Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1)

Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  8,364 ratings  ·  522 reviews
Defense attorney Kim Fraser has to venture into the dark and dangerous Shiftertown to get answers for a client accused of murder, but the secrets she learns from the enticing lips of Liam Morrissey might just get her killed if the shifter doesn't claim her for his mate.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 26th 2010 by Leisure Books

Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
97th out of 1,369 books — 9,214 voters
Cry Wolf by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsSlave to Sensation by Nalini SinghBitten by Kelley ArmstrongDragon Bound by Thea Harrison
Werewolf and Shifter Romance
11th out of 550 books — 722 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
It's important to remember, before you recommend a beloved book to me, that I am a salacious hellspawn deposited onto this earth for the express purpose of destroying all that you love and violating that which you hold most dear.

Pride Mates is a strange concoction of 3 parts instaloving alpha male, 2 parts nonsensical female MC and half a part of shaky world-building. Put them all together and they just kind of distill into a boring muckwater that you neither want to drink - or pour out into th...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Where can I find an "I LOVE LIAM" bumper sticker?

Pride Mates was a great start to a new series! The introduction into the Shiftertown world and hierarchy was interesting and never boring, which is no small feat for the first book in a series. The way the characters were developed and introduced into the story made me feel like I was meeting new friends, and not reading a who’s who of the Shifter world.

I loved Liam! I loved him so much that I want an I LOVE LIAM bumper sticker. He was such an aw...more
Catherine
*Originally Read 12/5/10*

After accidentally leaving a book I was reading at work I was restlessly prowling my shelves when I came upon this. I'd heard some pretty good things about the book and I enjoyed some of this author's other books, so I figured I'd finally give it a go. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it unfortunately didn't thrill me as much as it did some of my friends.

The premise of the book was one of the most interesting parts for me. I really liked the society the author describ...more
The Holy Terror
Before you get discouraged by my two star rating I just want to say that I will be reading the next installment when it comes out. There were just enough unique ideas that the author came up with that I want to continue reading. This series has a good premise but it's literally oozing with the cheesy trappings of the paranormal romance genre.

District Attorney Kim Fraser has a Shifter murder case dumped in her lap. The Shifter had a human girlfriend who got killed and he's blamed for it even thou...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I loved this book! Kim is a defense attorney who drew the short straw and is defending a Shifter named Brian. Kim goes to Liam, the second in command of Shiftertown, TX and holds her own on a virile, hot Shifter male. They are all Collared, but what if someone wanted his off? what would happen? Liam claims Kim as his mate, and she wants him, but not all this mating business. Too bad her heart has other ideas. She falls in love with him and they take down Fergus, the clan leader and all around as...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
"No Shifters Allowed!" - That's exactly what fascinated me in this book, this racist mentality both in law and society in general. Legally shifters aren't able to get high paid jobs or buy luxury items. Proprietors are allowed to ban shifters from their premises and racism against them is tolerated because they're "animals".

They're an oppressed people forced to wear collars that suppress their more aggressive animal personality traits and when they think about or are about to act out violence,...more
Beanbag Love
I've had this on my Kindle so long I nearly forgot about it. Years! But I finally cracked it this weekend and I'm kicking myself for not getting on board earlier.

First an admission. I love shifters. I'm more a shifter girl than a vampire girl. Vampires -- usually -- are dead. That kind of bothers me. Oh, I can get over it for Bones, Spade, Vlad and Mencheres, but mostly ... ew.

That said, not every shifter story is good. I've read a lot of stinkers, which has made me leery of starting anything n...more
Gina

OMG OMG OMG!!! I have been looking for a paranormal series to get into and I finally found it! I have had this book forever and have been ignoring it, what an idiot i was! This is my first shifter book as well, so I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a non-stop, heart racing, lots of hot steam sex and OMG swooning, I love these two story!

Let's start with Liam....Liam....OMG....Liam! I love this guy, he is a true leader, strong (mentally and physically), compassionate, fair, loyal. And of...more
Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
I simply loved this book. It has everything that I enjoy in a good paranormal romance. Let me give you a small list; some violence,(lets just say this book is not for the faint of heart in some parts), some humor, a mystery, excitement, sizzling hot sex, and a shape shifting world unlike I have never read before.

Here is a small list of things I liked; Liam and Kim have the right amount of sizzle, each is stubborn at times, then they are totally working together in their romance. So you don’t ge...more
Holly
I thought this book was absolutely wonderful!! I am a huge Shifter fan, but this book was more than just Shifters. It was a wonderful story about love and family! I loved the characters, their strength and their vulnerability. This book made me cry and laugh right out loud, I can officially say I am in love with a big Fae-Cat named Liam!! LOL :) But I truly can't believe I have to wait over 7 months for Sean's story (which sounds phenomenal btw!)
Wendy
Wow, I love Jennifer Ashley's writing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it has a great storyline and hot alpha males, that are guaranteed to make your toes curl ;) What more can you ask for?
Cindyg
I really enjoyed the first installment of Shifters Unbound. I liked the characters, found them engaging, honest and loyal. Liam...what a shifter...
The story moved at a good pace and I was able to understand the world Ms. Ashley developed without all the extra explanations. It kept my attention and was an easy read.
Oh and there is wonderful lovin, raw, and sensual sex scenes which I think were done very well.
I am looking forward the next book in the series. I hope it's Sean's story.
Highly recomme...more
Mandi Schreiner
Twenty years ago, shifters came out to the public and since then, they have been portrayed as wild, reckless creatures that have limited rights and are discriminated against by many humans. If they don’t want to face immediate death, they must were a fae-made collar, one that expands when they shift so it is always on them. This collar supposedly keeps the shifters from acting violent, giving them severe pain if they cross that line.

Kim Fraser is an attorney who has been handed a shifter murder...more
Lauren
Pride Mates
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Scorned and feared, shifters are believed to be animals in human form and are kept on the fringes of society. Assigned to defend a shifter on murder charges, up and coming defense lawyer, Kim Fraser, is in over her head and seeks the help of shifter leader, Liam Morrissey. Liam’s charm and wit cannot conceal the undercurrents of power that characterize him and Kim will need his strength and protection both to unravel the mystery and for her very survival.

Review:
An inte...more
Steffi
Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley is a surprisingly new and refreshing take on the shifter world.
I half expected some run-of-the-mill story with growling alphas trying to dominate their mates by... surprise surprise...having wild monkey sex.

Of course, Liam and Kim do have lots of sex but this new paranormal world is anything but ordinary. Humans have officially acknowledged shifters but to keep them under control all that are able to turn into something furry have to wear a collar to keep their b...more
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1) by Jennifer Ashley

Jennifer Ashley introduces us to a new and unique view of Shapeshifters in Pride Mates, the first book in her Shifters Unbound series.

This bool takes us to Austin TX where Kim Fraser is a DA assigned to defend her client, a shifter, in a murder case. Shifters had made their presence known to the world and 20 years ago they were given collars to control their animal instincts and keep them in line. The collars, made by a 1/2 Fae and half human,...more
chucklesthescot
This is the typical paranormal romance involving smart human girl falling for sexy dangerous shifter. It was well written, not over-descriptive and a decent fluffy read if you want to gloss over a few things. Another plus point were the side characters of Glory, Dylan, Connor and Sean.
Kim, honey you are meant to be smart but you decide to stand in a room full of hostile shifters and mouth off to the Alpha which could get your lover and his family killed? You were thinking 'Liam just shut her th...more
Jill
Having just finished The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie I moved on to a totally different sort of Jennifer Ashley book. It was very hard, and I feel I felt less moved about this book because the previous hero was just amazing (oh Ian I wish you every happiness with Beth)

However in saying that, this was a very enjoyable book with a totally different way of looking at shifters in the world. Segregated and declined basic things (higher education for one) just because of the way they are born, this b...more
Kenya Wright
Absolutly loved it! It wasn't classic literary art! But I was entertained, enjoyed the characters, etc. The mystery was kind of simple, but I didn't care about solving it. The hero and heroine was the focus! "Top of the morning to you!" one of my favortie scenes!! Loved the book and I will definetly be reading more in this series.
Barbara ★
Irish born Liam Morrissey is a feline shifter (some kind of Fae cat cross-breed) and the go-to guy for the clan. I liked Liam from the first sentence he uttered. He is beyond contrary but in a nice Irish brogue kinda way. He's immediately intrigued with human lawyer, Kim Frasier, though relations with humans is frowned upon. He's instantly protective and overly friendly but then again all shifters are very huggy kind of people. I also liked Kim she's the lawyer trying to get another shifter out...more
Anja
I accidentally stumbled over that series and after reading the plot I was like:"Shifters. Sounds like my kind of thing.". I wasn't wrong at all.

I like the world that was created, gave me a bit of a X-Men vibe. With the shifters to fit in the world, but denied the same rights as humans, because they think they're dangerous and as we've learned through the course of the book they can be very dangerous.

I like the shifterworld and the contrast of the human world, trying to co-exist and the author...more
CaroB
4 stars for the world building, 3 stars for the romance/ character interaction = 3.5 stars total.

I think this is the first shifter book I've read where the world has them as the underdogs, not superhumans with special powers; they are segregated and discriminated against by the human world, in a way that to me seems reminiscent of the African-American communities of the 1950's and 60's. This premise, as awful as it is, made a strange sort of sense to me in this scenario, because most humans fear...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
First a Human Lawyer Kim, comes to a shifter bar to talk to a man who is in the know about shifters. Liam - hot faecat shifter. He talks to her and offers her protection because shifters don't like humans... well, kinda sorta... She is defending a shifter Brian who is in prison for murder & she needs witnesses etc. No one wants to talk to her.

Things happen & she is blindly mated to Liam. This book describes the rules and ways of shifters etc., and has so many things going on that are di...more
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Traci Odom - Narration 3.75*s

Interesting ... is this a new spin on the Virgin Hero? ... having never hit the sheets as a "human" - not even kissed a woman in a sexual way, and he's surprised by tongue when he does? This author brought us The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and I love PNR so I had to try it.....

Reviewed for AAR's Speaking of Audiobooks - http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=7644

I had a $10.00 credit at Audible and Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley fell within that price range...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Shifters with a difference...Fresh take on the shifter story..one you don't want to miss.

Description:

ALL OF THE WILD
To most, they are animals even when in human form. They are to be collared and kept on the fringes of society, scorned because they are feared, hated for their extraordinary powers. And attorney Kim Fraser has to go right into the heart of their lair.

It is her job to defend those in need. But there is absolutely nothing defenseless about Liam Morrissey. His soft Irish lilt and fel...more
D.B. Reynolds
If you love Shifter stories, and I certainly do, you will love these books. Super sexy alpha male shifters, plus the occasional alpha female shifter, too, and lots of alpha humans to join with them. Ashley has created a fascinating Shifter society, blended it into the human world---or not, which the human government would prefer---and written wonderful stories. And best of all there are 5 novels and 6 novellas all lined up to read already, with the 6th novel due out next year.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

Maybe its because I had low expectations based upon the prequel I read but I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. The world building was interesting. The story was a bit thin but I liked the shape shifter characters and Kim enough to make up for it. Will definitely read the next one in the series.
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. I am docking 1/2 a point because some of the PNR elements were cheese-tastic. But, I still loved the book regardless ;)
Brandy *Ahviel*

It s her job to defend those in need. But there s absolutely nothing defenseless about Liam Morrissey. His soft Irish lilt and feline grace can t disguise his sheer strength. Nor can the silver chain at his throat, designed to control the aggression...more
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Rapture Untamed (Feral Warriors, #4)
  • Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
  • Unbound (Time Hunters, #2.5; Shifters Unbound, #4.5)
  • Eternal Hunter (Night Watch, #1)
  • Primal Law (Alpha Pack #1)
  • Blood Law (Blood Moon Rising Trilogy, #1)
  • Hour of the Lion (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #1)
  • Mate Set (Mating Heat, #1)
  • Beauty Dates the Beast (Midnight Liaisons, #1)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley has lived and traveled all over the world, and now lives in the Southwest. She writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jennifersromances.com, http://www.allysonjames.co...more
More about Jennifer Ashley...
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (Highland Pleasures, #2) The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3) Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2) The Duke's Perfect Wife (Highland Pleasures, #4)

“He looked like a man who'd invite you to rest your head on his shoulder while he made everything bad go away.” 18 likes
“The house swallowed them. Dylan put his hands on Kim's and Liam's shoulders. "The Goddess bless you both." He kissed Kim's forehead. "Thank you Kim."

He smiled and walked away. Liam watched him, his heart full.

"Is he thanking me for getting pregnant?" Kim asked. "It wasn't difficult, with all the sex we kept having. You did as much as I did.”
10 likes