Start by marking “Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)

Owlsight (Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,858 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Owlsight is the companion volume to Lackey & Dixon's most recent Valdemar novel, Owlflight, and follows the fortunes of Darien, who watched his mentor die as his own life was saved, and of the village he left, Errold's Grove--now safe from the barbarians under the watchful eyes of the Hawkbrothers--and of Keisha, a natural born healer, though not yet officially recogni ...more
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Owlsight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owlsight

Jeremy Preacher
Owlsight is definitely more solid than Owlflight - less drama, more interesting worldbuilding without the tedious flashback-driven backstory. We get a cameo by Kerowyn, and really awkwardly-placed references to the rest of the main Mage Storms characters, which is nice but clumsy, and otherwise it's just a fairly solid YA adventure.

My main gripe with this series is the bizarre-in-context patriarchal assumptions. In a country where there is no sexism at all in the ruling class, it's jarringly out
Andrea
Lackey is one of my favorite authors ever! I started reading her Valdemar series in 8th grade but I will still pull out her books to reread them. I also love her work so much that I never miss the chance to buy her new stuff. This series was her last full Valdemar series and I’m sad to say I almost wish she hadn’t written it. This whole series just fell flat for me and although, as always her characters were great, the whole work just felt a bit formulaic.
Chuck
Mar 10, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 25 in the quest to read 100 books in a year. This is the second book in the "Owl" trilogy, which has also been rebranded as "Darain's Tale.'

The middle book in the trilogy is always the toughest. Darian is now a young adult and has been fully adopted into the Tayledras or Hawkbrother clan; he has been undergoing training both as a warrior and as a mage. He has found a home . . .

More interesting is the introduction of Keisha, who, following the death of Justyn (in the first book in the tri
Matt H.
Jess Hale
Apr 09, 2016 Jess Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book in which nothing really *happens*, I enjoyed reading this.

I think this book is enormously self-indulgent - loving, extensive detail is given to the minutiae of daily life of Darian and new character Keisha. Unfortunately some of it IS a re-tread of things from book one in the trilogy, so reading them back-to-back the repetitive bits are a drag. However, it's just a NICE story to read.

The focus is really on character development, but that being said both Keisha and Darian start the bo
Aug 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Honestly, I was very disappointed with this book. The characters were good and the setting interesting and vividly described, but the story was lacking. I found myself waiting almost the entire book for the story to start: nothing exciting, dangerous, even interesting happened the entire first half or more of the book. The primary antagonist of the book was a plague that we knew nothing of until the end, that no main character died of, and that was apparently fairly easily Healed. Only one chara ...more
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
After four years of traveling, the Tayledras group returns to k’Vala, their home Vale, where Snowfire and Nightwind celebrate their wedding and Darian studies with an elderly Healing Master. He also enjoys getting to know the young people of the Vale (in at least one case, rather intimately.) But his thoughts are on the future: on a mysterious teacher he has been promised, and on his plans for k’Valdemar, the Vale he hopes will become a sort of Camp David for Valdemar and its Hawkbrother neighbo ...more
Jen A.
Jan 16, 2011 Jen A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, re-read
Keilani Ludlow
Sep 24, 2013 Keilani Ludlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, know that I am writing one review (mostly) for all the books in the series because if you like the first one, you’ll keep reading the rest.

I recently “rediscovered” Mercedes Lackey after a friend recommended one of her series. Waiting for the next book in the series to come in, I went to the library and pulled pretty much everything off the shelf that she had written and this series happened to be one I read before hitting author burn-out.

You can read any synopsis to find out what the ser
Bibliotropic
Jul 22, 2016 Bibliotropic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valdemar, fantasy
Annikka
Sep 04, 2010 Annikka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agata Salim
Nov 15, 2013 Agata Salim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Better paced than the first book, and yet...
Still disappointing. The book starts with Keisha, and I was like 'who is this??? Where are the bondbirds and grrryphon? Where is Darian?'
I want to know what happened to Darian--after all the hardships I went through in finishing the first book, now I get ANOTHER main character!? With another petty problems too, if I might add.

Right. Review, not rant.

It made a more interesting book, especially if it was the first of the trilogy, I believe it would piq
Ward Bond

### Amazon.co.uk Review

Orphaned when his trapper parents failed to come back from the forest one day, young Darian is resentful when apprenticed to the damaged magician Justyn. He sees little point in the few tricks he manages to learn, and what has magic done for Justyn save leave him under-employed, sick and despised in a remote village? Then half-human invaders take the town and Justyn dies heroically helping people escape while Darian looks on in horror. Lost in the forest, Darian is rescu

Victoria
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series provides one of the cornerstones of my reading history. After discovering her when quite young, I still follow new additions to the series - nearly twenty years later! I read and re-read these books over and over again throughout my youth, but I haven't re-read this series in its entirety in a long time - and never as an adult. There are some new books added to the series since the last time I read them, so this re-reading project is pretty exciting for me since ...more
H
Mar 14, 2015 H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was always my favorite book of the trilogy, and I think that stands true even now. I liked the juxtaposition of Errol's Grove and the Tayledras, and being able to see the good qualities of both, as the previous book mostly featured the good qualities of the Tayledras and the bad qualities of the village. They were more on an even footing here, with good points and bad points both.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 28, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valdemar Fans
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is the second book in the Owl Mage series, that began with Owlflight, so you should read that first.

I generally like Lackey's Valdemar books, and if you're new to them I'd start with the first published, Arrows of the Queen. They almost all deal with Heralds, a police/military force bonded to and partnered with "Companions," magical creatures in horse guise.

Heralds don't factor much in this particular trilogy though, but the Tayledras, featured in other stories, do, and for me that more t
Alayne
Jan 28, 2016 Alayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel to Owlflight, the scene is 4 years later and Darien has grown to be a man. This threatened to be a story that was very similar to the first one, but had a twist that took it in another direction altogether. Good plotting, good characterisation, as is usually the case from this author.
Annette McIntyre
Mar 21, 2016 Annette McIntyre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, valdemar
Darian Firkin has grown up quite a bit since the invaders tried to make slaves of his home village. No longer a reluctant student Mage, Darian has gone beyond what his teachers can now teach him and he waits impatiently for his new teacher.

Another great addition to the Valdemar books
Kathleen
One of the things I love best about these Valdemar books is that they often focus on a sense of duty, but usually that comes with the faint taint of nationalism. Yes, Valdemar is the best country ever--one founded by immigrants with the principles of religious freedom and cultural tolerance--but it can seem a little, well, nationalist on occasion. So centering this book on a young Healer whose oath of treating the sick transcends race and boarder as well as a young man growning up in two culture ...more
Mary
Mar 13, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, the writing style was much like the first book, which didn't really help how I felt about the book, but I thought it felt a bit less repetitive. Now whether that was just getting used to the style or actuality I'm not sure. Really, I plowed through just because I was curious enough about where the characters were going, and well truth be told I am just stubborn like that.

If I hadn't checked out this book along with the 3rd from the library at the same time, I probably would have passed on t
Quinn
Jul 24, 2016 Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was decent. Its what I like to call a bridge story. Something to connect to another story line. I found it entertaining. It was interesting how more factions were introduced to the plot.
Chris Noel
Jul 14, 2016 Chris Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of the Young adult trilogy. Darian is adopted into the Hawkbrothers. His bond bird is an Eagle-Owl. He studies magic and develops a romantic interest in a healer from his Valdemar village.
Vicki G
Apr 26, 2011 Vicki G rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, along w/ another reason I won't get into here, turned me off this author forever.
Besides my more personal reason for abandoning her books, this one had a gigantic error in it. One so obvious even I as a nonprofessional writer, could see it.
Then there was the part that was included for what seemed personal as opposed to professional reasoning. Sort of like when Ayn Rand, in Atlas Shrugged, has her character make a 70-page speech, which seems unrealistic to me; and that unrealism ruins
Trixie
Sep 12, 2014 Trixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
With the introduction of Keisha I am way more interested in the story now. And we finally get a look at what Healers in Valdemar actually do! New things are fun things!
Aerine
Mar 28, 2014 Aerine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No whiney kids now. Focused, professional, and from other than herald's points of view. We also get some old characters, one is Kerowyn, and the other would be a spoiler :)
Leah
Yup, just as pedestrian as it was in high school, and the Vale descriptions are still vivid enough to make me drool with wanting to live there.
Jo Oehrlein
May 30, 2015 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Darian's new Hawkbrother family has returned to its home Vale, k'Vala.

Errold's Grove has a new healer these days, Keisha. Keisha knows herb healing, but has no training in her Gift and no one around to help. She also is suffering as an unshielded Empath.

The Hawkbrother plans to create k'Valdemar near Errold's Grove are sped up by the approach of some Northern clan. Is this a recurrence of the Blood Bear incident from the end of Book #1? Lord Breon and the people of Kelsmkeep, the villagers, an
Jade Lauron
May 30, 2014 Jade Lauron rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
So far I'm much more pleased with this trilogy than I am with the Joust series. One more book to go; hoping it's as good as the first two.
Rebecca
Feb 04, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series, really enjoyed the whole story and plot line.

Also has great characters and builds up the world of valedmar even more.
Nisie draws
Apr 14, 2016 Nisie draws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darian and Keisha are both great characters and it was fun to watch them both grow and save the day!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #98 - Owlsight 1 1 Jun 17, 2015 02:11PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #84 - Owlsight 1 1 Jun 04, 2014 12:42PM
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Fifth Quarter (Quarters, #2)
  • Mindspeaker's Call (Ghatti's Tale, #2)
  • Power Play (Petaybee, #3)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Godslayer / Shadow Climber / Dragonrank Master (Bifrost Guardians, #1-3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)

“I'm so bad with people I can't even win an argument with myself.” 5 likes
“Anyone who thought this would be a weak point in the manor's defenses would have a rude surprise, shortly before coming down with a serious case of death.” 5 likes