The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet

The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet (Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Unexpected tales of the fantastic, & other odd musings by Nalo Hopkinson Karen Joy Fowler Karen Russell Jeffrey Ford among many others

Contains STORIES by the AMAZING Jeffrey Ford, the FABULOUS Karen Joy Fowler, the UNLIKELY Kelly Link, the THRILLING Nalo Hopkinson, the SHOCKINGLY GOOD Karen Russell, the UNNERVING James Sallis, and dozens of UNCANNY others, as well as U...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2007)

Rick
Fanzines emerged out of the 1930s science-fiction fan culture, eventually propagating among such active fandoms as music, role-playing games, and comics. Zines played a pivotal role in the development of new talent often publishing the best and brightest before they were well-known: Ray Bradbury, Greil Marcus, Robert Crumb, and Bruce Sterling, among others. The advent of the Internet ushered in the webzine, seemingly dooming the traditional zine, but experimental, postmodern science-fiction fanz...more
Dawn
Jan 26, 2009 Dawn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Kelly Link
This book holds the contents of a couple of zines created by Kelly Link and her husband. It has short stories, short-shorts, essays, film reviews and poems. There are lots of gems here, and lots that I skipped over. Highlights:

Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland - A husband finds a mysterious set of letters in his wife's possessions.

Happier Days - A series of high school reunions with a "Happy Days" theme begin to have drastic effects on the participants.

Help Wanted - Mer-Girl, Bat Girl and...more
Tim Storm
I may have had a different reaction to this collection had I encountered it earlier, but familiar as I am now with the kind of story that might appear in Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, this one didn't do it for me. The stories included within (there's a fair amount of poetry, too) are exactly my kind of genre--that difficult-to-label, slipstreamy, edge-of-fantasy stuff I've been drawn to in the past couple of years--but this didn't quite strike me as a best-of, unfortunately. The pieces by a...more
Lisa Grabenstetter
Probably the most perfect anthology I've ever read. With the exception of one story, I was engaged and excited throughout.
I'd already been a fan of Kelly Link's own endeavors prior to discovering LCRW, but that didn't stop me from being blown away by the skill exhibited in this volume.
I've since become a subscriber to LCRW (chocolate level), and I have to admit that it really does just keep getting better. That little hand-copied, stapled little pamphlet is my favorite among all of the literar...more
Jennifer Lauren Collins
Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet is one of those rare journals which is always fresh and surprising, and well worth watching. If you like the weird, the original, the speculative, the original, the strange, or even if you simply like good writing, it's worth taking note of. As a result, this is simply a fun anthology of work. Filled with an odd assortment of poetry, fiction, observation, and note, the book is incredibly entertaining. There's little doubt in my mind that any reader will find som...more
Joanna Compton-Mys
As a fan of both the short story and of the slightly unusual, I found this book to be delightful. As with any collection, there were a few stories that didn't resonate with me as much as others, but it was well worth the read overall.

I have to agree with a number of the other reviewers that "Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland" by Sarah Monette was one of the strongest pieces in the work, I think mostly because it was one of the most conventionally told stories and thus, for me, a little bi...more
Ellen
I randomly remember just now that I bought this the night before Spanky & Karen's wedding while wandering around Tyson's with Nattie and Georg. Also, I've just turned the book over for the first time, really, and see these notes on the back cover: "HIGH IN FIBER -- rough on your stomach! Keep contents unsettling -- SHAKE WELL. Waste DAYS of VALUABLE time that YOU could spend ONLINE!"

My short reaction to the book was "I liked some of the stories, and really disliked others"; Mina's was "I lov...more
Alan
May 19, 2009 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Slipstream surfers
These are writers who are write fearlessly, unafraid of following a good story wherever it might try to hide. Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet - the magazine itself, that is - was barely more than a decade old when this book was published. That's an eternity, perhaps, for a small-press publication, but it's still a remarkably short time in which to have attracted so many excellent, energetic genre-benders.

I recognized many familiar names from other places, like Karen Joy Fowler ("Heartland"), J...more
Rachel
Jun 24, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: patient fans of flash fiction and short stories, the weird, the fantastic, the gorgeous.
Recommended to Rachel by: Brooke
So I bought this book while I was still working at the Barnes and Noble. One of my friends had labeled it as her staff pick. It has a great cover and fascinating blurbs on the back, intriguing title, sounded like my kind of thing. I read the introduction and the first few stories, but didn't get too drawn in by them, though they were good. So this sat around for quite a while. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for something short and fun to read on a Saturday morning. I unearthed this s...more
Sessily
Jan 28, 2010 Sessily added it
Shelves: own
An excellent collection of short stories, essays, and other short writings. As with any collection, I didn't like every story I read, but there was only one story that I almost didn't finish reading. The rest ranged from "good" to "great" to "added to my list of favorites." Standout stories, falling into the great and favorites columns, are Kelly Link's "Travels With The Snow Queen," Nalo Hopkinson's "Tan-Tan and Dry Bone," Philip Raines and Harvey Welles' "The Fishie," Veronica Schanoes' "Serpe...more
Jennybeast
This one, I was not expecting to like. I thought I'd enjoy it, because I like Kelly Link, and a couple of her stories would be in there. But it's an anthology, so it's a crapshoot and what are the odds of most of the stories being phenomenal? I guess when your editors are Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant, your odds are pretty damn high. It's an amazing book. Some of the best writing I've come across in years, certainly the best collection of short stories I've ever encountered.

The writing! Great wr...more
Naomi
This is an amazing collection of the best kind of sci fi/fantasy. You see, growing up, I've always loved sci fi and fantasy, but I was always aware that 90% of the genre are total crap. By the time I was 12, I was sick of Prince Hapless going on a quest to prove himself to Lady Bigbreasts, and Princess Too-Many-Letters-in-her-Name proving girls can be magicians, too, not to mention all the robots and evil aliens and Captain Hapless proving himself to Token Female Bigbreasts. But my favorite book...more
Lianne Burwell
I definitely recommend that you be in the right mindset for this collection. The zine it's collected from is known for publishing stories that are somewhat out there, and this collection highlights it.

It also contains more than just short stories. Movie reviews, articles on whiskey and martinis. Poetry, and even artwork. All in all, it's a collection that you have to be in the mood for.

But there are flashes of brilliance. The story based on the fairy tale about the boy with the shard of glass in...more
lindsay
i am really not that into anthologies most of the time, so i only read the things in here that i immediately was drawn to or seemed like a thing i would like. kelly link's opening story is killer, just like pretty much everything she has ever written, and karen russell's contribution is so beautiful, as well as many others. i am not sure what to rate this, because not reading all of the pieces in here had less to do with them not being good and way more to do with my own lack of endurance and pa...more
Djinnjer
I'd never read a slipstream collection before. The experience was akin to walking through a gallery modern art. Several of the pieces I connected with and loved instantly. Some have grown on me since the initial encounter. There were a couple pieces which, although I can tell they were very finely crafted, I did not 'get' on any meaningful level. And then there were one or two to which my response was, "This is not art. What is it even doing here?"

Overall, though, I recommend the trip.
Miranda
Excellent collection. Every story was awesome!
Don
I was a little dubious about the cover blurb that declared this book "nothing short of a 'best practices' tutorial for the resuscitation of innovative literature." I'm not dubious anymore. The "other odd musings" of the book were interesting (I really did find the essay on scotch a nice diversion), and made the collection a better representation of the LCRW 'zine, itself.
SheaN
Kelly Link was what drew me to this book. I only made it halfway through before it was due back at the library but the stories were interesting and well written. Kelly Link, one of two editors put a story in and that shone above everything else I read. Worth reading, worth subscribing to the magazine although it doesn't compete with a book full of Kelly Link stories.
Sean
Except for the very last tale, this is probably one of the best and most consistently high-quality anthologies I've ever read. (The last story sucked. Sorry, Cara Spindler and David Erik Nelson.) It is chock-full of weird, wild, confusing, evocative and poetic prose, and weirder, wilder poetry. I highly recommend this to those who like their fiction short and strange.
Michael
Although this collection convinced me that I am TOTALLY SICK of reimagined postmodern fairy tales - entirely done with the concept - I still enjoyed much of it, notably stories by Link, Goss and Monette. The poetry and drink articles were also enjoyable.
Elena Mooney Graham
Man I love these guys. Im sick with jealousy that Im not part of this whole literary group. Its my lack of writing ability and oldladyosity that keeps me from thier sides. Oh well at least I have the Flanders PTA! (sound of gunshot)
Paula McConnell
I really enjoyed this collection of the out-there, wacky and weird tales and poems from the magazine. I had never heard of LCRW and no longer feel an orphan; I have finally found my tribe of writers. Great fun.
meeners
strong, fantastically eclectic collection. loved how it slips in and out and in-between genre conventions. favorite pieces were the ones by link, fowler, blair, schimel & rojo, muirhead, vukcevich...etc.!
MB
As in many anthologies, I felt bored by about 2/3's of the content; but a few of the stories were wonderful and made struggling through the rest worth-while for me.
Tanya
These were very hit or miss for me. I adore Kelly Link. I understand that not everyone can be like her. But they should try harder.
oriana
Dec 04, 2008 oriana marked it as to-read
I am not so into pomo sci-fi, but I love Kelly Link too much to not want to know about everything she touches.
Lesley
Jul 24, 2011 Lesley marked it as on-hiatus
The sort of book one dips into now and then rather than sitting down and reading at a gulp.
Susan
ongoing reading, dip in here, dip in there, really like most of what I am reading.
Pamster
Selections from the best zine ever.
Joey
I returned this book to the library early - oddly, because the stories are so excellent. I had to own it, knowing I'd re-read it many times. In a way, it's a primer for how to write outside the stagnant, boring, patriarchal academic/intellectual elite that infects most published fiction.
This is a collection of stories from many authors first published in the literary zine (yes, a real zine that still looks photocopied, although the book isn't) Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, edited by Kelly...more
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Ant King: And Other Stories
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • The New Weird
  • Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology
  • Meet Me in the Moon Room
  • Saffron and Brimstone: Strange Stories
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • In the Forest of Forgetting
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
Kelly Link is an American author of short stories born in 1969. Her stories might be described as slipstream or magic realism: sometimes a combination of science fiction, fantasy, horror, mystery, and realism.
More about Kelly Link...
Magic for Beginners Stranger Things Happen Pretty Monsters: Stories Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories Trampoline: An Anthology