Start by marking “What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child” as Want to Read:
What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  83 reviews
In these times of enormous stress on families, where can we find down-to-earth help for raising our children?

Declaring that the scriptures are the Lord's handbook for families, father and author S. Michael Wilcox applies in What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child his considerable scriptural knowledge and practical insight to the subject of parenting.

Through exam
Published August 22nd 2009 by Deseret Book (first published August 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child

Tara
Dec 28, 2009 Tara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: 2009, church
I really liked the focused perspective of raising children Wilcox provides from scriptural stories and understanding. While not all the ideas he presented we new to me, combined, they did help me to look at raising my daughter (and soon to be daughters) in a new light. Mostly it helped me see where I need to be more committed to the gospel. One of my favorite ideas he highlights is that of raising children based on the "principles of righteousness." He tells of his primary experience where he wa ...more
Ane
So this was between 4 & 5 stars. I enjoyed the book. I had little "ah-ha"! moments in each chapter but there were also chapters that I didn't feel pertained to me. But excellent insight. Great book! Highly recommend! (plus my 3 year old thinks he's on the cover :-))
Stacey
This book was not super entertaining.
But it was very thought provoking.
I read at night in bed, and I would like to read this book again; but I think that I will combine repeating it with my regular scripture study. S. Michael Wilcox is clearly very knowledgeable of the scriptures and some of the Old Testament references he made were unfamiliar to me. And I'd like to be able to look those references up and read the stories along with background information, and then read some of his examples an
Jill
This book changed the way I look at the scriptures and at myself. Mr. Wilcox offered hope for parents with difficult children and for children with difficult parents. ;) he illustrates, through scriptural examples how God has given us parenting advice in many different settings: Adam and Eve and Cain, Abraham who was raised in one of the oat wicked settings and yet became one of the most righteous men to ever walk the earth, Lehi who was concerned for his grandchildren because of the prejudices ...more
Cami
Like other books and talks by Brother Wilcox, this book is so rich with scriptural depth that I had to absorb it in small doses. I would give it 5 stars but I feel like I need to read it again before I understand what he was teaching. He can make even the most obscure scriptural characters relate to your situation because he has studied God's word so deeply, but sometimes I felt like it was over my head. Just about every page (sometimes more than once on a page) had me thinking, "That is so true ...more
Angela
Amazing. A must-read for every parent. Even those who aren't Christian or religious will appreciate the truth of his points and how Wilcox applies the scriptures to parenting. It was neat to look at some scripture stories through the lens of parenting, too. Often we think of the regular scripture story application first and then sometimes notice new details, but Wilcox points out the parenting truths evident in these stories and it gives them a whole new meaning. I've learned to appreciate scrip ...more
Kelly
I checked this book out at the library and I am really glad I read it. I am think I am actually going to have to buy a copy and use it as a reference book. Profound, but very simple. If we just use the scriptures as our parenting book, we can't possibly go wrong.
Rachel
Wonderful and insightful book. I appreciate the new meaning he brought to familiar scripture stories and verses.
Kristine
I appreciated his insights. It was helpful to see how he used scripture to show different aspects of parenting.
Courtney
I always feel bad when I don't like a church book because I feel like I should. In general, I'm not a fan of self-help type books. This one definitely had some good moments, but overall I found it extremely dry. The stories were not engaging and I got lost at times. Also, I get especially irritated when an author of a self-help book gets on their soap box to preach to me.

I read a book not that long ago about "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen..." and it was interesting that these two books had som
Teresa
Like my other favorite LDS perspective parenting book, this book reminds parents one of their most important purposes is to turn their children to God. I appreciated the sub-topics this book contained and it inspired me to make changes in my own parenting as I was reading it. I started marking passages I wanted to refer back to with post it notes, but there were so many by the half way point I ended up just buying the book! Definitely one I will read again, setting goals and making notes as I go ...more
Bonnie Hopkinson
Jul 02, 2013 Bonnie Hopkinson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS parents
This was an incredibly insightful application of scriptural truths to parenting. The principles and stories Brother Wilcox reviews granted me several "ah-ha!" moments. Some concepts brought freshness to scriptures that I hadn't considered before. But I feel that it gave me several tools and brought to my mind the importance of sharing uplifting things with my children and raising them with love. I genuinely recommend this book to any LDS parent. You will be glad you read it.
Teresa
I have read so many books on parenting- wish I could have began with this one! I should've guessed the scriptures had all the answers, but would've never been able to piece it together as beautifully as Michael Wilcox did. What a gift he has. (I took a few institute classes from him in college and am still in awe from all I learned from him!)There are scriptural passages I've read countless times, that now have new meanings for me as a parent.
Leighanne
I LOVE this book! I believe that I will need to read this many times as a mother for the next 20+ years. It is wonderful to see how many experiences in the scriptures there are about teaching children things of the Lord. I felt the spirit with every word that was written. It is a book that makes a parent hopeful about how they are doing and teaches without discouraging. I am definitely going to read this again and again.
Molly Jae
Before reading this book, I truly considered whether or not I could take what it might say without a lot of guilt. Because I have children that are older and out of the home or close to it, it's a little depressing to read on this topic and find out everything I've done wrong. However, I love Michael Wilcox and hoped to continue to learn and become a better person and was richly rewarded by his insights.
Mashell
I learned so much from reading this book. It is one I will re-read often because there is so much information I need to learn again and again. I have read the scriptural accounts S. Michael Wilcox refers to in this book but I have never applied them to me as a parent. It has made me a more patient, loving mom because I have a larger view of my responsibilities and some great examples to look to in the scriptures!
Tiffany
I love that I live in Provo and can get books like this at the library. This book had some wonderful insights that I had never considered before. I just might buy this book. It had a way of making you feel like you were doing great and not making you feel bad about the places where you may have failed, but lifting you up and making you feel like you have the ability to be better- and we do!
Mandy
I love this book. Full of wonderful insights from the scriptures about raising good and righteous children. My favorite passage talked about magnifying the Lord and how as mothers we act as a magnifying lens to our children, illuminating certain things and expanding their vision. Wilcox writes "A mother's soul is a lens through which a child almost always first sees God."
Sarah Grass
I should read more books like this. I shared several parts with my husband. Nothing new, just lots of good reminders of how to love and help my children. I especially liked the parts on varying discpline (p 64), correcting without harshness, being without guile, and persuasion.
It's a short book and one I could reread every year for a refresher.
Casey
I loved how Wilcox used scriptural parents like Lehi and Alma as examples of how to raise our children. Instead of just quoting a scripture verse and saying "this is what the scriptures tell us we should be doing," he chose actual parenting techniques from the scriptures and pointed out how those righteous parents handled certain situations.
Jackie
Jun 21, 2010 Jackie added it
This is an inspiring book on learning from the scriptures how to ‘raise a child’ unto the Lord. So many passages that I pass by often in the scriptures in which this book helped me to take a closer look at in really understanding and learning from them. I made lots of notes that I’ll keep on my bedside to refer to often and improve upon.
Sebrina
This is one of those books I will read over and over. It's my first book by Michael Wilcox and I will definitely start collecting him now. He brings scriptural parenting examples so beautifully to the surface. It wasn't so much new information as it was a new mentality and perspective we nned to have as parents. I love it!
Stephanie
I loved reading What the Scriptures Teach About Raising a Child. It was full of great insights. Some things are useful now and others are more relevant to future parenting, but it's wonderful to have these doctrinal insights in my pocket to help me be a more prepared, loving parent and keep our home full of the spirit.
Amy
I really liked this book. Of course, I LOVE Michael Wilcox! But the chapters are short. It's a short book anyhow. And the way he uses stories from the scriptures to show me how I should treat not only my children, but others, is amazing! Some stories I would never connect to parenting! Quick read!
Hilary Roberts
This was a great book! The author gives examples of parenting from the scriptures and tells what we can learn from that example. There are lots of really good parenting nuggets throughout the book. I ended up taking notes. Great book for helping you keep perspective with all the parenting ups and downs!
Stephani
This is a book to be read slowly to allow time to internalize. This book stays in my car and I read a portion everyday while waiting to pick up the kiddos from the bus stop. It's proven to be a good read to put me in the right frame of mind when the after school chaos starts. Wonderful so far.
Katie
A great book to help you focus your parenting based on the eternal principles found in the scriptures. I learned so much from stories I had read before but had never looked at them from a parenting perspective. It's a book I feel I could reread tomorrow and gain more insight from it.
Cindee
I really enjoyed the beginning of the book and found many insightful stories that I referenced in my Marriage and Family Relationship class. If time permitted I would have shared more with my class. It dragged a little towards the end but overall I would recommend this book.
Heidi
This was a book club read. I have a harder time getting into non fiction so this started out slow for me. But the book club discussion about it was fantastic. Loved bouncing around gospel related parenting ideas and theories with women I look up to and share my beliefs.
Stephanie C.
I wish I had this book 10 1/2 years ago-before my kids were born!!!!!!
I am going to reccommend this for our church's summer reading book.
Bro. Wilcox was my institue teacher at the U, and I have to say I like his writing even more than his teaching!
  • Behind Every Good Man: [Helping Your Husband Take Spiritual Lead at Home] Helping Your Husband Take the Spiritual Lead in the Home
  • The Promise of Enough: Seven Principles of True Abundance
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • A Mother's Book of Secrets
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • Women of the Old Testament
  • Eve and the Choice Made in Eden
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of Arizo ...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...
Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale - Martyr, Father of the English Bible House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits 10 Great Souls I Want to Meet in Heaven