Start by marking “Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real Peoplein the Real World” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An all-new collection of delicious, simple vegan dishes using easy- to-find, readily available ingredients-going vegan has never been easier.

The author of The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen shows readers how to use readily-available ingredients to create healthy, delicious, simple, low-cost, and elegant family vegan meals, including:

?More than 225 meat-free, egg-free, da
Published January 5th 2010 by Perigee Books (first published December 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Supermarket Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supermarket Vegan

Ami
Oct 12, 2010 Ami rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, food
Update #2: I made the Easy "Cream" of Asparagus soup a couple weeks ago & was not impressed. I interpreted "light coconut milk" to perhaps allow for a substitution of coconut milk "beverage" (as opposed to the canned version), so maybe that was part of the problem. But I could definitely taste the can-ness of the asparagus (canned asparagus plus its liquid *was* called for in the recipe), and it just wasn't that tasty. I think I'm done cooking my way through the soup section, and although ev ...more
Teechbiz
This cookbook was easy to use and the recipes didn't need any fancy ingredients
Kristel
Some hits and some misses, so far. The Curried Broccoli Soup was really nice. The Baked Beans and Macaroni Casserole was kind of meh, too sweet and the fried onion topping was... not good. (But it would be easy to fix, I think. The variety of baked beans I used was more sweet than the Heinz ones I usually get. And any kind of crunchy topping would a good replacement for the onions.) The Gnocchi with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce was nice, if a bit ugly.

I think Klein relies just a little too heavily
lindsay
let me talk about this book for a minute and how much i appreciate it. i am not vegan, but do try to eat very little animal products, and it is easy to do. i have read/perused a lot of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks in my time and the things i hate about most of them are --
1) meat analogs. NO.
2) talking about veganism as if it is this crazy, wacky thing that is so awesome, but so hard to do

this book just... does it. it uses naturally vegan, common ingredients to make simple and delicious foods.
Michelle
Yes, I read cookbooks! The recipes look very tasty and mostly healthy. there are a few with white flour, white sugar, and vegetable shortening but we all need treats. I just made the Three-Bean Barley Chili. It made a lot. It was delicious!!! I didn't miss the meat at all. Next I'm going to try the stuffed zucchini and the Apple Almond Caramel Bake. Yum! These recipes will be great for weeknight and last minute meals; or when it is too cold to go out and shop for food. It's easy to be healthy an ...more
Sabrina
I'm giving this book 5 stars not because I think it's the best vegan cookbook ever, but because I think it's amazing for what it is - a cookbook that uses only simple ingredients that can be found in any grocery store. Everything I've made from this book has been easy to make and almost surprisingly delicious. I think this would be a great book for new vegans, people with limited time to cook, and well, anyone who doesn't want a lot of fuss but does want great-tasting food.
Klein's approach to meat, dairy, and egg-free eating is a breath of fresh air and lives up to its attempts to be down-to-earth and realistic. With no lengthy passages on why one should eat a plant-based diet, no politics or soap boxes, she gets right to the heart of the matter: the food. After a brief introduction and a helpful glossary of food terms and ingredients, Klein takes us right into a comprehensive assortment of tasty-sounding recipes that can be prepared without special treks to the h ...more
Sara
Reading the ebook on my Ipod Touch. Kind of a good idea--you can bookmark a recipe, easily bring up the ingredient list while at the grocery store, and buy the ingredients. Then you can set the reading device down near where you are cooking (making sure not to get it wet, of course).

I have read through most of the recipes and have actually made one, the white bean/sage dip in the appetizer section. It was excellent and all my friends loved it! I have bookmarked several recipes to try when I fee
Nora
I am partial to Mexican food & this book had several yummy looking recipes without the meat or cheese that are so common & make Mexican food a challenge for Vegetarians/Vegans. I also liked that the recipes used regular foods--vegetables & legumes instead of fake this & fake that. I think this one is a keeper!
Pam
I like how the book is divided up into different sections and the recipes sound great! Based on other reviews I've read, the recipes are somewhat hit and miss but I'm particularly excited to try a few (especially the ones with hummus) and see what I can incorporate. One thing I find kind of weird in any veg book is that they list salads; is it hard to throw a bunch of veggies, maybe some nuts and a dressing together? Maybe it's just me, but I think listing unique ingredients as kind of a salad c ...more
Jill Paschal
So far, I have to sat that this is my favorite vegan cookbook. I say that because you can literally buy all the ingredients listed in every supermarket! That helps especially when pressed for time or like some other vegan cookbooks, ingredients can be difficult to find; like porcini mushrooms (which was called for in another vegan cookbook). This book stays used a lot in my home!
Laura Kiowski
This cookbook is just exactly what I was searching for a low cost cookbook for eating plant based. I can almost always pull ingredients to make a wonderful meal from items I already have in my pantry and adding any fresh or frozen veggies I have on hand. What a lifesaver this cookbook has become for some quick scrumptious meals.
Luaba
Jun 08, 2012 Luaba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
When some of your family members become vegan, it can be intimidating at first to know where to shop, heck where to even start anything. Well, this is the best guide for a novice on how to shop "vegan". I enjoy eating vegan as often as possible, thanks to this gem amongst other motivators.
Melanie
I've tried three recipes and really liked one. Another I will alter a little. The third one I will not make again. A couple of the grocery items are not as easy to find as the author claims. I had to go to AJ's for the ones not available in our grocery stores.
Bill
If anyone is thinking of trying veganism this book is a must. You can find all the ingredients in any supermarket. You don't have to search the ends of the earth to find any exotic spices etc. I've tried about 20 recipes and all were easy and tasty.
Gina
May 16, 2010 Gina marked it as cooking
Shelves: own, vegetarian-vegan
So far:

Hawaiian-style Sweet and Sour Roasted Pineapple and Bell Peppers: I've already made this twice in the past week, since it was delicious and pineapples and bell peppers were both on sale. Served over a brown basmati rice/barley mix.
Terri
Since I'm not actually vegan, I was surprised by how many of the recipes in this book looked appealing. Now I just have to try some!
Kristilee
borrowed this from the library - then bought it! simple, healthy and tasty vegan recipes with simple inexpensive ingredients.
Anthony
May 23, 2013 Anthony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody who wants to eat healthy!
Recommended to Anthony by: A good friend
Many very nice ideas! Easy to do and without a need to go to a health food store!
Marji
We've loved everything I've made, out of this book, and the recipes are so easy!!
Cheryl
Reasonable collection, very similar to 'Eat Vegan On $4 A Day'

Shibumi
I refer to this book quite a bit. Quick, easy and tasty.
Michelle
Excellent for families, quick and easy meals!
Karli
No frills cookbook; tasty recipes.
Shelly
Lots of great recipes.
Stephanie
I need to just buy this one.
KellyWells
Great, accessible recipes
Dawn Ricker
Dawn Ricker marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
Mar 01, 2015
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan on the Cheap
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy The Tropical Vegan Kitchen: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Dishes from the Tropics The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen: Delicious and Nutritious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Dishes The PDQ (Pretty Darn Quick) Vegetarian Cookbook: 240 Healthy and Easy No-Prep Recipes for Busy Cooks