Start by marking “Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)

Last Light (Nick Stone #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,289 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Aborting an officially-sanctioned assassination attempt at the Houses of Parliament when he realises who the target is, Secret Intelligence Service 'deniable operator' Nick Stone is given a chilling ultimatum by his bosses: fly to Panama and complete the task, or he and Kelly, the 11-year-old girl in his guardianship, will be killed.

In Central America, Stone prepares for h
Published 2004 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Last Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Light

Jim McGowan
One of the weakest Nick Stone novels from McNab. The book starts off with the usual flash back to a previous mission of Stone's that will come to bear on the rest of the story, and the first few chapters are very promising. However, as the book progresses I found that it lost its pace, and became very plodding, lots of sections of traveling and preparation scenes that didn't really move the story along, making the book drag.
Helen
Yup. I picked up The Book Thief, read six pages, put it down, and picked up Andy McNab. What can I say.
Mark Easter
From Publishers Weekly

The fourth in a series of Nick Stone thrillers (after the well-received Firewall), this one gets off to an exciting if typical start as freelance assassin and ex-British SAS agent Stone orchestrates a precision team hit on a high-level target attending a snobby dessert social on the banks of the Thames. The target is to be identified by the team leader, Yes Man, who is to tap the victim on the left shoulder and wait for the snipers to do the dirty work. At the moment of c

Graham
Having become a recent fan of ex-SAS hero-turned-author Chris Ryan, I decided to try out his former ally/rival Andy McNab and see how his novels fared in comparison. What I discovered in Last Light was a thoughtful, precise writer of exceptionally detailed prose, who knows how to deliver a good action sequence just as well as Ryan.

The only problem – and it is a minor one – is that he throws in a lot more padding between such moments. There’s plenty of first-personal emotional stuff that doesn’t
Irma
This was an easy-to-read book, some parts about the search in the jungle were a bit tedious en problably I raed only half of those parts.
But over all I like this book and will certainly read more books about Nick Stone.
The book has some kind of an open ending so I'm curious if the story continues in another book.

Het boek las lekker weg, sommige stukken over de zoektocht in de jungle
vond ik wat langdradig en heb ik waarschijnlijk ook maar half gelezen. Maar over het algemeen vind ik dit boek zee
Kristina Chalmain
Being the fourth book in the Nick Stone series, the novelty has worn off, sure. But this is still an excellent action thriller.

But what I remember most about it are the excellent descriptions of the scenery. Such sections can be boring and make you wish the author would just get on with the story. But here they are well placed and excedllently written. I've never been to Panama, but when McNab describes the ride from the airport, you "see" it, and recall your own experiences from visits to othe
Charity
My husband asked me to read this series for something different than what I usually read. I enjoyed the first book, Remote Control, quite a bit. I soldiered on to Crisis Four and Firewall, both still pretty good reads. Then I started Last Light and I couldn't wait to be done with it. I was bored and frustrated and happy to be done with those side characters and the I pick up Liberation Day and some of those players are back.
I really get the urge to slap Nick upside the head and saying 'don't yo
Romy-Aimee
This book, I don't know it just... In the first three to four chapters there wasn't any movement in the story and there were to much details about wapons and he was constantly telling that Nick does this and then he does that and to many info was dumped on me. It took me one and a half year to get through this book, I just didn't enjoy how it was written. While it was okay, I just felt like the reader had to now every thing about wapons.
The plot was mwa, it was intresting I thought, but there w
Oriana Vick
Perfect for its genre. Exciting, page turning and well researched material. I love it!
Andy McNab, my tough hero. Where are you?
Jon
You always know what you're going to get with a McNab novel; a nice easy read with a few action scenes thrown in to keep you interested. They're never as well written as the likes of Tom Clancy, or as intelligent as Robert Ludlum, but at least you know where you stand. With Last Light it does take a while to really get going, but when it does I found it possibly the most enjoyable of the first four Nick Stone novels. This may be down to the continuing development of Stone's personal story, or si ...more
Gem
Number 4 in the Nick Stone series was nowhere near as good as the first. Admittedly, I seem to have skipped numbers 2 and 3, but I think it will take quite a lot of willpower to pick them up to be honest.

Although it was alright and kept the pages turning well enough, I found the plotline to be a bit tedious in places and some of the characters felt a bit flat. Nick Stone, however, was just as brilliant as ever and he was the only reason I kept at the book until the ending. Quite disappointing -
Sharon Thomson
I haven't read one of Andy McNab's books before. it is clear from this one that he has 'been there and done that'. he writes in detail about SAS facts and how he would move about the jungle. as a result he gets a bit bogged down in the detail. which is a shame because he tells a good story, not always going in the direction you think it is.

I'll try another of his before I write him off though.
Trung
Another in the long line of Nick Stone books. This one was starting to feel a bit more formulaic, but did veer back onto a decent track in the last area. Not the strongest of the books I've read so far, but there's a lot more to get through before all is said and done.

If anything, they're entertaining and easy to visualize, something I feel does add a lot to any book.
Chris Harrison
Have started reading his books in the order they were written as found I was missing out on things that were meaningful to the actual story. This was another good effort and the next book Liberation day which I am reading now answers some of the questions which I had after reading this such as what happened to Aaron
Dan Kinney
A hit man develops a conscience and spends the rest of the book fixing the mess it created. The first half of the book reads like a how-to manual complete with definitions of the liberally used acronyms. The rest of it was as if written by a different person and was actually a bit interesting.
Kaylol
When you read the summary the book looks awesome. When I read it it wasn't. I might not be a fan of military details. In fact it took me an eternity to finish the book. Only the last couple of chapters were captivating enough to keep me reading without stopping every couple of pages.
Michael Parker
So far I've made a start. I bought this novel for some light reading. Typical AM; full of information that isn't really necessary. It encourages the reader to speed read. Still, it's zinging along in the usual style. No doubt there'll be more murder and mayhem along the way.
Rik
In Dutch/Nederlands:

Spannend boek tot aan de laatste letter.
Ook zit er wat drama's in verwerkt.

Wel een actieboek. 4 uit 5 sterren.

In English/Engels:

Exciting book to the last letter.
Also there is some drama in this book.

However, also an action book. 4 out of 5 Stars.
Richard
Not too much thinking required with this one, which is what I want sometimes. The story moves along at a good pace, apart from a couple of patches.
Grace
This was enjoyable to read although I have to say that it was full of superflous technical detail that I thought spoilt it a bit.
Gary
This book was absolutely astonishing! I am definitely going to get the rest of the series!
Peter
was one of his better books, really enjoyed it.
Daniel Bratell
Not complicated. Borderline realistic.
  • The Hit List
  • The Hostage (Stratton, #1)
  • Blindfold Game
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Tunnel Vision
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)

“You know, my world may look like a pile of shit, but at least I sometimes get to sit on top of it” 0 likes