Ireland (Notes from a Spinning Planet, #1)

Ireland (Notes from a Spinning Planet #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  43 reviews
It’s pretty humiliating to admit, but I’ve never flown in a plane before today. So wouldn’t you think that I’d be feeling pretty jazzed right now? Instead I keep grabbing onto these armrests as I ask myself why on earth I ever agreed to come on this frightening trip.…

Affectionately teased as a “country bumpkin,” nineteen year-old Maddie has never been one to explore new t...more
Published December 24th 2008 by WaterBrook Press (first published November 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ireland

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
80th out of 505 books — 491 voters
She Walks in Beauty by Siri MitchellThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzHead in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer
Best Christian Fiction Book Covers
265th out of 702 books — 609 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

Farm girl Maddie Chase has never gone anywhere. That’s why she jumps at the chance to travel to Ireland with her aunt Sid and Aunt Sid’s godson, Ryan. Aunt Sid worked at the peace camps in Ireland back when she was in college and is working on an article about where some of those kids she counseled years ago are today. Ryan’s mother—Aunt Sid’s best friend—recently passed away. Ryan’s father was from Ireland and he’s hoping to piece together some clues to his past. Maddie...more
Kjrstin
I picked up this book because of it being St. Patty's day. And I enjoy reading fictional traveling memoirs. I am also a fan of Melody Carlson, but this wasn't my of her's.

It's a light, "inspirational read", aimed at teens. I didn't find the book too suspenseful--it was easy for me to see where it was headed--but it was well written and fun. I had a hard time believing Carlson was not younger; she, like always, perfect's a young person's thoughts and mannerisms.

FYI: My favorite Melody Carlson nov...more
Sarah Rosenberger
This was a good choice for my first foray into Christian teen fiction, since I'm a fan of travel writing. Maddie, a 19-year old farm girl who has never left her home state, decides to accompany her journalist aunt on a trip to Ireland. While her aunt is busy researching a story on Peace Camps, an Irish institution that tried to ease tensions between Catholics and Protestants by having their kids play together, Maddie and her traveling companion Ryan spend their time exploring the country and try...more
Marty
Kelly
Emilie
Theresa
While I enjoyed this book, it wasn't quite what I expected. I would have liked for their to be a little more excitement and adventure, when in reality not a whole lot happened. It was very informative though. I learned a lot more about Ireland and their culture particularly the troubles they had (especially in the '70s) between the Protestants and the Catholics that I didn't know much about at all. Overall this book was interesting, but I had just hoped for more danger and intrigue involving the...more
Cynthia Heinrichs
I didn't realize when I picked this book up that it was a Christian book, so I was a little thrown when the protagonist had such a huge issue with people drinking beer and how the other characters reacted to her. Everyone was so nice to each other that there was very little tension. Once I got used to the idea that this was a very unworldly Christian girl who was going to learn something on the trip and in the book I read with that in mind. The book is aimed at a particular audience, one which m...more
$hanel
Finally Melody Carlson has written a book about Ireland! Notes from a Spinning Planet is about 18 year old Maddie who goes on vacation to Ireland with her Aunt Sid and Sid`s godson Ryan. The book describes Ireland as a beautiful place and boy do I wish I could visit there. In Ireland Maddie visits many cute Ireland shops and Ryan discovers that the drinking age in Ireland is 18 and up. Blah is what Maddie thinks! While Maddie and Ryan are discovering Ireland they both do seem to get closer and c...more
Elora
This was a fun read. Nothing too adventurous about it. Wasn't boring, but wasn't what I thought it'd be. This is a kind of book you read when you've just finished a whole bunch of really great books and can't find anything better at the moment...so you read this one. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Just not what I expected.

A few things that really bothered me at first was that Maddie kept getting completely bothered by people drinking. I understand some Christians aren't into drinking alcohol...more
This was awful. It was a waste of time, but I did complete it. The mini-tour of Ireland, a gorgeous and friendly country I have had the pleasure to visit, that Carlson provides was the only redeeming quality. Other than that, she is an awful author. Someone please explain to me how she's become a big name in Christian fiction. Her main character was very shallow and judgmental, yet presented by Carlson as the epitome of a teenage "Christian." If there was a plot, it was thin and lost my attentio...more
Books and Literature for Teens
This Diary of a Teenage Girl was different from the Kim or the Chloe series (haven't read the Caitlin series yet).
It was still good, but pretty edgy.
Sure, lots of girls have Maya's problem (in fact I know one), but I hear about it so much that I don't like to keep reading stuff about it.
Anyways, Maya's mother is an drug addict,her father's away on tour, and Maya wants to live on her own. But in doing so, she gotta learn the art of being humble.

It was a bit slow at times, but finishable (can I m...more
Bronte
This book was pretty good, and it was interesting how the author incorporated history and culture into the novel
Autumn
This was really sweet and fun!
I could really relate to Maddie, the Main Character.
Amanda Funnell
favorite Melody Carlson series! I wish there were more!
Tessa Hall
What I liked: I liked how the story took place in Ireland, and it was about a girl who has always lived mostly a sheltered life. I thought the characters were well developed. I also liked the suspense in this novel.

What I disliked: It wasn't exactly about God or anything, which is fine, but when a novel is under Christian fiction I usually assume that it's a story that contains a Christian message. It's just a clean story.

Other comments: I would recommend, especially if you're someone that like...more
This book started slowly, as the girl kind of annoyed me with her attitude. But, she calmed down a bit as the trip continued and she learned what it's like to be away from the family farm.

I enjoyed learning about Ireland and seeing Maddie's growth as she went through her first international adventure.

The book didn't make me want to travel like most novels about people making fun trips do. I guess I've got enough going on at home right now to keep me busy.
Serena
I liked this one it's hinting that there is a romance but you are not sure until the third book.
Jenne
Fine vehicle for young adults to learn about the complexity of the history of the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, and the rest of the UK. Protagonist has never flown or been out of the US before, and she's also rather irritatingly self-righteous about being a "Christian." But, she comes to some reasonable conclusions by book's end, and has her eyes opened to the world a little bit. Sturdy and informative story.
Kait
I loved this book, the aunt was a character i connected with because i want to be like her. I connected with Maddie because i'm kind of like her. THis was a different kind of book for me because it was more 'real life' and not so much fairytale and make believe but had to do with God and going out into the world and a guy and facing things you never have before. It was a great adventure and i really liked it.
Anna Gibson
This was an awesome book! I really want to go to Ireland now! It described Ireland so vividly I want to visit! The story was kinda a mystery, because it built up suspense without telling you what was happening, but then it never became an obvious mystery. I think any teenage girl should read it-I can't wait to find the next one!
Slumbering Rose
I really like the author's style, tone, and overall writing. I liked the sometimes quirky main character--she reminds me of myself, in a way--so I definitely want to continue with the series. But plot-/story-wise there wasn't much to the book. Still, if her other books make up on this, I think I found a new favorite author.
Alyssa
I really really liked this book! Maddie, the main character had a lot of the same personality, thinking style, and fears I do which made her relateable. The plot kept me on my toes by making me expect something different to happen when something else did instead. I can't wait to possibly check out the sequal to this book.
Kim
It was okay. Not, in my opinion, Carlson's best. To be honest, I found Maddie a tad bit annoying. The ending disappointed me, too; I was hoping she would write more about Ryan and Maddie. However, this book is a light, fun read. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Korrin
I just found this book at the library and thought it sounded good, so I gave it a try. I wanted to get into this book, but I had to stop after a while. It didn't really hold my attention plot-wise, and there were some things that didn't really need to be there, I thought.
Katelyn Shear
3.5 stars. It was okay, though the first half of the book seemed to be more of a textbook/debate on whether Christians should drink beer. A bit cliche, in my opinion. The second half is good, though.
Jenny
best book ever!!! read the whole series i wish they would make more to the series tho!!! out of all of them this is my favorite!!! read more by this author
Hannah
This was a bit better than the silly Papua New Guinea one I read a few weeks ago. Still the weakest of all Melody Carlson's series.
Natalia
This was a really good book! I love how Maddy doesn't know much, so you learn a lot about Ireland's history and it's just a good book.
Aasha
this was my favorite of the three books, this is also the first one. i lvoe the discriptions of the places and the story.
  • On the Loose (Katie Parker Productions, #2)
  • Love Rules
  • The Spring of Candy Apples (Sweet Seasons, #4)
  • Starring Me
  • Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #1)
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • It's All About Us (All About Us, #1)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)