Start by marking “Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World” as Want to Read:

Presents recipes and helpful preparation tips for vegetarian appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, and desserts that do not require meat, egg, or dairy substitutes.
Title: Supermarket Vegan
Author: Klein, Donna
Publisher: Penguin Group USA
Publication Date: 2010/01/05
Number of Pages: 162
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress: 2009028030
Published January 5th 2010 by TarcherPerigee (first published December 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Supermarket Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supermarket Vegan

Ami
Sep 15, 2010 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, 2010
Update #2: I made the Easy "Cream" of Asparagus soup a couple weeks ago & was not impressed. I interpreted "light coconut milk" to perhaps allow for a substitution of coconut milk "beverage" (as opposed to the canned version), so maybe that was part of the problem. But I could definitely taste the can-ness of the asparagus (canned asparagus plus its liquid *was* called for in the recipe), and it just wasn't that tasty. I think I'm done cooking my way through the soup section, and although ev ...more
lindsay
Mar 20, 2010 lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: twentyten
let me talk about this book for a minute and how much i appreciate it. i am not vegan, but do try to eat very little animal products, and it is easy to do. i have read/perused a lot of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks in my time and the things i hate about most of them are --
1) meat analogs. NO.
2) talking about veganism as if it is this crazy, wacky thing that is so awesome, but so hard to do

this book just... does it. it uses naturally vegan, common ingredients to make simple and delicious foods.
Teechbiz
Apr 03, 2010 Teechbiz rated it really liked it
This cookbook was easy to use and the recipes didn't need any fancy ingredients
Kristel
Jun 05, 2011 Kristel rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, reference
Some hits and some misses, so far. The Curried Broccoli Soup was really nice. The Baked Beans and Macaroni Casserole was kind of meh, too sweet and the fried onion topping was... not good. (But it would be easy to fix, I think. The variety of baked beans I used was more sweet than the Heinz ones I usually get. And any kind of crunchy topping would a good replacement for the onions.) The Gnocchi with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce was nice, if a bit ugly.

I think Klein relies just a little too heavily
Chelle
Sep 18, 2011 Chelle rated it really liked it
Yes, I read cookbooks! The recipes look very tasty and mostly healthy. there are a few with white flour, white sugar, and vegetable shortening but we all need treats. I just made the Three-Bean Barley Chili. It made a lot. It was delicious!!! I didn't miss the meat at all. Next I'm going to try the stuffed zucchini and the Apple Almond Caramel Bake. Yum! These recipes will be great for weeknight and last minute meals; or when it is too cold to go out and shop for food. It's easy to be healthy an ...more
Sabrina
Nov 16, 2011 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book 5 stars not because I think it's the best vegan cookbook ever, but because I think it's amazing for what it is - a cookbook that uses only simple ingredients that can be found in any grocery store. Everything I've made from this book has been easy to make and almost surprisingly delicious. I think this would be a great book for new vegans, people with limited time to cook, and well, anyone who doesn't want a lot of fuss but does want great-tasting food.
Sara
Mar 31, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Reading the ebook on my Ipod Touch. Kind of a good idea--you can bookmark a recipe, easily bring up the ingredient list while at the grocery store, and buy the ingredients. Then you can set the reading device down near where you are cooking (making sure not to get it wet, of course).

I have read through most of the recipes and have actually made one, the white bean/sage dip in the appetizer section. It was excellent and all my friends loved it! I have bookmarked several recipes to try when I fee
May 08, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: health-food
Klein's approach to meat, dairy, and egg-free eating is a breath of fresh air and lives up to its attempts to be down-to-earth and realistic. With no lengthy passages on why one should eat a plant-based diet, no politics or soap boxes, she gets right to the heart of the matter: the food. After a brief introduction and a helpful glossary of food terms and ingredients, Klein takes us right into a comprehensive assortment of tasty-sounding recipes that can be prepared without special treks to the h ...more
Pam
Dec 10, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: food-health
I like how the book is divided up into different sections and the recipes sound great! Based on other reviews I've read, the recipes are somewhat hit and miss but I'm particularly excited to try a few (especially the ones with hummus) and see what I can incorporate. One thing I find kind of weird in any veg book is that they list salads; is it hard to throw a bunch of veggies, maybe some nuts and a dressing together? Maybe it's just me, but I think listing unique ingredients as kind of a salad c ...more
Nora
Aug 19, 2014 Nora rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
I am partial to Mexican food & this book had several yummy looking recipes without the meat or cheese that are so common & make Mexican food a challenge for Vegetarians/Vegans. I also liked that the recipes used regular foods--vegetables & legumes instead of fake this & fake that. I think this one is a keeper!
Laura Kiowski
Sep 07, 2013 Laura Kiowski rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is just exactly what I was searching for a low cost cookbook for eating plant based. I can almost always pull ingredients to make a wonderful meal from items I already have in my pantry and adding any fresh or frozen veggies I have on hand. What a lifesaver this cookbook has become for some quick scrumptious meals.
Jill Paschal
Sep 30, 2010 Jill Paschal rated it it was amazing
So far, I have to sat that this is my favorite vegan cookbook. I say that because you can literally buy all the ingredients listed in every supermarket! That helps especially when pressed for time or like some other vegan cookbooks, ingredients can be difficult to find; like porcini mushrooms (which was called for in another vegan cookbook). This book stays used a lot in my home!
Luaba
Jun 08, 2012 Luaba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
When some of your family members become vegan, it can be intimidating at first to know where to shop, heck where to even start anything. Well, this is the best guide for a novice on how to shop "vegan". I enjoy eating vegan as often as possible, thanks to this gem amongst other motivators.
Melanie
Apr 28, 2010 Melanie rated it liked it
I've tried three recipes and really liked one. Another I will alter a little. The third one I will not make again. A couple of the grocery items are not as easy to find as the author claims. I had to go to AJ's for the ones not available in our grocery stores.
Gina
May 13, 2010 Gina marked it as cooking
So far:

Hawaiian-style Sweet and Sour Roasted Pineapple and Bell Peppers: I've already made this twice in the past week, since it was delicious and pineapples and bell peppers were both on sale. Served over a brown basmati rice/barley mix.
Bill
Jul 30, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing
If anyone is thinking of trying veganism this book is a must. You can find all the ingredients in any supermarket. You don't have to search the ends of the earth to find any exotic spices etc. I've tried about 20 recipes and all were easy and tasty.
LemontreeLime
Mar 20, 2016 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I had sort of hoped for more from this one.
Shelly
Apr 14, 2011 Shelly rated it really liked it
Lots of great recipes.
Anthony
May 23, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody who wants to eat healthy!
Recommended to Anthony by: A good friend
Many very nice ideas! Easy to do and without a need to go to a health food store!
Michelle
Nov 13, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Excellent for families, quick and easy meals!
Kristilee
Dec 31, 2011 Kristilee rated it it was amazing
borrowed this from the library - then bought it! simple, healthy and tasty vegan recipes with simple inexpensive ingredients.
Terri
Sep 24, 2010 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Since I'm not actually vegan, I was surprised by how many of the recipes in this book looked appealing. Now I just have to try some!
Varied Books
Jun 20, 2016 Varied Books marked it as reading-soon
I really want to buy this! I'm reading thru overdrive the recipes seem simple & tasty. Waiting for a price drop.
S.J.
Sep 17, 2012 S.J. rated it it was ok
I dread when my other half chooses to cook dinner from this book. I know I'm in for a casserole-type of meal involving black beans, corn and some kind of dough. Not my favorite.
Marji
May 21, 2012 Marji rated it it was amazing
We've loved everything I've made, out of this book, and the recipes are so easy!!
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
I need to just buy this one.
Shibumi
May 09, 2010 Shibumi rated it liked it
I refer to this book quite a bit. Quick, easy and tasty.
Cheryl
Nov 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Reasonable collection, very similar to 'Eat Vegan On $4 A Day'

Laurie Rolnick
Laurie Rolnick rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan on the Cheap
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great