Start by marking “Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #5)” as Want to Read:
Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #5)

Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp #7)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  25,420 ratings  ·  557 reviews
Fearless counterterrorism operative Mitch Rapp is called upon to fight against the world's most deadly terrorists in this harrowing political thriller by New York Times bestselling author Vince Flynn.

It's just seven days before Memorial Day, and the nation's capital is buzzing with last-minute preparations for the unveiling of the magnificent new memorial honoring the me

Published August 1st 2005 by Pocket Star (first published May 4th 2004)

Richard
8/10

After a lacklustre outing in the previous book it was good to have Mitch Rapp back up to full throttle. If anything, this was Mitch Rapp turned up to 11.

The plot was everything you could want in this sort of story, a one man army interrogating hostages to find out about a plot to let some big bombs of in Washington on Memorial Day and then the fun and frolics of trying to stop these events from unfolding.

I say this was Mitch Rapp turned up to 11 because, well he doesn't like terrorists in a
Tom
Here's my review system--I score on four categories and average them together for the number of stars. The four categories are: character development (are the characters deep and complex, plot (is it interesting), voice (is the narration smooth and engaging) and cliche level (is it predictable.)

Character development: 3 stars-- No surprises here...thriller stuff...not a ton of depth

Plot: 3 stars-- Okay...some suspense but no great twists

Voice: 5 stars-- Great--pleasant to read

Cliche level: 2 star
Linda Munro
Vince Flynn's novels concerning the American Assassin Mitch Rapp are amongst my favorite books to read. I originally grabbed a Flynn novel off the new fiction book rack at my local library and immediately fell in love with author and his Mitch Rapp character which lead me to read every book in the Mitch Rapp series.

Mitch Rapp is a low-profile, non-documented CIA operative who is sent around the world to hunt and kill terrorists bent on destroying the United States. He is the person we all want o
Toni Osborne
The nation's capital is buzzing with Memorial Day preparations. Despite the energy of the city, CIA operative Mitch Rapp senses trouble and the intelligence gathered is pointing to a major terrorist attack on the United States. Rapp wants to get to the sources and immediately leaves for Afghanistan, where he leads a Special Forces unit on a daring commando raid across the border into a remote Pakistani village. Their target: an Al Qaeda stronghold, once there, Rapp and his team discover plans fo ...more
Charles Stone
Vince Flynn has gone too far! At least that’s what the Dept of Energy thinks. The Department of Energy keeps track of our nuclear weapons. Memorial Day was too exacting in it’s details that the agency put the book on “security review” because they suspected that maybe Flynn’s sources may have told him some classified information. It was probably over something boring.

I can imagine some pencil necked geek saying, “How doe's he know what the blast radius of a 20 Kiloton nuclear weapon is?“

Mitch Ra
Allan Smulling
Another satisfying romp with one of my favorite 'cut through the red tape and get things done' characters; Mitch Rapp. This time Mitch is confronted with the threat of a nuclear device being detonated in the nation's capital. The regular Vince Flynn themes are present... Politicians are not experts in protecting our country; the Patriot act is a good thing; Islam is a peaceful religion except for the radical elements; and liberals are just getting in the way of truly protecting our great nation. ...more
Sandie
Although liberals and the ACLU would no doubt be horrified by the tactics of our protagonist, Mitch Rapp, I firmly believe that the general population of readers will find themselves cheering his methods of extracting information as he attempts to track down a group of terrorists attempting to cripple the infrastructure of the U. S. and kill hundreds of thousands by setting off an atomic device in Washington D.C. (No more plot details from here on).

My first Vince Flynn book, Term Limits, hooked
Michael Redd
Another white knuckled thriller...after reading Baldacci's Zero Day with John Puller, it is too bad that Rapp and Puller couldn't meet...two bad asses who don't put up with BS.
Monty
This series just keeps getting better. Yes, the characters tend to be one-sided in that they are wearing either white or black hats. Yet, the story moves along quickly with a peppering of personality clashes, shady politics, subplots, much tension--you know the drill. The author makes the story complex enough so that, even when you know what's going to happen, you don't know how it's going to happen. At this point I am hooked on this series and will go on to the next one.
Mary
If I had been against the torturing of suspected and/or known terrorists before reading this book, I would not be now. It's a terrific thriller and totally relevant to the current times in which we live. It isn't always pretty and most of the time horrendously ugly and violent but there are times when extraordinary measures are appropriate for the sake of winning a war against an incredible evil.
Kacey
Vince Flynn writes about a character called Mitch Rapp who is a tough go-get-em kinda guy. Total tough guy that gets the job done. I love a good character series and Flynn creates a great series with this character. All the books are good!
Erin
This book was too formulaic for my tastes. All characters were nothing short of arrogant, ego-driven, "superstars". They were sickishly more attractive, more athletic, more intelligent, and more connected than 99.99% of the real world population. They were spending an impossible 26+ hours a day working yet still managed to have time to be in impeccable physical condition. Not a single character managed to say anything insightful nor did they possess the ability to be introspective about their ci ...more
Sarah Jan
Vince Flynn writes political intrigue better than anyone I've read. His main character, Mitch Rapp is a no bullshit type of guy who I really like. Flynn's knowledge of his subject matter really impresses me as being realistic, but if it's made up, he sure fools me. I think his books are all great reads although this may have been my least favorite so far. Maybe I'm getting over dosed on the overall concept but I think in the case of Memorial Day, I missed the personal interactions with his wife ...more
Rick Hamlet
"Memorial Day" was pretty fast-paced. This is my first Vince Flynn book, but probably won't be my last. Despite the "do-everything-in-your-power-even-if-it's-not-legal" attitude of the main character, Mitch Rapp, I had a lot of respect for him. It kind of reminded me of the colonel in "A Few Good Men", but Rapp got away with the most brutal things to protect the American people. The colonel didn't.

While reading the book, I reflected on the political-correctness that is almost as lethal as a nucl
Fred
Another fast paced read from Vince Flynn. Mitch Rapp is back to his old self in this this book. Very little time spent on his personal life and there is much more action then in his previous book, "Executive Power" Mitch gets involved first hand in some great black ops. His unwavering determination to do the right thing and not be concerned with politics gets him in some big trouble with the powers of Washington, As we've all come to realize, Mitch really doesn't give a s**t what anyone thinks, ...more
Sean
I found this book to an incredible book. This book is unique in how it is written. It strongly lacks sophistication in writing style, however the reader is not affected because of the superb plot. The character development is adequate and gives enough information for you to understand the book. The characters are not developed enough to seem like a friend but developed enough so you know them. Overall this book wins a five out of five from me for its complex but easy to follow plot. A terrorist ...more
Sean
In this anti-terrorism thriller, no-holds-barred CIA agent Mitch Rapp finds himself in a race against the clock – and his own beaurocratic government – to find and stop a terrorist nuclear strike at the heart of the country. Mitch is fighting against certain political appointees who don’t see things his way and can’t accept the means that are necessary to protect the country, and he certainly shows them who they’re messing with in fine style.

I really enjoyed this novel, as I have with all of the
Jen
I liked it! They remind me a little of the Tom Clancy books, which are usually entertaining, so this was right up my alley for a quick, entertaining, action book. Mitch Rapp comes to the rescue yet again, saving America from not one, but two, nuclear weapons. And along the way, he gets to kick some radical terrorist butt with little regard for the rules (which fits, because terrorist have no regard for humanity, let alone rules), which is appealing to my sense of patriotism.

All in all, a fun, q
The Cats Mother
7th in the Mitch Rapp series (if you include the 2 prequels), this one starts with him on a mission to raid an Al-Qaeda camp in Pakistan searching for known terrorists, and finding out about a plot to detonate a nuclear bomb in Washington.
The POV shifts between our hero, self-serving politicians and the terrorists, as well as some poor saps who are introduced only to be killed off in horrible ways. I found the first part, which is about the mission, kind of boring, but then once the chase was on
Gareth Otton
Memorial Day is probably my favourite Mitch Rapp story that I have read to date (I am currently reading them in order starting with the prequels). The reason for this is very simple, this story had Mitch Rapp as the protagonist.

Now I know what you're thinking, all of the other books did as well didn't they? Technically that is true, they did, but not in the same way as Memorial Day. The Mitch Rapp series has been very much a multi-character series from the very beginning. Each book seems evenly
C. Shambaugh
Apr 08, 2014 C. Shambaugh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: David
Recommended to C. by: my dentist
7th in the Mitch Rapp series and the action is non-stop! I'm glad I did not hear about this series (thank you to my dentist) until last month. Out of the 13 books I have of he series, I am on #7 and tearing right through them, they are that good. It will be hard to wait for the new ones.
Mitch, a man's man, every woman's bad boy, the politicians pain-in-the-ass, and the bad guy's nightmare is at it again. This man will not let anything or anyone hurt America on his watch. He does it his way or
Cathy
This was the beginning of my love of Mitch Rapp...If you like politics, espionage and mystery you will enjoy this. I have read everything Vince Flynn has written and will not miss his new ones. For anyone who was a fan of Jack Bauer/24 tv show, you need to read this book and the many that followed. I was very suprised to learn Flynn did not write for 24, I was convinced he did. His books are page turners...the type of book that has you thinking 'one more chapter...just one more before I go to sl ...more
Jeremy
Six books in, and Vince Flynn continues to mature with every book. "Memorial Day" is also the first one of the Mitch Rapp novels that didn't seem out of date to me. Given the 'current events' type of nature regarding the subject matter, it would be hard (in my opinion) to keep these story lines from seeming old-hat.

Overall, this is a fast paced read that holds your attention and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Brenda
This author has delivered another pageturner. From the very beginning I was pulled in and could not wait to find out how Rapp was going to save the day this time. I was biteing my nails waiting to see if the Americans or the terrorists were going to win. I was glad to read that Rapp did not let politics and dumb people stand in his way of getting the job done. Flynn is one of my favorite authors.
Beth
Possibly one of my favorite Vince Flynn books so far. Once again, he combines the trouble of politics, terrorism, fighting for a cause, and the fine balance between them.

Favoriate quote involved how the terrorists never thought that the United States would attack back, because that is the selfishness and shortsightedness of martyrdom.
Keikosugisaka
I'm just going to do a review of the first Vince Flynn book I read although I've read a number of others. His books are completely entertaining reads and my first choice for reading something on vacation - he's definitely the new Tom Clancy of this era. See if you can guess that he's totally conservative when you read his books. :)
Andrew Smith
CIA agent Mitch Rapp saves the world (well part of the United States at least)... again. I love these books; complete macho hokum, of course, but hugely enjoyable just the same. Give me a cold night & a cup of tea (or a warm night and a cold beer, for that matter) & I'll happily settle down in Mitch's company again.
Bill
I like Flynn's writing style. It's very clear, he keeps the plot moving, there are no dull parts and his plots always fit together well. He's an easy, interesting read. The only thing that may bother some people is that his main character fights terrorists which means there is occasional intense violence.
Brad
Maybe I'm not as well read as a lot of you flaming liberals are, but I found the book compelling and satisfying. It felt good to believe that there are people out there who are willing and able to see through all the liberal BS and get the job done....now only if it were true.
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
Vince Flynn died June 19, 2013 after losing his battle with prostate cancer.

The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988. After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist. In 1990 he l
More about Vince Flynn...
American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1) Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9) Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8) Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp #5) Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp #3)