Start by marking “The Death of Captain America: Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Death of Captain America: Omnibus

The Death of Captain America: Omnibus (Captain America, Volume V #6-8)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,028 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Leaping from the final pages of Civil War, this is the story that stunned readers, sent shockwaves through the entire Marvel Universe, and made news headlines worldwide! And the death of Captain America is only the beginning! In the aftermath of the fabled hero's assassination, Agent 13, Bucky Barnes, the Falcon, Black Widow, and Iron Man come together again in a desperate ...more
Hardcover, Omnibus, 464 pages
Published December 9th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Captain America

Cheese
Jul 01, 2015 Cheese rated it really liked it
So I thought this would be about the death of Captain America, but it's not is it, because that happened in the previous volume.

This is about how the world, his enemies and his colleagues react in his absence.

It's about fighting on for Truth and Justice and all that cheesy stuff, but it's interesting to see how Cap influenced the people around him, and how much of a loss he really is.

In this omnibus we see Bucky take up the mantle, because Tony Stark (now head of S.H.I.E.L.D) got a letter from C
TJ Shelby
Feb 03, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
Ed Brubaker has definitely propelled himself to the top of my Favorite Comic Author list. This book was almost a picture perfect blueprint on how to do a character transition of a major comic series. After reading this, I was almost instantly saddened that the Batman death and transition to Nightwing assuming the role of the Bat was left in the spastic hands of Grant Morrisson (admittedly, I'm not a GM fan). I suppose because I know the Steve Rogers is actually dead and that Brubaker has no inte ...more
Neil
This is essentially the 'book' (compilation) that Larry Hama turned into a novelized adaptation [sans issues 22-24]. I think it moves at a good pace, although the artwork definitely seems to change toward the end of this compilation. I cannot say the artwork was as good as what was found in the 'first' omnibus collection. It still moves at a fast pace; it has political intrigue, double agents, compromised agents, super heroes, different 'Captain Americas', a man learning to bear the weight of th ...more
Keith Bowden
Dec 06, 2009 Keith Bowden rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, hero, collection
This really does work as a single novel and not just a collection of 18 issues. (At first I'd been upset that the volume does not go up to #50 or contain the 5-issue aftermath/wake/reaction mini-series.) And while we're biding our time awaiting the return of the real Steve Rogers, Brubaker is giving us a hell of a ride, as anticipated.

I maintain that Captain America is about more than the costume, rather about Steve Rogers, the man looking at the world through the idealized eyes of a man out of
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
This is not as good as the groundbreaking volume that precedes it, but it's still great and worth a read. There is a bit of an overlap with the first volume, as Captain America 25 is reprinted in each, but that makes sense, and the issue is so pivotal that it's necessary to set the tone for what follows. And what follows is a cast of fascinating supporting characters who mourn in various ways and deal with the huge void left by the death of a larger-than-life hero. The Red Skull moves forward wi ...more
catechism
Jan 10, 2014 catechism rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Holden Attradies
Oct 21, 2011 Holden Attradies rated it it was amazing
Not only was this a pretty darn good Captain America story, but it was a REALLY good follow up to Civil War. In fact, I felt it was written in a style that I could read them back to back and feel pretty much like I was just reading two parts of the same story.

The art work was solid all the way through with a few stunners here there. The story made a pretty full use of Captain America's long history with a great use of characters that have come and gone from his history. I know that with some of
Zoli
Jul 18, 2011 Zoli rated it it was amazing
I got into Captain America only recently and read only one book by another author, but Ed Brubaker's been doing an amazing job with his run. "The Death of Captain America" takes a story line already great to the next level. Having started following Cap only months ago, I can't say what Steve Roger's death meant to long time followers. To me, it's simply an amazing story line that I'll continue reading to see what the future holds for Cap...
Rob
As a kid I always thought Captain America was kind of hokey probably because I didn’t grow up in America or during a time of war. As I got a little older I found it to be a little too heavy handed, taking itself perhaps a bit more seriously as it attempted to retain its older fan base and not pander to newer readers. That is sort of how I found this compilation, taking itself a bit more seriously than I need from an enjoyable escapist fantasy read.
Dan
Dec 28, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Omnibus Volume 1 started off strong, only to lose some of its luster due to a company-wide crossover. This collection is a mirror image, with the latter issues freed from the constraints of yet another huge "event." Ed Brubaker doesn't quite capture the magic of Volume 1's initial issues, but the story successfully mixes superhero action with politics, espionage, and current events. Steve Epting's art is excellent throughout.
Sean
Dec 13, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Some how Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting were able take Bucky (once believed to be one of the lamest characters) to replace an assasinated Steve Rogers as Captain America and it comes off amazing. The art is incredible, the plot has so many twists without being out of the realm of comic book possibilities, and its all fantastic. I don't know how this could have been any better!! Great stuff!!
Don
Mar 29, 2015 Don rated it liked it
This one fell flat for me. It was cool seeing Bucky take over the shield for Cap, but other than that this one was mostly slow moving and didn't go anywhere. Lots of leads and speculation but very little movement. Hey, they can't all be classics. Don't understand how Rolling Stone rates this #1 in pop culture category though. Hope the third one gets better and this story arc goes somewhere.
John
Apr 25, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Fascinating that while Brubaker is much more interested in writing Bucky, I actually preferred his take on Steve. Still, he manages to integrate the character into the wider universe in a way that rarely feels forced or Wolverine Appearance-esque. Take note other writers ahem*DanSlott*ahem
Travis
May 11, 2011 Travis rated it liked it
A good story though not nearly as epic as it was meant to be. Cap's back already so it's kind of fruitless. Also the way he dies is kind of lame. But a fun read none the less, minus the fact that someone is in tears on every single page, and not because of Cap's Death either.
Candace Perry
It was fine. I don't know why, but it really didn't hold my attention. Not to say that is was a bad comic - by no means. But I could not get into it. I'd like to have Kevin read it, maybe with his insight I would get into it more.
Silas
Apr 09, 2014 Silas rated it it was amazing
The rabbit hole just keeps going deeper, and Bucky finally takes on the role of Captain America. There are some twists and turns I didn't know about, and while there is an interesting tonal shift, the story that has been hinted at for dozens of issues is finally starting to take shape. Quite good.
Josef Horký
Dec 22, 2015 Josef Horký rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bavilo. Smrt Captaina Ameriky mohla být sice lépe emocionálně prodaná, ale jeho nástupník je přinejmenším stejně zábavná postava, jako Cap sám. A Brubaker umí.
Paul
May 15, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
More like 4 1/2 stars. Brubaker is cementing his position as my favorite graphic novelist.
Simon
Feb 26, 2015 Simon rated it really liked it
More goodness.
Emily
Dec 25, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, comics
This isn't a real review because TOO MANY FEELINGS. But hey guys, this was really good.
Ernest
Dec 02, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it
A lot going on here, from the death of Cap to Bucky taking on the role. There's even a sequence where 2 Captain Americas are fighting.
Julie B.
May 21, 2016 Julie B. rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not as good as the first 24 issues, but still very enjoyable!
Stephen
Nov 11, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok
Brubaker and Guice - love 'em. Editorial decision to kill Captain America (and then bring him back 12 issues later) -- Me no likey.
Sebastiaan
Sebastiaan rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Dave Corvin
Dave Corvin rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
Csobs
Csobs rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2010
Bart
Bart rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Abdullah Shamsi
Abdullah Shamsi rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Britt
Britt rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • New X-Men: Omnibus
  • Annihilation: Conquest, Book One
  • Gotham Central Book Three: On the Freak Beat
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles
More about Ed Brubaker...

Captain America, Volume V (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Volume 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Volume 2
  • Civil War: Captain America
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Volume 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face