Start by marking “Nice Girls Finish Fat” as Want to Read:
Nice Girls Finish Fat

Nice Girls Finish Fat

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The first book to explain why women with "too much on their plates" (literally as well as figuratively) have trouble losing weight.
Published June 2nd 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nice Girls Finish Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Girls Finish Fat

Kristie J.
Intriguing title and subject but this book didn't quite deliver. I was expecting some practical tips on how to assert myself with others to get my needs met in regard to food, such as asking my husband to hide his potato chips, saying no to food pushers, and sticking to my diet when visiting family. The entire book focused on the psychological analysis of nice girls (and guys) who eat due to the stress of putting everyone else first. Eye-opening concepts for a nice girl like me to read but few p ...more
Ann Douglas
While Koenig makes some valid points in this book, the book's premise is danced around rather than proven. (I was expecting references to journal articles and a discussion of the effects of stress on the body's biochemistry as opposed to the superficial and repetitive discussion provided here.) The case studies -- providing snapshots of the lives of women who are too self-sacrificing -- and the analysis of the role of family history in establishing unhealthy life patterns are the book's key stre ...more
Rhea
This book was great for me in the beginning but once it got to the final chapters it became less relevant to my life. I feel that the book held a lot of valuable information for me to apply to my life, but it also spent a lot of time blaming parents for womens weight problems. I am not saying that this can't be the case, but it just spent too much time talking on that topic, and any topic always came back around to the parents.
Maddy
This book was horribly written. I gave it 2 stars because it did have some good ideas but the presentation was awful. I ended up skimming the last half of the book just to finish. She wrote it like an infomercial. I wouldn't recommend anyone read it unless they truly are nice to a fault in every single thing they do.
Amy R
A great book for those that are "nice". After taking their self-analysis test, I am apparently not one of them. And, I'm perfectly ok with that! This book wasn't really what I was looking for. However, if you're a NICE person worried about your weight and eating habits, this book may be for you.
Orlagh
This doesn't give the whole story, but as a supporting argument for those of us who were brought up to believe that women support other people, put themselves last and generally don't say 'no'.....it's a good supportive read to some of the others on the list!
Janeene
2.5 stars - points out how that most individuals who take care of everyone but themselves, often find themselves overweight and with health issues, because we don't take time to care for ourselves.
Betsy
I thought this book was great for not only controlling what you are eating, but controlling your life. How to stop being such a giver and finally learning how to take care of your needs.
Michelle
Great book! Lots of new insight! I highly recommend this book even if you don't think you're a nice girl you'd be surprised that you really are!
Wendy Burbridge
Great book! If you've ever succumbed to temptation because you don't want to say no or hurt someone's feelings this book is for you!
Steffie
This book is incredible. So needed. She brings a new clarity and awareness to why some of us do what we do with food. Healing!!!
Betti White
Apr 19, 2012 Betti White is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Its good- interesting. Why would being nice correlate to weight gain- but it does! I'd recommend.
Jenny
Good book about the connection between food and emotions and the way you were raised.
Sharyn L.
Free kindle download. The chapters about work and stress are relevant to me.
Melissa

Had some good tips here and there. Overall, good self help book.
Psyduck
Psyduck marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Apr 28, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
May 10, 2015
Ponyo Emberheart
Ponyo Emberheart marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Dec 31, 2014
Patricia Gonzalez
Patricia Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Review that has become separated from book 3 167 Aug 13, 2012 06:29PM
Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed., is a therapist, educator, eating coach, national speaker, international author, and expert on the psychology of eating—the how and why, not the what of it—with 30-plus years of experience teaching chronic dieters and overeaters the skills that "normal" eaters use naturally to maintain a comfortable, healthy weight for life without dieting.
More about Karen R. Koenig...
The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Between! The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health Starting Monday: Seven Keys to a Permanent, Positive Relationship with Food What Every Therapist Needs to Know about Treating Eating and Weight Issues Warum Die Nettesten Frauen Am Schnellsten Dick Werden Gewicht Verlieren Und Freundlich Bleiben

“What you need is some balance in your life: to know when to say no and when to say yes, how to ask for help as easily as you give it, when to let other people live with the consequences of their choices, how to be honest with yourself (always) and forthright and direct with other people (most of the time), and why it’s important to give up striving to be perfect and accept your perfectly imperfect self.” 0 likes