Start by marking “Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin” as Want to Read:
Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin

Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
One of the most beloved characters in all of comics, Tintin won an enormous international following. Translated into dozens of languages, Tintin's adventures have sold millions of copies, and Steven Spielberg is presently adapting the stories for the big screen. Yet, despite Tintin's enduring popularity, Americans know almost nothing about his gifted creator, Georges Remi- ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hergé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hergé

Felix Purat
Being a big Tintin fan, I had to borrow this biography of the mysterious Herge after seeing it at the library out of the corner of my eye. In a way, it's surprising to see so many negative comments about this book; in fact, I didn't even realize it was a translation. Then again, it seems only fitting that biographies of Herge be written in French first, just as his Tintin stories were.

But it is the content that makes this biography worthwhile (and to me, cancels out the other errors which I fin
Mo
I sought this out because I wanted to know how the mind that created Tintin worked. Unfortunately, this book suffers from poor translation, bad enough that sometimes I didn't understand what a given sentence even meant. Maybe Assouline's original text is great, but it's hard to tell. This is also a book that definitely needs illustrations, and there isn't a single one.

The sections about Hergé's activities around the Second World War are the strongest and came closest to providing genuine insight
Lawrence
I am not a big fan of biographies, but I was curious to learn something about the creator of Tintin. I have always been a big fan of Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, having learned about them and read the stories in French class at a young age. And now, having read this biography of their creator, I struggle with the question of just how much one can divorce the "creator" from the "created." And, how much one must do so in order to continue loving the created. Herge, the man, turns out to be less ...more
Memorable Reading
As someone who enjoyed the Tintin stories, it was nice to get some context about how each of his stories were created, but on the whole it wasn't a very good book. Half of the last chapter is devoted to reciting revisions Herge made to a previous book about himself - I'm sure there's some sort of irony in that. As a piece of critical non-fiction it is lacking - the vast majority of references for this work come from Herge himself and the author often makes unsubstantiated inferences. It would ha ...more
Jason
I learned things I was glad to learn about Hergé but this is a disaster of a book.

Seems to have been translated by a robot and edited by a house cat, both locked in a room with no access to outside information, and neither of whom have any familiarity with or interest in the subject matter.

Maybe it's good in French (much of it is more transliterated than translated, so it flips the Francophone brainswitch anyway), and without the parts that were abridged.
Jack
It's really good. I'm glad to have more details regarding the world around Herge when he was writing these stories I love so much.
Christian Richardsøn
This book's a real shame, because the author's somehow managed to make an interesting person (in Hergé) appear dull. A more systematic way of recalling events past - i.e. rigorously chronological - would have suited the retelling of Hergé's life.
Frank Jacobs
Interesting more for its subject than for its style, this exploration of Herge's life by French top biographer Assouline is completist, and does not shy away from the author's darker side; but is ultimately too long-winded and pleased with itself.
Mark
Not that great. As far as biographies go, it was fairly by the numbers. To factual, not anecdotal enough.
Pearl Vick
Tintin; Herge; Belgium; occupation and results; biography.
Alicia
vaguely interesting, but poorly written
Cee
Cee marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
sean
sean marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Hannah Smith
Hannah Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Basem.android
Basem.android marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jaco
Jaco marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Leigh Rubin
Leigh Rubin marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014