found this image on deviant art, an awesome depiction of the giant made of people.
Addy
I finally finished this and was sorry I waited because the last 2 stories I really enjoyed. Especially the one about the giant human mass which was just genius! Just picturing it in my head was so much fun! Mick and Judd were very likable characters too. My other favorites were The Yattering and Jack and Pig Blood Blues. Highly recommend even if u are not a Barker fan. I'm so glad I have part 2 and 3.
Michael
Dec 19, 2010 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans, Barker Fans, Gore fans
Recommended to Michael by: Kahlil
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Occasionally I try to read some horror that is not written by HP Lovecraft. When I do, I am invariably reminded that I am not a horror fan, I am a Lovecraft fan. I think reading this, in High School, was the first time I had this experience. Actually, if I recall, I had already read the first story,
"The Book of Blood" (which serves as a kind of "wraparound" to this volume) in Omni magazine. It was better as a standalone, actually. Overall, the stories focus on pain and gore (and the painful asp
Бранимир Събев
Видях бъдещето на ужаса... и то се казва Клайв Баркър.

Шапки долу, дами и господа! Тези думи на самия Стивън Кинг, отпечатани на първа корица съвсем не са случайни. Моите аплодисменти за издателство "Колибри", които се престрашиха да издадат третата в България книга на един от Тъмните Императори в жанра - след "Обречени на Ада" от 90-те и уж детската "Абарат", пред нас със своя първи от общо шест тома "Кървави Книги" застава Клайв Баркър, бащата на емблематичните Хелрейзър и Кендимен. По негови т
Patrick
Currently, I'm reading Books 1-3 contained in a single volume, but I wanted to review each book individually.

So far, I am quite impressed by Clive Barker's collection of short macabre horror stories. I was a bit skeptical of reading them because I had watched a Hellraiser film (which he directed) and had thought that it was very poor in quality, story and acting. Luckily, I can say that his writing is much better. The book starts with a terrifying statement: "Everybody is a book of blood. Wherev
Jadranka
Posle nekoliko godina neuspešnog traganja konačno sam uspela da se domognem i kupim, nažalost samo prvi deo Barkerovog krvavog serijala...Ponavljam NAŽALOST! jer knjiga je genijalna.
Slažem se sa mišljenjem mnogih da knjiga definitivno nije za svakoga.
Barker je jako eksplicitan prilikom deskripcije gnusnih delova i krvi ima na sve strane, a čak i kad krene fino i polako sa uvođenjem u priču čitalac jednostavno zna da ga čeka nešto strašno, vrlo moguće odvratno i samo je pitanje kada i kako će do
Alexis
After an introductory story that's ripped off the Illustrated Man we get:
1.The Midnight Meat Train (2.8/5). A decent story involving a serial killer working for a, literally, underground organisation. Barker hits the brake before the train derails but that's it.
2.The Yattering and Jack (3/5). A lighthearted comedic story about a failed attempt at haunting. Good, not great.
3.Pig Blood Blues (2/5). Not exactly bad, but Barker tries so hard to come up with new ideas that he introduces us to an evil
Ksenia Anske
Beautiful bloody bizarrerie. I'm in absolute awe.
Mike Kleine
CLIVE BARKER’S BOOKS OF BLOOD: 1 is one of the more interesting books I have read this side of 2012, and I’m not even talking about the horror stuff… While some authors are known for their prose, dialogue or surprise twists, Clive Barker just really knows how to write a good story, offering just enough detail but never revealing too much. The text itself contains a meager five (technically, six) stories but for what it lacks in length, it certainly makes up in substance.

THE BOOK OF BLOOD **
Even
Amy
The Books of Blood are probably the best things Barker has ever written. These stories are not just (or always) scary, but extremely imaginative. In this collection, the story "In the Hills, the Cities" certainly stretched my brain. "The Yattering and Jack" is also memorable, as a tale of a demon trying to trap a soul, that verges on the slapstick.
George
These books were first published way back in 1984, before Barker was a name and before he even had got his technique down to a tee. Before this he was a starving artist, selling off his sculptures and writing plays. His luck turned around when a publishing agent read some of the stories and asked for more. He would write plays in the day and stories at night. The books were first published in a omnibus of 1-3 and then 4-6.

They were a publishing phenomenon, and as even Mark Gatiss of TV's 'the L
Tobin Elliott
I've read almost everything Barker has written, with the notable exceptions of the Books of Blood and the Abarat series. I figured it was time to remedy that, so here I am, back where it all began.

Barker's a hell of a nice guy (I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back in Toronto) and a hell of a writer. I think the thing that impresses me the most is that nothing is off limits for him and the reader will likely never be able to predict where his stories will go.

That's both a plus and a
Слави Ганев
Кървави книги е сборник с разкази на британския писател Клайв Баркър, който междувременно е художник и артист. Известен е преди всичко със своите хорър и фентъзи творби.

Книгата съдържа шест разказа и е само началото на поредица, която ще се състои от шест тома. Всичко на всичко съдържанието се свежда до шест разказа (то стана съвсем демонично).

Жанрът на творбите обаче не е чист хорър. О, да, не е! Ужасът на Баркър бива представян като по-различен от този на други типични автори в областта (Хауър
Dreadlocksmile
Back in 1984, Clive Barker made his name within the deeply competitive world of horror with the publication of the first three volumes of the macabre short stories 'The Books Of Blood'. Written in his spare time, he admits that he was not expecting them to sell really at all, let alone predict the public response that followed. The release exploded within the horror literature genre, hailing Barker as an exciting and imaginative newcomer. Stephen King, already known as a master in the genre, wen ...more
Paul Darcy
By Clive Barker, published in 1984.

Been quite a while since I cracked open a Clive Barker book (my last was Weaveworld about 1987) and partook of his particular sense of horror.

And it is particular, and twisted and weird and leaves a lasting impression on you. Which, for some, may be a good thing and for others not such a good thing depending on your sensibilities. He uses colourful language and disturbing sexual situations so be warned - this stuff is not the Sunday funnies.

This is his first Bo
jacky
I have never read any Clive Barker, though he is one of my husband's favorite authors. With the movie Midnight Meat Train coming out soon, I thought I would read the short story first and see what Barker is like in print (I've seen several movies based on his stories before).

The story was very much what I expected. The story focused on the hard and dirty ascpects of life, was gory, and was centered on an outrageous idea, which is revealed at the end.

My husband and I are curous how they will ma
Rebecca McNutt
Great little collection of horror stories, definitely worth reading if you're into the horror genre. They're creative, well-written and eerie, and really intriguing. My only complaint is that they don't seem to be very original.
Linda
Loved all the variety of stories - gore, supernatural, creepiness, and even humor. The Yattering and Jack was my favorite.
David
Clive Barker is considered a master of horror and having had this first encounter with his work I can readily attest to it. He knows how to gradually introduce the element of horror in his tales, never skimping on gory details. Plus his vocabulary --which made me query my Kindle's dictionary rather frequently-- adds to the overall vibe of his style.

At first I was a little confused with the intro to this book, it's the kind of prose that puts me a little off while I try to fully grasp its meaning
Stela

Just a quick overview, I’ll write a full review when I have finished the last volume. As a first impression, not bad at all, for a gothic. Some stories are based on myths, some on urban legends. Very interesting the starting point: all stories are written in blood (hence the title) on the body of a fake medium. However, the best in the volume is the last one, with the titanic image of a city in form of a body made of bodies. To note also the symmetry – the first and last stories are about the so
Charles
When I found the three volumes of Barker's "Books of Blood," I knew I'd found the new kind of horror I was looking for. To this day the Books of Blood remains one of the greatest and most consistently enjoyable horror collections available.
Meghan
AGH! That giant freaking pig story. It has marred me forever. The only horror book that ever made me think my mom was right about reading scary things and Clive Barker being evil. 5 stars just for the sheer terror.
Abigail
A special book with a lot of history and personal significance for me. It shattered my book world and I never forgot it. I still refer to many of these stories in conversation.
Billy Candelaria
first of clive barker's stories compiled here. it will keep you up and won't let your brain stop screaming for more
  • The Tomb and Other Tales
  • Blue World
  • Book of the Dead
  • My Work is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Horror
  • Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991
  • The Howling Man
  • The Conqueror Worms
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • The Throne of Bones
  • Dark Gods
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #1)
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
More about Clive Barker...

Books of Blood (6 books)
  • Books of Blood : Volume Two (Books of Blood #2)
  • Books of Blood : Volume Three (Books of Blood #3)
  • The Inhuman Condition  (Books of Blood #4)
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
The Great and Secret Show (Book of the Art #1) The Hellbound Heart Books of Blood, Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3) The Thief of Always Abarat (Abarat, #1)

“I don't want to see another church; the smell of the places makes me sick. Stale incense, old sweat, and lies...

"In the Hills, the Cities”
7 likes
“Kaufman almost smiled at the perfection of its horror. He felt an offer of insanity tickling the base of his skull, tempting him into oblivion, promising a blank indifference to the world.” 4 likes