Start by marking “Giaur” as Want to Read:
Giaur

Giaur

Powieść poetycka autorstwa George'a Byrona, opublikowana po raz pierwszy w 1813 roku. Stanowi jednocześnie pierwszy element jego serii utworów związanych z tematyką orientu. Jako jeden z pierwszych porusza temat wampirów. Giaur odniósł sukces, przyniósł swojemu autorowi dużą sławę. Polskiego przekładu dokonał m.in. Adam Mickiewicz.
Published September 2003 by Zielona Sowa (first published 1813)

To ask other readers questions about Giaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giaur

Bookdragon Sean
This is such a dark and twisted poem that sees a Byronic hero in his full force. The hero is persecuted and haunted by his actions; he has become less they he once was. He has murdered a man in the name of justice, but he is full regret for such a brutal act. His soul is divided. He is full of melancholy and woe, but at the route of his being is a real awareness that he is himself responsible for his own state. Thus he surrounds himself in darkness. He is a figure both contemptable and pitiable. ...more
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Lo mío definitivamente no es la poesía porque a) no entiendo la mitad porque siempre se van por las ramas y b) me da sueño. Lo bueno de ese poema es que sobre el final empecé a entender de qué iba la historia y el papel del vampiro (giaour) en ella :).
Drew
Oct 10, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, romanticism
I enjoyed the first of the so-called Turkish tales that Byron wrote. Good storytelling and pacing. I also enjoyed reading a note of his about the Muslim call to prayer. He writes that it is "solemn and beautiful beyond all the bells of Christendom" (p. 21). I felt the same way when I heard it in Morocco.
Byron's prowess in overdrive. Read this poem not for its narrative (which is virtually drowned by the poetry), but for its stunning lyricism.
Ira Bespalova
Jan 27, 2010 Ira Bespalova rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story about love, true feelings and vengeance. Worth reading!
Axel
Feb 24, 2017 Axel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, romanticism
George Byron mastered verse novel to perfection. His characters are the quintessences of a romantic period: lonely individualists, rebells against the commonly accepted schemes, adamant, mysterious, rejected by society. Giaour is a character who, despite his sins, awakens in us sympathy for him and his tragic fate.

The Giaour, also, shows romantic fascination of orientalism: Byron wrote it in 1813, right after his journey, which included Greece (then occupied by Turkey). Due to Byron engagement i
Ben Dutton
Feb 07, 2012 Ben Dutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When he was joined by his friends Percy Bysshe Shelley and his lover Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin (later Mary Shelley), in Switzerland, they discussed galvanism, and the reconstitution of human flesh, and they read German ghost stories, and then Lord Bryon suggested they write their own tales of the macabre. Out of this one meeting Mary Shelley produced Frankenstein, and Byron produced this, a short fragment of a proposed story, one that would help give birth to the romantic vampire myth.

Like Shel
Martin Michalek
Feb 26, 2012 Martin Michalek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written during the same mediterranean excursion that birthed Childe Harold, one would not be reproached for reading "The Giaour" the same way he reads "Childe Harold"—that is to say, reading it as Byron writing about (who else but) himself. Though he denied the pseudonymity of Harold until the fourth canto (and, like, didn't fool anyone), Byron never really gave a say on whether or not he was pseudonymously writing about himself with Hassan, the protagonist of this poem. One wonders, though, who ...more
Mary Havens
I'm glad this synopsis told me what this story is about because I had no clue. It was on my list because it was supposed to be one of the first times a vampire was mentioned in English Literature. And it was.
Byron's poetry is beautiful but I definitely don't understand it much :)
katherine drake
My favorite of Byron's. I remember finding a very small, very old, and very dusty version of it in the small library when I was growing up, and just being swept away by it's visual gate and punch perfect pacing.
Arquero
Jan 10, 2016 Arquero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Passion Despotism Vengeance
Hamide
Jul 12, 2007 Hamide rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lordbyron
I think that Lord Byron is the master of deconstructing the notion of Colonializastin in his own time.
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Zuzanna
Zuzanna rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2013
Aga
Aga rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Anna
Aug 01, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
I read it in high school and it was rather nice comparing to some other books from curriculum.
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Aqueda Veronica
Aqueda Veronica rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Drama Queen
Drama Queen rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Mohona
Mohona rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Anıl Eryılmaz
Anıl Eryılmaz rated it did not like it
May 25, 2016
Sona Petrossian
Sona Petrossian rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Sona Karapoghosyan
Sona Karapoghosyan rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Klashaa
Klashaa rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Noells
Noells rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Natalia
Natalia rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Psychopatka
Psychopatka rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Victor Cioban
Victor Cioban rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
  • Milton: A Poem (The Illuminated Books of William Blake, Vol 5)
  • Rozdzióbią nas kruki, wrony. Utwory powieściowe
  • Hero and Leander
  • Potop
  • The Tragedy of the Euro
  • Balladyna
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r ...more
More about George Gordon Byron...