Start by marking “Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)

Decked (Regan Reilly Mystery #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  3,602 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
When P.I. Regan Reilly attends a class reunion in England, the long-dead body of her former roommate turns up. Clues to the mystery follow Regan as she sails home--and into the hands of a killer.
Published August 1st 1993 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Decked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decked

The Odyssey by HomerMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieRobinson Crusoe by Daniel DefoeThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Cruises
22nd out of 132 books — 57 voters
Master and Commander by Patrick O'BrianThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Novels
101st out of 232 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Sophie
Mar 20, 2012 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Zapped and Cursed, both of which I really enjoyed, I went back to this, the first Regan Reilly book. It's rare that I dislike a book so much that I don't finish it, but I realized I was wasting my time here when I was halfway through.

Decked has little of CHC's trademark humor, and it has no suspense. The plot was intriguing, but Carol's writing just dragged on and on... it seems like she took five pages to write what could have been said in two. If you're new to Carol Higgins Clark
LJ
DECKED - Poor
Clark, Carol Higgins - 1st book

The daughter of a successful mystery writer and a P.I. with pizzazz, Regan Reilly is attending her class reunion at St. Polycarp's, England, when the long-dead body of her former roommate turns up under the bushes. It's a case Regan would love to solve, but a prior commitment puts her on a transatlantic cruise.

She shouldn't have fretted. The clues to the crime are following her on the Queen Guinevere. Here, on a ship awash with secret lovers, a fortune
Glenna
Jan 30, 2013 Glenna rated it really liked it
This first in a series was a fun read. I have read many books by this author's mother (Mary Higgins Clark) and I found this series to be more lighthearted than her mother's. I liked that.
Ellen Moore
Dec 11, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it liked it
While not my favorite book, this mystery did have some interesting factors. It had some very unlikeable and obnoxious characters, however, that made it less pleasant to read. It was strange because it started in England but then the setting moved to a cruise ship enroute to New York. Regan was working as a companion to a wealthy older lady to accompany her on the cruise. Another unusual factor was that Regan's parents were coincidentally on the same cruise but keeping it a secret from the lady w ...more
Sandy
Oct 10, 2015 Sandy rated it liked it
I have read better and iI have read worse. I thought the main character was a might shallow. Since she is a detective you would have thought that some of the detecting could have been done on the ship. She didn't act like a detective. Story would have been better if All the characters had been on the ship.i did like how the author tied to two murders together. I did not like how the author handled Gabby Gavin. I also did not enjoy knowing who the villain was from the beginning. I will read the n ...more
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2007 Stephanie rated it did not like it
This book was just ok. A lot of fluff. Hopefully as the series goes on the books get better.
Laura Ruetz
Apr 07, 2014 Laura Ruetz rated it really liked it
This is the perfect book for when you want to just sit and read something light and amusing. In this book we see Regan Reilly, P.I.who gets asked to escort an elderly lady during her cruise, as her traveling companion fell ill. Thus begins the trip of hilarious mis-steps and nightmares. The antics on the cruise nearly overshadow the danger that that two ladies are in, by a jewel thief and an assassin. This is fun book that reads quickly. The characters are entertaining, the writing is good and i ...more
Hannah
Jan 26, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I have never read anything by either Mary Higgins Clark or Carol Higgins Clark and only knew of the former by reputation, so I came into this book with very little expectations. However, I still found myself a tad disappointed by Decked - there was a lot of promise of what it could have been, but the final product didn’t quite pull together. It’s not a bad read, however; merely an “all right” one.

This book felt like a combination of a modern thriller and a traditional British mystery. The openin
Christyn

Decked was okay - I mean it was likable enough but it didn't leave a particularly strong impression on me. Firstly, I figured out the whodunnit within the first quarter of the book. The assassin (and the partner), jewel thief and fortune hunter were all clear, the only part of the mystery I wasn't sure of was the why - but I pieced it together before the end of the book and the reveal. Secondly, Regan Reilly, for all her supposed expertise didn't do much detecting at all. She was just another c
Linda
Apr 23, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Linda by: Betty - 3-9-09
Shelves: own
This is Carol Higgins Clark's first book. A friend gave me the book and I paid too much for it. I can't say this is the worst book I have ever read, but it is close. As an author, Carol Higgins Clark has fallen far from the tree. Her mother, Mary Higgins Clark is known as the Queen of Suspense. Carol isn't the Princess nor close to being the heir apparent.
Regan Reilly is a private detective in England for the tenth reunion of her class. The body of one of her classmates, who all thought had run
Natalie
Jun 21, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Though I have read several of Mary Higgins Clark's mysteries, this is the first Carol Higgins Clark book I've read. I'm glad I started with the first Regan Reilly mystery (I get really annoyed when I accidentally jump into the middle of a series. Goodreads helps by giving me the handy dandy numbers for each book, even when the books don't always list what number book they are). Regan was a likable character and the plot was nice. I resisted looking in the back of the book (a habit I picked up ye ...more
Cecilia Valetti
Jan 15, 2016 Cecilia Valetti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining

This is the first novel I have ever read by Carol Higgins Clark, even if I have read quite a few by her mother Mary Higgins Clark. The novel is very entertaining with a little bit of suspense. The characters are described in an amused way, but at the same time, with affection. They are represented with their little foibles and funny traits, but, apart from the villains, they are all fundamentally good and the reader, as well as the protagonist, can't help liking them.
Islam
Apr 25, 2014 Islam rated it really liked it
This has been a pleasant light read. The storyline is lovely and easy to follow, the characters are rather simple and obvious, and the writer doesn't even try to make a convoluted storyline, just a simple "mystery" and a straightforward plot. The only downside is the the fact that it gets really crowded with characters in the beginning, but your investment in getting your head around all the characters will surely result in pleasant returns towards the end.
Debbie
Jun 29, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Decked" is a humorous mystery novel. The mystery was a who-done it that kept me guessing until about the same time as the detective figured it out. Several people with different motives wanted to be in or near Lady Exner's cabin, which built the suspense as each tried to achieve their goal and I wondered if any of them would mess up the others' plans. And, of course, there was the suspense of knowing someone was intending to kill Regan and Lady Exner--and they didn't realize their danger.

Some o
Carol
Dec 19, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
My sweet daughters started giving me one of these Christmas mysteries every Christmas. I drop everything and read it between Christmas and New Year's. Carol is a little cozier than her mom with some light humor, which is perfect for my Christmas read (Not a fast reader!) This first one is a great mystery where we learn to love Regan Reilly and her family.
Mary Tonks
Feb 02, 2016 Mary Tonks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
First time reading a selection by this author. I really like her style! A very fast-paced novel with some rather quirky characters, but they really worked! Set on a cruise ship, it also gives one an idea whether this form of travel would be enjoyed or not! Our protagonist Regan Reilly is very savvy without being overbearing. She's a keeper!
Kay
Feb 22, 2016 Kay added it
Shelves: 2016
I always enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark so thought I would try her daughter. Good book. Characters are well developed and hopefully grow throughout the series. There were a few twists but I still had most figured out by end with some extra surprises near the end. Looking forward to next in series.
Zei
Aug 22, 2016 Zei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ça ne doit pas être chose facile que de vivre dans l'ombre d'une mère écrivain aussi talentueuse et productive. Mais Carol a su dépasser cet obstacle et se surpasser dans ce thriller -premier que je lis de sa plume- en prenant soin de se démarquer de sa mère, et y réussissant sans peine.
Robert Scott
Finished 04/17/2011. If this is indeed Carol H. C.'s debut, it is very well done. Starts with a 10 year reunion at an English girl's school, involves a 10 year old disappearance and murder and an attempt at murder on a cruise ship returning to NYC.To Shelby 04/17.
Daniel Groth
Aug 05, 2014 Daniel Groth rated it it was ok
While I have enjoyed the books in the Regan Reilley series by Carol Higgins Clark. I didn't particularly care for this one. this was the first book. The others I have read have been really good. So I know that they get better the more she writes them. I am going to read the 2nd book next.
Mary Nuttelman
Jul 27, 2016 Mary Nuttelman rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Classic locked-room type mystery. Most of the players are on board an ocean liner traveling from Southampton to New York City, with a couple of players left back in England. Great description of travel by sea with the mystery not too hard to figure out.
Sally Kinane
Sep 02, 2016 Sally Kinane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Have listen to a few of her latter books and wanted to see how she started and follow through as she does get funnier and her characters keep getting crazier. This did have some great suspense at the end and I liked how how the climax evolved.
Sandy Daniels
Jul 12, 2016 Sandy Daniels rated it it was amazing
This was the first Carol Higgins Clark book I have read. When there is a series, I like to start with the first book and read them in sequence. I absolutely loved the book. I love Regan Reilly. Am looking forward to reading the next one.
kathleen martin raes
Like mother like daughter

Cant say anything new or diff CHC books are always great !!I recommend anything she write my fvorite are regan riley booksans allvira and her husband. the lottery winners
Gail
Aug 20, 2009 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Regan Reilly mystery. Regan returns to England for the 10th anniversary of her college year abroad. While she was there, ten years ago, her roommate, Athena disappeared. During this visit, Athena's body is discovered. Regan would have like to stay and continue her investigation but she is hired by the nephew of a wealthy woman to escort the eccentric octogenarian on an Atlantic boat crossing. By coincidence, Regan's famous author mother is also on the cruise.

By weaving together variou
Allison
Jul 14, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read. The characters were over-the-top and a lot of fun and the mystery was not too complicated for me to solve. I am looking forward to reading more of Carol Higgins Clark's books.
Donna
Jul 26, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A cozy mystery and perhaps a little too cozy for me. The PI is Regan Reilly and I'd like to see her "detect" without all of these crazy old biddies around her. I'm being generous with three stars.
Barbara M
Feb 05, 2016 Barbara M rated it it was ok
Did I expect too much? She seems to be calling attention throughout the story on her mother's reputation. She's no Mary Higgins Clark. I doubt that I'll read more although she may improve.
Megan
Jun 02, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
It's your basic who-done it type mystery. It also happens to have been my first Carol Higgins Clark that I've read. I don't feel like it was very "noteworthy" so to speak. It's not something I would re-read nor is it a favorite. If you want a quick and easy read then this is what you want.
The plot wasn't to bad, had maybe one or two twists you may not expect which is always a good thing. Although it didn't hold much suspense I still enjoyed the story overall.
The characters were average, and enj
Shirley DeCou
Jan 29, 2016 Shirley DeCou rated it liked it
Carol writes very much like her mother, Mary Higgins Clark, and getting a little better each time. Not great but easy reading with a little Agatha Christie suspense. Enjoyed
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • The Midnight Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #2)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
Carol Higgins Clark (1956– ) is an American mystery author. She is also the daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark , with whom she has co-authored novels, and the former sister-in-law of author Mary Jane Clark.

Born in New York City, Clark received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1978 and then studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. She is the author of the Regan Reilly mystery series.
More about Carol Higgins Clark...

Regan Reilly Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
  • Twanged (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #4)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)
  • Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #11)

“PROLOGUE FRIDAY, APRIL 23 OXFORD, ENGLAND ATHENA RAN BLINDLY down the dark country lane, her breath coming in short, harsh gasps. Her school jacket with the St. Polycarp’s logo sewn on the pocket was no protection against the sudden drenching spring rain. The knapsack strapped to her body impeded her flight. It did not occur to her to discard it. As the bewildering shock began to wear off, she desperately told herself she was” 1 likes