Start by marking “Peace, Love And Healing” as Want to Read:
Peace, Love And Healing

Peace, Love And Healing

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  329 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Full of inspiring stories of patients who have achieved remissions and miraculous cures for illnesses such as mulitple sclerosis and cancer, Dr Siegel shows us how emotions such as love, hope, joy and peace of mind have strong physiological effects on each of us, as do depression and dispair. Peace, Love and Healing teaches us to be receptive to the messages our mind gives ...more
Paperback
Published March 7th 1991 by Arrow (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Peace, Love And Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace, Love And Healing

Rochelle
Apr 16, 2012 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
picked up this book in 2007 when my dad was dying of cancer along with a bunch of other books on grieving, loss and death. I had read his other book Love, Medicine and Miracles. However, I didn't read it. I bought it to give to my dad, but he didn't need it. He had put his affairs in order and he had made up his mind about how he wanted to exit his life. It stayed on my shelf, until this year. My husband of 38 years left. I was devastated by the loss of my life partner, someone I thought I would ...more
Jamie
Apr 01, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very insightful and helped me understand in a deeper way that there’s more to a disease than its physical aspects. I liked that he tries to empower readers and show that they can still exercise agency in spite of their seemingly incurable illness. In the book, he gives 5 questions that people should ask themselves – What does your illness mean to you? Why do you need your illness and what benefits do you derive from it, etc. It especially helped me see that the most important questi ...more
Aly
Oct 09, 2014 Aly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great motivating read

I have Crowing Disease and this book has helped me deal with my doctors appointments and fears that come with them. it has given me empowerment to take control of my treatment and I highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with chronic illness.
Rivka Levy
This was still good, and worth reading, but not the 'blow me away awesome!' of Love, Medicine and Miracles.

There was a touch more preachiness in this book (which is always difficult to avoid, especially when people are tracking you down in their droves for your advice), and it wasn't as raw and personal as Bernie's first book.

But still lots of good scientific research for anyone interested in the proof behind a more God-based holistic view of health.
Rosemary Brown
Jul 08, 2015 Rosemary Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Brown recommends anything by Bernie Siegel, whom she quotes in "Addiction Is the Symptom." She sees parallels between the healing she's been witnessing in her clients for many years and the "remarkable recoveries" of Siegel's cancer patients.
Fishface
This follow-up to LOVE, MEDICINE AND MIRACLES is more like a workbook or guide to get someone moving on the goals laid out in the previous book. It has the same benefits and flaws as the original book.
Nancy
Jun 24, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be suffering from a serious illness to get something good out of this book. I thought it was wonderful and gives people permission to be who they truly are. He also dispels the idea that just because our mental and emotional health play into our overall health does not mean we are failures because we get sick. His point is that we need to live life to the fullest with all it's ups and downs. That is our job. That is what we are here to do.
Cynthia
Jan 01, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am thinking my list of books read this year is going to be a dead giveaway to the type of year it was for me :). Having said that . . All the books I read we're a saving grace and I am SO grateful to have been guided to each one. Bernie Siegel has a wonderful way of explaining how to find a positive outlook on some of life's most difficult circumstances. I learned to really like him from the words he wrote.
Natalie
This was an excellent book on finding true healing. Siegel is a surgeon who gives his patients his care and believes that they can learn from their illness and find peace whether a cure comes or not. He also discusses the "placebo" effect and how effective it can be in curing illness. I'm amazed at his insight and the truths he has presented and the stories he shared from his medical practice. It was truly inspiring and I feel that it was useful for me personally, and also as I work as a natural ...more
Christian Guenette
Beautiful book, lovely man.
This book validated all the personal theories I had about the power of the body-mind connection to heal a person. Wonderful real-life examples of miracles witnessed first-hand.
Over the years, I have bought dozens of copies to give to my patients -- best example of hope I can give for anyone dealing with a serious health crisis. Thank you, Bernie!
Lynn Pribus
Oct 02, 2009 Lynn Pribus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As healing and loving as LOVE, MEDICINE AND MIRACLES. He takes great care to point out that some people interpreted his first book to mean that people make themselves sick, and he wanted to correct that thought.

Or at least the GUILT that people feel when they are sick, thinking they did something to cause or deserve it.

This man is a true mensch!
Susan
Jul 13, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. It has really helped me through my journey with lung cancer. My dearest friend Jo Newhouse recommended this book. She first read it when she was diagnosed with breast cancer at 40. That was 1974 And it is still widely read. It is not just for people going cancer.
Jess Macallan
Aug 20, 2012 Jess Macallan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written book on the power of healing, the mind/body connection, and the indomitable spirits of amazing people. Insightful, honest and powerful. I highly recommend this book for anyone who knows someone dealing with life-changing disease.
charlotte Phillips
This author was recommended to me by Mr. Rainville, and I am very grateful to him for that. Bernie gets a little cheesy on occasion, but he’s got some great points about the nature of healing. It’s been a fascinating read.
B. Campbell
Apr 27, 2013 B. Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr Siegel's theology is a little different from mine. Yet he has some wonderful advice of how to fight cancer. I'm glad his books were available to help me in my cancer battle.
Ganesh
Apr 18, 2007 Ganesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, favorites
My favorite line from the book: "Embrace each challenge in your life as an opportunity for self-transformation."
Woody
May 05, 2013 Woody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab x one that's definitely staying on the bookshelf as part of my tool kit xx
Kathie
Aug 27, 2008 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life. Thanks, Bernie! You are the best!
Tami
Jan 03, 2010 Tami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good at love, medicine and miracles
Joyce
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Isabelle Saussez
Isabelle Saussez rated it liked it
Margie Susong
Margie Susong rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Philomena Leon
Philomena Leon rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Mary Anne
Mary Anne rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Osama Qadi
Osama Qadi marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Cherie Bartlett
Cherie Bartlett marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
  • Anatomy of an Illness: As Perceived by the Patient
  • Timeless Healing
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • Take Care of Yourself: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Medical Self-care
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • The Lessons of Love: Rediscovering Our Passion for Live When It All Seems Too Hard to Take
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • Healing and the Mind
  • Close to the Bone: Life-Threatening Illness as a Soul Journey
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • Bus 9 to Paradise
  • Fit from Within: 101 Simple Secrets to Change Your Body and Your Life - Starting Today and Lasting Forever
  • Stop the Insanity
  • Madly Chasing Peace: How I Went From Hell to Happy in Nine Minutes a Day
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • The Fear Cure: Cultivating Courage as Medicine for the Body, Mind, and Soul

“Of course, we often think we have to get sick literally in order to get the rest or pleasure we need in our lives. Bobbie and I therefore taught our children when they were younger that if they needed a day off from school, they should just say that and take a health day, not a sick day. That made them look at life differently. I think all of us need to rethink our attitudes toward health and sickness.” 3 likes