Start by marking “The Knowledge of the Holy” as Want to Read:
The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  14,347 Ratings  ·  519 Reviews
The Knowledge of the Holy by popular evangelical author and Christian mystic A.W. Tozer illuminates God’s attributes—from wisdom, to grace, to mercy—and in doing so, attempts to restore the majesty and wonder of God in the hearts and minds of all Christians. A modern classic of Christian testimony and devotion, The Knowledge of the Holy shows us how we can rejuvenate our p ...more
Published October 6th 1978 by HarperOne (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Knowledge of the Holy, please sign up.

David Haron I don't think I understand the question. Also- I don't think this is the right book to read if you are interested in finding out more about the life…moreI don't think I understand the question. Also- I don't think this is the right book to read if you are interested in finding out more about the life and family of Jesus Christ.(less)

Matt
Aug 13, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People with the right hearts but wrong heads, sadly the exact opposite of who will probably read it.
Having never before read A.W. Tozer, I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, and if I expected anything I'm not sure that this was it.

The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God: Their Meaning in the Christian Life is a study in the unstudiable. It is a scrutiny of that which is inherently inscrutable. It is therefore I think doomed from the start, for the knowledge that it would convey is inexpressible and the wisdom it would impart is far beyond man's understanding.
Sushant
May 03, 2012 Sushant rated it it was amazing
Great book!

There was a story I learned growing up. Five blind men who did not know what an elephant was like found an elephant. Since they could not see, they felt around to imagine what an elephant would be like. One felt the leg and said, "An elephant is like a tower!". Another felt the trunk and said, "No! it is more like a python!". Another felt the tail and said," No! An elephant is more like a rope!". Another felt the stomach and said," You are all wrong! An elephant is like a big sack!" T
Robbie Pruitt
Sep 18, 2012 Robbie Pruitt rated it it was amazing
Nothing is more important than a right understanding of God, or "thinking rightly about God." In Knowledge of the Holy, A.W. Tozer states, "The Church has surrendered her once lofty concept of God and has substituted for it one so low, so ignoble, as to be utterly unworthy of thinking, worshipping men." Tozer is addressing idol worship that many fall into by thinking wrongly about God.

It is into this reality that Tozer speaks in his book, Knowledge of the Holy, which is an excellent study of the
Leslie Godwin
Feb 26, 2017 Leslie Godwin rated it really liked it
The Knowledge of the Holy, by A.W. Tozer, was my first experience actually reading something by the famous, often quoted Tozer. I have to say it wasn't quite what I expected. The Knowledge of the Holy explores the nature of God by looking at *some* of His attributes. This wouldn't be my go-to for new believers. The speech is lofty and Tozer uses circular logic/reasoning at times. That being said, there were some really great analogies and metaphors, and a few of the chapters really stirred my af ...more
Michael
Aug 03, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
A.W. Tozer begins chapter one saying, "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." This is more or less an agreeable statement, however, the view Tozer takes of God is in many ways an antithesis of who God is. The most profound offence is his neglect of the love of God. While for Tozer everything else such as God's Justice and Omnipotence is a scriptural certitude but when it comes to the sentence "God is love," suddenly Tozer becomes a 19th century B ...more
Michael
Oct 29, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
Recommended to Michael by: Rodney Cripps
In this work, Tozer tackles arguably the most important question in life—Who is God? He correctly ascertains that so as we think about God, so as life goes. And in his attempt to tell what God is like, he succeeds in at least outlining the major characteristics of God as held by classical, orthodox Christianity.
I’d venture to guess that concepts of God’s unity, simplicity, and being aren’t being discussed, much less understood, outside of a few seminaries, and most of them Catholic. The forma
Natalie Weber
Oct 21, 2010 Natalie Weber rated it it was amazing
This is a brief, but classic, work that I read in preparation for a Bible study in which I was involved this fall. There are 23 chapters, each only several pages long, that expound on some of the many attributes and aspects of God’s nature. A statement in the preface encapsulates nicely why it is so critical to study God: “It is impossible to keep our moral practices sound and our inward attitudes right while our idea of God is erroneous or inadequate.” In the first chapter, Tozer adds, “A right ...more
Bill
Jan 28, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at a rate of one chapter each morning, kind of ‘devotional theology’ to go along with regular bible reading and prayer. It was an experiment, and it was great – it may reveal more about my personality than anything else, but I find this kind of theological reading much more encouraging and practically helpful than typical devotional material that I have read in the past. The book itself is known as a classic, and deservedly so. Tozer’s intense, earnest style is perfectly suited ...more
Michael Locklear
"The Knowledge of the Holy" is a wonderful classic by A. W. Tozer, where he deals with the Divine Attributes of God, such as:
The self-existence of God
The self-sufficiency of God
The immutability of God
The eternity of God
The wisdom of God
And more... His faithfulness, love, mercy, grace, holiness, sovereignty, that He is all-knowing (omniscience), all-powerful (omnipotent) and ever-present (omnipresence).
This is a marvelous little classic worth reading and meditating over. Add it to your li
Nina
Mar 20, 2015 Nina rated it it was amazing
Another of Tozer ' s gems. A description of a selection of God's attributes. It is popular now to talk of God in terms of being a god of love. This diminishes Him by making him into a god of one dimension. God operates with an infinite number of attributes ( many we are most likely unaware of) and all simultaneously and equally. By limiting Him we reduce his influence on the world and our lives.
Logan
Jan 25, 2016 Logan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, christian
An exceptional book that serves as a condensed systematic theology. Very simple and easy-to-read, with brief but deep chapters. Each chapter covers an aspect of God and is continuously pointing to how majestic God truly is. This is not meant to be a "one-stop-shop" for your theology but it's a fantastic starting point for beginning a study.
Candice
Mar 21, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Candice by: Matt Styles
For a mere review from me reduces any holiness for the grandiose scale of the book though short in quantity however irrelevant to quality, I've added quotes that touched me.

Reflection upon revealed truth naturally follows the advent of faith, but faith comes first to the hearing ear, not to the cogitating mind. The believing man does not ponder the Word and arrive at faith by a process of reasoning, nor does he seek confirmation of faith from philosophy or science. His cry is, "O, earth, earth,
Will Bassett
Apr 25, 2016 Will Bassett rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Christian. What is the largest problem with Western Christianity today? A weak gospel and a lack of knowledge and understanding of who God is.
This book will open up to you the attributes of God in simplicity and majesty. The most important thing about you is what you think of when you think of God, read this book.
Robert Vincent
Jun 04, 2014 Robert Vincent rated it really liked it
Knowledge of the Holy – A.W. Tozer

In my early Christian life I had made it a practice to read this book every year. Now after I had stopped doing that after several years, a bible study partner mentioned he had been reading Knowledge of the Holy. That prompted me to pick it up again and I finished reading it in three sittings. It is indeed a short book filled with a wonderful word display of the attributes of God.

Tozer does lead the reader to a good understanding of the person of God in the best
Valerie
Jun 07, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it
Summary: Tozer expresses in his book that he feels the Church has lost sight of what God is truly like due to the lack of faithful study of His holiness. As a result, we have created out versions of "God" rather worshipping the actual Creator and thus committing a great sin called idolatry. We choose only to see God as loving or as judging and leave out all of His other attributes and because God is a unitary being that cannot be divided, all attributes depend on each other and cannot be isolate ...more
Matt Awesome
Dec 21, 2011 Matt Awesome rated it it was amazing
This book was one of those paradigm shifters for me. Tozer put in me in my place with respect to God. Tozer, in his pretty formulaic way, describes God for us. He lays out God's attributes, from majesty to faithfulness.

We tend to read the Bible and come across verses that say things like, "He stretches out the north over the void and hangs the earth on nothing." (Job 26:7) and respond by thinking, "Oh yah, God created the world. I knew that." We forget that if God is exactly who he says he is i
Rebekah Choat
Jan 25, 2012 Rebekah Choat rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Tozer posits that “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us,” and that a right conception of God is absolutely necessary not only for systematic theology but also for practical Christian living. He laments the fact that the Church has lost the true concept of the holiness and majesty of God and “has substituted for it one so low, so ignoble, as to be utterly unworthy of thinking, worshipping men.” He then sets out to address the question of what God ...more
Destin Givens
Aug 22, 2014 Destin Givens rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read to date on the Attributes of God, and quite possibly the most helpful book of theology I've read to date.

Tozer's handling of God's attributes are done from a perspective of awe and reverence. Never have I seen such a mix of stout theological rigor and love/adoration.

Reading this caused me to want to know my Holy Father more. Not just to know more about Him in theory but to know Him intimately. To chase after this great prize which is the knowledge of God. To have
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 Christopher M. rated it it was amazing
A fantastic overview of the attributes of God. Biblically sound, eloquent, concise, and readable, Tozer manages to hit on the major attributes of God (though, we could probably find many more to add) while not getting too carried away into philosophic proofs and rabbit trails. He assumes that the truth in the book will only be understood by the person already possessing faith, so while he does go to lengths to describe the person of faith, especially toward the end, he does not belabor the point ...more
Eric
Dec 10, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bible study teachers
Recommended to Eric by: Brandon Wolfram
This is a must read for all Bible study teachers. Much easier to understand (more compelling and more persuasive) than God Without Parts: Divine Simplicity and the Metaphysics of God's Absoluteness by James E. Dolezal. Covers the same ground, more or less, but A. W. Tozer refers directly to the self-revealed God of the Bible and not to Aquinian metaphysics. The book was written now 60 years ago, and observes the church bringing God down to human experience and understanding. That trend has only ...more
Nadine Brandes
Oct 24, 2013 Nadine Brandes rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nadine by: Dr. Thoennes -- Professor from Biola University
Absolutely amazing. Tozer challenges us to think deeper about how we view God. It's crucial to our relationship with Him to view Him rightly.

This book is deep. The writing is thick and takes every bit of brain power one can muster. But Tozer wrote it because he realized we'd stopped pushing ourselves. The church stopped reading Augustine or Anselm...so Tozer stepped up to leave us with a "simpler version" to guide us in our understanding of God. Now, The Knowledge of the Holy is a classic...and
Amy Litzelman
Mar 30, 2011 Amy Litzelman rated it it was amazing
A.W. Tozer is much love and respected with good reason. He speaks truth in straight forward sentences that cause the reader to stop and ponder. The first line of "The Knowledge of the Holy" grabbed my heart and attention so fully that it took me most of the day to get past it as I savored it over and over... and I go back to it again and again as a favorite quote:

These types of statements cannot be written b
Joy
Nov 24, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
A classic Christian book dealing with God's attributes:
Infinitude - "Life is a short and fevered rehearsal for a concert we cannot stay to give."
Goodness - "The whole outlook of mankind might be changed if we could all believe that we dwell under a friendly sky and that the God of heaven, though exalted in power and majesty, is eager to be friends with us."
Grace - "The known good will of the mother casts out fear."
Excellent book with the advice that we need to practice "the art of long and lovin
John
Nov 30, 2016 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is an outstanding devotional work on the attributes of God. The chapters are short and intense, full of scriptural wisdom and devotional application. Modern readers will see the foundations for R.C. Sproul's "The Holiness of God" here.

This is a great book that will be profitable for group studies, personal devotions, and lay theologians.
Phillip Nash
May 29, 2015 Phillip Nash rated it it was amazing
I have always thought of Tozer as a prophetic speaker and writer because in his generation the seeds of the fruit he warned against we now harvest in our own. His book on the knowledge of God's attributes is one of the best summaries around and not only sets out clearly for us a lost conception of God but does so with beautiful language.
Sergiu Năstruţ
Mar 31, 2015 Sergiu Năstruţ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
Trebuie să ne ascundem nesfințenia în rănile lui Hristos cum s-a ascuns Moise în crăpătura stâncii în timp ce slava lui Dumnezeu trecea prin fața lui. Trebuie să ne adăpostim de mânia lui Dumnezeu în Dumnezeu. [A.W.Tozer]
Jim Golden
Aug 24, 2012 Jim Golden rated it it was amazing
What can I say about a book that gives you a first hand look into the face of God except I hope you enjoy it as much as I did as many times as I did. This is a book that you will return to time and time again as you seek God's Holy Spirit to turn its truth into revelation in your life.
Emanuela
Sep 22, 2011 Emanuela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte folositoare pentru cei care cauta sa cunoasca mai mult despre Dumnezeu, caci cunoasterea Lui nu se poate implini decat personal, si nu prin carti, sunt descrise trasaturile Fiintei Lui si caracterul Lui, atat cat se poate prin cuvinte...Tozer chiar a fost un om pocait.
Andy Anderson
Apr 09, 2014 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing
If you are a skeptic who is really seeking truth, read it.
If you are a average Christian who needs to grow, read it.
If you want to know more on the thoughts of who God is, read it.
If you want to have a springboard for the attributes of God, read it.
Taija
Dec 21, 2016 Taija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Christian should read this book.
  • The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God
  • The Cross of Christ
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • True Spirituality: How to Live for Jesus Moment by Moment
Aiden Wilson Tozer was an American evangelical pastor, speaker, writer, and editor. After coming to Christ at the age of seventeen, Tozer found his way into the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination where he served for over forty years. In 1950, he was appointed by the denomination's General Council to be the editor of "The Alliance Witness" (now "Alliance Life").

Born into poverty in we
More about A.W. Tozer...

“Any faith that must be supported by the evidence of the senses is not real faith.” 197 likes
“We might be wise to follow the insight of the enraptured heart rather than the more cautious reasoning of the theological mind.” 91 likes