Start by marking “Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin” as Want to Read:
Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin

Hergé: The Man Who Created Tintin

One of the most beloved characters in all of comics, Tintin won an enormous international following. Translated into dozens of languages, Tintin's adventures have sold millions of copies, and Steven Spielberg is presently adapting the stories for the big screen. Yet, despite Tintin's enduring popularity, Americans know almost nothing about his gifted creator, Georges Remi- ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hergé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hergé

Mo
I sought this out because I wanted to know how the mind that created Tintin worked. Unfortunately, this book suffers from poor translation, bad enough that sometimes I didn't understand what a given sentence even meant. Maybe Assouline's original text is great, but it's hard to tell. This is also a book that definitely needs illustrations, and there isn't a single one.

The sections about Hergé's activities around the Second World War are the strongest and came closest to providing genuine insight
Lawrence
Aug 03, 2009 Lawrence rated it liked it
I am not a big fan of biographies, but I was curious to learn something about the creator of Tintin. I have always been a big fan of Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, having learned about them and read the stories in French class at a young age. And now, having read this biography of their creator, I struggle with the question of just how much one can divorce the "creator" from the "created." And, how much one must do so in order to continue loving the created. Herge, the man, turns out to be less ...more
Dewey
May 14, 2014 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Being a big Tintin fan, I had to borrow this biography of the mysterious Herge after seeing it at the library out of the corner of my eye. In a way, it's surprising to see so many negative comments about this book; in fact, I didn't even realize it was a translation. Then again, it seems only fitting that biographies of Herge be written in French first, just as his Tintin stories were.

But it is the content that makes this biography worthwhile (and to me, cancels out the other errors which I fin
Memorable Reading
Nov 26, 2014 Memorable Reading rated it it was ok
Shelves: bio-memoir
As someone who enjoyed the Tintin stories, it was nice to get some context about how each of his stories were created, but on the whole it wasn't a very good book. Half of the last chapter is devoted to reciting revisions Herge made to a previous book about himself - I'm sure there's some sort of irony in that. As a piece of critical non-fiction it is lacking - the vast majority of references for this work come from Herge himself and the author often makes unsubstantiated inferences. It would ha ...more
Jason Das
Feb 29, 2012 Jason Das rated it it was ok
I learned things I was glad to learn about Hergé but this is a disaster of a book.

Seems to have been translated by a robot and edited by a house cat, both locked in a room with no access to outside information, and neither of whom have any familiarity with or interest in the subject matter.

Maybe it's good in French (much of it is more transliterated than translated, so it flips the Francophone brainswitch anyway), and without the parts that were abridged.
Christine Sinclair
If you love Tintin (like I do), you should read this book! It's an excellent look at Herge, both as an artist and as a man. He had his imperfections in both areas, but it's great to know more about him. Also, see Spielberg's Tintin movie if you haven't; I loved it!
Christian Richardsøn
This book's a real shame, because the author's somehow managed to make an interesting person (in Hergé) appear dull. A more systematic way of recalling events past - i.e. rigorously chronological - would have suited the retelling of Hergé's life.
Frank Jacobs
Interesting more for its subject than for its style, this exploration of Herge's life by French top biographer Assouline is completist, and does not shy away from the author's darker side; but is ultimately too long-winded and pleased with itself.
Pearl Vick
Aug 14, 2011 Pearl Vick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Tintin; Herge; Belgium; occupation and results; biography.
Alicia
Sep 26, 2010 Alicia rated it it was ok
vaguely interesting, but poorly written
Jack
Aug 09, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it
It's really good. I'm glad to have more details regarding the world around Herge when he was writing these stories I love so much.
Mark
May 10, 2011 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not that great. As far as biographies go, it was fairly by the numbers. To factual, not anecdotal enough.
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Daniel Ignacio
Daniel Ignacio rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2010
Marc Boisseau
Marc Boisseau rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Homoergaster
Homoergaster rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Jarred Snowball
Jarred Snowball rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Elie
Elie rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Mireille Asselin
Mireille Asselin rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Gerald
Gerald rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2009
Elene Botha
Elene Botha rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Pedro
Pedro rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Marc Carnier
Marc Carnier rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Dave Bradley
Dave Bradley rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Jean-david Benichou
Jean-david Benichou rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Elodie George
Elodie George rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Guy Thomas
Guy Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2017
Bidot Laurent
Bidot Laurent rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2016