The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #3)

The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From the moment sixteen-year-old Madison Grant is abducted, an unthinkable terrorist plot is set in motion--pitting Special Agent Kelly Jones against her most powerful adversary yet. The kidnapper's ransom demands aren't monetary...they come at a cost that no American can afford to pay.As Kelly's fiance, Jake Riley, races to find Madison, Kelly is assigned to another distu...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Mira Books (first published October 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Gatekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gatekeeper

Brittany
Have you ever read a book that you make yourself read again in hopes that the second time around is much better than the first?

I enjoyed The Gatekeeper the first time I read it. I didn't like it and I didn't hate it. Just simply enjoyed it. The second time around, unfortunately, didn't change my opinion either way. It was a good read, with a pretty interesting turn of events and storyline. Just not anything exciting.

To be honest, I found myself fascinated with the true facts that Gagnon added to...more
Danie
Whoa.

It's hard to say what the larger point of this book is. The two main plots aren't subtle. Kelly's involves a dismembered Arizona Senator and Jake's a kidnapped daughter of a physicist. It's sort of sad that because of the fact that they're on different cases (Kelly with the FBI and Jake's first case with his own new private security firm) they don't have many scenes together that don't take place over the phone. In the previous two books I thought that some of the best scenes were the ones...more
Jessica
love Michelle gagnon and her series Kelly Jones...
there is a girl missing and this becomes Jake and syds first real business venture in there new company .. the longhorn group .. named cuz Jake and syd are Texas natives . the action of finding the girl gets intense ... the gun fire and the skin heads after them.. syds men are doing all they can to keep everyone safe...meanwhile Kelly is dealing with a murdered governor and starts checking out leads and discovering strange activity in warehouses...more
Kristen
This is the third book in the Kelly Jones Thriller series, and the best one yet. Instead of serial killers and copy cat killers, this deals with domestic terrorism all over the homeland from California to Arizona to New York and Texas, this is action-packed with every twist and turn on every page. There's even a bit of a mini love triangle and shocking twists in the end, making you want to know more and more for book #4. Until there's a new one, I'll have to see if I can get a copy for Boneyard...more
Walter
Jan 09, 2010 Walter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans on Dennis Lehane
This is Gagnon's best book yet. A bit darker and grittier than her previous books in the series. Though it's only accolade-to-date is as one of 2009s "Best Paperbacks" from Seattle Mystery Bookshop, it wouldn't surprise me to see this book making several more best of lists and picking up an award or two. Edgar, anyone?
Joshuacitrak
i picked this up in mid-series, but i tell you, i couldn't put it down from page one. michelle has broken the crime/mystery mold here. the plot is completely original, the characters engaging. i've been on a big "Scarpetta" kick recently, but Agent Kelly Jones from "The Gatekeeper" gives Kay a run for her money.
Kelly
Another winner from Michelle Gagnon. I got this for Christmas 2009 and could not put it down. I like the fact that each of Michelle's novels are unique in premise, setting, plot, etc and yet keep the characters that we have grown to love. I am looking forward to the next one!
Yvonne
Another excellent book from Ms Gagnon, Herbert one yet. Fast paced with plenty of action,I read it in one sitting. A little scary as the premise of the book is uncomfortably plausible. Great ending, will have to read the textbook to find out what happens.
Rebecca
Honestly, the weakest of the Kelly books. It starts so strong, but it takes forever for the two plots come together and make sense. Took much longer to read than the others because it wasn't as enjoyable.
Melody
This was a really fun fast read. I had not read any of her books before. It kept me interested from the first page till the last. I would definately recommend this for a fun change of pace!
Alyse
My favorite of her books so far, never a point when nothing is happening.
Debbie
I won this book on First Reads. There was a mix up and I never received it and the author was kind enough to send me out a signed copy!

I *REALLY* liked this book. The characters drew me in, and then all the action kept me turning the pages. What's scary is, the premise in the book - I could see it possibly happening.

Loved Jake & Syd, and Kelly! Loved how their cases intertwined. Loved all the suspense and the evil politician!

Would love to read more by this author!!
Jennifer Jowsey
Not my type of book at all: politics, terrorism, hate groups - not things that catch my interest or that I enjoy reading about. I got this book because I'd read the previous one featuring these characters. After this one, I'm not sure I'd read more by this author. There were loose ends too, and I'm not even totally sure how it ended (which is probably intentional for the next book, but, again, not the type of ending I like!). Overall, disappointed.
Julie
I enjoyed the story, particularly the pace. I had no idea what was coming and I was drawn in to keep reading and not put it down. Kelly and Madison were my favorite characters.

I thought it was far fetched that Madison would be so smart yet not even tell her best friend about her plan. I also thought there would be more concern and emotion from friends/family surrounding her and Randall.
Jan
Two different cases; Kelly's working on finding the person(s) responsible for dismembering a U. S. Senator from Arizona while Jake has his hands full with a new venture, his partner, and finding the kidnapped daughter of a nuclear physicist well versed on radioactive particles. Hate groups, immigration, politics are involved in both cases and when they converge, everything hits the fan.
Annie
This book is full of action and up-to-date political commentary. Michelle Gagnon does a great job keeping the story going, and tying it all together in the end.

Warning: The language is pretty gritty. There are some f-bombs in there. I know it's to make it realistic, but I wish someone could go through and mark them all out for me. :D
Melissa
I won this on first reads.

I got this one for a friend of mine who really loved it. She had to call me with every new twist and turn. She said I could not have it back to read it myself. I guess I will have to go borrow it back.
Alexandra

Not my kind of book but still ok. I'm bias on this review just because this is not my style of book at all but still got me wanting to know how everything ended.
Gevera Bert
The whole book had one semi-colon in it. The rest of the book was filled with really annoying comma splices that completely distracted me at least once a page.
Linda Mirvis
I guess I am getting old, but I had a bit of trouble keeping characters and events straight in my mind - not the fault of the book.
Mairi
I enjoyed the first half of the ride more than the second but, overall: good fun. I'll be getting the fourth one, too.
Corky
A new thriller/writer I picked up at Bouchercon. Started out great, storyline and ending were predictable.
Kathleen
enjoying this one. should be reading it faster but too many distractions lately.
Laurie Gienapp
interesting, entertaining... but at times the story felt a bit too contrived.
Nan
The premise is scary precisely because it is entirely too plausible.
Mark
good read, a bit formulaic.
Jen Acheson
BORING!
Kiki Bucheva
Kiki Bucheva marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Freefall
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Bum Magnet
  • Dusty Waters: A Ghost Story
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)
  • Safer
  • The First Sir Percy: an Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier
  • Act Like a Gentleman, Think Like a Woman:  A Woman's Response to Steve Harvey's Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
  • Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • Twisted
  • Deep Down
  • Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print, and Power
  • The Faculty Club
  • Taken (Randall Shane, #1)
  • Skin and Bone
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Bogeyman
Michelle Gagnon is a former modern dancer, bartender, dog walker, model, personal trainer, and Russian supper club performer. Her bestselling adult thrillers THE TUNNELS, BONEYARD, THE GATEKEEPER, and KIDNAP & RANSOM have been published in North America, France, Denmark, Spain, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Australia. BONEYARD was a finalist for a 2009 Daphne du Maurier Award for Exc...more
More about Michelle Gagnon...
Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1) Don't Look Now (PERSEF0NE, #2) Strangelets The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1) Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)