Best Castles: England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales: Over 100 Castles to Discover and Explore

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  2 reviews
The Ultimate "Glove Box" Guide for Visiting Britain and Ireland's Greatest Architectural Treasures

* Illustrated with 350 color photographs of magnificent historical treasures�from early fortifications to later castles

* Researched and written by an experienced field-guide team

* Includes the most up-to-date information independently verified by each castle's own officials

* M...more
Published October 10th 2006 by David & Charles Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Best Castles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Castles

Karen!
This book gets mad props for being so well researched, but also so very readable and--most importantly--pretty! The authors (more aptly research team) does a fantastic job of narrowing down the list to the must sees. The book is arranged in sections, first giving an historical timeline of events relevant to Castles in the United Kingdom, and then giving a brief overview of each era, to help identify key architecture as well as culture.

While many readers will use this as a travel guidebook--mysel...more
Penny
I loved reading about one hundred castles in England, prior to my vacation there. I hope my visit will be enriched by this research; I learned about the history, and location, of many sites which helped me select an itinerary.
Mary Rose
Mary Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Soph
Soph marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2012
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Al
Al added it
Jan 09, 2011
Sam
Sam added it
Nov 07, 2010
Fjeronimo
Fjeronimo marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2010
Veerle
Veerle marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2010
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2009
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2008
The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland Castles: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland: The Definitive Guide to the Most Impressive Buildings and Intriguing Sites The Dorling Kindersley History Of The World The History of Scotland Castles of Britain and Ireland: The Ultimate Reference Book: A Region-By-Region Guide to over 1.350 Castles