Start by marking “The Crucible of Empire (Jao, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Crucible of Empire (Jao, #2)

The Crucible of Empire (Jao #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  396 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When humans and their Jao overlords joined forces in a desperate battle to save the Earth from the malevolent race called the Ekhat, the relationship between the two species was changed forever. Two years later, humans and Jao are learning to work together in an uneasy alliance. Then, in a distant nebula, three Jao ships detect signs of another sentient species during a ba ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Baen (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Crucible of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crucible of Empire

Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Product Description

The sequel to the critically acclaimed The Course of the Empire.

About the Author

Eric Flint is the author of the New York Times best seller 1634: The GalileoAffair (with Andrew Dennis)- a novel in his top-selling "Ring of Fire" alternate history series. His first novel for Baen, Mother of Demons, was picked by Sciemce Fiction Chronicle as a best novel of the year. His 1632, which launched the ring of Fire series, won widespread critical praise, as from Publishers Weekly, w

Allan
Apr 09, 2014 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, war
In this second installment of the Jao series, we meet the Lleix, yet another alien species that the xenophobic Ekhat want to eradicate from the universe. Indeed they thought they had done and so did the Jao as they were the ones responsible for carrying the extermination out but a small enclave has survived. Could they be recruited by humans and Jao to join the fight against the Ekhat? Will they be discovered and annihilated by the Ekhat before any of that or will they, on seeing the once-murder ...more
Steven
Feb 25, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
I found this book after re-reading Black on Black and Stars over Stars. Those two books impressed me with the worldbuilding of the alien race. I was equally impressed with Crucible of Empire. The story has at least three elements going for it. It has conflict between space faring races, strange but interesting cultural traits and habits of the races, and characters that I was intersted in. Caitlin, Tully, Captain Dannet, Jihan and the Krants are the most interesting. The authors introduce a grea ...more
Andreas
Mar 27, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it
This direct sequel to The Course of Empire takes up the story two years after the events of the previous book. The nascent Terra taif consisting of both Jao and humans finds clues that the Lleix, a race practically exterminated by the Jao during their time as an Ekhat slave race, may have survived, but is in imminent danger from the Ekhat. Terra taif’s newest ship, the gargantuan Lexington, is dispatched to the system in question.

It is a rare sequel that is as good as the original, but Flint and
Book Calendar
Mar 30, 2010 Book Calendar rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Crucible of Empire by Eric Flint and K.D. Wentworth

This is the sequel to The Course of Empire. During The Course of Empire, the Jao conquered earth. Partly this was because of human disunity. Now, the Jao have drafted humanity into fighting their ancient enemies the Ekhat. They have adapted both human and Jao technology to create a massive new spaceship the size of an aircraft carrier, the Lexington.

This story is partially about how technology changes when two cultures meet to make somethi
Beau
Feb 04, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it
Ready for the next one!

I can't wait to find out what happens next.

It's SOP for me to read the free chapters at Baen, and then I'm stuck in the middle of the story until the book comes out. I read the previous book in the series (Baen Free Library) and couldn't resist buying the eBook to read the second installment.

Now I need another one. Good thing my wife works at a library.
Clayton
Aug 11, 2014 Clayton rated it really liked it
This is the second book from the "Course of Empire" series (see my other review of the first instrument). I paid for this one, and it did not disappoint. You really do need to read the first book before this one though. This one has a slightly simpler story, but the introduction of another alien race is definitely a highlight and a strength.
Joe Swan
May 01, 2015 Joe Swan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great One

This 2nd book in the Course of Empire series has more than passed my expectations. I'm looking forward to the 3rd book with great anticipation. The humor, plot and problem solutions have made the stories the best I've read recently.
Alex
Oct 04, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-books
"Crucible of Empire" is the second book in a series that is not going anywhere. I read the first book and it was OK. This book was less than OK but not so terrible that I would rate it less. If you read the first book and feel compelled to find out what happened... then read it. Might as well. That is why I stuck with it. But even though this book leaves an opening for a sequel, I'm begging the author not to do it. K.D. Wentworth has passed away. Eric Flint is going strong so I can't see why he ...more
Dantegideon
Dec 10, 2014 Dantegideon rated it liked it
It's the same plot as the first book, but with a different set of aliens to resolve differences with. Some quite boring aliens, if I'm honest. Also, what happened to the -redacted- they go to immense pains to capture? They never mention it again, and it's the best bit of the book! Kind of a letdown all around.
Jared
Apr 23, 2015 Jared rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one! Great aliens, great characters and some breathtaking space battles.
Derek
Apr 22, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I love this sort of story. Good old space opera!

It's just a rollicking good read, with interesting character studies of 4 different sapient species (humans and three others).

I'm a little disappointed in the treatment of the main female character, who despite being "Queen of the Universe" (that's just a joke one of the other characters makes) still seems to require a husband to validate her existence, and the portrayal of humanity as the smartest and most adaptable of the four species is jingoist
Morgan
Sep 13, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed both Course of Empire and Crucible of Empire. I wanted to give Crucible five stars, but I held off because the book lacks the substance to be an exceptional science fiction novel. With that said, I have enjoyed both Empire books as much as practically any other book I have ever read. It gets five stars for entertainment value.
Shing Shang13
Apr 21, 2013 Shing Shang13 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The same elements that made the first book in this series so enjoyable are continued here. This author has the ability to create interesting worlds and even more interesting characters. I'm hoping for another in the series.
Michael Rutkowski
Feb 16, 2012 Michael Rutkowski rated it it was amazing
very, very, very good book! too bad we had to wait 8 years for this sequal! would love to see a sequal to this book in a couple years but do nt want to wait 8 years again!
Nihonjoe
I'm hoping there will be more in this series. I'm really enjoying the alien-ness of the aliens (all three groups of them).
Elliot
Apr 06, 2012 Elliot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me 83 pages to remember that I read this book already. I can't wait for the third one in the series now.
Bill
Mar 11, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
A good sequel to The Course of Empire.
Humans and Jao fight to save a race long thought destroyed.
Charles
Dec 20, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing
So sad about KD I hope Eric finds someone else to follow up in this universe.
Nicholas
Aug 13, 2012 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it as much as the first one in the series.
Marcel S
Marcel S rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Mark Hauck
Mark Hauck is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Zachary Wagoner
Zachary Wagoner marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Mark McGeown
Mark McGeown rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Hotrats
Hotrats rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2016
Some
Some rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Todd Campbell
Todd Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Raising Caine
  • The View from the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • The Heretic (The General, #9)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Victory or Death (Battlecruiser Alamo, #3)
  • Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass, #2)
  • Empire of Bones (Empire of Bones Saga, #1)
  • Contact with Chaos (Freehold: Grainne War, #3, Freehold, #4)
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • Cadet (Defender of the Empire #1)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Jao (3 books)
  • The Course of Empire (Jao, #1)
  • The Span of Empire (Jao #3)