The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #1-5)

The Cleric Quintet Collector's Edition (The Cleric Quintet #1-5 omnibus)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4,317 ratings  ·  73 reviews
New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore's beloved Cleric Quintet novels, now in a trade paperback.

R.A. Salvatore's Cleric Quintet tells the story of the scholar-priest Cadderly, plucked from the halls of the Edificant Library to fulfill a heroic quest: to stop the chaos curse unleashed upon Faêrun.

This one-volume collection includes all five of the original Cler...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1991)

Samuel Lane
3.5 of 5 stars.

This book was in many was better than the Drizzt series. The characters are more relatable to the average reader and the main character faces a battle many of us do: One of faith and religion. The book is written in typical Salvatore fashion, it goes deep into the characters mental and logical thinking process and the fight scenes are very detailed. There were only two major flaws I found in this series.

1. The first book in the series was waaaay too slow. I understand that a found...more
Teresa
Previous series The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy, and Legacy of the Drow.

Though Drizzt is not actually in this series, some of the main characters end up in future series, so I'd recommend reading it before Paths of Darkness... etc.

Following this series is the Paths of Darkness series.

I believe that R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the fight scenes until I read other fantasy and felt like the battles were lacking in depth and detail. I'v...more
Dan Martin
Cadderly is a very awesome character, I was excited, more so than I can explain here, to find out I was reading a book following a chosen (if you are familiar with the forgotten realms universe, there is an enormous pantheon of gods, and gods have to ability to single out a follower they find exceptionally suited to their portfolio, and grant them special abilities; basically making them their avatar on this plane. Cadderly is such a chosen follower. And for a very interesting god I thought. Not...more
Carrie
I read the first four books, got to the begining of book 5 and moved on to books I was more excited about reading. As always with Salvatore, some of the characters were really ineresting, others really funny, but the man just can't write.
Vijayan Haridas
Trying to recall as much as possible, but one thing for sure. Another amazing masterpiece from R.A. Salvatore. If you are a Drizzt Do'Urden from Forgotten Realms fan, don't expect our hero in this series to be like him. Our hero in this is "Cadderly" whom is one towards peace loving and of a scholar whom has been selected by his god and becoming the Chosen of Denier for a great challenge which will change his entire life. In my overall aspect, it's a great book with a interesting storyline.
Elizabeth
Jared
Thus far I am only through the first two books of the quintet. I wasn't overly impressed with the first one (Canticle). I just didn't feel like there was much reason to actually sit down and read the book. I didn't care for the characters, the story was blase and I figured out what was happening long before Salvatore actually got to the point. And the daunted fight scenes were...well...nothing special quite frankly.

The second book (which name I currently forget) was much better than the first, w...more
Katrin
so this book took me ages. it was almost painful :P i'm very happy i finally conquered this quintet. i must say i was disappointed. i love salvatore, he is my hero! but i just simply could not get into the story. with drizzt it took me half a book or less to fall in love and crave everything that was ever written about drizzt. cadderly.. i read five books now and still i cannot sympathize with him. i'm not saying this book is badly written. it's what we expect from salvatore, although i thought...more
James
Marco
An unexpected delight...

Introduced in the many tales of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cadderly Bonaduce's tales alongside his wondrous comrades took some time to grow on me but I was glad for the effort as Salvatore has yet to disappoint.

While a love story threads throughout, it is Cadderly's journey of self-discovery from novice to instrument of the gods that pleases. The Bouldershoulder brothers threaten to steal the spotlight at times, Cadderly is the force of chaotic good that brings a new age of enlight...more
Matthew
Taking a break from the adventures of Drizzt could be just what the doctor, or in this case cleric, ordered. Salvatore takes us into the life of young Cadderly in this series rather than sticking by the characters he has been developing in his other books for so long. Salvatore usually writes very vivid battle scenes but in this book he goes for the magical aspect rather than the physical combat. What we get is a mixed bag. It all works in the end, but sometimes you wonder if some things really...more
Jeremy Laird
Loved this series! I had always meant to read it but put it off for years and once I finally did read it I wished I had sooner!
David
I think this is on par with the Icewind Dale trilogy. Anyone who has been reading Salvatore's works should not skip this. It's a long and complex story revolving around Cadderly the priest, and all of his tribulations, his growth, his faith, and his relationships with the people around him.

Cadderly is a very unique character and throughout the five novels, you can see how he grows with the experiences he gains. You can see him work through gray situations and how he rationalises and deals with m...more
Josh Shearer
The Cleric Quintet follows the story of Cadderly Bonaduce and his growth from a simple priest to a powerful cleric. Following in the foorsteps of his popular Drizzt Do'Urden, Cadderly takes the reigns of this five-book series and further explores the world known as the "Forgotten Realms." Each of the 5 books is well-written and could be a standalone novel itself. They were, in fact, originally released as such, but having them all back to back helps to drive the story forward in a more linear an...more
Chris Copac
I'd started this "book" once before. I think I even made it through the first book of the collection. But I never continued it. It felt slow, sluggish, weak almost. Now that I've finished the last of the collection, I understand why. Having followed Cadderly through all of his trials and tribulations, the ending was much more satisfying than I expected. If anyone who's tried to read this stopped like I did, I recommend giving the entire collection a fair chance.
Benjamin Collins
Its a great book, I powered through this Quintet in about two weeks. It meets a lot of stereotypes of fantasy, elves are silent and old, dwarves are loud and tough, dragons are mythical, but the main hero is a wimp. He's kinda like McGuyver in the first two books, using his wits to get himself out of situations and creating helpful gadgets. If you enjoy R.A. Salvatore and want to take a break from the brooding dark elf please read these books.
William
Completely different from what I'd been reading, which is what I needed. I'd never read a Fantasy book before -- I don't consider Lord of the Rings etc. and Harry Potter fantasy.

A good story line with good character development. The fighting descriptions became a bit tedious and the foundations of a lot of the fiction were lifted from Tolkien, but for simple entertainment value, not a bad book.
Ruth
Mar 24, 2008 Ruth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans and RPG geeks
Recommended to Ruth by: Steven Gott
Great characters, fun story, Salvatore's style brings the characters to life. A little formulaic, like many main stream fantasy stories, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. Also, for those who play D&D it helps one to see how much variation there is available while still following the D&D rules, since the characters in the books are confined to the Forgotten Realms D&D universe.
Lori
While Salvatore is considered a fantasy "classic" (or at least a staple), after you read a few of his series you begin to see the patterns. His fight scenes are trite; characters are typically one dimensional (two, if you're lucky); and tragedy follows in the wake of every protagonist. Enjoyable and quick reads, these books are nice for a rainy day (and for D&D fans).
Edward Enos
Jan 03, 2013 Edward Enos rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers - Liker's of Good vs. evil
I loved this book. I generally don’t get into new characters from an author who has created a character that I loved (Drittz), But as I started to read the first book in this series I couldn’t put it down and preceded to read all of the books in the series. After about ten years I bought the compilation and read the series again. Just as good as my first pass through.
Matt Downs
Often overlooked in Salvatore's works, the Cleric quintet is a wonderful series. Although the plotting and storytelling can at times be very slow, the character development I found very interesting, although this may simply be for my personal belief connection with character Cadderly Bonaduce, and his struggle with faith. Excellent read for the patient reader.
Sean Russell
A well paced set of stories. R. A. Salvatore is a wonderful author that creates wonderful characters. These stories take place in the world of Faerun (sp?). Dealing with a new cast of people from his long running series Dark Elf Saga.

Dealing with a young priest and his quest to stop a series of compounding evils from taking hold of the world.
Kylene
Another series by Salvatore, but it focuses on a character only briefly mentioned in the Icewind Dale stories, Cadderly the monk warrior. :) (Sounds weird but he's cool!) This series has a lot less violence/action than the Icewind Dale or Dark Elf Series but as always, Salvatore's writing is solid and the story line is fun and easy to follow.
Bethany
Decides to read this a second time.
I honestly forgot most of what happened as it had been over a decade. I feel as though I appreciated Salavtore's writing more.
I cannot really say much else. The story lines in each book are well written, and at the end of the series there is a sense of closure for these characters.
Peg Thon
If you are a fan of fantasy, this is a great R.A. Salvatore book. At over 1000 pages, it will keep you busy for a while, but you will surely find a character or characters that you love. As always, his fight scenes are so well written you can see them in front of you. Fantasy lovers unite....a great book to take you away.
Ben
A fun departure from Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt cycle, but still familiar to fans of that series. This omnibus edition encompasses 5 books, so it is difficult to make sweeping generalzations concerning it. However, its flaws are more than balanced by its strengths, making it a book worth your time.
Danny
I really loved the characters in this book. It was really cool how everything turned out and honestly I did not expect vampires to be in it. They weren't for very long, but still. I know that I found myself knowing things that would happen before they did, and that was awesome. I really enjoyed this book.
Brad
The entire quintet was really well written. I very much enjoyed this series from start to finish. Cadderly is a well put together hero, and although sometimes his inner turmoil seems 'angsty', the character builds nicely into someone that meshes well into later (or earlier) Forgotten Realms books.
One of the best books I've read. I LOVE all the Drizzt books and it was hard to be away from that group of characters while I read this (long) book, but Cadderly and the others were worth it. I can't wait to read it again, but first I have to finish the rest of the Drizzt series.
James Sowle
I have read these books multiple times. And every time I read them I notice something that I didn't catch before. It is always something different, and I am a huge fan of Mr. Salvatore. I am looking forward to the new Drizzt books that are being released.
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)