Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)

Dark Winter (Nick Stone #6)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  908 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Outside of Pakistan, the world's highest concentration of al-Qaeda lurks in South-East Asia and there, Nick Stone's bosses get wind of an act of terror that will dwarf even the nightmare of 9/11.

When Stone is despatched to Malaysia by the CIA to assassinate a biochemist, he expects his mission to be a straightforward part of the fight against Bin Laden. But there are compl...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Winter

Tom Fletcher
Aug 26, 2009 Tom Fletcher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Action but with a good storyline to back it up
After first setting eyes on this book, it didn't take me long to get right in on the action. You quickly become immersed in Nick Stone's secret life, featuring vivid characters and brilliant descriptions, partly because of Andy's real life experience in the field. The story is exciting and shocking as it twists and turns into a plotline that just a few pages before you completely wouldn't have expected. It is a testament to Andy's writing style that he manages to turn what would have been a good...more
David Roberts
I am reviewing the SAS thriller Dark Winter by Andy McNab which is a very good novel which I bought from a car boot sale. This is part of the Nick Stone series of thrillers about a deniable ops operative who used to be a SAS soldier and now does dangerous missions to make ends meet. He has a bit of a drink habit and an adopted orphan who has a prescription drug habit and desperately needs private treatment. The story opens in Malaysia where he kills an Al Quaida operative, Later there is the pos...more
Graham
Andy McNab’s long-running Nick Stone books started out on a high with no less than three brilliant novels, all of them action-packed and full of authentic suspense: Remote Control, Crisis Four and Firewall. Since then, the novels have been on a slide, and this one’s no exception.

The problem is a sense of lethargy running for the first two-thirds of the book. Yes, we get the message that Nick Stone is a covert operative, primarily a surveillance man, but there’s way too many chapters when absolut...more
Jim Whitefield
I would rate this, the sixth in the series, the best 'Nick Stone' thriller yet. Andy McNab takes the reader on a ride unsurpassed by other authors of this genre. His own personal experience is used to full extent. As the Daily Express put it, this was a 'heart-thumping' read. In this story, much of the action takes place in England and to my delight one chunk of the story takes place in King's Lynn (Norfolk) where I live. McNab uses real street names and locations, including the railway station,...more
Kim
Really enjoyed this book... got into it very quickly, then I couldn't put it down. I have only just discovered Andy McNab books, this is my second one and I have to say I am looking forward to reading more. I love a good thriller and enjoyed the journey this book took me on.
Tim
McNab rarely disappoints me and this was no exception, a really good read that has one's heart pounding and blood racing, transported into a world that non of us really wants to believe exists but almost certainly does.
Adrian
More like a 3 and a 1/2 than a 3 but not a 4. Was ok then improved in the last 100 pages or so when I actually became interested in what happened.
Was given a few of these books and doubt if I would buy another
Ben
This is a great book with a good story line that makes you what to keep reading it's a typical book of the Nick Stone series, action packed with the usual air of danger and excitement of a McNab novel.

This book is set manly in the UK Stone is a guardian to a troubled teenage girl haunted by the events of the past, the story is centred around a certain strain of the pelage that has fallen into the hands of terrorists.

I think this is a great book following the Nick Stone form but it’s not as good...more
Cameron Miller
Slow start, pretty average middle, better climax but disappointing finish
Tim Corke
A more solemn McNab novel than any of the others that I've read. It focusses on the streets of the UK and domestic terrorism concerns rather than the international adventures that crop up in other McNab books and paints a picture of another dimension that operates in society. It reminded me of the UK series Spooks. There is an interesting human dimension for Stone that adds more pressure into an already pressurised environment.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys war/military books as its fas...more
Peter McC
Not a patch on his earlier novels and if you have read them on the way to this point you are in for a lot of repeated material. This character is declining into one that is a perpetual victim whereas initially he was a bloke in control. Perhaps less frequent stories might improve the quality but I'm disinclined to keep reading this masochistic style.

The action is exciting but there is a lot of pain to read through between action scenes.
Big Shell
While McNab could easily played safe by writing another book just like a previous Nick Stone, this book took an unexpected turn on what it concentrated on. I was spoiled of the ending, which instead of destroying the suspense it only filled me with the ever building tension and dread for it. A closing of the first era of Stone, and I am scared that I will never find another book in the series that moved me as much as this one.
Trung
Another chapter in the not so great life of Andy McNab's ex-SAS operator, Nick Stone. This time, his life has essentially taken a turn for the worst. What turns out to be a pretty easy operation turns into a nightmare that ends badly for Stone. Glad to see a shake up like the one at the end of the book "early" in the series. It shows me that McNab's not afraid to get his readers stressed and in suspense in a pretty great way.
Sheri Clark
Mauro
Finora il miglior episodio della serie Nick Stone. Uno "spara spara" senza troppe pretese, ma con almeno il colpo di scena finale. Certo, se l'ex SAS riuscisse a essere un pelo meno prolisso nelle descrizioni... Ma glielo si perdona anche stavolta.
Martin
Grace
This for me was one of the better books in the Nick Stone series. It is written in a similar style to the others but the storyline is much better.
Justin
Bored and needed an easy read!!!
Kaylol
I only managed to read the first 31 pages before giving up. I couldn't make myself read more than a couple of pages at one go.
Anne
Loads of suspence. Thought it could have been shorter. Violence and anger. Challenging and thought provoking.
Paul Chandler
A much better book then the previous one, "Liberation Day". A good story with a sad ending. Well written!
Neil
An excellent book, I was genuinely gutted about Kelly.. had to remind myself it's only fiction!
Chandradip Dass
Dec 28, 2007 Chandradip Dass added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks without better stuff to read
not everyone with experience can express well
J.W. Finnigan
Gripping, vivid, emotional and sad. Good read.
Bill Davis
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Task Force Black
  • Without Mercy
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t...more
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)