Start by marking “The Tree” as Want to Read:
The Tree

The Tree

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  17 reviews
There is a river flowing near me, and I?ve watched that river change and grow. For eight hundred years I have lived here, through the wind, the fire, and the snow. This powerful song of an ancient Douglas fir celebrates the age-old cycle of life in the Pacific Rain Forest, revealing the interconnectedness of all things. From the gentle whisper of owls' wings to the hauntin ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Illumination Arts Publishing Company (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree

Earth Remembers When by Dawn WynneRebecca and the Strangest Garden on Earth by Imogen DaleyThe Big Field by Anne MorddelPaddle-to-the-Sea by Holling Clancy HollingThe Honeybee Man by Lela Nargi
Children's Environmental Education
6th out of 47 books — 30 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
48th out of 181 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
If you've ever spent time in the Pacific Rain Forests, you will begin to understand this song. The story is told by an ancient Douglas fir, of all it has seen in its long life of eight hundred years. The author shares that he spent time with this tree, listening to its 'song', thus the book was born. The words are beautifully illustrated by David Danioth in full colors, showing the forest life like the views of young owls learning to fly and feeling a grizzly's claws. When it projects its future ...more
Wendy
My favorite song from Dana Lyons and I love the illustrations that make the song come to life. One of the schools that my children attended did a slide show and sang the song. The all wrote letters to Mr. Lyons about the way the song impacted them. I can also tell you that the song impacts adults also. I have also read this book at the Earth Day Celebrations at libraries.
Cecilia
This book is beyond beautiful. If you are a lover of nature and just enjoy picture books then this book is definitely for you. I would use this book in a third grade or fourth grade class to teach about nature. This book takes a look at what a tree is to the environment and how everything around it works and could drastically change if removed. It not only appeals to your emotions but it really makes you think about the consequences of the removal of a species from an area. In a class, the teach ...more
Kristen Thompson
This book would be great for teaching about the rainforest and about helping preserve nature. In our society, we are polluting and cutting down a large majority of the nature around us. It will be especially important to stress the idea of helping preserve this and brainstorming ideas of how we can help to our students in the time they will be living in. It shows how trees have stories just like us. They actually have a lot more stories than we, as humans, do since they generally live a lot long ...more
Kelly
The images in this book are beautiful! Not much to the book, but can lead do meaningful discussion.
Nicki
From the trees perspective :)
Gwen Kaplan
This book contains stunning and astonishingly beautiful illustrations. The text is simple and understated, and (I think) elegantly tells a very moving story. I find it impossible to feel anything but respect and awe for the tree in the story (and others like it in real life) that have seen so much history and are so central to their environments.
Kristin
To a girl who grew up literally hugging trees, this was an amazing, beautiful, warm-and-fuzzy-yet-slightly-depressing read. The illustraions are so color-drenched and vivid that I might purchase a copy of this just so I can frame a few of the illustrations and display them in my house.
Kerri
I got this book from the library for my preschool class. Our theme for the week was the environment/Earth Day. It turned out that my 4 yr. old daughter really enjoyed it, especially the illustrations. It also has a good message.
Iroquois
love the artwork! and it's a great book for kids, especially if u want a book that teaches respect for the environment,life and biodiversity. would make a great "green" book/gift for kids.
Chrissy
Jun 30, 2008 Chrissy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Chrissy by: a teacher/co-worker
I LOVE this book. I can not say enough about the illustrations and the message! I recommend it for anyone - especially those who have children in their lives that they can share it with!
Great story to encourage kids to care about humans' effects on the environment. A simple poem weaves this short book together but it is the wonderful illustrations that shine.
Gorgeous illustrations support a poem about what a giant old tree has observed in the natural world. Heavy-handed message (save trees!) but may appeal to children.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Beautiful illustrations supplement the text that was originally a song by Dana Lyons. Owned by my sister the children's librarian, so I don't need a copy.
Tara
Very nice, calm and rhyming. I wonder about the children chaining themselves to the tree, but overall, I liked it.
Sara Jones
A few of the page layouts really captured me. It kind of went downhill after that.
Julie
Beautiful illustrations and story
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Hiroko
Hiroko marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Travis
Travis added it
May 26, 2015
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Sindy
Sindy is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015