Start by marking “Noisy Nora” as Want to Read:
Noisy Nora

Noisy Nora

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  978 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
It's tough being the middle mouse. No one's paying any attention to Nora, so she decides to do something her family can't ignore: make noise. Nora slams windows, bangs doors, and upsets furniture, to no avail. It's not until she crashes out the door--and the house goes strangely silent--that her family realizes: a noisy Nora is much better than no Nora at all
Paperback
Published June 1976 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1973)

Megan McMahon
Rosemary Well’s book, Noisy Nora, is the story of a young mouse’s struggle to get attention from her parents in her home.

The main character, Nora, feels that she does not get enough attention from her parents because they are too busy with her siblings. She tries to get their attention by being mischievous and making loud, noisy disruptions. Nora realizes that this is not working, as her parents continually tell her to be quiet. She became so fed up that she decided to leave and not come back. W
Beyond the Pages
First of all, I absolutely did not like the word "dumb" as part of this story. We do not speak this way in our household. I was aghast when I came upon the word.

This book was about a middle child who wanted a little bit of attention. She exhibited acts that could easily be described in association with a temper tantrum. Unfortunately, the parents of this child neglected her until she went missing.

I definitely could have given a lower score than the one I gave, however, I elected to bump my rati
Heidi
My sister reads this book better than anyone I know. I find myself quoting it many times. Too many people are not familiar with the book. They are missing out. I was quite excited to meet the author and have her sign copies--one for each family member who had kids. I hope they continue the Nora legacy. :-)

3/2/10 & 3/4/10: Using an ever-loved favorite for storytime--WITH all my (aka my sister's) sound effects--FANTASTIC! Both groups loved it. And I learned by the Thursday group to slow it dow
Jess
Oct 25, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nora has nothing to do but make a ruckus as she waits for her mother to feed the baby and her father to play chess with her sister. On and on it goes for poor Nora, but nothing gets anyone’s attention in this rhyming story until Nora says she’s running away. The illustrations are busy and fun, with Wells’ characteristic roly-poly rabbits, and so full of humor that’s it not hard to sympathize with Nora for flying a kite down the stairs, slamming the doors, and ultimately emerging from the broom c ...more
Kathryn
Jan 17, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captures perfectly the crushing agony of being the middle sibling and explores the jarring shifts that can occur in the family dynamic when the invisibled child takes matters into her own hands. If I could give it more than five stars, I would.
Naomi
Sep 14, 2015 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monumental crashes make the best entrances. I always try to announce my presence with one. I learned it from this book. Everything I need to know I learned pre-kindergarten.
Personal reaction: I did not like this book really at all. I didn't like the plot of the story, as I felt it wasn't engaging or interesting and I had to read it twice for it to make sense. I also really did not like that it kept using the phrase "why are you so dumb?" This is not a book I would choose for my students to read.

Use in the classroom:

1. Read aloud for curricular connection: This book is too simple for a read aloud. It would not be a good choice for a read aloud.

2. Independent readin
Brenna Mclean
Nov 11, 2014 Brenna Mclean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noisy Nora is a short and cute story about a young mouse who wants attention from her family. Her parents are always busy doing something for her siblings and never have time to play with her or do what she wants. She tries to get attention by making noise and causing a commotion in the house. Finally, after she tried just about everything, she decides to run away and see if her family notices. Since the house is finally quiet, her family notices right away and begins to search for her. Nora com ...more
Marguerite
Apr 10, 2009 Marguerite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff
A favorite in our household, and one we can still recite from memory, decades after we read it to our kids. Rosemary Wells has a firm but gentle grasp of family dynamics. The illustrations (in the 1973 edition we have) don't overwhelm the story. This was our favorite Wells' creation, followed by Timothy Goes to School and Hazel's Amazing Mother.
Rachel
Oct 09, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one we had at my house when I was a kid (thanks Mom and Dad). We checked it out at the library recently and I remembered how much I love it. It does contain a "running away" reference, but she actually hides in the closet rather than running away. I love how it so accurately describes the life of a middle child.
Ashlee
This book is on our 1st grade reading list and I should have previewed it better. Over and over in the book, Nora's sister says, "Nora, why are you so dumb?" I hate that word and regretted my son had read it so many times without me.
Miriam
Nov 09, 2008 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading aloud
Shelves: picture
It must be 20 years since I read this book, but I still have it memorized from rereading it so many times to my little sister. I think she empathized with Nora.
Susan
Dec 18, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-no-no, 2015, storybook
A horrible, terrible story to read to children. This book normalizes emotional neglect to borderline abusive behaviour. Plus, the older sister regularly calls the younger one 'dumb' and the parents allow it. Nora is the obvious scapegoat in a dysfunctional, abusive family. I get that this was written in the 1970s but to quote John Oliver, 'how is this still a thing'?!?

This book should have been left in the dark ages of childrearing rather than carried forward to harm another generation of childr
Shaquita
Noisy Nora was about a young mouse named, Nora, who hated to wait; so she felt that she needed to do anything and everything to win the attention of her family. She would make as much ruckus as possible just so that her parents can pay attention to her. Maybe you have a student like Nora who feels left out sometimes or hates waiting as well, so in order to get that desired attention they act out. This would be a good book to read to that impatient child. The only thing I would change about the b ...more
K.
Jul 25, 2014 K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the middle child can be hard and lonely at times. Nobody knows that better than Nora. No matter how much noise she makes in an effort to get the attention of her family, Nora still feels left out. So she decides to runaway and see if her family will miss her.

We lovely Rosemary Wells and all of her children's books. This was a great read and a reminder to us as parents to make sure we are giving all of our children as close to equal amounts of our attention as we can.
Blair
Rosemary Wells's book Yoko has long been one of my favorite picture books, and my almost-two-year-old loves it, too. Therefore I had high expectations for Noisy Nora. We were even more excited about it because the main character, Nora, shares my daughter's first name.

We enjoyed the whimsical illustrations, but the story was disappointing. Although I appreciate the easy cadence of the rhyme, the story falls flat. It's about a young mouse who, when her parents are always busy tending her older and
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Nora, everyone ignores her. Her parents are always doing something with her other brothers and sisters. Nora wanted attention, and everyone tells her that she has to wait. Nora does not want to wait. To get attention, Nora pretends to run away from home.
The illustrations for this edition of Noisy Nora have been completely redrawn from its original printing over 30 years ago. The illustrations are absolutely adorable. The mice are very friendly looking and colorful. The words go perfectly wi
Zoraya Brown
Noisy Nora is a story of adaptation that I feel would be a useful way to have children share a time when they felt as if they were not receiving enough attention from their caregivers and how it made them feel, as well as how they reacted, thinking of alternate actions to these behaviors. Discussions such as this promotes the development of cognition through recollection and the telling of a story, social- emotion, adaptive development and behavior.
Matthew
Jun 07, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the neglected middle child and the lengths that they'll go to for some well-earned attention has never been so simply presented. This is reprint of a book that was originally published in the 1970s, yet it hasn't lost any of its original pertinence. Nora does what any child that craves attention might do, go to any length to draw that attention they desire. Simple book, but it could lead to real discussion.
Brianna Sobba
I personally did not really like the book. Its about a child that wants attention and does everything she shouldn't to get the attention. I know that is normal and that kids ask for attention in none pleasant ways. I would not let my students read this book because it says the word dumb in it. I don't want my students calling each other dumb because they think its okay, because its in a book. For that reason I only gave the book 3 stars.
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a middle child so you'd think I could relate pretty well with Nora. Um, no, I didn't.

I'm not a big fan of Rosemary Wells, and this book is a good example of why I'm not. Her older sister tells her she's dumb, and Nora thinks the solution to her problem is running away (or pretending to run away) -- not exactly the kind of behavior I would want any child to model.
Aprils
Jun 12, 2014 Aprils rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the way Nora's sister called her dumb, so when I read the story aloud during storytime, I replaced the word "dumb" with "noisy." The book worked well in Spanish, too. I replaced the word "revoltosa" with "ruidosa". I thought the illustrations were a lot of fun. I loved seeing all of the objects in mid-air, right before they crashed on the floor.
Pam
Apr 30, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. And it is very apt at describing my middlest (and to some extent, my youngest...well, and my oldest, too, come to think of it). It's funny and well-written. I do get why some people might not like the use of the word dumb, and also that it can make poor Nora in the book seem like trouble, but what can I say? My family really enjoys this book.
Jenny
Feb 24, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully colorful and simple book about parents' love for their children. Children can relate to the fact that sometimes it seems parents do not give enough attention to their chilren, but they always love them and miss them just the same. All parents miss their children when they're gone and I think this book shows it well.
Amar Pai
Mar 06, 2012 Amar Pai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Via: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, You’re Fucked: 10 Tips For Avoiding Terrible Children’s Books

Full list of recommendations from that article:

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems
The Paper Princess, by Elisa Kleven
The Amazing Machines series by Ant Parker and Tony Mitton
Noisy Nora, b
Crystal Jackson
This book has great vocabulary words that can be introduced to young children. One of the words used is cellar. Like Peter's Chair by Ezra Jack Keats, this is a great book for children who have younger or older siblings. They will be able to relate because they have probably felt ignored by their family.
Nicole Tuttle
Jul 05, 2014 Nicole Tuttle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book for kids. I remember my mom reading it to us when we were little and we actually had the book memorized by heart for years! I later bought the book for a friend of mine for their kid. If you got kids this is one they may find as one of their favorites too!
Halee
Sep 12, 2014 Halee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: red-315, picture-book
Reading Level: 2.6
Interest Level: K-3

A picture book that tells a story that many in your classroom may be able to relate to. Themes of having to wait and feeling left out out are great discussion points that can prompt students own relatable stories.
Samantha
Pensé que este libro fue muy lindo. Nora realmente enseñó a todos una lección. Nora me recuerda mucho a otro conejo travieso que Wells ha escrito. Cuando sus padres y hermanos no prestan atención a ella, Nora decide tomar las cosas en su propia pata. =)

Now for the English version. I guess when I read the Spanish version, I must have overlooked something--because this book is far from 3 stars. I won't change it now, but I will add an update in this review... 2/5. Why? Simply for the fact that Nor
Rebecca
Jan 14, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With an older sister and baby brother, Nora gets lost in the shuffle. She makes lots of noise, but is told to keep quiet. It isn't until she disappears that her parents and siblings start to miss her. Middle children will especially love this book.
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • The Chick and the Duckling
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Clown
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • The Terrible Plop

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...