Start by marking “Keeper of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Keeper of Dreams

Keeper of Dreams (Pastwatch)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  86 reviews
This huge collection of short stories by one of science fiction’s most beloved and popular writers is sure to please his millions of fans. The volume contains 22 stories written since 1990.
From the opening science fiction tale, "The Elephants of Poznan," we see the hand of a master at work making a familiar idea new, strange, and wonderful. “Angles” takes a sideways look a
Published April 13th 2010 by Tor Books (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeper of Dreams

Miriam
I always have mixed feelings about Card's short fiction, and that continued with this book. Several of the stories were great; I especially liked the Hatrack River ones. There were some others, such as "Angles," that I would like to see developed into novels. Some of them felt a little unfinished. All in all, though, it was an enjoyable read, and the great thing about it being a book of short fiction was that I didn't stay up all night reading it, the way I usually do when I get one of his books ...more
Josiah

Neighbours -
God Plays Fair Once Too Often -
Worthy to Be One of Us
Joy
I had wanted to read this collection for a while, and I noticed that the Kindle priced had dropped to something reasonable, so I picked it up a few weeks ago. The stories cover a wide range of topics, with only two stories from one of Card's well known settings (the Alvin Maker setting), and with most of them previously unpublished or published in a limited manner. I quite liked all but the Alvin Maker stories, although I was a bit surprised to find that many of the ones in the first section wou ...more
Charli
SLJ review:

Adult/High School— The prolific Card published one short story collection, Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card (Tor, 1990), which supposedly included all of the short fiction he was willing to share. But apparently there are now a lot more selections, as demonstrated by this hefty volume. This compilation, composed of science fiction, fantasy, literary tales, and Mormon stories contains no clunkers. There is some truly innovative and wonderful storytelling here. Ca
Nathan Gold
So here's what I like about Orson Scott Card: his universes are unique and well-detailed, his characters interact explosively, and his words don't get in the way of his stories. This book, as a short-story collection, clouds over some of Card's opportunities to shine. My favorite tales were set in a universe I already knew - that of his Alvin Maker series - because I slipped right back into a nicely-crafted world full of the details I love so much. But I found that the other stories all seemed t ...more
Cliff
I am admittedly a huge Orson Scott Card fan. He is nothing, if not prolific, and this is his second collection of short stories. The notes he adds to each story help to provide a sense of place for each tale, and yield a look into his writing methods.

But by the nature of them, it's hard to really get too much into them, because by the time you find yourself invested in the tale, it's practically over. This has the benefit of making it easy to find a place to stop, but it doesn't push you to keep
DaughterDaDa
Orson Scott Cards' "Keeper of Dreams" is a collection of his short stories previously published elsewhere. You might enjoy some of them (the quality of these stories is uneven) as an introduction to his style of writing; they are not all science fiction. One of the nice things about this collection is that he makes comments after each story in an afterword (which I usually read first).

I liked the science fiction short stories in the first section of this book the best. "Angles" and "Space Boy" w
Brian
As excited as I was to read another collection of Card short stories, my excitement fell short of surpassing my disappoint. This is not as engrossing as maps in a mirror, nor any Card full length. Unfortunately many of these stories felt somewhat underdeveloped; several of them went on to become minor subplots in other novels, and having previously read them in that context was variously interesting and frustrating. Interesting to note the changes in adapting them into another story and frustrat ...more
John
Technically, I did not read the WHOLE book. This book is a series of short stories and I read almost all of them. The ones that I left out were stories I had read before, or Christmas ones. Since we're in the middle of June, I wasn't really in the mood to read a couple of Christmas stories. But, since I read the vast majority of the book I feel that I can leave a small review. That being this was a great book, full of stories that can be read in one to two sittings. These stories range from the ...more
Andres Käver
Orsoni lühijuttude kogumik, 3 osas. Palju nn mormoonluse mõjutustega jutte.
Mckinley
Collection 1 is science fiction -wide ranging topics of stories.
Jennifer Kyrnin
This is a great book of short stories by OSC. It's not all science fiction and there are no stories in the Enderverse. What I found most interesting were the "Mormon" stories he includes in the collection. I don't know much about that culture, and those four stories were an interesting glimpse. There are also two stories about Alvin Maker, plus a number of fantasy and science fiction stories.

This is a very heavy book, so it was hard to read simply because the hardbound book was difficult to hol
Ariel Celeste
A large and interesting anthology of Card's work from his better known Ender and Alvin writing to unpublished or little known short stories to a few of his mormon stories. Some of them are great, some not so, a few even awful. He comments after each one and even points out which ones were flops or just didn't work, no matter how much he wanted them to. It was inspiring to see a writer I respect share his process as well as the good, the bad, and the awful. One story even felt very personal to me ...more
Sarah Kingston
So far, the stories are seeming like Card has gotten a little full of himself, and thinks he's a genius, kind of like Shyamalan in that last movie. I have loved Card's storytelling in the past, but it's not as crisp in these. The invention is there, though. And, as usual, there's a heavy cosmic/religious overtone, if it's not the outright center of story.

I have to say, though, that I loved the Noah story. It's a perfect example of (pretend) folk history, and how things get blown out of proporti
Robert
I shan't make the mistake of checking out a huge book of short stories from the library again -- how am I to dip back in and reread my favorites without a dogeared copy? Here, for my own reference, are some of those particularly worth re-reading:

Homeless in Hell
Inventing Lovers on the Phone
Feed the Baby of Love
Dust

One thing that surprised me was that I rather enjoyed his "Mormon stories" in this volume -- I remember finding them all rather blah in his earlier comprehensive collection.
Charlie Whitney
Loved the initial short concepts but many definitely read as failed book ideas as Card readily admits. This is not to say they aren't good stories, but for the majority I can understand why they weren't translated into full length novels. My interest notably trailed off once I entered the literary section. The commentary, while very insightful, in some cases I'd wish I'd not read. Still, a pretty interesting read and at the very least makes a revisit to Enders Game a necessity.
Betsy Dion
There were some great stories in this anthology. And despite being by the same author, there was enough variety that it did not feel repetitive. I liked the science fiction stories much more than the fanstasy stories, but I am not sure why. The small section of Mormon stories at the end were also quite interesting--there is a whole subculture there that I know almost nothing about. I also really liked the short bit after each story, giving some background on the idea/context/etc.
The quality of stories was uneven. I really liked the one about elephants that opened the book, and the one about the man who lost his wife and daughter, and the one about the girl who wished she was a fish. I liked the post-story author's notes. If you are a fan of the Alvin books, you'd want to read the two stories set in that world. There are a couple set in the Mack Street world as well.

Not a great book, but just fine as a read-a-story-before-you-go-to-bed book.
Jeraviz
Orson Scott Card reúne aquí gran parte de sus relatos y los divide en distintas temáticas: ciencía ficción, fantasía, literatura e historias mormonas. Como en toda antología, algúnos relatos destacan más que otros pero lo verdaderamente valioso en esta ocasión son las notas del autor al final de cada relato donde explica sus pensamientos y su método de trabajo.
Keri-Lynn
Not bad. All the stores were written by Orson Scott Card, not just edited or complied as some Sci-Fi short story collections I've read lately where his name was figured prominently. The stories were definitely a cut above and what I really appreciated was the author's personal note at the end of each story giving a little background on it and/or what inspired it. Some were excellent, some were good, and there was only one I didn't bother finishing.
Wendy Lu
Aug 10, 2012 Wendy Lu rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: nathan
brilliant. though i really shouldn't have gotten my hands on this the week of exams. 656 pages in a few days would've been fine any other time, but right now it probably wasn't the best executive decision...(goes back to study for ap stats' midterm)

favorites, for future reference:

Atlantis
Dust
Inventing Lovers on the Phone
Christmas at Helaman's House
Neighbors (four paragraphs in and i got it :D -- satire on nativity)
Worthy to Be One of Us
Joan
Just when I think Orson Scott Card can't possibly dazzle me any more, he does! I LOVED this anthology of short stories. Most of them have never been published before so they were all new reads for me. One of my favorite things about this book is that he includes personal notes along with each story about how the story came to be. His personal comments always make his already-good stories even better. This is one I'd love to own!
Michael
A pretty decent collection. Rating/reviewing anthologies is hard because I like some of the stories more than others, but most are 3-star or 4-star stories, I'd say. "Inventing Lovers on the Phone" was probably my favorite, although it's hard to say why I liked it so much.

The collection is divided into science fiction, fantasy (these two categories are 2/3 of the book), literary, Hatrack River, and Mormon-themed stories.
Melissa
A very mixed bag of genres. I enjoyed the diversity. There were plenty of stories I didn't enjoy, but in a volume this huge, that left plenty that I loved. If you like anything Orson Scott Card writes, you hae my personal guarantee there will be something in here for you.
Rick
This was a really interesting collection of short stories from Card. Some were better than others, but to me, the most interesting of all were the "Mormon" stories at the end of the book. Maybe I liked these as much as I did because I know they have almost no chance of ever being published in the Ensign, depicting some of the flaws in LDS (especially Utah-LDS) culture, and people trying to deal with them.
Aroura
Over 600 pages worth of short stories and jam-packed with fascinating and diverse, but almost always moving, tales. (Sci-fi, fantasy, "mormon", and realistic) My favorites are "Inventing Lovers on the Phone", "Feed the Baby of Love", "Dust", "50 WPM", "The Yazoo Queen", and "Worthy to be one of Us". I would recommend this book to everyone just to read "Feed the Baby of Love" though. A very very powerful story!
Tracy
These short stories were entertaining but I still have trouble reading short stories. I'm one who likes to get immersed in a book and you can't do that with a short story. Some of these stories were related to other books I've read by Card and it was fun to revisit those characters. It is like seeing an old friend again. The Mormon stories at the back made me homesick for Utah. I do miss the Rockies.
Vicki Christensen
I had read many of these stories already either in anthologies or online, but not all of them. I liked the Hatrack stories the best. I saved The Elephants of Poznan to read last as I had a strong reaction to it when I read it online; isn't it weird how stories can be different after time has passed and they are read a second time. It was still good, but a lot shorter than I remembered from before.
An Odd1
* "Keeper of Dreams" by Orson Scott Card is 22 short stories. After finding the first few gruesome with no point, I skipped to another, nope, then to the title story. That, and the preceding "Waterbaby", were part of the book "Magic Street" that I already read, and did not want to read again. I like the "what if" part, sometimes some of the development, but hardly ever the sort-of conclusion.
Karrie
I really enjoyed this book. I usually don't read short stories that much, but I read the whole thing. There were a few that I particularly enjoyed and I liked all the rest. This book reminded me how much I like Card's wiriting. He has suck an amazing imagination. It's been a long time since I have read any of his books, I can't wait to start reading some of the books of his I have not yet read.
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Elemental: The Tsunami  Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • Thirteen Phantasms and other Stories
  • The Perseids and Other Stories
  • We Never Talk about My Brother
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • The Collected Short Fiction of C.J. Cherryh
  • The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H.G. Wells
  • Come Armageddon (Tathea, #2)
  • Oddest of All (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #3)
  • Earthclan
  • Robota
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • Los Angeles Noir
  • The Dragon Quintet
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

Pastwatch (1 books)
  • Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“Cuando los comunistas decidían lo que era bueno y lo que era malo, actuaban de forma tan rígida como cualquier puritano.” 0 likes