Noisy Nora

Noisy Nora

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  624 ratings  ·  87 reviews
It's tough being the middle mouse. No one's paying any attention to Nora, so she decides to do something her family can't ignore: make noise. Nora slams windows, bangs doors, and upsets furniture, to no avail. It's not until she crashes out the door--and the house goes strangely silent--that her family realizes: a noisy Nora is much better than no Nora at all
Paperback
Published June 1976 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1973)

Megan McMahon
Rosemary Well’s book, Noisy Nora, is the story of a young mouse’s struggle to get attention from her parents in her home.

The main character, Nora, feels that she does not get enough attention from her parents because they are too busy with her siblings. She tries to get their attention by being mischievous and making loud, noisy disruptions. Nora realizes that this is not working, as her parents continually tell her to be quiet. She became so fed up that she decided to leave and not come back. W...more
Heidi
My sister reads this book better than anyone I know. I find myself quoting it many times. Too many people are not familiar with the book. They are missing out. I was quite excited to meet the author and have her sign copies--one for each family member who had kids. I hope they continue the Nora legacy. :-)

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Using an ever-loved favorite for storytime--WITH all my (aka my sister's) sound effects--FANTASTIC! Both groups loved it. And I learned by the Thursday group to slow it dow...more
Jess
Nora has nothing to do but make a ruckus as she waits for her mother to feed the baby and her father to play chess with her sister. On and on it goes for poor Nora, but nothing gets anyone’s attention in this rhyming story until Nora says she’s running away. The illustrations are busy and fun, with Wells’ characteristic roly-poly rabbits, and so full of humor that’s it not hard to sympathize with Nora for flying a kite down the stairs, slamming the doors, and ultimately emerging from the broom c...more
Marguerite
A favorite in our household, and one we can still recite from memory, decades after we read it to our kids. Rosemary Wells has a firm but gentle grasp of family dynamics. The illustrations (in the 1973 edition we have) don't overwhelm the story. This was our favorite Wells' creation, followed by Timothy Goes to School and Hazel's Amazing Mother.
Rachel
This was one we had at my house when I was a kid (thanks Mom and Dad). We checked it out at the library recently and I remembered how much I love it. It does contain a "running away" reference, but she actually hides in the closet rather than running away. I love how it so accurately describes the life of a middle child.
Ashlee
This book is on our 1st grade reading list and I should have previewed it better. Over and over in the book, Nora's sister says, "Nora, why are you so dumb?" I hate that word and regretted my son had read it so many times without me.
Shaquita
Noisy Nora was about a young mouse named, Nora, who hated to wait; so she felt that she needed to do anything and everything to win the attention of her family. She would make as much ruckus as possible just so that her parents can pay attention to her. Maybe you have a student like Nora who feels left out sometimes or hates waiting as well, so in order to get that desired attention they act out. This would be a good book to read to that impatient child. The only thing I would change about the b...more
Blair
Rosemary Wells's book Yoko has long been one of my favorite picture books, and my almost-two-year-old loves it, too. Therefore I had high expectations for Noisy Nora. We were even more excited about it because the main character, Nora, shares my daughter's first name.

We enjoyed the whimsical illustrations, but the story was disappointing. Although I appreciate the easy cadence of the rhyme, the story falls flat. It's about a young mouse who, when her parents are always busy tending her older and...more
Jamie
Poor Nora, everyone ignores her. Her parents are always doing something with her other brothers and sisters. Nora wanted attention, and everyone tells her that she has to wait. Nora does not want to wait. To get attention, Nora pretends to run away from home.
The illustrations for this edition of Noisy Nora have been completely redrawn from its original printing over 30 years ago. The illustrations are absolutely adorable. The mice are very friendly looking and colorful. The words go perfectly wi...more
Aprils
I didn't like the way Nora's sister called her dumb, so when I read the story aloud during storytime, I replaced the word "dumb" with "noisy." The book worked well in Spanish, too. I replaced the word "revoltosa" with "ruidosa". I thought the illustrations were a lot of fun. I loved seeing all of the objects in mid-air, right before they crashed on the floor.
Pam
I love this book. And it is very apt at describing my middlest (and to some extent, my youngest...well, and my oldest, too, come to think of it). It's funny and well-written. I do get why some people might not like the use of the word dumb, and also that it can make poor Nora in the book seem like trouble, but what can I say? My family really enjoys this book.
Amar Pai
Via: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, You’re Fucked: 10 Tips For Avoiding Terrible Children’s Books

Full list of recommendations from that article:

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems
The Paper Princess, by Elisa Kleven
The Amazing Machines series by Ant Parker and Tony Mitton
Noisy Nora, b...more
Crystal Jackson
This book has great vocabulary words that can be introduced to young children. One of the words used is cellar. Like Peter's Chair by Ezra Jack Keats, this is a great book for children who have younger or older siblings. They will be able to relate because they have probably felt ignored by their family.
Nicole Tuttle
It's a great book for kids. I remember my mom reading it to us when we were little and we actually had the book memorized by heart for years! I later bought the book for a friend of mine for their kid. If you got kids this is one they may find as one of their favorites too!
Samantha
Pensé que este libro fue muy lindo. Nora realmente enseñó a todos una lección. Nora me recuerda mucho a otro conejo travieso que Wells ha escrito. Cuando sus padres y hermanos no prestan atención a ella, Nora decide tomar las cosas en su propia pata. =)

Now for the English version. I guess when I read the Spanish version, I must have overlooked something--because this book is far from 3 stars. I won't change it now, but I will add an update in this review... 2/5. Why? Simply for the fact that Nor...more
Fourborne
I have the original book which I love for the black and white illustrations with only the clothing colored. I was in the attic when I came across this book I use to read to my children.
Adrienne
This is a realistic look at how a child asks for attention and what she might do when she doesn't get it--but luckily, it works out :) Funny and cute but also meaningful.
April Smith
She makes a lot of noise and then leaves because her family always yells at her. When she comes back she makes sure she makes a lot of noise.
Dolly
Dec 01, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
This is a good book for young children, especially those middle children who are too young for many activities and yet too old to be constantly monitored and attended to. The illustrations are classic Rosemary Wells and the narrative is simple and good for reading aloud. Our girls have really enjoyed reading books by Rosemary Wells and we will look for more books by her at our local library!
Patricia
En este libro, Nora se enoja y se comporta mal, porque ella no está recibiendo la atención de su familia. Ella incluso se escapa. Afortunadamente, su familia la encuentra en el extremo. 3.6 AR Level libro.

In the English version of the book NOISY NORA, Nora is a very upset little mouse girl who is mad, because her parents never have time for her. Nora misbehaves and then tells everyone that she is going to runaway--she hides in the closet instead. The rhyme scheme is good and the illustrations a...more
Deidra
Written and illustrated by Rosemary Wells, published by Puffin, copyright 2000.

Grade level: 1-3

Nora is a middle child, and between her big sister and little brother, she can't get her parents attention. So what does she do? SHE MAKES NOISE!!

Kids will love the story since they can relate to it, and they rhymes are catchy and fun. But, they don't have to be a middle child to understand how Nora is feeling.

Possible themes/units: family, getting attention in a positive way
Josiah
This is a fun story, one that I'm sure will be passed down through the generations of many families. Rosemary Wells has a certain way of drawing mischief in her character's eyes, a way that makes them immensely likable the whole time they're acting the part of the scamp.
Nora is every bit as interesting and and funny as Max (well, at least almost as funny!), and I like to read this short book now just as much as ever. I would give Noisy Nora one and a half stars.
This one was hard to rate because I have such fond memories of reading it as a child - in fact, I can still quote the entire book from memory. BUT, as I sat down to read it to my 3.5 and 2 year old girls, I found I just could not bring myself to read the "Nora!" said her sister, "Why are you so dumb?" part. And since it is a book that rhymes all the way through, it just doesn't work if you leave that part out. We will not be keeping it on our shelf.
Kristin
When Nora feels ignored by her parents, she creates a ruckus to get attention.
I like this book a lot because it is a pretty easy read (not much text on each page plus it is repetitive) but it still has some important and easy to teach themes. The kids really got the concept of wanting more attention and we could have probably had some good discussions if I hadn't been on a time constraint due to being observed. The illustrations are great as well.
Amy
I love it. It is the story of Nora who is loud and obnoxious in her behavior. The book shows her exploits and then her parents telling her to be quiet and one of her siblings asking; "Nora, why are you so DUMB?"
There are some parents/teachers/librarians who don't like the use of "dumb" in the book but I think it is really funny and the kids love it. Go Rosemary Wells!!!!
Nora's family is busy with their evening activities -- taking a bath and reading a book. Nora, feeling a bit neglected, makes a bunch of noise and is told to be quiet. Much to my kindergarten students' horror, her older sister also tells her she's so dumb. A fun story that my students enjoyed and that I look forward to including in my Kindergarten Rosemary Wells unit.
Satin
Nora reminds me a lot of my middle sister. She is constantaly doing things to seek the attention she recieved prior to the birth of our baby sister. This is a great book to use with students who do not know how to deal with the new baby, because it shows them that their family still cares for them; they are just busy.
Kim Browning
I love this book, but only gave it four stars because it uses the word "dumb". "Dumb" is perfectly fine with me, but am not sure how that would go over in a school setting? This is a book that is about how everyone in Nora's family is too busy to give Nora any attention. The rhymes of this book make it fun to read aloud.
Sephire
This is a good book to read when you have students that may do too much for your attention. Noisy Nora wants some attention from her parents. They are paying her brother and sister attention, but not her. So she does things, noisy things, to try to get their attention. Eventually they give her some attention. Good book!
Julian
I absolutely love this book. I read this book both in my pre-K and kindergarten classes and both groups loved it equally. In pre-k I used this book to discuss fellings associated with having siblings and then we did a "feeling puppet" as an after activity. The kids and I loved doing it together and you will do.
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Mitchell's License
  • Monkey And Me
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog
  • Whopper Cake
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Yoko On the Blue Comet Bunny Money Red Moon at Sharpsburg