Start by marking “Skeleton Crew (Lindsay Chamberlain, #4)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Crew (Lindsay Chamberlain, #4)

Skeleton Crew (Lindsay Chamberlain #4)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  376 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In 1558 a Spanish galleon headed for the New World loaded with supplies for the colonies sank off the coast of Georgia. Now, inside one of the largest cofferdams ever built for purposes of archaeology, Lindsay Chamberlain is excavating the site on the ocean floor. The new head of the division of anthropology and archaeology at the University of Georgia, Francisco Lewis, is ...more
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Crew

Barbara ★
Beverly Connor skillfully intertwines the past with the present in this tale. An archeological crew in 2000 is excavating a Spanish galleon sunk off the coast of Georgia in 1558. It's very interesting how the author switches up the action using a translation of a ships passenger's diary which details pretty much the entire voyage. The main character, Lyndsay Chamberlain, pinpoints certain discoveries with diary entries. It's really neat the way the diary coincides with what the crew is finding a ...more
Bigd_041555
Aug 29, 2015 Bigd_041555 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book - it deals with recovering a Spanish Galleon and uncovering the mystery involved in it's sinking, plus what is involved when recovering a ship wreck that is still submersed. Lindsay once again gets in "deep water", but manages to find the answers to most of the questions :)

Again there is a back story, but I didn't follow it too closely, because it was briefly covered in the main story.

2 thumbs up and 4 stars.
Gail
Jun 15, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Forensic anthropologist, academic, and bone expert, Lindsay Chamberlain is part of a team excavating a sunken Spanish galleon. A huge coffer dam has been constructed to hold back the Atlantic as the team excavates the wreck. Interspersed with the present day chapters, are ocassional excerpts from a journal of one of the ship's passengers. As present-day murder happens, the intricate dance of academic rivalry, treasure hunters and pothunters provide a complicated and interesting plot. Lindsay als ...more
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsay has a new nickname -- the Angel of Death -- and she does not like it very much. Trying to discourage its use, however, is difficult when, on a excavation trip to coastal Georgia, death happens. Normally searching for pirate's treasure would seem like a fun thing to do, and Lindsay is happy to be a part of an undersea dig to find the Estrella de Espana of the Spanish Galleon, which sank off the coast of Georgia hundreds of years ago. A blossoming relationship with John West (a supporting ...more
Marijo Hinton
Sep 07, 2015 Marijo Hinton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful as usual

I am so glad that I discovered Beverly Connor's books. I find them to offer great information about her field and provide terrific material to read.
Christina
Aug 24, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book....I refer to it as a archaeological mystery. Archaeologists are excavating a ship off of the coast of Georgia, which would seem like a very mundane task....but not in this case. The head of the project is hoping to find a silver galleon, or a lost ship with treasure, which of course leads to sabbotage and murder (both in the present, as well as in the past...over 400 years ago). It's a mixture of Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean. Stephen Spielberg, if you're out ther ...more
Monica
Mar 18, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another series I have enjoyed. Lindsay Chamberlain is an archaeologist and so there's usually a good dose of history along with the odd body that turns up. This time what's cool is that she is working on a dig of a Spanish galleon on the ocean floor. There's some kind of amazing contraption that keeps the ocean away so they can excavate the wreckage. She solves a mysterya associated with the crew of the ship along with the modern crime that occurs on location.
Gillian Wyckoff
Aug 27, 2010 Gillian Wyckoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite of the Lindsay Chamberlain novels. I wish there were more. This heroine taps into my love of forensic science, and archaeology, and keeps me entertained throughout her books. I like the characters, and the suspense is just enough and not over the top. I can believe the characters are going through what they are.. and it's never a case of, "Oh, here they go again.." as so often happens when you follow a particular character or series.
Brenda Kirton
Jul 27, 2012 Brenda Kirton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great forensic mystery. What they were able to tell from the bones makes sense. I really enjoy all the settings Lindsay ends up in. And the big traumatic scenes happen despite her best efforts not because of stupidity. I really like that in a heroine. This was the last on Beverly Connors books for me. I didn't track them all down in order. I really hope she writes a new book soon with Lindsay or Diane or someone new.
Barb
Aug 26, 2012 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this lindsay chamberlain, "nancy drew" type anthropologist working with the bones found on a spanish galleon lost at sea hundreds of years ago - but the ship is still in the ocean bottom, water held back by a cofferdam built by her love interest! that adds tension to the plot right away! good historic references - great read.
Chris Antenen
Sep 20, 2014 Chris Antenen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one had me pacing all over the place, from one century to the next, one crew to the next, one murder to the next and I got it all wrong in both centuries, even though the clues were there. Beverly Connor's mind is always two steps ahead, or should I say Lindsey's? Great read -- even though I don't read mysteries!
April
May 11, 2011 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books in this series yet. I absolutely loved the dual story lines again and the big discovery towards the end! Also, I was so pleased with her love interest in this story. I knew it was coming because I've read One Grave Less, but I was so glad to finally get to that part of the plot.
Jul 29, 2008 Jennifer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forensics
I was reading my mother's copy of this book, which she had taken out from her local library. Unfortunately, the weekend endeed, I returned South, and she returned the book. As a result, I have still read only about 1/2 of this book.

For what it is worth, I deeply enjoyed the half I read.
Ruth
Apr 16, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fff, mysteries, series
Joyce
Apr 23, 2016 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series is getting a little hard to read. Too much focus on the archaeology and not enough attention paid to the mystery story line and development of the main characters.
Jeffrey Hammerhead
Diving on a sunken galleon, my kind of book. A great read.
Beth
Nov 14, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another L. Chamberlain book -- a delightful read!
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Daniele
Daniele marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Karey Fullmer
Karey Fullmer rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Sara Dietterick
Sara Dietterick marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Courtney Amber Hill
Courtney Amber Hill marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
SAJ
SAJ marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Joni
Joni rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Kassandra
Kassandra marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Leland A Liddicoat
Leland A Liddicoat rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • These Boots Were Made for Strutting: And Stunning and Knocking 'em Dead
  • Death by Deep Dish Pie (Toadfern / Stain-Busting Mystery, Book 2)
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • Hog Wild
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #4)
  • Still Waters
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...

Lindsay Chamberlain (5 books)
  • A Rumor Of Bones (Lindsay Chamberlain, #1)
  • Questionable Remains (Lindsay Chamberlain, #2)
  • Dressed To Die (Lindsay Chamberlain, #3)
  • Airtight Case (Lindsay Chamberlain, #5)