Start by marking “Dark Horse: The Life And Art Of George Harrison” as Want to Read:
Dark Horse: The Life And Art Of George Harrison

Dark Horse: The Life And Art Of George Harrison

The least understood and most paradoxical of the Beatles, George Harrison has parried for more than twenty-five years any attempt to penetrate the public enigma that cloaks the private man—that is, until Dark Horse. In the mid–1980s Geoffrey Giuliano lived in the "often wonderfully unreal" world of Harrison and his friends, interviews with whom are the basis for much of th ...more
Published March 22nd 1997 by Da Capo Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Horse

Lorraine
May 30, 2012 Lorraine rated it did not like it
The only reason this even rates one star is because it has some interviews and photos. Giuliano pulls facts out of an odd imagination. He misrepresents and takes out of context every little morsel he can contrive to be sensational. For instance, George satirically stated, "He knows more about me than I do." Giuliano uses this to say George endorsed his book! Actually, George was saying the exact opposite, that this guy was making things up. Terrible biography.

Recommended instead: "I, Me, Mine"
Lovely Rita
Oct 10, 2010 Lovely Rita rated it liked it
Shelves: beatles
Some good anecdotes. And his perceptions of Paul were right on with the recent bio of Paul I read. Does a good job of revealing the good and bad sides of George, both of which seem kind of extreme. (Some of the bad stuff is really bad, ditto about the good.) It's weird reading a bio like this that was written before the Pattie/Eric divorce, before the Anthologies, and before his cancer and death.

One nice thing is the interview where he talks about his son seeming to have musical talent. Especia
Maggie
Oct 10, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: beatles

Alex Rivas
Oct 13, 2011 Alex Rivas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst biographies I have read, the author excerpts from other Beatles books, quotes from newspaper articles and interviews. Not only the material that was collected is from a dozen other books but the few things that the author wrote are just uninteresting.

The only reason I did not abandon it, is because I am a huge Beatle fan and because I borrowed it form the local library.

Megan
Jun 17, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
I stopped reading this. It was basically a conglomeration of different Beatles/Harrison bios. Poorly written.
Stubear  Lovestar
Apr 17, 2016 Stubear Lovestar rated it it was ok
Whilst it starts off promising and appears to give off the veneer of being a labor of love, plenty in the text smacks of sensationalism and the author - dressed as a weird prohibition era press snoop on back cover - comes off as a shyster whose built his house regurgitating texts on The Beatles. George's questionable devotion to Hare Krishna is staunchly defended and seems to encompass the body of the work. Yoko Ono gets a very heavy drubbing that regardless of her characteristics just paints th ...more
Kat Hellchester
This is the first book about George I've read and I'm quite sad I chose this one. It's bad. Guiliano writes what other authors wrote in their books, it all seems quite superficial, huge parts missing, no details about his life (for example, on one page he's still with Patti and on another page he is suddenly married to Olivia). Many pages are dedicated to the religion but it all seems quite chaotic. Overall I didn't like George in this book at all and I'm not even in the mood to read something e ...more
Otis L Scarbary
Nov 18, 2016 Otis L Scarbary rated it liked it
Someone left this book in a place I stayed during a vacation week. Since I'm a Harrison fan, I picked it up and gave it a try. It's not particularly well-written and I didn't learn very much not already known, but it did have a few anecdotes that got me through. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures contained in the middle. This is by no means a thorough study of my favorite Beatle and one could say it's superficial. I'll be generous and give it three stars.
Rob Hermanowski
Oct 12, 2009 Rob Hermanowski rated it really liked it
A really good biography of the "quiet Beatle."
Jennie
Apr 18, 2007 Jennie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beatle's fans
Well, you have to want to know more about this less popular Beatle (George Harrison) to read this biography. The alternate view on this famous band's past is worth the brief read.
Karen
May 10, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
first book i read after landing on US soil. borrowed from Benn.
Jeff
Jan 14, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
It's hard for me to rate biographies. On one had, I'm interested in George and didn't hate the subject of this book, but it was poorly written and whatnot.
Ruth
Mar 13, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
ends with Roy Orbison's leaving planet
Travelling Wilbury's heaven-sent
more inside look at fame
John
Not my favourite biography/history.
C.G. Rucker
Feb 21, 2016 C.G. Rucker rated it it was amazing
First book I ever read!
Sweet
Jul 05, 2012 Sweet rated it did not like it
Poorly written and researched. George deserves better.
Lelisia
Lelisia rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Amy Herren
Amy Herren rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2011
Austin Ross
Austin Ross rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Corky Alexander
Corky Alexander rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2007
E
E rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2007
Sarah Poe
Sarah Poe rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2010
Grizzly Entertainment
Grizzly Entertainment rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2011
Ann Stevens
Ann Stevens rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2009
Peter Pinkney
Peter Pinkney rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
ASTRID
ASTRID rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2009
Ron Antonucci
Ron Antonucci rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2016
Matt Meuse
Matt Meuse rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • Highway to Hell: The Life & Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott
  • The Last Days of John Lennon: A Personal Memoir
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • Waiting for the Sun: Strange Days, Weird Scenes, and The Sound Of Los Angeles
  • Buried Alive: The Biography of Janis Joplin
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • Many Years from Now